PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Indians CEO Paul Dolan: 'It's not the right time to spend' on free agents

Fenway
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Well that should help season ticket sales...

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/11/cleveland_indians_ceo_paul_dol_1.html

LoveYourSuit
11-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Can we take Sizemore from them?

tstrike2000
11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
When's the right time, when all the free agents are gone?

asindc
11-18-2010, 07:47 AM
He is right, of course. That team needs significant upgrades at four positions at least, not to mention the pitching staff. What would bringing in 2-3 top FAs do for that team? Enable them to battle for 3rd place in the division? His statement won't sell tickets, but it is an honest assessment.

LongLiveFisk
11-18-2010, 08:37 AM
:whiteflag:

Well, at least they're getting it out of the way early. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
11-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Despite this news, we'll still find a way to manage losing the season series to these guys. After all, they'll probably throw pitchers at us we've never seen and that spells disaster! :redneck :duck:

palehozenychicty
11-18-2010, 10:25 AM
The Toons are the Pirates of the AL. Awesome. :D:

g0g0
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
RE: The Pirates

soxfanatlanta
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen: I give you Mark Shapiro - the 2005, and 2007 executive of the year award winner!

asindc
11-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen: I give you Mark Shapiro - the 2005, and 2007 executive of the year award winner!

:angry:

Hitmen77
11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
They were dead last in attendance last year and Cleveland is one of the smaller metro areas/TV markets (and not exactly growing either).

They're as likely to be a player in the free agent market as Kansas City or Pittsburgh. The "455" days are long gone.

That would be fine with me. IMO, Indians fans are the most obnoxious of all AL Central fans.

palehozenychicty
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
They were dead last in attendance last year and Cleveland is one of the smaller metro areas/TV markets (and not exactly growing either).

They're as likely to be a player in the free agent market as Kansas City or Pittsburgh. The "455" days are long gone.

That would be fine with me. IMO, Indians fans are the most obnoxious of all AL Central fans.

Indeed.

Moses_Scurry
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

I just wish the Twins would join them.

Fenway
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Cleveland-Akron is 17th

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

This is the moment the wheels fell off for the Tribe-

Third Base coach Joel Skinner held Kenny Lofton at third on a play he would have easily scored to tie Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS in the 7th. The next pitch was a douple play and then Boston exploded.

But you can't say Boston would have exploded as everything would have been pitched differently in a tie game.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/21/1193024597_8406.jpg

LongLiveFisk
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Can we take Sizemore from them?

I'm all for that! :cool:

Fenway
11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
MLB is a little concerned by the Indians attendance numbers but also knows that the economy of Northeast Ohio has tanked and fans have seen a promising team dismantled. Pittsburgh needs to get above .500, Oakland has to do something and some baseball people now think DC was a major blunder.

They are more worried about Toronto and Tampa.

Toronto has been hurt by the exchange rate making visits by US fans very costly. Also now needing a passport is a hassle for people who dont live in Michigan or New York who can get the enhanced drivers license.

Tampa has had a very good club the past 3 years with no bump in attendance. The location of The Trop is the problem as fans from the Tampa side just will not cross the bridge. Worse is there is no corporate base in Tampa as with all the bank mergers downtown Tampa has a lot of empty offices. St Pete has way too many people on fixed income and Clearwater is now in trouble as a church has taken so much property of the tax rolls which is killing other homeowners.

MLB's headache is that some markets are going to be hard pressed to average 25,000 a game which is 2,000,000 a year no matter how good a team is.

asindc
11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
MLB is a little concerned by the Indians attendance numbers but also knows that the economy of Northeast Ohio has tanked and fans have seen a promising team dismantled. Pittsburgh needs to get above .500, Oakland has to do something and some baseball people now think DC was a major blunder.

Toronto has been hurt by the exchange rate making visits by US fans very costly. Also now needing a passport is a hassle for people who dont live in Michigan or New York who can get the enhanced drivers license.

Tampa has had a very good club the past 3 years with no bump in attendance. The location of The Trop is the problem as fans from the Tampa side just will not cross the bridge. Worse is there is no corporate base in Tampa as with all the bank mergers downtown Tampa has a lot of empty offices. St Pete has way too many people on fixed income and Clearwater is now in trouble as a church has taken so much property of the tax rolls which is killing other homeowners.

MLB's headache is that some markets are going to be hard pressed to average 25,000 a game which is 2,000,000 a year no matter how good a team is.

The biggest problem for the Nats is that an entire generation grew up here without baseball (and no, for most Washingtonians the O's don't count). Thus, the team simply cannot build a large dedicated fanbase until they start winning. I think they are about two years away (2013) from contending for a WC IF most things break right. The team is locked into its stadium lease for at least another 22 years, so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Besides, this is a lucrative market, so unless you contract the franchise or move it to Vegas, it doesn't make much sense relocating it anywhere in NA anyway.

gogosox675
11-20-2010, 01:40 AM

As difficult as it has been for the Nationals in DC, could you imagine how bad the attendance would have been if they had fielded some of those 100-loss teams at Olympic Stadium? They would have been lucky to draw 800,000.

gobears1987
11-20-2010, 02:52 AM
I can see the Nats one day drawing. There is money in that market and they do seem to be beginning to accumulate some talent that can make them like the Rays in a few years.

Fenway
11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I can see the Nats one day drawing. There is money in that market and they do seem to be beginning to accumulate some talent that can make them like the Rays in a few years.

What concerns MLB is that the Nats TV viewership is beyond awful - It got a spike only when Strasburg pitched but many games less than 10,000 viewers tuned in.

Part of the problem is MASN which has the Nats TV deal so the Orioles would let the Nats in - if the Nats were on CSN-Washington it might improve things - but radio ratings are awful as well.

Hitmen77
11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Cleveland-Akron is 17th

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

I'm surprised the Cleveland market is that high up there. It must be their bad economy and lack of attractiveness (I can't think of another MLB city I'm less interested in visiting) that gives me the impression that it must be near the bottom of market size.

I don't know what's going to happen with Oakland's ballpark situation, but I find it hard to believe that northern California can't support two baseball teams.

MLB has a huge mess on their hands in Tampa since the Rays are locked into a long term lease at The Trop.

The reality is that there never was enough markets in the US to have most MLB teams draw 25,000 per game over 81 games. If you go back to 1985, only 11 of 26 teams drew over 2 million. The Cubs, right after their break-out 1984 season drew 2.1 million that year.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/1985-misc.shtml

Drawing over 2 million per year isn't even close to what NFL, NBA, or NHL teams ever have to draw. It should not be news to MLB that only the top 10 or so teams can draw 35k per game, maybe half can draw 30k per game, and the half the league is going to be hovering around the 2 million mark.

Perhaps the best potential new market for MLB is northern New Jersey, but they'll never get that past the Yankees and Mets.

I think it's premature to call DC a blunder. The team has only been there a few short years and they've been pretty bad on the field. I'm sure Selig and MLB are thrilled that the Nationals got a fancy new ballpark. Washington DC/Northern Va. is a fairly large market. If the team starts winning, I think they'll start putting people in the seats.

TheVulture
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Apart from the seven division titles and seven 90+ win seasons since the Pirates last had so much as a winning season, I suppose you have a point.