PDA

View Full Version : More Proof Of Phil Rogers' Insanity

DSpivack
11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Says Sox and Cubs should trade GMs and 11 players :scratch::?:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sc-spt-1121-notes-rogers-baseball--20101120,0,3389440.column

My modest proposal: Someone should eat him.

Boondock Saint
11-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Says Sox and Cubs should trade GMs and 11 players :scratch::?:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sc-spt-1121-notes-rogers-baseball--20101120,0,3389440.column

My modest proposal: Someone should eat him.

This is the most sane part of the entire post.

ZombieRob
11-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Yea, I woke up and read that. I thought he lost his mind.

Foulke You
11-20-2010, 11:45 PM
This is one of the most random baseball articles I've read in a long time.

Sargeant79
11-21-2010, 03:34 AM
I am now dumber for having read that.

gobears1987
11-21-2010, 03:44 AM
A night of :gulp: and writing = this article.

A good rule to follow if you want to be coherent on a forum is don't drink and post. The same goes for writing articles when its your job.

russ99
11-21-2010, 11:10 AM
LOL. Further and complete proof that Rogers is a Cubs fan.

cards press box
11-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I want to know if Rogers will ever stop taking shots at last year's Juan Pierre/John Ely deal with L.A. In this article, he took a general shot at KW's deals as a whole and he did mention Ely in particular. Last year, Pierre scored 96 runs, led the AL with 68 stolen bases, hit .275 and had an OBP of .341. In 2010, Ely was 4-10 with a 5.49 ERA in 18 starts for the Dodgers. Isn't it time for Rogers to acknowledge that that the Pierre deal helped the Sox?

DirtySox
11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I want to know if Rogers will ever stop taking shots at last year's Juan Pierre/John Ely deal with L.A. In this article, he took a general shot at KW's deals as a whole and he did mention Ely in particular. Last year, Pierre scored 96 runs, led the AL with 68 stolen bases, hit .275 and had an OBP of .341. In 2010, Ely was 4-10 with a 5.49 ERA in 18 starts for the Dodgers. Isn't it time for Rogers to acknowledge that that the Pierre deal helped the Sox?

He has taken many shots lately about Kenny dumping off prospects. I agree in general about some, but the Ely trade isn't one of them. Ely and Link are fringe talent at best. Nothing remotely close to getting worked up about.

DumpJerry
11-21-2010, 11:38 AM
He fails to answer one issue:

How would Hendry sign players to those insane contracts with Uncle Jerry telling him how much money he can't spend?

This column passes up his one from a couple years ago where he evaluates trade by counting how many players switch teams in a trade to determine which team came out ahead (the team receiving the higher number of players without regard to talent being swapped) in the Out of Touch With Reality Meter.

JB98
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
He has taken many shots lately about Kenny dumping off prospects. I agree in general about some, but the Ely trade isn't one of them. Ely and Link are fringe talent at best. Nothing remotely close to getting worked up about.

Agreed. I think there are several legitimate criticisms of KW, yet Phil's criticism is never on the mark. I think KW "won" that particular trade with the Dodgers. I'm not even a Pierre fan, but he's quite clearly a more useful player than Ely.

Ely is one of those guys who had a few good starts at the beginning of the year, only to get his ass kicked after scouts and hitters around the league had seen him a couple times.

tebman
11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
This is one of the most random baseball articles I've read in a long time.

I scanned through it though I should've known better. This is the same guy who said that the John Danks-for-Brandon McCarthy deal was "despicable" a few years ago.

How's that trade working out, Phil? (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/05/2608677/brandon-mccarthys-rangers-days.html)

:rolleyes:

Bob Roarman
11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Well gotta write something when you got a deadline.

Dan H
11-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Well gotta write something when you got a deadline.

That was my initial reaction, too. When I read this drivel, I had the impression that Rogers just wanted attention by proposing something outrageous. All he proved was that anyone can be part of the Chicago sports media. Does he actually make a living do this?

SOXSINCE'70
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
All he proved was that anyone can be part of the Chicago sports media. Does he actually make a living do this?

Sadly,Phil Rogers does. :(:

Well, that and being one of 20.000 supposed
baseball experts on the MLB Network . :gulp:

jackbrohamer
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
It is really dishonest to refer to the Sox and Cubs as 2 teams that are in "such sorry states of disrepair." The Sox' second place finish is galling, but they did win 88 games which is not a "sorry state of disrepair" anywhere (except maybe the AL East).

NLaloosh
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Firstly, he's obviously joking.

Secondly, that deal is way better for the Sox as they get rid of all of their bad contracts and essentially give up Gavin Floyd and useless parts to get Soto, Wells, Samardija, Fukudome and Zambrano.

I don't want Hendry for Williams but then they could fire him after 2011 and give the job to Hahn.

SOXPHILE
11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Phil Rogers continues to prove, with yet another "article", that he is, by far, the stupidest, and worst "baseball writer" in Chicago. Definatly top 10 in the country as well.

Foulke You
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Dan Bernstein on WSCR670 said this afternoon that this Phil Rogers article was the worst ever written by a credible baseball writer. Like us, he wondered how it ever got past a sports editor's desk. I don't always agree with Bernstein but this time, he was dead on.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-23-2010, 03:50 PM
This stinks of a "someone notice me" article, giving him a chance to sit next to fellow ego stroker Dave Caplan on CTL.

Joke. Embarrassment. Typical.

wulfy
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Even Sam Smith was embarrased to read that.

Dub25
11-26-2010, 12:33 AM
I stopped reading once he said trade KW for JH. JH is only good with a wide open check book and even that is more than questionable.

MARTINMVP
11-26-2010, 08:11 AM
You know what, I am all for having fun and speculation, but that kind of drivel, in all honestly belongs on a message board like this, or a personal blog. A journalist in a major media publication, in my opinion, has no room for useless drivel.

The suggestions by Rogers have no chance in hell of happening - there is not even a remote chance of any of those happening. That entire column was written in jest, and quite frankly, he is better than that.

Not the end of the world, but when reading that, I took it as him not taking his job all too seriously.

Brian26
11-26-2010, 08:52 AM
You know what, I am all for having fun and speculation, but that kind of drivel, in all honestly belongs on a message board like this, or a personal blog. A journalist in a major media publication, in my opinion, has no room for useless drivel.

I thought it read like something you'd see in a college newspaper, and perhaps I'm being too generous with that. A high school newspaper may be more fitting.

I think "journalism" still exists in sports writing, but it is severely lacking, if not completely non-existant, in the two papers in town. Too many of the writers are trying to be entertainers and comedians above journalists. The best writers can be funny and entertaining without resorting to immature standards.