PDA

View Full Version : Matsui?

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman) Jon Heyman
#whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox) talking to matsui. they want 2 lefty bats. that would be one.
36 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/4958225996713985)

palehozenychicty
11-17-2010, 01:07 PM
For one year, as a DH, why not?

beasly213
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
As long ask they sign PK too that's fine.

Sockinchisox
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, sure.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1168636600/IMAG0018crop_normal.JPG
CSNChi_Beatnik (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik) Brett Ballantini
Per KW unlikely to sign an offense-only player @ DH RT @SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman): #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox) talking to matsui. they want 2 lefty bats. that would be one
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik/status/4963117620535296)
Rotating DH go! (which I'm fine with if done with the right players)

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1168636600/IMAG0018crop_normal.JPG
Rotating DH go! (Which I'm fine with if done with the right players)

Oh, ****ing balls. Not this again.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Oh, ****ing balls. Not this again.

I just want Carlos out of RF. Please let him be an offense only player.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I just want Carlos out of RF. Please let him be an offense only player.

Matsui over Carlos in RF? Really...? If you sign Matsui to DH, Carlos has to be in RF.

Dirty30
11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Matsui over Carlos in RF? Really...? If you sign Matsui to DH, Carlos has to be in RF.

Or you get rid of Quentin.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:43 PM

No.

I want neither in the OF. Carlos was one of the worst OF in all of baseball last year. I suppose I'm just advocating the signing of a decent RF with Carlos/someone else as primary DH.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Or you get rid of Quentin.

You still need a RF. Matsui is not a right fielder anymore.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 01:47 PM
No.

I want neither in the OF. Carlos was one of the worst OF in all of baseball last year. I suppose I'm just advocating the signing of a decent RF with Carlos as primary DH.

Okay, which is fair. But then Matsui wouldn't make any sense. In a perfect world, I think all SOX fans would love a good RF, a good 1B, and Carlos to DH. I just don't see the SOX spending that much.

I know you hate Carlos' D, but most teams have at least one guy in the OF who isn't great with the glove. That doesn't necessarily make it okay, but don't you think having Rios in CF helps Carlos enough to make the OF defense passable? Pierre surprised everyone last year with his defense which is actually pretty good.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Okay, which is fair. But then Matsui wouldn't make any sense. In a perfect world, I think all SOX fans would love a good RF, a good 1B, and Carlos to DH. I just don't see the SOX spending that much.

I know you hate Carlos' D, but most teams have at least one guy in the OF who isn't great with the glove. That doesn't necessarily make it okay, but don't you think having Rios in CF helps Carlos enough to make the OF defense passable? Pierre surprised everyone last year with his defense which is actually pretty good.

Right on Matsui not making sense in that regard. I was just following up on the whole not wanting an "offense only type" comment by KW.

I think if you can upgrade the defense by signing a passable RF while at the same time improving the offense by moving CQ to DH, it's a no-brainer. That might not be an option though unless a trade occurs.

LoveYourSuit
11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Matsui did put up OK numbers in what IMO is a very good pitcher's park.

I would like to have him, I said the same thing last year.

Sockinchisox
11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/ChiTribRogers/status/4984116948766720

Noneck
11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Would he expect more than 1 year deal? Would he want the same, more money or less than last year?
Wasnt there a story out there last year that he didnt want to play for the Sox?

PalehosePlanet
11-17-2010, 03:39 PM
KW doesn't want an offense only player, but met w/Dunn yesterday and they're talking to Matsui today. Doesn't make much sense.

dickallen15
11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
KW doesn't want an offense only player, but met w/Dunn yesterday and they're talking to Matsui today. Doesn't make much sense.
Nothing leaked makes sense. They said earlier he was kicking the tires on Soriano who is repped by Boras and was expected to make Beckham available. He's probably got his guys out there leaking bad information.

doublem23
11-17-2010, 04:13 PM

True, but KW has really painted himself in a corner and right now has a ****load of holes in his roster, no minor league talent to fill those holes, and probably not much money.

