PDA

View Full Version : Update: Victor Martinez Signs with DET

Hitmen77
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/23/report-the-tigers-are-close-to-signing-victor-martinez/

Sockinchisox
11-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Worth nothing that the Sox apparently bid on Martinez.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/7090738982559745

Rockabilly
11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I rather have them sign Martinez over Dunn

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Well, so much for that Tigers "youth movement".

soltrain21
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Worth nothing that the Sox apparently bid on Martinez.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/7090738982559745

Wonder what they offered.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Wonder what they offered.

Fifty cents...they'd have offered a dollar, but Kenny Williams didn't have it.

soltrain21
11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Fifty cents...they'd have offered a dollar, but Kenny Williams didn't have it.

Yeah. I'm wondering who gets this money that didn't go to Victor. It was probably a super lowball offer to say "well, we tried" anyway.

soxinem1
11-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I think you have to re-sign AJ now. You can't have MIN with Mauer and DET with Victor, and us with, well, nothing behind the plate.

asindc
11-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah. I'm wondering who gets this money that didn't go to Victor. It was probably a super lowball offer to say "well, we tried" anyway.

You mean like they offered to Toriiiii Hunter, Fukodome, and Johnny Damon, for instances.

soxinem1
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah. I'm wondering who gets this money that didn't go to Victor.

http://blog.prorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/johnny_damon1.jpg

'Uh, I'll take it'.

Rockabilly
11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Sox offer was 3 yrs/48M. We better use this money elsewhere

FloridaTigers
11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, so much for that Tigers "youth movement".

Meh, it wasn't a real youth movement. We had to use the Toledo Mud Hens squad since half of our starters were injured. And they were incredibly mediocre.

I welcome this signing. Now sign Dunn and I'm a happy Tigers fan.

TheOldRoman
11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
You mean like they offered to Toriiiii Hunter, Fukodome, and Johnny Damon, for instances.Yep. Furthermore, the fact that it was reported by Rosenthal with not a word printed from the Sox beat reporters shows that they din't make this offer (and make it public) just to pretend like they are trying.

And if the 3yr/$48 deal Rockabilly posted was real, I am glad the Sox won't get him. He isn't a good enough DH for $16 mil a year and he is no longer a catcher.

Hitmen77
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Sox offer was 3 yrs/48M. We better use this money elsewhere

If that's true, that means the Sox were going to offer him (an average of) $16 million per year?:o:

I'm not saying I want the Sox to commit $48 million to him over the next 3 years, but wouldn't 3/48 more likely than not be more money in the end for Martinez over the next 4 years? It's almost all the Detroit amount in 1 fewer year and then all he needs in 3 years is to get a $3 million contract somewhere to come out ahead.

aryzner
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I think you have to re-sign AJ now. You can't have MIN with Mauer and DET with Victor, and us with, well, nothing behind the plate.
Agreed. I shudder to think of the other non-AJ options now unless Kenny has something great up his sleeve, which I doubt he does.

dickallen15
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
The report made the offer seem quite competitive. Higher per year, one year short. I don't think the Sox are in the PR department with free agent near misses. I think they realize their fans would be shocked if they signed any of the big names. Coming in 2nd or 3rd on the field and off, is beyond old for the White Sox and their fans.

I think Martinez was a guy KW would initially use as a C and then move him to 1B/DH. Call me crazy, but I also believe KW still values Flowers and while he's not ready to give him a shot right now to be the starter, he thinks 2010 was a bump in the road and he's still on his radar.

asindc
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Yep. Furthermore, the fact that it was reported by Rosenthal with not a word printed from the Sox beat reporters shows that they din't make this offer (and make it public) just to pretend like they are trying.

And if the 3yr/$48 deal Rockabilly posted was real, I am glad the Sox won't get him. He isn't a good enough DH for $16 mil a year and he is no longer a catcher.

But, but... how else will the Sox win the free agent sweepstakes if they don't overpay, I mean, pay these guys what they are asking for?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Meh, it wasn't a real youth movement. We had to use the Toledo Mud Hens squad since half of our starters were injured. And they were incredibly mediocre.

I welcome this signing. Now sign Dunn and I'm a happy Tigers fan.

And, pray tell, where will Dunn play in Detroit?

