PDA

View Full Version : Sox hiking ticket prices again

doublem23
11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101118&content_id=16148848&notebook_id=16148856&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

No hard numbers, but yeah, it's coming.

SephClone89
11-18-2010, 07:02 PM
More 1/2 price Mondays--thank God. There were only three in 2010.

soltrain21
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
You better give me some good free agents then.

Rohan
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
More 1/2 price Mondays--thank God. There were only three in 2010.

I thought every regular Monday home game was 1/2 price Monday? :scratch:

DumpJerry
11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
You better give me some good free agents then.
Or what? What will you do with the free agents they give you? Put them to work washing your car and mowing the lawn?

DumpJerry
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Since season ticket prices did not go up much, I doubt the single game price will approach whatever it is the Cubs charge (the equivalent of two months worth of mortgage payments).

SephClone89
11-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought every regular Monday home game was 1/2 price Monday? :scratch:

Not this past season...I am positive that there were only three 1/2 price Mondays in 2010, as compared to five or six in previous years.

soltrain21
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Or what? What will you do with the free agents they give you? Put them to work washing your car and mowing the lawn?

:rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
11-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Since season ticket prices did not go up much, I doubt the single game price will approach whatever it is the Cubs charge (the equivalent of two months worth of mortgage payments).

Supply and demand. The Cubs have the right to charge the moon for their tickets because people will pay for them more often than not. Yes, I realize attendance dropped for them last year but 37,800 is pretty good demand.

I don't undersand where the demand is for Sox tickets where a price hike is justified. Especially in this economy too.

TheOldRoman
11-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Increasing the ticket price AGAIN for a team with ticket prices already in the top five, coming off of another subpar season in which attendance decreased for the fourth straight year? Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 12:36 AM
What the Sox need to do is try to keep cheap seats cheap. It is complete insanity to charge $20+ for an upper deck reserved seat down in the deep corners of the UD.

Create more levels of ticket pricing.

For example, why should someone pay the same price for a LD Box seat beyond the security guys on the field (ball guys) as a person getting a seat just beyond the dugout? There is a reason why no one wants to buy those corner LD seats, it is not a good deal. Seats in the LD rows 1 to 15 should cost more than than those 16 to 30. Same goes for the UD. UD Reserved in those deep corners should not cost more than $10 every night.

So if they find a way to create more levels of pricing, they can keep the cheap seats cheap and charge more for the better seats that are justified in price. One thing I notice about Sox attendance is that the expensive luxury seats appear to be well attended every night. It's those over-priced OF seats and the UD which struggles to pack them in on the average weeknight game.

SephClone89
11-19-2010, 06:25 AM
What the Sox need to do is try to keep cheap seats cheap. It is complete insanity to charge $20+ for an upper deck reserved seat down in the deep corners of the UD.

For example, why should someone pay the same price for a LD Box seat beyond the security guys on the field (ball guys) as a person getting a seat just beyond the dugout? There is a reason why no one wants to buy those corner LD seats, it is not a good deal. Seats in the LD rows 1 to 15 should cost more than than those 16 to 30. Same goes for the UD. UD Reserved in those deep corners should not cost more than $10 every night.

So if they find a way to create more levels of pricing, they can keep the cheap seats cheap and charge more for the better seats that are justified in price. One thing I notice about Sox attendance is that the expensive luxury seats appear to be well attended every night. It's those over-priced OF seats and the UD which struggles to pack them in on the average weeknight game.

Well said. $20 for the cheapest ticket is ridiculous. I get almost all of my tickets from StubHub, or else I find discount codes.

DumpJerry
11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Well said. $20 for the cheapest ticket is ridiculous. I get almost all of my tickets from StubHub, or else I find discount codes.
Hence, the reason why to Sox don't have to create cheap seats. They already exist.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought every regular Monday home game was 1/2 price Monday? :scratch:OD and premium series are exempt. like yankees or red sox.

this year, it's the cubs series that falls on a monday. no 1/2 off tix

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 09:23 AM

So if they find a way to create more levels of pricing, they can keep the cheap seats cheap and charge more for the better seats that are justified in price. One thing I notice about Sox attendance is that the expensive luxury seats appear to be well attended every night. It's those over-priced OF seats and the UD which struggles to pack them in on the average weeknight game.if you know what you're doing, you can hit a lot of games under box office face.
codes, stubhub, ebay, craigslist, the "smart circle" coupon books, ect.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 09:35 AM
if you know what you're doing, you can hit a lot of games under box office face.

I agree with you on this but I can bet no more than 10-15% of the casual folks know of this. I bet too many people get turned off to going to a game when they go online at Whitesox.com / ticketmaster and see what game day tickets are going for along with all those service fees.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Hence, the reason why to Sox don't have to create cheap seats. They already exist.

Again, it's all hidden. These cheap ticket options are hidden. No more than 10-15% of the people know of them.

Casual Sox fan goes to WhiteSox.com for tickets.

SephClone89
11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
if you know what you're doing, you can hit a lot of games under box office face.

Goldstar Events had a lot of half-price tickets this past season as well.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Again, it's all hidden. These cheap ticket options are hidden. No more than 10-15% of the people know of them.

Those options also fail to address the underlying point which is those seats are terrible in the first place so they aren't available through ebay and stubhub because they haven't been sold. Like you said, casual folks don't know about other options and additionally don't want to jump through hoops just to get a ticket. Sifting through ebay, stubhub and craigslist often requires planning, time, and/or inconvenience.

The White Sox should be more welcoming to the average fan that's willing to sit in the corners, doesn't care who they are playing, and wants to decide last minute - other than weekends and prime series those seats are empty anyway.

doublem23
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Maybe the discount codes on whitesox.com are pretty tucked away, but you've got to be kidding if you think casual fans are oblivious to Stubhub, Craigslist, or eBay. It's not 1997. People have the internet nowadays.

russ99
11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Those options also fail to address the underlying point which is those seats are terrible in the first place so they aren't available through ebay and stubhub because they haven't been sold. Like you said, casual folks don't know about other options and additionally don't want to jump through hoops just to get a ticket. Sifting through ebay, stubhub and craigslist often requires planning, time, and/or inconvenience.

The White Sox should be more welcoming to the average fan that's willing to sit in the corners, doesn't care who they are playing, and wants to decide last minute - other than weekends and prime series those seats are empty anyway.

I don't think those seats are terrible, just that there are usually better options, for not that much more of a price. My brother prefers to sit up in the UD, since the view is amazing.

