PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Column on Sox offseason

JermaineDye05
11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-white-sox-GM-ken-williams-ready-to-shake-up-team-111710)

Basically Rosenthal wonders if the Sox will go the way of the Tigers from last offseason and just try and retool, get younger.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
The Sox can't afford to do that given the dramatic drop they'll have in attendence (which has now gone down from the previous season for four consecutive years...)

They'll save money on payroll but lose far more with the attendance drop, parking, concessions etc.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place because White Sox fans will not support garbage (nor should they after 2005...)

Lip

Nelfox02
11-17-2010, 10:33 PM
The Sox can't afford to do that given the dramatic drop they'll have in attendence (which has now gone down from the previous season for four consecutive years...)

They'll save money on payroll but lose far more with the attendance drop, parking, concessions etc.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place because White Sox fans will not support garbage (nor should they after 2005...)

Lip

I agree with your logic here somewhat---I mean obviously you would see a significant dip in attendance/revenues if the Sox traded away pitching, refused to bolster the roster in FA, and go young......and while I am not saying I want them to go that route.....but it just seems like the Sox are a ship w/o a rudder, they just drift around in a sea of mediocrity. They rarely drift into bad team territory, but they are not heading toward great team waters either.

someone in another thread made the statement that we cant keep putting together 80-85 win teams in the off season with the notion that if this, that, and that go right maybe they can win 88-90 games and win a "modest" AL Central............I cant agree with this more. If it means gutting this team and seeing seas of empty seats for some seasons while you invest in young talent and wait for it to blossom....fine, not the direction I prefer but at least there is a plan in place, building towards soemthing. If you want to say you have some good pieces in place (which they do) but actually go out, raise the payroll, and acquire the proper talent on the market to make this team a legit contender, even better

but do soemthing, show that there is some kind of method to the madness here

russ99
11-18-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with your logic here somewhat---I mean obviously you would see a significant dip in attendance/revenues if the Sox traded away pitching, refused to bolster the roster in FA, and go young......and while I am not saying I want them to go that route.....but it just seems like the Sox are a ship w/o a rudder, they just drift around in a sea of mediocrity. They rarely drift into bad team territory, but they are not heading toward great team waters either.

someone in another thread made the statement that we cant keep putting together 80-85 win teams in the off season with the notion that if this, that, and that go right maybe they can win 88-90 games and win a "modest" AL Central............I cant agree with this more. If it means gutting this team and seeing seas of empty seats for some seasons while you invest in young talent and wait for it to blossom....fine, not the direction I prefer but at least there is a plan in place, building towards soemthing. If you want to say you have some good pieces in place (which they do) but actually go out, raise the payroll, and acquire the proper talent on the market to make this team a legit contender, even better

but do soemthing, show that there is some kind of method to the madness here

Had the Sox wanted to go in that "Plan E" direction, they should have fired the manager and general manager and traded free agents for prospects in August.

To change to that direction with the group in place we have now is foolhardy.

We have the rotation to contend, and don't have the system to rebuild. If they change direction for next season, then 2007 will look like a good season and set the franchise back 15 years.

Had Kenny not sat on his hands the last two offseasons and addressed glaring needs with players who were available for well below market value, would we then have been that good team, instead of hoping that things work out as planned?

Would we then have made up those few games vs. the Twins?

If it's November, Kenny and Jerry are being cheap. What else is new? Can't be long before the obligatory "50 cents" quote.

Tragg
11-18-2010, 08:36 AM
That would make no sense given the recent trade foe Jackson (unlessthat trade was the result of more talent evaluation from the dugout)

DirtySox
11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Lip

Support what garbage? We have no clue what Kenny is going to do, and that article clearly isn't suggesting a full on rebuild. If anything, I'd imagine we get a season similar to 2009 where the kids play under the guise of contending while getting younger. The comparison to what the Tigers did last year is quite apt. The Sox could trade a significant piece or two to add some young impact talent to the team, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

By most reports Kenny doesn't have a whole lot of money or talent to throw around this offseason, in large part due to his "win now" modus operandi. While I agree it would be a bit foolish to do a reload for 2011, if it happens I'll be anything but surprised. The shortcomings of the farm coupled with Kenny's itchy trigger finger and penchant for taking on salary laden veterans is clearly going to lead to a down season or two at some point.

russ99
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Support what garbage? We have no clue what Kenny is going to do, and that article clearly isn't suggesting a full on rebuild. If anything, I'd imagine we get a season similar to 2009 where the kids play under the guise of contending while getting younger. The comparison to what the Tigers did last year is quite apt. The Sox could trade a significant piece or two to add some young impact talent to the team, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

By most reports Kenny doesn't have a whole lot of money or talent to throw around this offseason, in large part due to his "win now" modus operandi. While I agree it would be a bit foolish to do a reload for 2011, if it happens I'll be anything but surprised. The shortcomings of the farm coupled with Kenny's itchy trigger finger and penchant for taking on salary laden veterans is clearly going to lead to a down season or two at some point.

Understandable, but in 2009 we opened the season with:

2B - Chris Getz
3B - Josh Fields
CF - Brian Anderson/DeWayne Wise

Along with Wilson Betemit, Jerry Owens, Corky Miller, Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda also on the roster.

We have worse prospects now.

DirtySox
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Understandable, but in 2009 we opened the season with:

2B - Chris Getz
3B - Josh Fields
CF - Brian Anderson/DeWayne Wise

Along with Wilson Betemit, Jerry Owens, Corky Miller, Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda also on the roster.

We have worse prospects now.

I think it's arguable that we are better off now than in 2009. Morel/Dayan/Sale aren't terrible, and are much more desirable than some of those 2009 players.

Either way, I don't think we get a rebuild year of sorts. It would be foolish to squander a season with the resources that were dumped into the pitching staff.

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2010, 12:53 PM
This rebuilding on the fly sounds a lot like what we did in 2009 and that didn't turn out well at all and in fact, we traded half of those guys that were supposed to inject youth into the team for older guys. If we are going to rebuild, it shouldn't be done with Kenny making the personnel decisions and it shouldn't be done with Ozzie in the dugout.

Tragg
11-19-2010, 07:50 AM
This rebuilding on the fly sounds a lot like what we did in 2009 and that didn't turn out well at all and in fact, we traded half of those guys that were supposed to inject youth into the team for older guys. If we are going to rebuild, it shouldn't be done with Kenny making the personnel decisions and it shouldn't be done with Ozzie in the dugout.

Indeed.