Please don't say left field...it's too early to laugh hysterically, and I have a sore throat anyway.

doublem23
11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
And, pray tell, where will Dunn play in Detroit?

Please don't say left field...it's too early to laugh hysterically, and I have a sore throat anyway.

I would assume he'd be their DH in leiu of Johnny Damon.

Fenway
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Sean McAdam from CSN NE says it was for 4 years 50 million

Red Sox will bank on Salty with Tek back as a mentor

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Dunn is still adamant about playing the field wherever he signs.

doublem23
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Dunn is still adamant about playing the field wherever he signs.

Yeah, right, whatever, I'm sure he'll hold that position firmly until he realizes he's going to make a hell of a lot more money not basically shutting himself off to 1/2 the league.

Or whatever, he can play LF, the Sox won the World Series with a pretty below average LF, it's not a critical defensive position. If the Tigers add Martinez and Dunn, wow, we can cozy on up to 3rd place.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, right, whatever, I'm sure he'll hold that position firmly until he realizes he's going to make a hell of a lot more money not basically shutting himself off to 1/2 the league.

Or whatever, he can play LF, the Sox won the World Series with a pretty below average LF, it's not a critical defensive position. If the Tigers add Martinez and Dunn, wow, we can cozy on up to 3rd place.

I would LOVE to see Dunn in LF in that cavern of a ballpark. It would be comedy gold.

Keep in mind, that outside of Verlander, who do the Tigers have for pitching? Remember, they don't have a closer anymore either, since Zumaya's career is likely over. Also, their defense would be fun-bad, and with such a big ballpark, it magnifies that even more.

So I'd hold off a bit before I make that "third place" statement.

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Solid pickup. A big FA chip has fallen. Dunn next?

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Victor's career line versus the White Sox: 309/.388/.497.

doublem23
11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I would LOVE to see Dunn in LF in that cavern of a ballpark. It would be comedy gold.

Keep in mind, that outside of Verlander, who do the Tigers have for pitching? Remember, they don't have a closer anymore either, since Zumaya's career is likely over. Also, their defense would be fun-bad, and with such a big ballpark, it magnifies that even more.

They also have Scherzer who was dominant for them when he came back from Toledo. Maybe the Tigers have some question marks around their pitching staff, but their starter's ERA was only 0.20 worse than ours, so it's not like we have a cavernous edge on them in that regard.

Meanwhile, the Tigers scored a few runs less than we did and they somehow got less offensive production from their DH than we did in 2010. They're out there swinging for the fences while we're over here, laying down bunts.

Sigh.

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
They also have Scherzer who was dominant for them when he came back from Toledo. Maybe the Tigers have some question marks around their pitching staff, but their starter's ERA was only 0.20 worse than ours, so it's not like we have a cavernous edge on them in that regard.

Meanwhile, the Tigers scored a few runs less than we did and they somehow got less offensive production from their DH than we did in 2010. They're out there swinging for the fences while we're over here, laying down bunts.

Sigh.

I wouldn't rule out Porcello returning to form either. I also wonder what they are going to do with Oliver.

WhiteSox5187
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Victor's career line versus the White Sox: 309/.388/.497.

I'm upset that he's going to Detroit cuz we'll have to face him a lot, but I never thought he was much of a catcher. AJ is about a million times better than Martinez behind the plate, but Martinez is the better hitter.

asindc
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM

So would I. In fact, I'm only half joking when I say Dunn might help the Sox more playing LF for Detroit than he would if he played it for the Sox.

Sigh.

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I seriously doubt that Detroit hit more XBHs than the Sox when playing head-to-head this past season.

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
It's worth noting that the Sawx will acquire the best possible compensatory 1st round pick at number 19. It was the first unprotected pick. Boston will also receive a supplemental selection.

Sargeant79
11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
The report made the offer seem quite competitive. Higher per year, one year short. I don't think the Sox are in the PR department with free agent near misses. I think they realize their fans would be shocked if they signed any of the big names. Coming in 2nd or 3rd on the field and off, is beyond old for the White Sox and their fans.

I think Martinez was a guy KW would initially use as a C and then move him to 1B/DH. Call me crazy, but I also believe KW still values Flowers and while he's not ready to give him a shot right now to be the starter, he thinks 2010 was a bump in the road and he's still on his radar.