I also think the Sox variable ticketing for walkup will help fill those seats this year.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Goldstar Events had a lot of half-price tickets this past season as well.
i dont like how you dont know where you're sitting till you pick up the tix.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with you on this but I can bet no more than 10-15% of the casual folks know of this. I bet too many people get turned off to going to a game when they go online at Whitesox.com / ticketmaster and see what game day tickets are going for along with all those service fees.not so. people know how to look for deals.

sites like www.slickdeals.net (http://www.slickdeals.net) have sox offers(i post a few) and yelp and facebook have very thirivng sox deal "communities".

i found quite a few codes simply because of google.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 10:06 AM

sox kids club is free. you get two free tix per kid signed up. afamily with 5 kids get 10 free tix to use on "regular" games. tix are good for adults or kids.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
not so. people know how to look for deals.

sites like www.slickdeals.net (http://www.slickdeals.net) have sox offers(i post a few) and yelp and facebook have very thirivng sox deal "communities".

OK, let me ask my dad who is ignorant to the internet if he has ever heard of "slickdeals.net."

My dad still visits a travel agent when buying a plane ticket. I can bet there are plenty of Sox fans out there that wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to search for ticket bargains or that bargains even exist. What ends up happening, these folks just don't go. They don't bother with it. Meanwhile if the source (the White Sox) via the ticket window on 35th street, the ticketmaster phone number, the ticketmaster outlet, or their very own webiste would keep ticket prices modest (not even to the extreme of 1/2 price promo codes found on google), plenty more people would go to games and word of mouth spreads. It creates demand for the supply directly from the source.

Lyle Mouton
11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Absolutely indefensible. **** this.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
OK, let me ask my dad who is ignorant to the internet if he has ever heard of "slickdeals.net."

My dad still visits a travel agent when buying a plane ticket. I can bet there are plenty of Sox fans out there that wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to search for ticket bargains or that bargains even exist. What ends up happening, these folks just don't go. They don't bother with it. Meanwhile if the source (the White Sox) via the ticket window on 35th street, the ticketmaster phone number, the ticketmaster outlet, or their very own webiste would keep ticket prices modest (not even to the extreme of 1/2 price promo codes found on google), plenty more people would go to games and word of mouth spreads. It creates demand for the supply directly from the source.

It's true. My dad still calls me asking to help him find deals on Sox tickets. It's just a different world for a lot of folks.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Also, I'm inclined to skip out on my Ozzie Plan this year for a slew of reasons, but perhaps that's best discussed in a different thread.

SephClone89
11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Also, I'm inclined to skip out on my Ozzie Plan this year for a slew of reasons, but perhaps that's best discussed in a different thread.

When taking into account various discounts and such that people can find, there is just no way it can be worth it. If I have time I'll add up what I spent on my 11 games this season, and try to compare it to even the cheapest Ozzie plan ticket.

The Immigrant
11-19-2010, 10:43 AM
1. Deliver another disappointing performance on the field.
2. See overall attendance decline for the fourth consecutive year.
3. Start the annual ritual of setting low expectations when it comes to free agent pickups.
4. Raise ticket prices.
5. PROFIT.

Total ****ing clown show.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
When taking into account various discounts and such that people can find, there is just no way it can be worth it. If I have time I'll add up what I spent on my 11 games this season, and try to compare it to even the cheapest Ozzie plan ticket.

A ticket rep called me a couple days ago asking if I was going to renew. I gave him a list of reasons I'm hesitant to do it, but the guy was obviously just a recent college grad working an entry level job (which, you know, is cool for him) that was just listening to me talk.

It's just frustrating that an Ozzie Plan holder isn't nearly as valued as the 26 and 81 game holders.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 10:50 AM
A ticket rep called me a couple days ago asking if I was going to renew. I gave him a list of reasons I'm hesitant to do it, but the guy was obviously just a recent college grad working an entry level job (which, you know, is cool for him) that was just listening to me talk.

It's just frustrating that an Ozzie Plan holder isn't nearly as valued as the 26 and 81 game holders.
i remember when ozzie plans got ALDS tix.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
i remember when ozzie plans got ALDS tix.

Yep, the good ol' days.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
As for the codes, it's not hard to expect people look for them when they see "promo code" box at the ticketmaster ordering page.

I can tell you that one code generated 1000 ticket sales overthe # of games it was attached to. and that code was created late in the season.

the people who know about them are using them.

hdog1017
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
If I were the Sox, I would lower the prices to get more people in the ballpark, especially in the nosebleeds. The more people you get in to the ballpark, the more $ you get on high margin items like beer, hot dogs, and other amenities. In my opinion, the team would offset the cheaper ticket revenue by the increased spending on ridiculously priced beer, food, and parking.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey ewok (and others, of course),

My first year I was able to afford an Ozzie Plan was in 2007. I've had one ever since, but I'm constantly getting bumped to different sections for each game.

Prior to 2006, did Ozzie Plan seating stay pretty consistent? My buddy got one in 2005 and I swear he was always in the first row of 526. My plan has always had me in, at best, the 7th or 8th row of 540 or 520 (or 544 or 522 or wherever they decide to throw me).

BringHomeDaBacon
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
**** the codes. There isn't enough demand for lousy seats to require the average person to monkey around on the computer for 1/2 an hour before he can make a last minute decision to go to the damn game because it's a nice day.

doublem23
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
**** the codes. There isn't enough demand for lousy seats to require the average person to monkey around on the computer for 1/2 an hour before he can make a last minute decision to go to the damn game because it's a nice day.

If it takes you 1/2 an hour, you need a better ISP and probably browser.

KenBerryGrab
11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
sox kids club is free. you get two free tix per kid signed up. afamily with 5 kids get 10 free tix to use on "regular" games. tix are good for adults or kids.

There are usually only one or two series a month that are eligible, and they are all weekday games.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 11:20 AM

I would hope these teams one day go the route of pricing single game tickets based on demand. And if season tickets holders bitch about it, then too bad. Just direct those same seaon ticket holders to stubhub where it is them the ones also selling based on demand. If they can sell their seats based on demand then why couldn't the team to the same?

I think this would solve all the issues and get more fans into the stadium.

fox23
11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
not so. people know how to look for deals.

Yes, and those of us who know about it profit well. But no way most people are going to know or take the time to look up all the other websites. We all love the effort you go through to provide everyone with codes, but you are a pretty far outlier here compared to other fans.

In any case, it still doesn't get to the root problem, as the Sox aren't making anything extra off those tickets. If anything, they should lower their prices on the ****ty seats to compete with these 3rd party sites. That way they get money from both the season ticket holder who is now trying to dump tickets, and the casual ma and pa who bought the cheapies directly through them.

DumpJerry
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM

My first year I was able to afford an Ozzie Plan was in 2007. I've had one ever since, but I'm constantly getting bumped to different sections for each game.

Prior to 2006, did Ozzie Plan seating stay pretty consistent? My buddy got one in 2005 and I swear he was always in the first row of 526. My plan has always had me in, at best, the 7th or 8th row of 540 or 520 (or 544 or 522 or wherever they decide to throw me).
I had an Ozzie Plan in 2005 and was bounced all over the Lower Bowl like a pinball. I did not mind it since I was in the park.

dickallen15
11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
White Sox ticket prices are among the highest in baseball. Top 5. I think their fan cost index was actually 4th in 2010.

hi im skot
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I had an Ozzie Plan in 2005 and was bounced all over the Lower Bowl like a pinball. I did not mind it since I was in the park.

