PDA

View Full Version : Twins listen to fans complaints - will install second scoreboard

Fenway
11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/images/2010/11/10/mOsQdYHk.jpg

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/11/10/new-scoreboard-expected-in-target-field-upgrades/

DumpJerry
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Hmmm....so they listen to their fans, huh?

Well, for the past three years, I have organized about 4,000 "Die-hard Twins fans" into constantly emailing the team about how annoying it is to have Joe Mauer on the team and he needs to be traded to the National League or the White Sox. A lot of "listening" they've done with that complaint.

soltrain21
11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I wish the Sox would get a new scoreboard and have another scoreboard that everyone can see. Since, you know, anybody in right field can't see the super outdated main board.

TheOldRoman
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I wish the Sox would get a new scoreboard and have another scoreboard that everyone can see. Since, you know, anybody in right field can't see the super outdated main board.But, hey, at least we finally got green seats. Eh? EH?

Nellie_Fox
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
My only complaint about the scoreboards at Target Field is that the "out-of-town" scoreboard, along with every other board in the place, goes to ads instantly between innings. Between innings is when I want to read the out-of-town scoreboard to get caught up.

VenturaFan23
11-19-2010, 01:23 PM
My only complaint about the scoreboards at Target Field is that the "out-of-town" scoreboard, along with every other board in the place, goes to ads instantly between innings. Between innings is when I want to read the out-of-town scoreboard to get caught up.

I believe they do that at the Sox game too.

Fenway
11-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Twins seemed to have done everything right with Target Field and they could inch into 'big market' status because of it.

Minneapolis has a vibrant downtown and hasn't be hurt badly in the recession. A White Sox fan biggest concern is the Pohlad family could be the Minneapolis version of the Wirtz's as the sons are not as tight fisted as Carl was.

The big fear in Minnesota is that the Vikings may bolt - Someone is going to LA and it will either be Jacksonville or Minnesota.

I think the Golden Gophers getting a new stadium sealed the Vilkings fate...

Nellie_Fox
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Someone is going to LA and it will either be Jacksonville or Minnesota. LA has lost two NFL teams because they didn't support football. Why would it be any different now?

TheOldRoman
11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Twins seemed to have done everything right with Target Field and they could inch into 'big market' status because of it.

Minneapolis has a vibrant downtown and hasn't be hurt badly in the recession. A White Sox fan biggest concern is the Pohlad family could be the Minneapolis version of the Wirtz's as the sons are not as tight fisted as Carl was.

The big fear in Minnesota is that the Vikings may bolt - Someone is going to LA and it will either be Jacksonville or Minnesota.

I think the Golden Gophers getting a new stadium sealed the Vilkings fate......or Buffalo, St. Louis, San Diego or Oakland.
Actually, from people who follow the Rams, the only thing that could keep them from LA is if other teams are able to get there before the Rams' lease is up. LA will get two teams, but the NFL will try to drag this on as long as they can for leverage in getting new stadiums built for the likes of the Vikings and Chargers.

Fenway
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
LA has lost two NFL teams because they didn't support football. Why would it be any different now?

Fan support was not the problem

Rams made the mistake of moving to Anaheim and the Raiders were given a small fortune by the City of Oakland to come back.

The Rams moving to St Louis saved the Patriots who were bought by a member of the Busch family who fully intended to move them - when the Rams suddenly moved he then sold to Kraft who owned Foxboro Stadium.

Hitmen77
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM

I think the Golden Gophers getting a new stadium sealed the Vilkings fate...

That could mean possibly two AL Central teams (along with Detroit) that can outspend the White Sox.....plus that both have more productive farm systems. That's not good.

...or Buffalo, St. Louis, San Diego or Oakland.
Actually, from people who follow the Rams, the only thing that could keep them from LA is if other teams are able to get there before the Rams' lease is up. LA will get two teams, but the NFL will try to drag this on as long as they can for leverage in getting new stadiums built for the likes of the Vikings and Chargers.

What happens with the Rams should be interesting to watch. 15 years after the dome was built, the Rams might be looking to leave.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=4480795

Interesting that you think LA will get two teams. I haven't thought that was an option. But, if LA builds a fancy new stadium, I supposed a Meadowlands-like arrangement is possible.

Red Barchetta
11-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice to think that a professional franchise just might have had the insight to keep some money in the budget in order to tweak a new ballpark after it opens based on anticipated fan input and suggestions. I love how the Twins, Tigers and Indians ballparks have such great views of their respective cities downtown skylines, etc.

When Comiskey II opened, we had wonderful views of the Robert Taylor Homes. :?:

Frater Perdurabo
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Teams often draw record attendance when they move into a new stadium.

While Target Field has more revenue-generating features, they still need people to BUY TICKETS and SPEND MONEY. The novelty will soon wear off, however.

In 2-3 years, the Twins season ticket base and overall attendance will reach an equilibrium point.

EDIT: Also, the Target Field is in the best possible situation right now. They are downtown, in an area that is already highly developed. But that means it really cannot be developed to a much greater extent.

OTOH, the areas around the Cell are either in the process of being redeveloped, or are ripe for redevelopment. That's not a guarantee that all new development that comes to the area around the Cell will be dense enough to bring in a lot more fans, but the potential exists. I think the new Metra station, for instance, will bring more fans and more development.

The bottom line is that I think the Twins have maxed out their potential, and moreover it is likely that their annual revenues will fall back from record highs this year. Meanwhile, I think the Sox have a lot of room to grow.

KMcMahon817
11-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Good. Another scoreboard was needed.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
did they really need another scoreboard?