Am I the only one who thinks Martinez is overrated? I realize that he is a solidly above average offensive player, but he isn't $12.5 million a year good unless he is playing catcher full-time. And even if he is playing catcher full-time, I don't think he's $16 million a year good, which is what the rumor mill is saying the Sox offered. Plus, just about everything I've read says that he has no business playing catcher full time.

I'm actually glad the Tigers saved the Sox from themselves on this one.

The Immigrant
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Sox offer was 3 yrs/48M.

There's a less than 1% chance this rumor is true.

dickallen15
11-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Martinez is overrated? I realize that he is a solidly above average offensive player, but he isn't $12.5 million a year good unless he is playing catcher full-time. And even if he is playing catcher full-time, I don't think he's $16 million a year good, which is what the rumor mill is saying the Sox offered. Plus, just about everything I've read says that he has no business playing catcher full time.

I'm actually glad the Tigers saved the Sox from themselves on this one.

I don't think he's worth $16 million a year.

dickallen15
11-23-2010, 01:09 PM
There's a less than 1% chance this rumor is true.
Maybe 3 $36 million. I do think it is worth noting, whatever they offered, they were at least competitive and you really didn't read anything about their interest anywhere, just about perhaps trading Beckham and signing Boras clients. KW has the smoke and mirrors going so far this offseason.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Give that money to Dunn or Beltre please.

thomas35forever
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Re-signing AJ is indeed our best option with Martinez off the board. I think I've said this on here before, but this year's free agency class is not very strong in the catcher department. Our decision regarding the position should be obvious.

Domeshot17
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't keep AJ unless he'll play for under 4 mil. Good defensive Catchers who can't hit are a dime a dozen and AJ's offensive has really dropped off. He is another guy living off reputation at this point.

cws05champ
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Dunn in LF, Victor at C and Cabrera at 3B....that's not a good defensive club at all. Especially with Peralta at SS, and Inge on one leg at 3B. It would be a scary middle of the order though with Austin Jackson setting the table.

Moses_Scurry
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Then where would Victor Martinez play? It seems like they would be loading up on DH's (especially if they get Maggs too). I guess a DH rotation of Martinez/Dunn/Magglio/Cabrera would be a slight bit better than Kotsay/Jones/Omar

doublem23
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't have time to look it up right now, but I seriously doubt that Detroit hit more XBHs than the Sox when playing head-to-head this past season.

It was a metaphor. Not even a few weeks into free agency and the Tigers come out with the big bats, the Sox? Same old, same old.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
My guess is Victor signed with the Tigers because they're gonna give him the opportunity to catch. Given Kenny and Ozzie's love for defense, I doubt they would have let him do that.

dickallen15
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
My guess is Victor signed with the Tigers because they're gonna give him the opportunity to catch. Given Kenny and Ozzie's love for defense, I doubt they would have let him do that.
Yeah, the Sox really stress defense. Quentin, Dye, Griffey in CF, Carl Everett in CF, Teahen, Josh Fields..................the White Sox have employed as many should be DHs as anyone since KW and even Ron Schueler have been calling the shots.

Domeshot17
11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
(1) Dunn has come out and said while he does not want to DH, he would rather DH then eliminate interest from AL teams

(2) The tigers haven't player Cabrera at 3rd in years

(3) The blow in not landing Martinez is what he can do. The Sox seem to go for 2 types of hitters, power guys who can't hit for average and average hitters who don't slug at all. Victor does both well.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
(1) Dunn has come out and said while he does not want to DH, he would rather DH then eliminate interest from AL teams

(2) The tigers haven't player Cabrera at 3rd in years

(3) The blow in not landing Martinez is what he can do. The Sox seem to go for 2 types of hitters, power guys who can't hit for average and average hitters who don't slug at all. Victor does both well.

Alexei Ramirez and Alex Rios say hello.

As does Pauly.

Domeshot17
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Alexei Ramirez and Alex Rios say hello.

As does Pauly.

PK was the only hitter on the Sox to even come close to hitting .300 last year (unless you count Dayan). That was a shock. It doesn't change the fact the Sox don't have what most contending teams do, a guy who can hit .300 with an ops over .800.