Good to know.

Lyle Mouton
11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
White Sox ticket prices are among the highest in baseball. Top 5. I think their fan cost index was actually 4th in 2010.
Which is, again, completely idiotic on so many levels.

doublem23
11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Which is, again, completely idiotic on so many levels.

Maybe, but this is one of the more affluent parts of the country.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Prior to 2006, did Ozzie Plan seating stay pretty consistent? My buddy got one in 2005 and I swear he was always in the first row of 526. My plan has always had me in, at best, the 7th or 8th row of 540 or 520 (or 544 or 522 or wherever they decide to throw me).it's much more scatter shot now. i have my rep fill the order for me. i get better locations that way.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 01:38 PM
**** the codes. There isn't enough demand for lousy seats to require the average person to monkey around on the computer for 1/2 an hour before he can make a last minute decision to go to the damn game because it's a nice day.codes are good for 1/2 price tix with reduced fees. it's not that hard to get tix with them

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 01:39 PM
There are usually only one or two series a month that are eligible, and they are all weekday games.the guy i responded to want caring about who the sox play. free tix are free tix

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes, and those of us who know about it profit well. But no way most people are going to know or take the time to look up all the other websites. We all love the effort you go through to provide everyone with codes, but you are a pretty far outlier here compared to other fans.

In any case, it still doesn't get to the root problem, as the Sox aren't making anything extra off those tickets. If anything, they should lower their prices on the ****ty seats to compete with these 3rd party sites. That way they get money from both the season ticket holder who is now trying to dump tickets, and the casual ma and pa who bought the cheapies directly through them.sox have been known to send codes themselves. i once got a robo call from bobby jenks about 1/2 price games in 2008

fox23
11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
sox have been known to send codes themselves. i once got a robo call from bobby jenks about 1/2 price games in 2008

I had season tickets for 5 years before I decided not to renew this offseason, and I've never received anything like that. Not sure how many casual fans would ever get that one.

And regardless, it shouldn't be try to find the bargain. Just price the tickets properly and more people will buy. Especially in walk up sales, which they always harp on about.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I had season tickets for 5 years before I decided not to renew this offseason, and I've never received anything like that. Not sure how many casual fans would ever get that one.

And regardless, it shouldn't be try to find the bargain. Just price the tickets properly and more people will buy. Especially in walk up sales, which they always harp on about.

This is so true. One of the best things I learned in SPORTS MGMT: Sell the iffy seats for less and just get people in for beer, food, apparel, parking, etc. sales. I mean look, someone may buy section 506 row 10 for $10 then drop $23 to park, $50 on beers, $20 on food so thats $20-$93 the White Sox would half lost plus $10 for the ticket if that person did not park, drink, and/eat.

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
This is so true. One of the best things I learned in SPORTS MGMT: Sell the iffy seats for less and just get people in for beer, food, apparel, parking, etc. sales. I mean look, someone may buy section 506 row 10 for $10 then drop $23 to park, $50 on beers, $20 on food so thats $20-$93 the White Sox would half lost plus $10 for the ticket if that person did not park, drink, and/eat.

They always use the excuse that they want to protect the season ticket holder's ticket valule, yet the season ticket holders are flooding the market with re-sells.

Just get fans in those seats any which way you can. That's the approach I would take.

Foulke You
11-20-2010, 01:13 AM
They always use the excuse that they want to protect the season ticket holder's ticket valule, yet the season ticket holders are flooding the market with re-sells.

Just get fans in those seats any which way you can. That's the approach I would take.
Agreed. A lot of ballparks have at least one modestly priced section and the UD reserve in the corners should be no more than $10-15 seats in my opinion. The Sox UD is one of the highest avg. priced UD tickets in baseball. I don't mind sitting up there but for a few bucks more, I can sit much closer to the field downstairs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping the team competitive on the field and maintaining a payroll above $100 million but it is a tough sell right now to raise ticket prices after no playoff appearance. Sadly, the Sox are taking the approach of a lot of businesses in this economy right now. Your customer base drops so you raise the prices to compensate for the lost revenue and maintain your margin. However, this philosophy can backfire and cause you to lose more customers if you aren't careful.

dickallen15
11-20-2010, 02:45 AM

Pissing off season ticketholders in order to sell a few thousand of your cheapest seats isn't exactly a genius business model.

Fans can complain about ticket prices all they want. Season ticketholders pay whether the team is good or bad. When they aren't so great, a lot of tickets go unsold, but the "they cost too much, if they lowered the prices they will be sold" argument is beyond laughable. You could have purchased tickets in 2010 for just about every home game in September for at least a 75% discount on Stubhub, and most of April and May too, yet many of those tickets remained unsold. So it isn't pricing on the cheapest seats, which by the way, people on this board also happen to be pissed off with the fact that if they purchase the cheapest seats, they probably will have to sit there. The bottom line is your argument is weak. Why should someone who makes no commitment get a better deal than someone who puts their money out for every game? I can tell you right now there will be plenty of bargain priced games on Stubhub in 2011, games where you will be able to get premium infield boxes for well under $20, and you'll be buying them from some poor sap who payed close to $60 for them. 81 times. But if the team isn't a juggernaut, or the weather isn't perfect, or the opponent isn't a team with a gigantic payroll, many of those trying to sell them for that price will be unsuccessful. And if the Sox made the corners $15 each if they sold early which I doubt, people would still find some complaint like they were forced to actually sit in the seat they purchased.

DSpivack
11-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Pissing off season ticketholders in order to sell a few thousand of your cheapest seats isn't exactly a genius business model.

Fans can complain about ticket prices all they want. Season ticketholders pay whether the team is good or bad. When they aren't so great, a lot of tickets go unsold, but the "they cost too much, if they lowered the prices they will be sold" argument is beyond laughable. You could have purchased tickets in 2010 for just about every home game in September for at least a 75% discount on Stubhub, and most of April and May too, yet many of those tickets remained unsold. So it isn't pricing on the cheapest seats, which by the way, people on this board also happen to be pissed off with the fact that if they purchase the cheapest seats, they probably will have to sit there. The bottom line is your argument is weak. Why should someone who makes no commitment get a better deal than someone who puts their money out for every game? I can tell you right now there will be plenty of bargain priced games on Stubhub in 2011, games where you will be able to get premium infield boxes for well under $20, and you'll be buying them from some poor sap who payed close to $60 for them. 81 times. But if the team isn't a juggernaut, or the weather isn't perfect, or the opponent isn't a team with a gigantic payroll, many of those trying to sell them for that price will be unsuccessful. And if the Sox made the corners $15 each if they sold early which I doubt, people would still find some complaint like they were forced to actually sit in the seat they purchased.