He should be at least listening to everyone right now. It's going to take 1-2 miracles for him to make this roster competitive in 2011. I hope he's up to the challenge.

whitesoxfan1986
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
True, but KW has really painted himself in a corner and right now has a ****load of holes in his roster, no minor league talent to fill those holes, and probably not much money.

He should be at least listening to everyone right now. It's going to take 1-2 miracles for him to make this roster competitive in 2011. I hope he's up to the challenge.
All of this is very true, Kenny needs to ask JR for permission to increase payroll even further over the next couple of years. If JR says no, then they need to go into an all out rebuild, trading Danks, Alexei, and Rios now, Jackson at the Deadline, and Floyd either at the Deadline or in the 2011-2012 offseason, sign low risk high reward FAs to fill out the roster this season, and if at all possible, get Peavy off the books if he re-establishes himself as a guy who can get hitters out.
IMO there should be no "82-87 win team, but can win 90-95 with a couple of breaks" team building this offseason by Kenny. Either you build a team that can win 90-95 if it stays healthy, or you blow it up and start over, and start stockpiling draft picks. There is no in between.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
And the number of crickets in U.S. Cellular Field would outnumber the fans on most game days.

Lip

guillen4life13
11-17-2010, 11:37 PM
And the number of crickets in U.S. Cellular Field would outnumber the fans on most game days.

Lip

Sometimes you gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

dickallen15
11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
All of this is very true, Kenny needs to ask JR for permission to increase payroll even further over the next couple of years. If JR says no, then they need to go into an all out rebuild, trading Danks, Alexei, and Rios now, Jackson at the Deadline, and Floyd either at the Deadline or in the 2011-2012 offseason, sign low risk high reward FAs to fill out the roster this season, and if at all possible, get Peavy off the books if he re-establishes himself as a guy who can get hitters out.
IMO there should be no "82-87 win team, but can win 90-95 with a couple of breaks" team building this offseason by Kenny. Either you build a team that can win 90-95 if it stays healthy, or you blow it up and start over, and start stockpiling draft picks. There is no in between.
In between brought the White Sox a world championship. Its not the NBA where in between is pretty much death. In between in baseball does work occassionally and does bring people to the park. Full blown rebuilds aren't exactly a guarantee. The small market teams have been trying forever to do this with very little success save TB but look how long they had to be awful before having any success, and maybe the Marlins, but put the current Marlins at USCF and you'd be lucky to draw 15k a game. I really don't understand the giddiness some have with the idea of trading away all the Sox current talent to get young unestablished guys who are still question marks. The Marlins have developed and drafted better than the White Sox the last 10 years, so you would think they would have a better eye for young talent, but look at their haul for Miguel Cabrera. Garbage.

palehozenychicty
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Lip

Yeah, they would. I'd rather have a team that can own the division. No reason to be losing every year to that team up in Minny.

wulfy
11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Count me among those NOT in favor of TCQ in the DH role .... too much time for him to think/stew.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Pale:

Considering Chicago is so much bigger than any other of the cities in the division. Considering the value of the franchise, the value of the broadcast contracts, the population base as well as the marketing / advertsing opportunities there's no reason in the world why they shouldn't dominate this division like the Yankees / Red Sox do in the East.

Rebuilding with kids is an option of course (and hoping they all are good, all at the same time and you can keep them all when their contracts increase...fat chance) but there are other ways to do it as well.

One way would have been to get talent in a buyer's market through free agency the past two off seasons.

Just saying.

I appreciate the Sox willingness to get help at the deadline (Peavy, Rios, Jackson) but I've never understood the operating philosophy, what to me is counterproductive, of bypassing golden opportunities in a market that may never come again the past two winters. Maybe it's simply the long held resentment against free agency in general. I don't know.

Lip

JB98
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I wanted them to sign Matsui to be the DH last offseason.

whitesoxfan1986
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Pale:

Considering Chicago is so much bigger than any other of the cities in the division. Considering the value of the franchise, the value of the broadcast contracts, the population base as well as the marketing / advertsiing opportunities there's no reason in the world why they shouldn't dominate this division like the Yankees / Red Sox do in the East.

Rebuilding with kids is an option of course (and hoping they all are good, all at the same time and you can keep them all when their contracts increase...fat chance) but there are other ways to do it as well.

