PDA

View Full Version : Houston Astros for sale

Fenway
11-21-2010, 08:36 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-20/mlb-s-houston-astros-for-sale-by-owner-drayton-mclane-after-18-years.html

Will be curious to see how much it goes for. The Houston market is hurting as rival Dallas has blown by them in market size - city has never recoverd fully from the Enron debacle.

Astros have little to show for their 49 years..one pennant and have not won a World Series game.

russ99
11-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Thank goodness. This is the one thing this franchise needs more than anything else.

Previous Astros owner John McMullen (also owner of the N.J. Devils) wasn't the best of owners, but he was miles above McLane who stuck his finger in the pie much too often with on-the-field decisions.

Hopefully the new ownership group kicks Tal Smith, Ed Wade and the rest of the McLane "yes men" to the curb and hires talented baseball people, and stays out of their way while they do their jobs.

It's a shame that McLane's constant meddling drove Gerry Hunsicker, the best Astros GM in their history and builder of their contending teams of the late 90s-early 2000s out of town.

Fenway
11-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I would have to think Cuban will try again...

Nick Cafardo made an interesting statement that Selig is very disappointed in the Ricketts family so far - especially in how they are getting bad PR in Chicago over Wrigley.

We all know that Selig decides who is owner worthy and it will be curious to see who emerges in Houston.

The Rangers just scored a 3 billion dollar TV deal and you have to wonder what the Astros can get.

russ99
11-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Nick Cafardo made an interesting statement that Selig is very disappointed in the Ricketts family so far - especially in how they are getting bad PR in Chicago over Wrigley.

We all know that Selig decides who is owner worthy and it will be curious to see who emerges in Houston.

The Rangers just scored a 3 billion dollar TV deal and you have to wonder what the Astros can get.

LOL. As if Bud's old boy network is going to let Mark Cuban in...

And if the Astros need a hands-off owner, Cuban is the person furthest away from that...

gogosox675
11-21-2010, 12:07 PM

He's not interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5827002&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Red Barchetta
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
If I was the new Astros owner, the first thing I would do is bring back the Orange Star Rainbow uniforms with white shoes and the numbers on the pants! :tongue: :redface: :o:

russ99
11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
If I was the new Astros owner, the first thing I would do is bring back the Orange Star Rainbow uniforms with white shoes and the numbers on the pants! :tongue: :redface: :o:

Don't think they'd go that far, but the fanbase in general would love a return to navy and orange as the team/uniform colors. Brick red and dark tan (AKA mud and blood) just doesn't seem like the Astros.

hdog1017
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
They are taking a completely different route than the Cubs prior to their sale. The Cubs loaded up on expensive long-term and horrible contracts before selling the team, while the Astros are cutting payroll. By the time the sale completes, the only really bad contract that they'll have on the books will be Carlos Lee.

DirtySox
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
They are taking a completely different route than the Cubs prior to their sale. The Cubs loaded up on expensive long-term and horrible contracts before selling the team, while the Astros are cutting payroll. By the time the sale completes, the only really bad contract that they'll have on the books will be Carlos Lee.

Correct. After years of unsuccessful "win now" purgatory, management has finally realized the need for a decent farm system and are throwing money and resources into the draft and player development.