Most teams have some affordable seat in the house and their STH aren't rioting about it. Even the Yankees have $5 [horrible] seats but also bleacher seats that are $15, and that's the most expensive stadium in the country. There is no excuse for the White Sox to not offer an affordable solution for fans every game. They are in the top 5 in ticket prices and a middling team attendance wise. There's a reason for that.

DumpJerry
11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
As a full season ticket holder, I am laughing at how all you non full STH people are telling me how I feel. None of you are right.

I sit among other full STHs. I have many friends who are full STHs. I know I'm not alone when I say WE DON'T CARE IF THERE ARE BELOW FACE TICKETS ON STUBHUB. IT DOES NOT BOTHER US ONE BIT. Why? We get a full sheet of postseason tickets at FACE VALUE. We get tickets to the high demand games during the regular season AT FACE VALUE. We have better seats than the ones on Stubhub. We don't have haul ass to get to the park early for high demand promotional giveaways because we get them anyway.

How many of those of you in this thread who are saying how full STHs feel are STHs? I'm not talking 27 game plan people, I'm talking about the brethren of those of us who are full in. 90%+ of the time when I see someone on here say they have canceled a Full Season Plan, the reason cited is almost always personal finances-had a kid, bought a house, lost a job, but rarely it is because of how the White Sox treat us or the pricing policy of single game tickets.

So, all of you marketing professors at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, what do you have to say now? Keep on trotting out your unsupported assumptions about season ticket sales because there has been no indication from the team that season ticket sales are a major concern.

dickallen15
11-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm not opposed to cheaper tickets. If they wanted to make all upper deck seats $5, that would be fine, but you know that still wouldn't be good enough for most, as buying an upper deck seat and only being able to go into the upper deck is an obnoxious policy according to some.

What I am opposed to is lowering prices of unsold tickets as the game nears. It is unfair to season ticketholders, most of whom made a significant deposit on their 2011 seats almost 3 months ago. Would you like it if you bought 81 games at about $60 a seat the previous September and then almost a year later the Sox wanting to rid themselves of excess inventory sell the seats next to you for $30? Maybe if they had a policy like most airlines where if you find a lower fare after you have booked one, they will either refund you the money or give you a credit. But there is no way the Sox would do that. The credits or refunds they issued would be far more than the money they brought in lowering the prices. Like the above post, I don't care about the resale market on Stubhub, in fact I usually use it for the Cubs games as I have grown to really hate when USCF is loaded with that many Cubs fans. It would bother me if the White Sox offered the tickets cheaper at a later date, but Monday half priced games are not half priced to season ticketholders.

The fact remains that while Sox tickets are expensive compared to the rest of the league, there are tons of bargains. Stubhub is your friend. You may not get great deals on the best teams, but you don't anywhere else either. Yankee Stadium bleacher seats aren't quite the view you have from the bleachers at USCF, and if the new park is like the old, you have your own entrance and exit, can't see the monuments or sneak into a seat behind the Yankees dugout even if no one is occupying it. Judging from previous threads about White Sox ticket policies, that wouldn't go over very well with Sox fans.

DumpJerry
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
What I am opposed to is lowering prices of unsold tickets as the game nears. It is unfair to season ticketholders, most of whom made a significant deposit on their 2011 seats almost 3 months ago. Would you like it if you bought 81 games at about $60 a seat the previous September and then almost a year later the Sox wanting to rid themselves of excess inventory sell the seats next to you for $30?
I understand where you're coming from, but all the seats around me from Row AA to several rows behind me are already bought and will never be at the Box Office.

LoveYourSuit
11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
What I am opposed to is lowering prices of unsold tickets as the game nears. It is unfair to season ticketholders, most of whom made a significant deposit on their 2011 seats almost 3 months ago. Would you like it if you bought 81 games at about $60 a seat the previous September and then almost a year later the Sox wanting to rid themselves of excess inventory sell the seats next to you for $30? .

From '03 to '07 I had full seasons tickets for 81 games. '08 to current I share the 81 games 4 seat with 6 other guys (became 6 last year). Not one time myself or the group that goes on these with me have ever bitched or complained that people around me might have paid for less than I did. I don't even go snooping around asking the neighbors sitting next to me (new faces) how much they picked up their tickets for. It never even crosses my mind. Hell, I along with my group have unloaded games on stubhub at times for 30-40% below face. I did it myself, should I bitch and pout that someone paid less for my seats than what I paid for? No ****, it was I (the season ticket holder) that made that decision.

We know people are getting into these games for cheaper than what we paid. No ****, look around on Monday nights. I don't think one season ticket holder even cares. Hell, the more people in the park the better IMO (for the team, atmosphere, etc).

I put it this way, we buy these season ticket packages because we want to commit to having our same seat secured for every game of the year. We want the perks that come with it also. I have no problem if the Sox on day of game open up the gates for half price on whatever is left over. It's for the good of the team, and perhaps to introduce more new fans to Sox baseball.

WhiffleBall
11-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I just switched from a full season plan to a 27 game plan this past week. A big part of the reason I switched is because of the current state of reselling tickets. If the Sox are not competitive next season then you will see the same thing as last season, lots of 1/2 off codes, cut throat stubhub pricing, and bargains galore on craigslist - many of which will be seats better than mine selling for less than face value. That is too much of a risk for me. It also helps that the hit and run plan has some great games this year (opener, 2 cubs, 2 yanks, elvis night, and plenty of Friday games). I loved being a full season ticket holder but going from a $12k plan to a $4k plan (4 seats lower reserved) and being moved only one section over and 20 rows back from my full ST seats was a no brainer.

The thing I will miss the most about being a full season ticket holder other then the postseason ticket strip is the giveaway box. It's like Christmas morning when that thing arrives and this year was the best since 2006.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
From '03 to '07 I had full seasons tickets for 81 games. '08 to current I share the 81 games 4 seat with 6 other guys (became 6 last year). Not one time myself or the group that goes on these with me have ever bitched or complained that people around me might have paid for less than I did. I don't even go snooping around asking the neighbors sitting next to me (new faces) how much they picked up their tickets for. It never even crosses my mind. Hell, I along with my group have unloaded games on stubhub at times for 30-40% below face. I did it myself, should I bitch and pout that someone paid less for my seats than what I paid for? No ****, it was I (the season ticket holder) that made that decision.

We know people are getting into these games for cheaper than what we paid. No ****, look around on Monday nights. I don't think one season ticket holder even cares. Hell, the more people in the park the better IMO (for the team, atmosphere, etc).

I put it this way, we buy these season ticket packages because we want to commit to having our same seat secured for every game of the year. We want the perks that come with it also. I have no problem if the Sox on day of game open up the gates for half price on whatever is left over. It's for the good of the team, and perhaps to introduce more new fans to Sox baseball.

