PDA

View Full Version : Gardy, Black Named Managers of the Year

Marqhead
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5816512

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
gardenhire? what did he do to deserve it? get swept by the yankees in the alds again?

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I approve.

cleanwsox
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Ron Gardenhire... the best regular season manager of all time.

11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't understand how Washington didn't win manager of the year

sox1970
11-17-2010, 02:16 PM
They vote before the payoffs start. Gardenhire has never won the award, and they won 94 games. Can't argue with it.

doublem23
11-17-2010, 02:16 PM
gardenhire? what did he do to deserve it? get swept by the yankees in the alds again?

I don't understand how Washington didn't win manager of the year

Votes are cast and counted before the ALDS, they're just not announced until today.

doublem23
11-17-2010, 02:17 PM
They vote before the payoffs start. Gardenhire has never won the award, and they won 94 games. Can't argue with it.

Well, I think you can if you think the BBWAA should join the rest of us here in the 1990s and get something called "electronic mail."

tstrike2000
11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Solid choices, no argument here. San Diego was expected to win about 75 games and almost won the division.

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Ron Washington still deserved it, as he managed that team through a lot this year. from his drug issues, to ownership not quite having 100% faith in him, AND the sale of the team.

downstairs
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
They like to give them to managers who've never won them before, or at least never won them on their current team.

I still can't argue with Gardy.

Twins Win
11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
It does surprise me how a lot people thought Washington deserved it. The Rangers finished with the worst regular season record out of all the playoff teams and were probably in the worst division in baseball. I thought Joe Madden deserved more votes than he got. They had the best record in the AL and did it in the best division in baseball.

Still I'm happy to see Gardy get it. I just thought Madden deserved a little more praise than he got.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Ron Washington still deserved it, as he managed that team through a lot this year. from his drug issues, to ownership not quite having 100% faith in him, AND the sale of the team.

That wouldn't be very fair for the other candidates if that was taken into account.

"Oh, let's vote for him. He did cocaine at one point."

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
who's gardy?

TDog
11-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Solid choices, no argument here. San Diego was expected to win about 75 games and almost won the division.

... before they had an epic meltdown in September. Manager of the Year is one award that should be voted on after the postseason. This one looks like it was voted on in mid-September.

soxinem1
11-17-2010, 05:59 PM
... before they had an epic meltdown in September. Manager of the Year is one award that should be voted on after the postseason. This one looks like it was voted on in mid-September.

+1.

Additionally, MIN was expected to contend, and while TEX was given a shot to have a winning team, most of the experts thought the weakened LAAA would be AL West Champs.

Like the GG, the MOY is getting to be a joke......

cards press box
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
It does surprise me how a lot people thought Washington deserved it. The Rangers finished with the worst regular season record out of all the playoff teams and were probably in the worst division in baseball. I thought Joe Madden deserved more votes than he got. They had the best record in the AL and did it in the best division in baseball.

Still I'm happy to see Gardy get it. I just thought Madden deserved a little more praise than he got.

Joe Maddon and Ron Washington probably would have better choices for AL manager of the year but Ron Gardenhire did have a fine regular season. Still, Gardy's 6-21 record in the post-season is amazingly awful. That is a winning percentage of .222. I don't know that if that is the worst post-season winning percentage of anyone who has managed 25 or more post season games but if it isn't, it has to be in the team photo.

The Immigrant
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Let me state for the record that I do not like Ron Gardenhire. He's one of my least favorite people in all of baseball. With that in mind, I do not approve of this award.

11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Votes are cast and counted before the ALDS, they're just not announced until today.

I know. My opinion stands

ewokpelts
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
A 2009 division winner wining it again in 2010? Surely he deserves the award, right?

Bobby Thigpen
11-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to figure out how Black won it over Dusty.

soxfanatlanta
11-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Or Bobby Cox - that team was held together with duct tape at the end of the season, and they still made the playoffs.

doublem23
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Or Bobby Cox - that team was held together with duct tape at the end of the season, and they still made the playoffs.

I figured Bobby Cox would have been the sentimental favorite. I know the Padres played over their heads all year, but, I'm still pretty shocked.

soxinem1
11-18-2010, 03:17 PM

I know there are a lot of Dusty detractors here, as I am one of them.

However this year Dusty managed that young roster, pitching included, to near perfection in the regular season. He made the right moves, rested his regulars, didn't burn out the young arms, and really did a fine job.

SD was in a supposedly-weak division while STL and CHC were the supposed favorites in the NL Central.

IMHO, Dusty should have been a unanimous pick in the NL. He deserved it.

Foulke You
11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Apparently, Dusty missed getting the award by 1 vote.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
The Twins reward Gardy by signing him to a two-year extension...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-twins-gardenhire

At least we can count on the Twins not playing in the ALCS the next three years.

ewokpelts
11-19-2010, 09:29 AM
who's gardy?

hdog1017
11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know if they have advanced metrics for managers? Over the past few years, we've seen players judged on more in-depth stats (WORP) rather the traditional ones (Batting avg, RBI's for instance).

To me, it seems it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. If you have a team that "over-achieves" because the team wins more than what they were predicted to win in the preseason, they are likely to win the award. Maybe their "overachievement" was product of bad predictions rather than good managing.

TDog
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know if they have advanced metrics for managers? Over the past few years, we've seen players judged on more in-depth stats (WORP) rather the traditional ones (Batting avg, RBI's for instance).

To me, it seems it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. If you have a team that "over-achieves" because the team wins more than what they were predicted to win in the preseason, they are likely to win the award. Maybe their "overachievement" was product of bad predictions rather than good managing.

All the awards are popularity contests, at least among the people who vote on them. The Hall of Fame was founded as a popularity contest. Even players who earn awards endear themselves to the voters because they earned it (although Ted Williams' problems with the media cost him at least one MVP).

Metrics for players don't matter. Certainly, metrics for managers wouldn't matter if there were any. You can't measure the skill of a manager in getting the most out of his players. No metric, for example, will show how the Giants came back to win a game against the Dodgers last summer after Bruce Bochy went to the umpires and pointed out a rule that required the pitcher to be removed to bring in a pitcher who wasn't ready. No metrics can show that both Dusty Baker (who I thought would win the NL award) and Bochy got more out of their players than Bud Black did, but I honestly believe they did.

Rawhide
12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Dusty would have been my pick hands down. How many fornosticators (my word) picked the Reds to win the NL Central? The Cardinals have owned that division.
Further, you can see the constant improvement of the players on that team. The Reds are in position to be contenders for years to come. Dusty is not only reviving a team, he's reviving what you used to be a baseball town.