With the loss of Konerko, there isn't one guy on the roster who is going to hit .300 or hit 30 homers or drive in 100 runs. We have to replace that AND add, no small feat. Not saying it can't be done, but we need more than a few retreads this year if we expect to compete.

SoxSpeed22
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
The Tigers continue to build a mashing team, but might have the worst defensive infield in baseball. Martinez has always been tough on us. Not enjoying it, but I'd rather spend that $16 million somewhere else.

russ99
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM

This irks me. If the rumors are true, the Sox offer was very competitive. So why didn't we land Martinez? Kenny not willing to go the extra year??

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
This irks me. If the rumors are true, the Sox offer was very competitive. So why didn't we land Martinez? Kenny not willing to go the extra year??

I really don't think the rumor is true. Either the numbers are off or something is missing. Choosing Detroit for an extra year and 2 million more? Doesn't add up.

Domeshot17
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Rockabilly is clearly off with another of his rumors. No one in their right mind choses a 4 year deal for less money over 3 year for more. The Sox offer have been for 16 million per. The Tigers are paying 12.5 per. It wouldn't have even been close.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I really don't think the rumor is true. Either the numbers are off or something is missing. Choosing Detroit for an extra year and 2 million more? Doesn't add up.

Unless there are other intangibles, such as where he'd be playing on the field.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Rockabilly is clearly off with another of his rumors. No one in their right mind choses a 4 year deal for less money over 3 year for more. The Sox offer have been for 16 million per. The Tigers are paying 12.5 per. It wouldn't have even been close.

It's not Rockabilly reporting this. It's mlbtraderumors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago_white_sox/index.html

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Yea. This. Something is amiss.

Domeshot17
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Didn't see that, the source is still cleary wrong. Generally this is the problem with mlbtraderumors. Quality means little, its all just throwing any whisper on the wall.

LoveYourSuit
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
If the Sox had that kind of money to throw at Martinez, then you better make that push for Crawford or Dunn. Much better productive players in my book. Will cost a little bit more, but well worth it.

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Actually, Ignacio Serrano reported it. MLBTradeRumors doesn't report anything, they are just content aggregators.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Actually, Ignacio Serrano reported it. MLBTradeRumors doesn't report anything, they are just content aggregators.

Still, you get the idea. This isn't some WSI pipe dream. There is at least some credence to that 3 year $48 million rumor.

DirtySox
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Still, you get the idea. This isn't some WSI pipe dream. There is at least some credence to that 3 year $48 million rumor.

Right. But there is still a large possibility that Serrano got it wrong or received false information in regard to years/amount. I'd be less wary if it made more sense or if someone more reputable reported it.

Noneck
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
No one will take 4/50 in place of 3/48. So something is not kosher here.

Carolina Kenny
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
PK was the only hitter on the Sox to even come close to hitting .300 last year (unless you count Dayan). That was a shock. It doesn't change the fact the Sox don't have what most contending teams do, a guy who can hit .300 with an ops over .800.

With the loss of Konerko, there isn't one guy on the roster who is going to hit .300 or hit 30 homers or drive in 100 runs. We have to replace that AND add, no small feat. Not saying it can't be done, but we need more than a few retreads this year if we expect to compete.

TCQ
Comeback player of the year 2011.

Foulke You
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
No one will take 4/50 in place of 3/48. So something is not kosher here.
As others have posted, the number could be accurate but there could be a variety of reasons why Martinez chose Detroit. Perhaps he has friends on that team, perhaps the Tigers are promising him a chance to play the field every day while the Sox just wanted him to DH, perhaps he loves the decaying city of Detroit. Regardless, sometimes things are out of the hands of the GM. The Sox will likely now turn their attention to Hideki Matsui or Dunn. I have a feeling we are getting that power lefty bat this offseason one way or another.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
As others have posted, the number could be accurate but there could be a variety of reasons why Martinez chose Detroit. Perhaps he has friends on that team, perhaps the Tigers are promising him a chance to play the field every day while the Sox just wanted him to DH, perhaps he loves the decaying city of Detroit. Regardless, sometimes things are out of the hands of the GM. The Sox will likely now turn their attention to Hideki Matsui or Dunn. I have a feeling we are getting that power lefty bat this offseason one way or another.

Like by swiping Dunn's baseball bag while he's on his way to close his deal with Detroit.