Refreshing viewpoint. People in Chicago and elsewhere have complained that the atmosphere at sporting events have been ruined by the proliferation of corporate types and well to dos at all the games. God forbid if people of lesser means get to go to some more games without having to sacrifice significant portions of their budget.

fox23
11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
As a full season ticket holder, I am laughing at how all you non full STH people are telling me how I feel. None of you are right.

I sit among other full STHs. I have many friends who are full STHs. I know I'm not alone when I say WE DON'T CARE IF THERE ARE BELOW FACE TICKETS ON STUBHUB. IT DOES NOT BOTHER US ONE BIT. Why? We get a full sheet of postseason tickets at FACE VALUE. We get tickets to the high demand games during the regular season AT FACE VALUE. We have better seats than the ones on Stubhub. We don't have haul ass to get to the park early for high demand promotional giveaways because we get them anyway.

How many of those of you in this thread who are saying how full STHs feel are STHs? I'm not talking 27 game plan people, I'm talking about the brethren of those of us who are full in. 90%+ of the time when I see someone on here say they have canceled a Full Season Plan, the reason cited is almost always personal finances-had a kid, bought a house, lost a job, but rarely it is because of how the White Sox treat us or the pricing policy of single game tickets.

So, all of you marketing professors at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, what do you have to say now? Keep on trotting out your unsupported assumptions about season ticket sales because there has been no indication from the team that season ticket sales are a major concern.

And as a former season ticket holder, I'd like to thank your "brethern" who will allow me to buy better seats for a lower cost than what I used to pay for my season tix thanks to the secondary market.

dickallen15
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't have a problem with re-sale of tickets. I do have a problem with changing the face value downward. Why should someone give the Sox their season ticket money in Sept. 2010, and be penalized and have to pay a higher face value than someone who buys a ticket at the box office in Sept. 2011? Its not right. Unless, of course, they will give the people who paid when the face value was higher a credit or cash back.

If the Sox want to make certain sections of the park value sections and not even sell season tickets there, that's fair. But if someone in section 117 row 20 pays $45 a game, he should be sitting next to someone who bought a ticket at the box office for $25 a year after he committed his money, because face it, for the Sox to give that big of discount, the season hasn't gone as planned.

There were plenty of ridiculously discounted tickets available on stubhub and craiglist this season for an 88 win team that went unsold. Less than $10 for premium box seats. I think the face value of Sox tickets, while a factor, is not that huge of a factor keeping the more unwanted sections filled with tumbleweeds. I just think these days a lot of people have a lot of other worries. If the Sox dropped their prices $10 across the board, I don't think attendance would change that much if the team was basically the same and the economy not improved.

Brian26
11-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Most teams have some affordable seat in the house and their STH aren't rioting about it. Even the Yankees have $5 [horrible] seats but also bleacher seats that are $15, and that's the most expensive stadium in the country. There is no excuse for the White Sox to not offer an affordable solution for fans every game. They are in the top 5 in ticket prices and a middling team attendance wise. There's a reason for that.

I'm not taking sides on this one because I've been on both sides, a season ticket holder trying to sell unused tickets and as an economical shopper trying to snag $5 tix off Stubhub. However, one disadvantage the Sox have in giving away tickets in the Upper Deck is that they have no system in place to prevent people from basically sitting anywhere they want in the Upper Deck, and honestly sometimes security is so lax that people can even get down to the LD.

Cheapening the value of the product by lowering ticket prices across the board is a hard lesson Rob Gallas learned. Of course, he didn't have to deal with Stub Hub 8-10 years ago either.

LoveYourSuit
11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't have a problem with re-sale of tickets. I do have a problem with changing the face value downward. Why should someone give the Sox their season ticket money in Sept. 2010, and be penalized and have to pay a higher face value than someone who buys a ticket at the box office in Sept. 2011? Its not right. Unless, of course, they will give the people who paid when the face value was higher a credit or cash back.

If the Sox want to make certain sections of the park value sections and not even sell season tickets there, that's fair. But if someone in section 117 row 20 pays $45 a game, he should be sitting next to someone who bought a ticket at the box office for $25 a year after he committed his money, because face it, for the Sox to give that big of discount, the season hasn't gone as planned.

There were plenty of ridiculously discounted tickets available on stubhub and craiglist this season for an 88 win team that went unsold. Less than $10 for premium box seats. I think the face value of Sox tickets, while a factor, is not that huge of a factor keeping the more unwanted sections filled with tumbleweeds. I just think these days a lot of people have a lot of other worries. If the Sox dropped their prices $10 across the board, I don't think attendance would change that much if the team was basically the same and the economy not improved.

You think attendance would not improve if ticket prices were reduced in these "less demand" sections?

Now, if you keep it a secret and require fans to dig thru the internet to get a code for it or pick up a pepsi can, then no. But if you were to make a full blown media announcement with all the media sources they already have right now, I would bet it would create a buzz and many people would commit to pick up tickets for cheap.

I can even bet that a good portion of the former season ticket holders who have given up their seats for renewal would come back again for bargain cheap seats.

That's an idea they should kick around for former season ticket holders who left because of no longer being able to afford seats. Try to retain them by offering them substantially discounted seson seats in these less desired areas (LD Corners, UD corners and higher rows). Single game seats in the UD reserved are $20 on average, we will give you a season ticket package on them for $10 per game. Half price of what the general public will pay.

DumpJerry
11-20-2010, 03:36 PM
And as a former season ticket holder, I'd like to thank your "brethern" who will allow me to buy better seats for a lower cost than what I used to pay for my season tix thanks to the secondary market.
You're welcome. I wish I could personally thank the person who owns the five seats to my left, but s/he has never come to a game. All 81 games are on Stubhub, April games are below face. Do I care that the person next to me paid less for the what is essentially the same seat? Nope. I get tickets at face for the postseason for my seats (row 5) at face. The person next to me who bought the below face April tickets will pay 5X over face for a World Series ticket.

LoveYourSuit
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
You're welcome. I wish I could personally thank the person who owns the five seats to my left, but s/he has never come to a game. All 81 games are on Stubhub, April games are below face. Do I care that the person next to me paid less for the what is essentially the same seat? Nope. I get tickets at face for the postseason for my seats (row 5) at face. The person next to me who bought the below face April tickets will pay 5X over face for a World Series ticket.

Exactly the stand every season ticket holder should take.

Great Post

gobears1987
11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Maybe, but this is one of the more affluent parts of the country.

Yep, and there are ways to lower the cost of going to a game. To avoid the outrageous parking, take the el or park on the street on the other side of the Ryan. You can also bring your own food to the game, but I personally love the dogs too much to do that.

fox23
11-20-2010, 04:50 PM

I actually had the exact same thought process back when I got ST in 2006. Then they made the playoffs once since, and not out of the first round. The only way you make out ahead then is by having the Sox make the World Series every 5 years. Otherwise, I could continue buying tix for cheap year after year and then suck it up once in a while for a playoff ticket and still save the cash.