One way would have been to get talent in a buyer's market through free agency the past two off seasons.

Just saying.

I appreciate the Sox willingness to get help at the deadline (Peavy, Rios, Jackson) but I've never understood the operating philosophy, what to me is counterproductive, of bypassing golden opportunities in a market that may never come again the past two winters. Maybe it's simply the long held resentment against free agency in general. I don't know.

Lip
The statement in bold is very true. IMO we are like the Cubs(at the major league level) as an organization right now, saddled with expensive players and massive holes in the roster. Actually, save the Soriano contract, If the Cubs didn't have a buffoon running their team, they would be better served for success in the future than the Sox are currently due to the fact that they actually have some talent in the farm, while we have nada besides Sale.

We, as fans, have to realize that the Sox organization is at a crossroads right now. With no talent on the farm, and massive holes on the roster, KW and JR have to decide whether they want to increase payroll to the $130-140MM range for a couple of years, or slash it and start over. If they try to hit lightning in a bottle again with low risk high reward free agents, and without trading anyone on the current roster for young talent, they'll still have a $110 MM payroll, and win 70-80 games to show for it. Does JR really want to spend that much for nothing? I wouldn't. Again, I don't think there is an in between this year because it will win nothing, and probably result in a losing season anyway.

By the way, if they decide to start over, when the Sox get some good players that are 1-2 years into the league, they should accelerate the rebuilding process by not sitting on their farm depth and hope, but trading some of the guys they are not as high on for established players.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-19-2010, 10:07 AM

That would have been a great move. He made $6 million with LAA, isn't that what the Sox donated to Manny?

LoveYourSuit
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Here too. He was there for the taking. Had they offered him a multi year deal I think he would have come here rather than LAA. He posted very solid numbers IMO for what I consider a pithcher's park in Anaheim.

tstrike2000
11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Re-sign Dye for RF? Not that I personally would try that again but not sure of other RF alternatives.

Nellie_Fox
11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Re-sign Dye for RF? Not that I personally would try that again but not sure of other RF alternatives.Dye couldn't play right field any more in 2009. IF anybody takes a chance on Dye, it will be for DH.

eriqjaffe
11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Re-sign Dye for RF? Not that I personally would try that again but not sure of other RF alternatives.Well, at least his legs would be rested.

Foulke You
11-24-2010, 03:49 PM
The Angels declined arbitration on Matsui:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AixSP3jdf65YSpLq_b20vnyFCLcF?slug=rotowi re-idekiatsuiotfferedrb

russ99
11-24-2010, 07:59 PM

Lefty high OBP hitter with some pop which we sorely need. Makes plenty of sense.

Boondock Saint
11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Lefty high OBP hitter with some pop which we sorely need. Makes plenty of sense.

It doesn't make sense in the context of the Sox apparently not wanting an offense only player.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-24-2010, 11:17 PM
It doesn't make sense in the context of the Sox apparently not wanting an offense only player.

If this is the case, they are dumber than anyone could possibly have imagined for having learned nothing last year. They are going to have trouble affording adequate position player replacements. The last thing they should be worried about is the DH's glove.

Foulke You
11-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Another stat for Matsui that jumps out at me is that he is a career .300 hitter with RISP. Given our lineup's troubles performing in the clutch the last few years, Matsui would be a welcome addition.

cws05champ
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Another stat for Matsui that jumps out at me is that he is a career .300 hitter with RISP. Given our lineup's troubles performing in the clutch the last few years, Matsui would be a welcome addition.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a great addition, but the Sox were 3rd in all of baseball last year in average with RISP.

cards press box
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hideki Matsui would be an excellent addition to the White Sox. He brings left handed power to the lineup, gets on base and is a good RBI man. The Angels are probably not going to try and re-sign Matsui, as they seem inclined to make Bobby Abreu their DH next year.

KMcMahon817
11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Hideki Matsui would be an excellent addition to the White Sox. He brings left handed power to the lineup, gets on base and is a good RBI man. The Angels are probably not going to try and re-sign Matsui, as they seem inclined to make Bobby Abreu their DH next year.

Resign Paulie and AJ (or trade for someone better) and sign Matsui or Dunn = me satisfied.