PDA

View Full Version : OMG - Osuna still pitching!

pudge
06-29-2002, 04:30 PM
And a lead-off double.... F#$%!!

pudge
06-29-2002, 04:34 PM
And now Sammy up.......

pudge
06-29-2002, 04:37 PM
...... thank goodness for small miracles........ let's sweep baby!

Jjav829
06-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Sham-ME K's to end the game. Im so surprised!

FarWestChicago
06-29-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by pudge
...... thank goodness for small miracles........How is Sham-ME whiffing a small miracle? It happens frequently. :smile:

:shammy

That's one more. Here I come Reggie. I will be #1!!

Chisox_cali
06-29-2002, 04:39 PM
To quote a MORON:

"What a delicious way to end the game."

HA! :D:

pudge
06-29-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
How is Sham-ME whiffing a small miracle? It happens frequently.

True, true - more that Osuna went three scoreless - does anyone know why JM wanted to keep him in so long? I would think that will make him unusable for a few games.

Jjav829
06-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by pudge

True, true - more that Osuna went three scoreless - does anyone know why JM wanted to keep him in so long? I would think that will make him unusable for a few games.

He has been using the bullpen a lot especially yesterday where he used everyone except Biddle, so he probably wanted to rest them today. Osuna will probably have tommorrow off, but he hadn't pitched for a few days since he was away. I like the move by JM.

ISUSoxfan
06-29-2002, 05:25 PM
It didn't look like Osuna had anything in the 9th, but Sammi struck himself out. What was that, a high change-up?
:shammy
He'll grab some bench!

baggio202
06-29-2002, 05:27 PM
if it was me i'd have went to foulke for the 9th and eventhough i still think it was the wrong move leabing osuna in ill give jerry credit for having guts because he would have been crucified if osuna gave up a bomb to mr. strike out...i still wish we had more defined roles in the bullpen...there is a reason why most teams dont use a closer by committee..because in the long run you end up blowing more save oppotunities...but jerry pushed all the right buttons today so a tip of the hat to him...

speaking of osuna..the other in a game i saw the make a pitcher change gloves because he had a blue glove with red laces and the rules state a pitchers glove must be all one color...osuna has a gold or yellowish colored glove with black laces..shouldnt that be illegal too???

Chisox_cali
06-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

speaking of osuna..the other in a game i saw the make a pitcher change gloves because he had a blue glove with red laces and the rules state a pitchers glove must be all one color...osuna has a gold or yellowish colored glove with black laces..shouldnt that be illegal too???

I think that Foulke has the same kind of glove, and I also think Rauch did too. I think those look really cool, that almost white leather with the black laces.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Foulke worked 4 innings the last 4 games and pitched in both of the last two (a full inning each) so using him again today would have been pretty hard on him and definitely made him unusable tomorrow. Osuna has had a week off and got to pitch yesterday, so he had a chance to find his rhythm yesterday and it showed today in his first two innings - he was unstoppable.

Letting him pitch the ninth was either madness or genius (always a thin line), but it worked and that is all that matters. If ShamMEMEME reached base, they had Wunsch warming up to pitch to McGriff, but it was obviously unnecessary because ShamMEMEME has to be "The Man" and won't change his swing or take a pitch to help his team even when the situation calls for it...

FarWestChicago
06-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If ShamMEMEME reached base, they had Wunsch warming up to pitch to McGriff, but it was obviously unnecessary because ShamMEMEME has to be "The Man" and won't change his swing or take a pitch to help his team even when the situation calls for it... :shammy

People pay to see zingers, not wins. When will you learn?

Jerry_Manuel
06-29-2002, 06:21 PM
My view on the situation is that if people are going to complain when he pulls Buehrle to early, (see Yankee game) then don't bitch now.

Osuna was throwing lights out so why pull him?

Chisox_cali
06-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
My view on the situation is that if people are going to complain when he pulls Buehrle to early, (see Yankee game) then don't bitch now.

He struck out more guys than Jon for christs sake.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

He struck out more guys than Jon for christs sake.

Jon pitched well, but couldn't get Moises out to save his soul - of course no one did today - 4AB 4H 2RBI 3R 2HR 1-2B. He was on fire. Garland kept us in the game and but for a pitch here or a pitch there, the Sox would have won much more handily...

doublem23
06-29-2002, 06:30 PM

It's all right. The same crowd would be bitching at Manuel for pulling Osuna if he had done so, so it's all moot.

When you're unpopular, you can't win.

:jerry
Shaddap, Sox fans.

pudge
06-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

It's all right. The same crowd would be bitching at Manuel for pulling Osuna if he had done so, so it's all moot.

When you're unpopular, you can't win.

:jerry
Shaddap, Sox fans.

I expected Osuna to be out after two, I didn't think anyone in our pen could be counted on for more than that, but whateva, a win is a win. My point is, I wouldn't have complained if he went to someone else in the 9th.

CLR01
06-29-2002, 07:12 PM

If only it worked that way. JM cant win with some of these people. If he pulls the pitcher he shouldnt have, if he doesnt he should have, if he tickers with the lineup he should have left it alone or if he leaves it alone he should have changed it up. If he goes with his gut feeling he should have played the percentages.....It doesnt matter what he does the man is a moron, end of story.

baggio202
06-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

If only it worked that way. JM cant win with some of these people. If he pulls the pitcher he shouldnt have, if he doesnt he should have, if he tickers with the lineup he should have left it alone or if he leaves it alone he should have changed it up. If he goes with his gut feeling he should have played the percentages.....It doesnt matter what he does the man is a moron, end of story.

hey was giving him credit..id have done it differently but his way worked and it took alot of guts to send osuna out there..if osuna gave up a 3 run bomb im sure that jag bag williams would have called manuel onto the carpet...

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2002, 01:43 AM
Osuna was highly effective today. He has the confidence to block the distractions such as allowing a leadoff double, and that's what I like about him. I think he's gonna easily become our closer once again, and maybe that was a reason JM decided to stay with him...get him into a save situation. And then SamME struck out swinging to end the game...PERFECT ending!

And his dance after that was totally awesome!

Heather the Redbird

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2002, 02:54 AM
I was a little surprised to see Osuna out there for the ninth, but my biggest beef with Manuel has been wearing out the bullpen, so I'm glad he gave the bullpen a rest today. Instead of his usual game of changing relievers for every righty/lefty matchup, he let Osuna finish it off. Now the pen is in better shape for tomorrow, and I really want the series to end up 4-2 in the Sox' favor.