Of course if the Sox make the World Series every 5 years, I think we are all winners then.

SephClone89
11-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Yep, and there are ways to lower the cost of going to a game. To avoid the outrageous parking, take the el or park on the street on the other side of the Ryan. You can also bring your own food to the game, but I personally love the dogs too much to do that.

35th Street Red Hots, man. Way better and way cheaper than the hot dogs in the park.

DumpJerry
11-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I actually had the exact same thought process back when I got ST in 2006. Then they made the playoffs once since, and not out of the first round. The only way you make out ahead then is by having the Sox make the World Series every 5 years. Otherwise, I could continue buying tix for cheap year after year and then suck it up once in a while for a playoff ticket and still save the cash.

Of course if the Sox make the World Series every 5 years, I think we are all winners then.
I've been a full STH since 2006. I have eaten only 6 tickets the entire time.

fox23
11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I've been a full STH since 2006. I have eaten only 6 tickets the entire time.

I do applaud that, as that is quite the commitment! (not being sarcastic, I mean it) However I don't see what it has to do with what I stated.

DumpJerry
11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I do applaud that, as that is quite the commitment! (not being sarcastic, I mean it) However I don't see what it has to do with what I stated.
I have not lost money despite the fact that tickets were practically being given away at times. Bottom line: since I'm not losing money, I don't care if they drop free tickets from a helicopter over crowds in the middle of Downtown.

dickallen15
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
You think attendance would not improve if ticket prices were reduced in these "less demand" sections?

Now, if you keep it a secret and require fans to dig thru the internet to get a code for it or pick up a pepsi can, then no. But if you were to make a full blown media announcement with all the media sources they already have right now, I would bet it would create a buzz and many people would commit to pick up tickets for cheap.

I can even bet that a good portion of the former season ticket holders who have given up their seats for renewal would come back again for bargain cheap seats.

That's an idea they should kick around for former season ticket holders who left because of no longer being able to afford seats. Try to retain them by offering them substantially discounted seson seats in these less desired areas (LD Corners, UD corners and higher rows). Single game seats in the UD reserved are $20 on average, we will give you a season ticket package on them for $10 per game. Half price of what the general public will pay.

Again, I would have no problem with the Sox doing this. Its changing the face value of tickets to a lower price in sections they have already been sold and not doing anything for the people that have already purchased is the problem I have. If the Sox will be willing to sell the unsold ticket for $10 in September, they should be held to that price for every similar ticket sold in April or the previous December.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I have not lost money despite the fact that tickets were practically being given away at times. Bottom line: since I'm not losing money, I don't care if they drop free tickets from a helicopter over crowds in the middle of Downtown.

Congratulations sir, you've been inducted into the Message Board Hall of Awesome!

fox23
11-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Well, I suppose I'm a little more frugal than you and would prefer to get my tickets for the cheapest price available. To each his own!!

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Bingo! Plus people have to take brokers and people who just resell everything into consideration these days. I mean when MLB and StubHub went into a partnership, that sent a message IMO.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Look, buying ST is an INVESTMENT! Also, people who buy them should for the most part buy them because they love their team and not because they want to profit/worry about if they could of bought them cheaper. Plus, you get certain extras with buying season tickets, one of them is location (i.e. Premium Lower Box).

LoveYourSuit
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Look, buying ST is an INVESTMENT! Also, people who buy them should for the most part buy them because they love their team and not because they want to profit/worry about if they could of bought them cheaper. Plus, you get certain extras with buying season tickets, one of them is location (i.e. Premium Lower Box).

More important, you get guranteed seats fro the playoffs. I kow that for me was the only reason I kept renewing year after year. I did not want to get shut out.

dickallen15
11-21-2010, 03:16 PM

I doubt 95% of season ticketholders want to profit. I just think the people who commit to buy tickets to every game should be guaranteed to only pay the lowest face value price. Why should someone who comes to a game on a whim and goes to the box office pay significantly less just because there were unsold tickets? Those same tickets were unsold when the season ticketholder had to have their money in. And money is a concern with most. If you commit to 81 games its not asking too much for getting the best rate. Most businesses operate that way with their highest volume clients.

If you bought something at a store, then a few days later saw the same item was on sale for 50% off, would you just say, "fine, I was willing to pay full price and I'm happy with the product" or do you try to get the difference refunded to you? Doesn't Orbitz or Travelocity send you a check if you book a hotel and someone books one for the same day at the same hotel for a lower rate? Every airline will give you a credit if the price of your ticket lowers.

dickallen15
11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
More important, you get guranteed seats fro the playoffs. I kow that for me was the only reason I kept renewing year after year. I did not want to get shut out.
If someone is willing to shell out almost $4k a seat, they should be entitled to face value playoff tickets. I've had at least a partial season ticket for 21 seasons. They have made the playoffs 4 times. If the reason I was continuing to own them was just so I could get a playoff ticket, I would have been better off forgeting about it and paying the highest priced scalper whatever he wanted, and still saved money. I and my season ticket partner buy them because we enjoy going to games. The playoffs are a bonus, but its not like that's any kind of give.

LoveYourSuit
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I doubt 95% of season ticketholders want to profit. I just think the people who commit to buy tickets to every game should be guaranteed to only pay the lowest face value price. Why should someone who comes to a game on a whim and goes to the box office pay significantly less just because there were unsold tickets? Those same tickets were unsold when the season ticketholder had to have their money in.

I think it's time for you to wake up and realize that this is already happening. And this is not because of the Sox. It's you, I, and many other season ticket holders who are dumping tickets on the market for 1/2 price.

So if Season Ticket Holders are already watering down the face value of these tickets, why can't the White Sox make the same decision on "day of game?" Basically what sellers on stub hub are doing is not allowing the Sox to sell more of their product to the open market. It's a business, to compete they should be allowed to lower their prices too.

I honestly think this MLB / Stub Hub association is one of the causes MLB attendance is on the decline.

dickallen15
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I think it's time for you to wake up and realize that this is already happening. And this is not because of the Sox. It's you, I, and many other season ticket holders who are dumping tickets on the market for 1/2 price.

So if Season Ticket Holders are already watering down the face value of these tickets, why can't the White Sox make the same decision on "day of game?" Basically what sellers on stub hub are doing is not allowing the Sox to sell more of their product to the open market. It's a business, to compete they should be allowed to lower their prices too.

I honestly think this MLB / Stub Hub association is one of the causes MLB attendance is on the decline.

