PDA

View Full Version : Phillies doing groundwork for TCQ deal?

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings101117

Towards the bottom. Stark says they are looking at TCQ as a replacement for Werth and have already done "extensive groundwork" for the deal.

SephClone89
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Could we get Halladay?

kittle42
11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Let's hope so. If the Phils are convinced they need an injury-prone butcher in the OF, we've got 'em right where we want 'em!

DirtySox
I love Hot Stove. Shame that it interferes with finals/projects/term papers.

WhiteSox5187
Could we get Halladay?

It seems only fair.

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
it's obvious, TCQ for Contreras.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Dom Brown is ours!

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 01:54 PM
it's obvious, TCQ for Contreras.

And Ross Gload.

PalehosePlanet
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow, apparently The Phillies' brass doesn't follow WSI, because if they did they would know that Carlos absolutely sucks. And had they followed last winter, they would have been clued in to Alexei having the lowest baseball IQ on the planet and that he was a brutal defensive SS.

I, for one, hope KW doesn't sell low on Q. I still think he has upside and that we could do a hell of a lot worse.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Wow, apparently The Phillies' brass doesn't follow WSI, because if they did they would know that Carlos absolutely sucks. And had they followed last winter, they would have been clued in to Alexei having the lowest baseball IQ on the planet and that he was a brutal defensive SS.

I, for one, hope KW doesn't sell low on Q. I still think he has upside and that we could do a hell of a lot worse.

Carlos doesn't absolutely suck offensively. But he is a butcher in the OF. He certainly has value, but it lies in his bat which has been inconsistent. I won't be disappointed if he is traded for something worthwhile, but I wouldn't mind him staying in Chicago as long as he is in the OF less.

PalehosePlanet
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Carlos doesn't absolutely suck offensively. But he is a butcher in the OF. He certainly has value, but it lies in his bat which has been inconsistent. I won't be disappointed if he is traded for something worthwhile, but I wouldn't mind him staying in Chicago as long as he is in the OF less.

Agreed. But in general I don't think people realize that Carlos's production will not be easy to replace for the same money. After arb, he'll be where? 6-7 million? Maybe less? It's not easy to find a replacement to drive in 87 runs for that money.

We already have PK's production to replace in order to be just slightly above average offensively as a team.

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM

:rolleyes:

Well done bringing Alexei Ramirez into a thread he has nothing to do with, though.

PalehosePlanet
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
:rolleyes:

Well done bringing Alexei Ramirez into a thread he has nothing to do with, though.

Just drawing a parallel to another player, who in my opinion, was also unfairly and mercilessly ripped apart on these boards.

Sorry to have rankled you. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Zisk77
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Mabe TCQ + Jenks for a piece we need.

doublem23
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Mabe TCQ + Jenks for a piece we need.

Phillies got to know that Jenks is likely to be non-tendered by the Sox, so they'll be able to pick him off the scrap heap for far cheaper than his bloated, arbitration-aided salary would be.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Just drawing a parallel to another player, who in my opinion, was also unfairly and mercilessly ripped apart on these boards.

To act as if Alexei didn't play some pretty stupid baseball in his first couple of years would be foolish. He has improved greatly, and I've admitted he has gotten better. But that doesn't mean he didn't make some completely stupid mistakes before.

Getting better doesn't completely erase all of the bad things he did do at one time.

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
To act as if Alexei didn't play some pretty stupid baseball in his first couple of years would be foolish. He has improved greatly, and I've admitted he has gotten better. But that doesn't mean he didn't make some completely stupid mistakes before.

It was especially frustrating since he's shown that he has all the talent to be a very solid player, both offensively and defensively.

It seems that he finally turned the corner in early summer of this season. I'm glad he did, and I hope he keeps it up.

asindc
11-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Getting better doesn't completely erase all of the bad things he did do at one time.

All true, but his point is that this could be all true as well for TCQ following the 2011 season.

asindc
11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Phillies got to know that Jenks is likely to be non-tendered by the Sox, so they'll be able to pick him off the scrap heap for far cheaper than his bloated, arbitration-aided salary would be.

I'm not so sure Philly would know how little Sox brass think of Jenks at this point. All they know at this point is that Jenks is the Sox closer and as bad as he was this past season, he is a better option than Brad Lidge.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm not so sure Philly would know how little Sox brass think of Jenks at this point. All they know at this point is that Jenks is the Sox closer and as bad as he was this past season, he is a better option than Brad Lidge.

I would think that if we know it then they would know it.

Foulke You
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Any idea who on the Phillies would we be after in a Quentin deal? Raul Ibanez maybe? :?:

asindc
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I would think that if we know it then they would know it.

We know it because we follow the team closely throughout the season. Even so, my second point about Lidge is where the leverage shifts back to the Sox, if ever so slightly.

Sargeant79
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Any idea who on the Phillies would we be after in a Quentin deal? Raul Ibanez maybe? :?:

TCQ + Jenks for Ryan Howard. Get it done.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
TCQ + Jenks for Ryan Howard. Get it done.

Did I just walk into a room of a teenage girl in 1994 with sweet "electric" colors?

Sargeant79
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Did I just walk into a room of a teenage girl in 1994 with sweet "electric" colors?

It was intended to be a sarcastic yet still wishful thought, but I like your take on it just as much.

