PDA

View Full Version : JR Talks About Ozzie/Kenny Relationship

Lip Man 1
11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Confirms Sox gave Florida permission to speak with Ozzie IF they offered a player. JR says it wasn't Stanton.

Says relationship is actually better than in most places. Doesn't see either man coming to him and saying, "it's him or me..."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2900354,CST-SPT-gordon17.article

Lip

Balfanman
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
''Family-wise, I don't think it will go back to normal, when you have your kids involved or your wife involved,'' Guillen told the Sun-Times then. ''It's not easy. But we are still friends. We still hang around the way it should be, working with the team, working with baseball, and we'll see what happens.''

Admittedly I haven't followed this fued very closely; but isn't all the "family" involvement and accusation in this controversy from the Guillen side? I don't remember any family accusations coming from K. W.; although I could very well be "misremembering". It seems to me that Ozzie and his control(lack of) with his family has been the major problem here. If his wife and kids would just shut up we would probably not even of noticed much animosity between K. W. and Ozzie.

soxfanatlanta
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Basic fluff piece, and it's not even spring training yet.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Basic fluff piece, and it's not even spring training yet.

Yep. I can't wait to hear how many players are in the "best shape of their lives."

cws05champ
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
The most interesting thing in there was that the player that the Sox asked for was not Stanton, but it looks like Logan Morrison. I still would do that deal in a heartbeat.

dickallen15
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
There's no news in this "exclusive" Sun Times story. Seriously, most of the stories written in the off season most of us could write off the tops of our heads with made up quotes and they would be very similar to the real thing.

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
''Family-wise, I don't think it will go back to normal, when you have your kids involved or your wife involved,'' Guillen told the Sun-Times then. ''It's not easy. But we are still friends. We still hang around the way it should be, working with the team, working with baseball, and we'll see what happens.''

Admittedly I haven't followed this fued very closely; but isn't all the "family" involvement and accusation in this controversy from the Guillen side? I don't remember any family accusations coming from K. W.; although I could very well be "misremembering". It seems to me that Ozzie and his control(lack of) with his family has been the major problem here. If his wife and kids would just shut up we would probably not even of noticed much animosity between K. W. and Ozzie.

From what has been reported, you are correct in saying that it all came from the Guillen side. Some of Ozzie's family believe they are celebs and love the spotlight and I bet Oney will still be running his mouth next season.

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Kenny Williams, Jr. plays a role in this as well.

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Really? What happened?

dickallen15
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
By being drafted higher than Ozney. Of course the Guillen's didn't mention Jr. was drafted higher out of college, but out of HS he was drafted much, much lower than Ozney. Ozney has a chance to prove the Sox wrong. Let's see what he does.

russ99
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
By being drafted higher than Ozney. Of course the Guillen's didn't mention Jr. was drafted higher out of college, but out of HS he was drafted much, much lower than Ozney. Ozney has a chance to prove the Sox wrong. Let's see what he does.

Who cares. This is dumb and both fathers need to keep a lid on it, and worry about doing their jobs.

I for one hope they can do that, keep the focus on baseball.

kufram
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
This is an issue only given a little breath of life by a reporter writing his opinion rather than any news. JR's words sound like the truth to me.

WhiteSox5187
11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Really? What happened?

Basically I think it stems from the fact that Kenny Williams Jr was picked in something like the sixth round (when teams are generally still drafting talent rather than doing favors for family, etc.) and that was what one scout called something like the "worst and dumbest pick" and was clearly a favor to Kenny's son and then Kenny wouldn't return the favor to Ozzie's son which I think upset Ozney more than it did Ozzie. If Kenny's kid had been drafted in the later rounds, this would have been a non-issue. If Ozney (or Oney, I get them confused) hadn't shot his mouth off this would have been a non-issue. If Kenny hadn't allegedly gone down into the Sox clubhouse and challenged Ozzie to a fight, this would have been a non-issue. But, somehow this all became very muddled and it became an issue.

wilburaga
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
If I were JR. I'd impose a 'no kids' policy on the free agent draft. Really, Guillen's kids, Williams' kids, Baines' kid, Schueler's daughter - I'm sick of it. It never works out and I think it's probably doing these kids a disservice. Let them make it on their own or get on with their lives.