So one of the so called "perks" season ticketholders get, reselling their tickets for whatever price they want, the Sox should compete with? The bottom line is if there's a game the Sox are willing to cut their prices 50% because of lack of sales, better seats will be available at the resale sites for an even better price. And they aren't hard to find. Their links are on the White Sox website when you try to purchase tickets. There is no need for me to wake up. I've mentioned several times I have no problem with anyone using stubhub, I also have no problem with the Sox lowering the price of seats as long as they credit back season ticketholders, or any other ticket holder the difference. Stubhub tickets are re sales of tickets initially sold at full price, if the seller is willing to take a loss, why should I have a problem with that?

BringHomeDaBacon
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I doubt 95% of season ticketholders want to profit. I just think the people who commit to buy tickets to every game should be guaranteed to only pay the lowest face value price. Why should someone who comes to a game on a whim and goes to the box office pay significantly less just because there were unsold tickets? Those same tickets were unsold when the season ticketholder had to have their money in. And money is a concern with most. If you commit to 81 games its not asking too much for getting the best rate. Most businesses operate that way with their highest volume clients.

If you bought something at a store, then a few days later saw the same item was on sale for 50% off, would you just say, "fine, I was willing to pay full price and I'm happy with the product" or do you try to get the difference refunded to you? Doesn't Orbitz or Travelocity send you a check if you book a hotel and someone books one for the same day at the same hotel for a lower rate? Every airline will give you a credit if the price of your ticket lowers.

You continue to either ignore or miss the point of most of this discussion. We were talking the WORST SEATS IN THE PARK that nobody has purchased either in April, as part of a season ticket plan or at any other point in the season. Selling those seats cheap has no effect whatsoever on season ticket holders or anyone else. Your economics lessons simply don't apply.

Daver
11-21-2010, 05:55 PM
You continue to either ignore or miss the point of most of this discussion. We were talking the WORST SEATS IN THE PARK that nobody has purchased either in April, as part of a season ticket plan or at any other point in the season. Selling those seats cheap has no effect whatsoever on season ticket holders or anyone else. Your economics lessons simply don't apply.

Devaluing your product is still devaluing it, no matter how you slice it.

dickallen15
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Then sell those seats at the get go for the low price. If you are really concerned about getting a bargain, if there are a lot of lower deck seats unsold, there will be plenty available on the secondary market for even cheaper than what the White Sox would price them at.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Then sell those seats at the get go for the low price. If you are really concerned about getting a bargain, if there are a lot of lower deck seats unsold, there will be plenty available on the secondary market for even cheaper than what the White Sox would price them at.

I'm not concerned about getting a bargain. Personally, I always pay for good seats and I was a ST holder when I lived in Chicago. I just think its silly to not offer the corners of the upper deck for cheap.

Ranger
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
If I were the Sox, I would lower the prices to get more people in the ballpark, especially in the nosebleeds. The more people you get in to the ballpark, the more $ you get on high margin items like beer, hot dogs, and other amenities. In my opinion, the team would offset the cheaper ticket revenue by the increased spending on ridiculously priced beer, food, and parking.

They don't. The concession revenue doesn't come close to what actual ticket sales generate.

DumpJerry
11-21-2010, 10:54 PM
If someone is willing to shell out almost $4k a seat, they should be entitled to face value playoff tickets.
Lower Box are a hair under $3k a seat. The only seats which are more expensive are the premium lower box(and, of course, Jim Beam and Scout).

keloms
11-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Lower Box are a hair under $3k a seat. The only seats which are more expensive are the premium lower box(and, of course, Jim Beam and Scout).

You mentioned that you've had ST for a while, but, don't lose money on them, do you share them with a partner or two?

I'm down to the 27 game package now which is working out, but, I had full seasons a few years back. Despite going to as many games as I could and selling / giving away the rest, I still ended up losing more then the cost of a one lower box seat on the unused games and just couldn't justify keeping them up.

DumpJerry
11-22-2010, 08:14 AM
You mentioned that you've had ST for a while, but, don't lose money on them, do you share them with a partner or two?

I'm down to the 27 game package now which is working out, but, I had full seasons a few years back. Despite going to as many games as I could and selling / giving away the rest, I still ended up losing more then the cost of a one lower box seat on the unused games and just couldn't justify keeping them up.
I don't have a partner, but I have people who buy games from me (going to all 81 games is like having a second full time job). I go to many games (about 50) and whomever comes with me pays for their ticket. I also sell the Cub tickets for $125 a ticket.

When I have had to eat a ticket, it is because either nobody wanted to buy a game from me or I could not get someone to go to a game with me.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=LoveYourSuit;2650349]They always use the excuse that they want to protect the season ticket holder's ticket valule, yet the season ticket holders are flooding the market with re-sells.

Just get fans in those seats any which way you can. That's the approach I would take. i couldnt sell the boston series in lower box for $5. why? cuz the team sucked. no code was going to hurt or help me there

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=dickallen15;2650453]Pissing off season ticketholders in order to sell a few thousand of your cheapest seats isn't exactly a genius business model.

QUOTE]

brewers have $8 tickets in the "bernie's terrace". brewers also have strong ST sales AND draw betweeen 2.5-3 million a year.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't have a partner, but I have people who buy games from me (going to all 81 games is like having a second full time job). I go to many games (about 50) and whomever comes with me pays for their ticket. I also sell the Cub tickets for $125 a ticket.

When I have had to eat a ticket, it is because either nobody wanted to buy a game from me or I could not get someone to go to a game with me.

you're underselling your cubs/sox tix.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM

that's FUNNY. more people BUY to resell now. beacuse it's EASIER TO SELL on stubhub now.

DumpJerry
11-22-2010, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=LoveYourSuit;2650349]They always use the excuse that they want to protect the season ticket holder's ticket valule, yet the season ticket holders are flooding the market with re-sells.

Just get fans in those seats any which way you can. That's the approach I would take. i couldnt sell the boston series in lower box for $5. why? cuz the team sucked. no code was going to hurt or help me there

Have you ever considered going to a baseball game? It can be an enjoyable experience.

you're underselling your cubs/sox tix.
Nope. That is the price they sell for in my section. I like Stubhub because once the tickets are listed, the only work I have to do is.....nothing. I don't have to FedEx the tickets, I don't have to respond to an email, I don't have to meet a Craigs List buyer who may or may not follow through, I do nothing.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=ewokpelts;2651167]

Have you ever considered going to a baseball game? It can be an enjoyable experience.

Nope. That is the price they sell for in my section. I like Stubhub because once the tickets are listed, the only work I have to do is.....nothing. I don't have to FedEx the tickets, I don't have to respond to an email, I don't have to meet a Craigs List buyer who may or may not follow through, I do nothing.

Trust me, I go to plenty of games. I was trying to sell my neighbor's tix for 9/30 game. She paid 53(ozzie plan), and I posted them as low as $5.99(her tix were bought through my STH account).

I did go to one of the boston games. Andruw Jones Bobblehead night. FREE. Courtesy of the Sox themselves(sox pride club contest win).