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 04:50 PM

Nope, just the opening credits to Saved by the Bell.

cards press box
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM

And it is a fair parallel, too. Carlos Quentin is a legitimate, middle-of-the-order power threat. He had a down year in 2010 and still had 26 HR's and 87 RBI. If he stays in the middle of the Sox order, he should hit around 30 HR and drive in around 100 runs. That production would not be too shabby but you are quite right -- when some WSI posters look at TCQ, they only see feet of clay.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
And it is a fair parallel, too. Carlos Quentin is a legitimate, middle-of-the-order power threat. He had a down year in 2010 and still had 26 HR's and 87 RBI. If he stays in the middle of the Sox order, he should hit around 30 HR and drive in around 100 runs. That production would not be too shabby but you are quite right -- when some WSI posters look at TCQ, they only see feet of clay.

You forgot "glove of stone" as well.

I wouldn't mind having Ibanez here, but I doubt they'd trade an OFer, since the whole point of the trade is to plug in that OF hole.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't mind having Ibanez here, but I doubt they'd trade an OFer, since the whole point of the trade is to plug in that OF hole.

Ibanez sucks. Ibanez for TCQ would get KW fired on the spot.

LoveYourSuit
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Ibanez does not suck.

Are you kidding me?

Is he over-paid? Yes (based on this past year). But he does not suck.

Domeshot17
11-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Alexei Ramirez and TCQ are not even close in comparison. One was a young player learning a new position in his 2nd full mlb season. The other has been around for a while, and has been consistently inconsistent and consistently injured. After 1700 MLB AB's, I feel safe to say Quentin is who he is. a 250 hitter who is streaky, who can carry a team for a week but can't be one of your 3 best hitters, who at the end of the year will probably give you about 250-25-85 with a mid to low 800 OPS. Quentin has not done 1 thing to show 2008 was not a total fluke. He has value, as a 6 hitter, nothing more, but nothing less.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Yeah, .275-16-83 is sooo bad.

Granted, he did have his lowest HR total since 2004, but he's a slightly better defender, and is a lefty threat. Not as big a threat as Dunn would be, but he's still respected at the plate.

Carlos seems to be a lost cause...he can't stay healthy, and on the rare occasion he does, he's ridiculously hot or ridiculously cold.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 11:55 PM
It was intended to be a sarcastic yet still wishful thought, but I like your take on it just as much.Psst. Sarcasm uses teal, not "deep sky blue."

:tealtutor:

DirtySox
11-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Ibanez might not suck, but he certainly isn't anything to write home about. He's a bad defender, doesn't have tons of power, and as stated is overpaid. Raul isn't much of a solution to anything, especially since most outlets are reporting Kenny only has about 15 million to work with this off-season.

Also, obligatory Ibanez GIF:

Mod edit: Copyrighted material removed. Just because someone makes copyrighted material into a gif doesn't make it fair game.

cards press box
11-18-2010, 03:46 AM

Touche. "Glove of stone" is pretty funny.

It is true that Quentin may not be the most fluid outfielder but he does have a good arm and seems to have adequate range. Having said that, his best skill is hitting and, thus, is probably is best suited to being a DH.

Thome25
11-18-2010, 06:25 AM
C'mon KW....trade The CQ and replace him in the OF by either signing Carl Crawford or trading for Colby Rasmus....

Get it done!!!

Jiddy78
11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
I found this very surprising.

Anyone hear anything about this? What we would potentially get back?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings101117

All you need to know is that they continue to explore numerous options for replacing Werth. They've done what one source described as "extensive" groundwork on a potential deal for the White Sox's Carlos Quentin (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6192). They remain interested in Jeff Francoeur (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6345) to play against left-handers. And while they have mild interest in Jermaine Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3449), that appears to be on just a back-burner, spring-training-invite level.

Tragg
11-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Exactly- no value

but the reality is that he'd be a damn good dh for us. What we need is an athletic right fielder who can hit

Carolina Kenny
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Please don't trade Q. He is due for a big rebound season.

I love Carlos Q

soltrain21
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Exactly- no value

but the reality is that he'd be a damn good dh for us. What we need is an athletic right fielder who can hit

Until he gets hurt by running, sliding or breathing.

KMcMahon817
11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah, .275-16-83 is sooo bad.

Granted, he did have his lowest HR total since 2004, but he's a slightly better defender, and is a lefty threat. Not as big a threat as Dunn would be, but he's still respected at the plate.

Carlos seems to be a lost cause...he can't stay healthy, and on the rare occasion he does, he's ridiculously hot or ridiculously cold.

Okay..but Ibanez for TCQ makes zero sense for the Sox. Trading a younger, cheaper, and more productive Quentin for a significantly older, much higher paid, and declining Ibanez solves exactly zero problems for the Sox.

Rockin Robin
11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi guys, can we get Halladay and Howard for Quentin?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Touche. "Glove of stone" is pretty funny.

It is true that Quentin may not be the most fluid outfielder but he does have a good arm and seems to have adequate range. Having said that, his best skill is hitting and, thus, is probably is best suited to being a DH.

Everytime I see Quentin in right, he looks like a deer on ice skates. He gets bad reads followed by bad jumps followed by the fact that he is slow and add to that the fact that he is brittle and gets hurt doing seemingly anything, I would say he is not a good outfielder by any stretch of the imagination.