We may not get the hittter, but dammit, we got his bat.

:tongue:

Noneck
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
As others have posted, the number could be accurate but there could be a variety of reasons why Martinez chose Detroit. Perhaps he has friends on that team, perhaps the Tigers are promising him a chance to play the field every day while the Sox just wanted him to DH, perhaps he loves the decaying city of Detroit.

Or the numbers are inflated or there was no actual offer by the Sox. We will never know.

soltrain21
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Or the numbers are inflated or there was no actual offer by the Sox. We will never know.

Sox actually put a flaming bag of dog poop on his doorstep.

Noneck
11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Sox actually put a flaming bag of dog poop on his doorstep.

Hope he had shoes on.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.foulballs.net/2010/11/well-white-sox-wont-be-signing-victor.html

Now what? And yes wrong section I see.

soltrain21
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
And already posted.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
And already posted.

Aware.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Very true.

Brian26
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Aware.

Merged.

And no matter what you think of AJ, there's no way Victor Martinez is worth $12.5 million a year for four years in this economy. That contract will look bad two years from now. That contract looks bad now.

KMcMahon817
11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
If that's true, that means the Sox were going to offer him (an average of) $16 million per year?:o:

I'm not saying I want the Sox to commit $48 million to him over the next 3 years, but wouldn't 3/48 more likely than not be more money in the end for Martinez over the next 4 years? It's almost all the Detroit amount in 1 fewer year and then all he needs in 3 years is to get a $3 million contract somewhere to come out ahead.

Yeah...a little hard to believe.

pearso66
11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
To those saying there is no way that he accepts a 4 year 50 over 3 year 48. There are a couple of Theories I have. One being they are allowing him to catch more than the Sox would have, and from what I've heard that number is going to be around 70 game or so. Also they could have added bonuses in there, maybe that 4 year 50 was base, and if he gets certain things it could be up to 4 year 60 mil. Lastly, maybe they are adding an option year or 2, and it's possible those can be reached by at bats, similar to Magglio's deal a few years ago.

PalehosePlanet
11-24-2010, 12:51 PM
There is no way in hell we offered Victor Martinez 16 million per year. He is a good, not great, player. With him only being a part time Catcher now, and a bad one at that, he's not even worth the 12.5 he'll be getting from the Tigers. Avila will be their primary catcher.

I'd even have a hard time believing we offered 3/38 , much less 3/48.

NLaloosh
11-24-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

According to MLBT the Sox offered Martinez $ 48 mil. for 3 years and he turned them down to take $ 50 mil. for 4 years from the Tigers!

Can this be true? I can't believe the offer or the refusal!

kittle42
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Several outlets are reporting this now. Hey, if true, look at it this way - if they were willing to spend that much on Victor Martinez, maybe we can actually get an All-Star-level player this offseason.

CHISOXFAN13
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM

According to MLBT the Sox offered Martinez $ 48 mil. for 3 years and he turned them down to take $ 50 mil. for 4 years from the Tigers!

Further down, it said the offer was 4 years for 48. If true, he took the highest offer.

DirtySox
11-24-2010, 01:59 PM

It's probably not true.

Supposedly in today's Trib, Gonzales is reporting that the Sox had talks with Victor's agent but a formal offer was never extended.

Brian26
11-24-2010, 02:00 PM

This is not according to MLBTR. This is according to Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional.

DirtySox
11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
This is not according to MLBTR. This is according to Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional.

Indeed. MLBTR is never a source. They are just an aggregate of other sources and news.

Brian26
11-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Indeed. MLBTR is never a source. They are just an aggregate of other sources and news.

I never gave Dierkes any credit before, and remarkably his job has become that much easier with the advent of Twitter. Anyone can receive the same news stories from Rosenthal, Stark, Rogers and the rest of the national writers that he regurgitates back about 30 minutes later.

Foulke You
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Quite true. Internet reports should always be taken with a grain of salt.

NLaloosh
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I think the most believeable report is the Sox never making a formal offer but just kicking the tires on him and feeling out the price.

That sounds a lot more like the White Sox I know.

The catching situation will be interesting this year. And, the left handed bats are quickly being snapped up.

Also, FA's are getting much larger contracts than in the past 2 years. The Sox have chosen a bad time to have openings at 1B, C, DH and the bullpen.