My point about boston was that due to both teams flat out sucking, no one wanted to go to those games. So even though there were a few codes for that series out there, AND dirt cheap tix on stubhub(the jones bobble night were averaging $4 a ticket, while the others were as low as $1). so the argument about how codes hurt is laughable.

as for the cubs series, your section can sell for mor ethan what you list them for. of course, if both teams are bad(2009 AND 2010), then your price is about average. I sold my weekend season tix for the 2008 cubs/sox series for $175 EACH. 2010 lower reserve? i sold for face to a coworker.

and yes, selling tix as an STH through stubhub is easy. do you have the money go back to your account, or do you take the paypal payment?

LoveYourSuit
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=ewokpelts;2651167]

I don't know why you are quoting something I didn't even say.

I never said this:

"i couldnt sell the boston series in lower box for $5. why? cuz the team sucked. no code was going to hurt or help me there"

:scratch:

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
First off this is about cheap seats not great, good, or average seats. One problem with people in business today: They do not understand that you can make money in volume not just how much per whatever the item is. My point here is the Sox should sell those bad UD corner seats real cheap when it's game that may not even fill the lowers or whatever. Yes, people say well go online and get good seats for under face. 1st off, people may decide to go last minute and/or cannot buy online. I liv in the area so what if my neighbors wanna go after the Stubhub deadline to buy? There is a box office you know? Also, what do I keep reading about the box office lowers the price if they don't sell? Um no...If you went to one of the last Tigers/Bo Sox games and bought a seat there it would still be whatever they charge. Now yes online less but at the box office it is the same price as if you bought those tickets when the season started. The only ways of paying less is through broker/online/person if team is blah or a discount code you use through the Sox/Ticketmaster. And, in 2005, people were damn happy to pay the price of what it costs. Yeah if the team ****ing sucks and they could get em less they will be mad, no ****. Thats why buying ST is an investment but most people who buy them are big fans and **** if you pay 4-5 figures to go to see a team you love, I am sure you won't or shouldn't get mad that a single game buyer found a better value when the team ****ing sucks.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 02:14 PM
First off this is about cheap seats not great, good, or average seats. One problem with people in business today: They do not understand that you can make money in volume not just how much per whatever the item is. My point here is the Sox should sell those bad UD corner seats real cheap when it's game that may not even fill the lowers or whatever. Yes, people say well go online and get good seats for under face. 1st off, people may decide to go last minute and/or cannot buy online. I liv in the area so what if my neighbors wanna go after the Stubhub deadline to buy? There is a box office you know? Also, what do I keep reading about the box office lowers the price if they don't sell? Um no...If you went to one of the last Tigers/Bo Sox games and bought a seat there it would still be whatever they charge. Now yes online less but at the box office it is the same price as if you bought those tickets when the season started. The only ways of paying less is through broker/online/person if team is blah or a discount code you use through the Sox/Ticketmaster. And, in 2005, people were damn happy to pay the price of what it costs. Yeah if the team ****ing sucks and they could get em less they will be mad, no ****. Thats why buying ST is an investment but most people who buy them are big fans and **** if you pay 4-5 figures to go to see a team you love, I am sure you won't or shouldn't get mad that a single game buyer found a better value when the team ****ing sucks.
sox had variable pricing last season. it didnt go well, but it was there

soltrain21
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
sox had variable pricing last season. it didnt go well, but it was there

Wasn't it like the last two weeks of the season when no one cared?

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM

oui

dickallen15
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the White Sox know nothing about making money. JR should listen to the message boards for advice. Before he boards his private jet. The fact is people were just about giving away tickets for the last few series but couldn't even do that. There's no reason for the White Sox to join them. If they want to make certain sections of the park cheap seats, thats fine. But then most who think this is a great idea, won't buy those seats either, or if the did would be mad if the actually had to sit there.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the White Sox know nothing about making money. JR should listen to the message boards for advice. Before he boards his private jet. The fact is people were just about giving away tickets for the last few series but couldn't even do that. There's no reason for the White Sox to join them. If they want to make certain sections of the park cheap seats, thats fine. But then most who think this is a great idea, won't buy those seats either, or if the did would be mad if the actually had to sit there.

Obviously JR knows how to make money :rolleyes: And yeah he doesn't care about message boards and neither do I (for business advice) but this is what I learned form my sports mgmt degree classes I am just putting my knowledge on here...Lastly, yeah I know people who wouldn't sit up there no matter what but it is still a good idea in general IMO. And to whoever said they had variations in prices that was the last homestand I believe only.

Dirty30
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes

lol yes and I bet if it weren't for the MLB/StubHub deal this may not have happened. Just a guess.

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Obviously JR knows how to make money :rolleyes: And yeah he doesn't care about message boards and neither do I (for business advice) but this is what I learned form my sports mgmt degree classes I am just putting my knowledge on here...Lastly, yeah I know people who wouldn't sit up there no matter what but it is still a good idea in general IMO. And to whoever said they had variations in prices that was the last homestand I believe only.classroom exercises dont always translate well into practical applications.

the sox used to offer $4 upper reserve(all of the avail seats) back in the late 90's on tuesday-thursday nights. it didnt translate into additional sales. and what tix were purchased were "upgraded"

i do, however miss the free ticket offer when you bought a wendy's value meal.

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
classroom exercises dont always translate well into practical applications.

the sox used to offer $4 upper reserve(all of the avail seats) back in the late 90's on tuesday-thursday nights. it didnt translate into additional sales. and what tix were purchased were "upgraded"

i do, however miss the free ticket offer when you bought a wendy's value meal.

Well you must not know this class. Secondly, if this is still the case of not making a difference, then why are we talking about this? I mean it looks like the team makes enough money right? So let's lock this thread. I still think something like what the NFL does it a good idea but it doesn't matter right? I mean Jerry is indeed making something...

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
lol yes and I bet if it weren't for the MLB/StubHub deal this may not have happened. Just a guess.
no. those tickets would have been dumped on craigslist or ebay.

the stubhub deal makes it EASIER for a seller to just unload tix. otherwise, you would have seen a LOT of people on the street trying to sell.

however, when the team's hot, the stubhub deal works out for everyone, as tix move faster, with a low shipping cost($5 to email tix).

ewokpelts
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Well you must not know this class. Secondly, if this is still the case of not making a difference, then why are we talking about this? I mean it looks like the team makes enough money right? So let's lock this thread. I still think something like what the NFL does it a good idea but it doesn't matter right? I mean Jerry is indeed making something...
nfl is a different beast. eachmember team gets almost 100 million dollars in tv money A YEAR. mlb is not the case. mlb teams rely on the gate reciepts more than nfl teams.

I suggest you bring this up at soxfest. Brooks always heads a seminar about media and marketing matters. I have asked a few questions over the years to him.