PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN text alerts: Selig announces MLB will discuss playoff expansion in December

ewokpelts
11-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Looking at 10 potential teams in a possibly expanded format.

I signed up for mlb trext alerts via espn, so no link attached.

Personally, I tink a one game wild card playoff works best. Then the "wild card winner" goes to the Division Series.

I also think Wild Cards should have 2 home games in the ALDS/NLDS. Guys like Torre suggest wild cards should have only one home game in the first round. that's too unfair to a wild card.

TheOldRoman
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
:facepalm:

Much like the NFL, baseball is asking "how can we **** our product up and take away even more of its integrity?"

asindc
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
:facepalm:

Much like the NFL, baseball is asking "how can we **** our product up and take away even more of its integrity?

Add NCAA Basketball to your list. They just can't seem to leave well enough alone.:mad:

Fenway
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
What comes first?

End of World Series or WLIT playing Christmas music?

ewokpelts
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
The 2010 Wild Card was the Yankees, and the red sox were the runner-up. A one game, monday night baseball matchup on tbs would be good ratings. not that i care about ratings, but mlb/tbs get thier ratings, and we get a lil extra excitement in the playoffs.

Oblong
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
If both the Yankees and Red Sox made the playoffs in 2010 are we having this discussion?

Lip Man 1
11-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Phil Rogers has another column today where he discusses this. It is being talked about this morning at the G.M. meetings but he states nothing will happen (if it ever does) before the 2012 season because of the upcoming labor negotiations (which he adds will center around a hard salary cap structure for draft picks based on where they are selected. He said the MLBPA will fight against this issue.)

Lip

tstrike2000
11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
What comes first?

End of World Series or WLIT playing Christmas music?

I think a little of both. WLIT will know when to start playing Christmas music the minute the World Series is over.

thomas35forever
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
If this goes through in 2012, my standings board is only good for one more year.:(:

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
If both the Yankees and Red Sox made the playoffs in 2010 are we having this discussion?

Nope, all this is trying to ensure that somehow the Yankees and the Red Sox will be in the playoffs every year. Oh sure, it will kill most of the integrity of the playoffs, but in looking back at Selig's tenure as commissioner the word "integrity" is not the first one that leaps to my mind.

Fenway
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Nope, all this is trying to ensure that somehow the Yankees and the Red Sox will be in the playoffs every year. Oh sure, it will kill most of the integrity of the playoffs, but in looking back at Selig's tenure as commissioner the word "integrity" is not the first one that leaps to my mind.

Gotta love NESN's headline

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/red-sox-would-have-made-playoffs-in-2010-if-potential-new-rules-were-in-place.html

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
....but in looking back at Selig's tenure as commissioner the word "integrity" is not the first one that leaps to my mind.

Add fairness, logic, reason and honesty to the list.

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Gotta love NESN's headline

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/red-sox-would-have-made-playoffs-in-2010-if-potential-new-rules-were-in-place.html

They might as well just change the rules so that the Red Sox and Yankees are in it every year and no other teams from the East need to attempt competing.

Awhile ago Fenway, you posted a thread where Selig acknowledged there was an East Coast bias and that it might be hurting baseball. Well rather than try to fix that by marketing some other real good and real exciting teams Selig has decided to go for the quick fix and just market off of that East Coast bias. Yea, it will make him and the owners money in the short term but eventually at some point in time the Yankees and Red Sox will be bad again and THEN what happens? Everyone looks at short term solutions without acknowledging any long term ramifications and it's going to wind up hurting the game. But who cares? The owners can make a few million more dollars! Yippee!

sox1970
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
If they add another playoff team, they need to get rid of divisions. It would be ridiculously stupid to have a potential 2nd best team with say, 97 wins, face a 5th best team with 84 wins. If they do it, which I'm not against, they need to make it a top-5 of the league with a balanced schedule (or as close as possible). 4 plays 5 best-of-three, and the winner plays the 1 seed.

ewokpelts
11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
If they add another playoff team, they need to get rid of divisions. It would be ridiculously stupid to have a potential 2nd best team with say, 97 wins, face a 5th best team with 84 wins. If they do it, which I'm not against, they need to make it a top-5 of the league with a balanced schedule (or as close as possible). 4 plays 5 best-of-three, and the winner plays the 1 seed.and what if the 5th best team is the division winner?

Moses_Scurry
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Well I guess it means one less team that the Sox have to beat out to make the postseason. Now, instead of having to beat the Twins, they can get in by just beating the third place AL east team. Doesn't seem as tough.

sox1970
11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
and what if the 5th best team is the division winner?

There shouldn't be divisions. If they add another playoff team, they should just have the top 5 get in and seed them properly.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Owners have adjourned with no decision on this. Selig said there is little support for shortening the regular season or playing DH's.

Expanded playoffs? Get ready for snowed out November games!!! (LOL)

Lip

FloridaTigers
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
This is stupid and I hope it fails. We have enough crappy teams that get hot making the post-season only to get blown out against actual good teams. There's a reason we haven't seen a Game 7 in years. I'd like to think this won't happen, but it will. When things go into "discussions" they always end up happening. Selig can't retire soon enough.

Fenway
11-18-2010, 06:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5821797

Gammons was on NESN briefly and says between now and December, Bud will break bread with the PA and try and get this as early as 2011.

The thought seems to be the wild cards will be 2 of 3 and would be either on MLB or as a peace offering to ESPN who was knocked out of post-season coverage.

The GM's also want the LDS to be best of 7 so....the dream of Thanksgiving baseball continues.

Bob Roarman
11-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Think it's been suggested before, but just give Fenway his own sub-forum.

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2010, 07:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5821797

Gammons was on NESN briefly and says between now and December, Bud will break bread with the PA and try and get this as early as 2011.

The thought seems to be the wild cards will be 2 of 3 and would be either on MLB or as a peace offering to ESPN who was knocked out of post-season coverage.

The GM's also want the LDS to be best of 7 so....the dream of Thanksgiving baseball continues.

This is such a bad idea, I can't wait for Selig to step down.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
This is such a bad idea, I can't wait for Selig to step down.fans of World Series winner that won via the Wild Card disagree with you(red sox, marlins, angels, ect).

Selig has had an...interesting tenure. but He actually has done good for the game.

hdog1017
11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Call me old-fashioned and stinky, but I would love it if they went back to four teams. You have a better chance of getting the two best teams in the World Series. I'd rather have the teams that earn it over 162 games rather than teams that get hot for a couple of weeks by winning a couple of playoff series.

I know it will never happen because it means less cash money in the hands of the owners, but a man can dream, right?

Hitmen77
11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
If they add another playoff team, they need to get rid of divisions. It would be ridiculously stupid to have a potential 2nd best team with say, 97 wins, face a 5th best team with 84 wins. If they do it, which I'm not against, they need to make it a top-5 of the league with a balanced schedule (or as close as possible). 4 plays 5 best-of-three, and the winner plays the 1 seed.

and what if the 5th best team is the division winner?

One thing I hope they get rid of some day is the "unbalanced" schedule. When you have teams competing league-wide for a wild card spot, it's skewed to have win totals compared between teams that play essentially a different set of teams.

Is an 88-win team in the AL East (where that total includes 36 games vs NYY/Bos) "worse" than a 97 win team that racked up wins in a bad division?

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
One thing I hope they get rid of some day is the "unbalanced" schedule. When you have teams competing league-wide for a wild card spot, it's skewed to have win totals compared between teams that play essentially a different set of teams.

Is an 88-win team in the AL East (where that total includes 36 games vs NYY/Bos) "worse" than a 97 win team that racked up wins in a bad division?like the twins?