Too bad they took on that ridiculous Peavy contract.

DirtySox
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I never gave Dierkes any credit before, and remarkably his job has become that much easier with the advent of Twitter. Anyone can receive the same news stories from Rosenthal, Stark, Rogers and the rest of the national writers that he regurgitates back about 30 minutes later.

To be fair, the site is rather timely with its updates. MLBTR isn't groundbreaking by any means but it is easy to see it's appeal. One stop shop for all MLB rumblings without having to traverse and filter all of the internet/twitter sources. Any of the actual "content" contributed by the "writers" there should be immediately disregarded though.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I think the most believeable report is the Sox never making a formal offer but just kicking the tires on him and feeling out the price.

That sounds a lot more like the White Sox I know.

The catching situation will be interesting this year. And, the left handed bats are quickly being snapped up.

Also, FA's are getting much larger contracts than in the past 2 years. The Sox have chosen a bad time to have openings at 1B, C, DH and the bullpen.

Martinez was the perfect candidate to add to the roster considering he rotates through all those positions and switch hits while providing a patient, 3-hole quality bat. He would have been a great addition to the roster.

doublem23
11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

That's the only way to get a pitcher of his caliber without giving up any talent in return.

KMcMahon817
11-24-2010, 03:04 PM

It's pretty damn convenient if you aren't interested in wasting your time filtering through MLB insider's twitter accounts.

I think MLBTR is great. Not saying it is the most accurate thing in the world, but it is a pretty cool deal they have.

dickallen15
11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
It's pretty damn convenient if you aren't interested in wasting your time filtering through MLB insider's twitter accounts.

I think MLBTR is great. Not saying it is the most accurate thing in the world, but it is a pretty cool deal they have.
You have to give Dierkes credit. He's making some money doing something he apparently loves.

kittle42
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I have no opinion one way or the other on Martinez. However, I do expect the Sox to half-ass it as usual this offseason and give us fans a respectable third-place contender next season.

The Immigrant
11-24-2010, 04:21 PM
It sure seems like the Sox will, once again, lead the charge against exuberant spending in the free agent market and will, once again, be outspent by the Tigers. How the latter happens I do not know, but apparently the Tigers operate in a different economic paradigm.

If you believe the Sox actually offered a long-term contract to Victor Martinez along the lines of what's been rumored, I have some mortgage-backed securities to sell you.

Noneck
11-24-2010, 05:39 PM
It sure seems like the Sox will, once again, lead the charge against exuberant spending in the free agent market and will, once again, be outspent by the Tigers. How the latter happens I do not know, but apparently the Tigers operate in a different economic paradigm.

This has been going on for awhile. The Tigers out draw the Sox in a totally economically depressed city. Detroit has outspent the Sox for the last 3 years and have not been in the playoffs since 06.

I am pretty sure tickets are cheaper in detroit than here. I know advertising and TV, radio rights also are part of the revenue stream but is it possible that the revenue for these are greater in detroit than here?

They appear to be trying to do the right thing and spend as much as possible to get a winner. Maybe the fans see this and show their appreciation by going to games even though they have not made the playoffs since 06. I give them credit for this and the team, for what they are doing.

JermaineDye05
11-24-2010, 05:45 PM
This has been going on for awhile. The Tigers out draw the Sox in a totally economically depressed city. Detroit has outspent the Sox for the last 3 years and have not been in the playoffs since 06.

The Sox are to the Tigers what the Twins are to the Sox pretty much.

TheVulture
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
If you want Dunn in the lineup you better hope the Sox pick up somebody who can hit to bat after him to clean up all those runners left on base.

Fenway
11-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo looks at what the Tigers are up to -

I think you have an owner in Detroit who wants to win before he dies...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/11/28/sox_are_playing_a_game_different_from_detroits/

JermaineDye05
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Link (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/11/white_sox_never_made_offer_to.html)

tstrike2000
11-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Link (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/11/white_sox_never_made_offer_to.html)

Yeah, I just saw that on team's link on Facebook. That's weird, if there was no offer, I wonder why they waited until now to say something.

DirtySox
11-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Shocked is I.

Noneck
11-30-2010, 12:47 AM

Common sense told everyone that, after you saw what he got and what was supposedly offered.