PDA

View Full Version : Sox met with Dunn agent today

Rockabilly
11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5814573&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

I predict Dunn will sign with the Cubs

DirtySox
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
More wishy-washy KW comments. He says they need to decide whether they should add to the current mix or play the kids. I wonder if we will have a repeat of 2009?

soltrain21
11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
More wishy-washy KW comments. He says they need to decide whether they should add to the current mix or play the kids. I wonder if we will have a repeat of 2009?

Yeah. That's what happens when you don't have a plan and just react. This team is just a mish-mash of zero direction right now.

Frater Perdurabo
11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Bite the bullet on payroll and give me Dunn, Crawford and AJ, and we're set.

Pierre, Crawford, Rios, Dunn, TCQ DH, Alexei, AJ, Bacon, Morel :bandance:

Domeshot17
11-16-2010, 08:40 PM
The White Sox don't sign marquee free agents. I would bet we are more likely to end up with Brad Hawpe then Adam Dunn. We don't have much in terms of attraction to offer guys, so we would have to be the top spender, which we don't do.

hi im skot
11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah. That's what happens when you don't have a plan and just react. This team is just a mish-mash of zero direction right now.

They don't exactly give you any reason to be excited, do they?

Hitmen77
11-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Bite the bullet on payroll and give me Dunn, Crawford and AJ, and we're set.

Pierre, Crawford, Rios, Dunn, TCQ DH, Alexei, AJ, Bacon, Morel :bandance:
I think you need some deep pink there.

Domeshot17
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM

If the plan is to go young and rebuild (without calling it rebuilding!) then the Jackson trade was just moronic. This is pretty much the last hurrah for this pitching staff, so you almost need to go all out for a title. Not just build another 85 win team and hope to catch lightning in the bottle.

DirtySox
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
If the plan is to go young and rebuild (without calling it rebuilding!) then the Jackson trade was just moronic. This is pretty much the last hurrah for this pitching staff, so you almost need to go all out for a title. Not just build another 85 win team and hope to catch lightning in the bottle.

Agree with this. It would be rather irresponsible to "go young" this season. if rebuilding (of sorts) is in the cards, 2012 would be a much better choice.

Frater Perdurabo
11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I think you need some deep pink there.

I figured that would be both redundant and insufficient. Maybe a deeppink bong.

Domeshot17
11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Agree with this. It would be rather irresponsible to "go young" this season. if rebuilding (of sorts) is in the cards, 2012 would be a much better choice.

I also don't think you can really rebuild with with the worst farm in baseball. The Sox have to realize they don't scout, draft, or develop well at all. They don't spend money in the draft, so why use that as the main source to win? It would be the same as building a pitching staff around fly ball pitchers or a lineup around no power guys in our ballpark.

Foulke You
11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
The hot stove talk has barely begun and the doom and gloom is already setting in? Let's wait and see what Kenny does before passing judgment on his moves. He didn't say they were completely rebuilding. You never know what deals and free agents will be out there to make this team better. I have a feeling we could have a different outlook on things in January after some trades and signings are in the books.

spawn
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
The hot stove talk has barely begun and the doom and gloom is already setting in? Let's wait and see what Kenny does before passing judgment on his moves. He didn't say they were completely rebuilding. You never know what deals and free agents will be out there to make this team better. I have a feeling we could have a different outlook on things in January after some trades and signings are in the books.
People just can't get enough of pissing and moaning I guess. It happens every year. Really, are you surprised?

Foulke You
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
People just can't get enough of pissing and moaning I guess. It happens every year. Really, are you surprised?
I've been posting on this site since the rivals.com days so no, it doesn't surprise me at all. :cool: Honestly, I think it isn't a "WSI-only" thing. It is just the nature of many White Sox fans to be cynical and to expect the worst. It's written into the genetic code and is part of our nature to an extent. Just as it is in the nature of Cubs fans to declare "It's Gonna Happen" when they go 6W-0L on a May road trip through Pittsburgh and Washington.:tongue:

KMcMahon817
11-16-2010, 11:17 PM

I am not 100% sold on doing this, just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Sign Dunn for 2 years ~12 million per with an option for a third year. Rotate him and Viciedo at 1B and DH. Dunn struggles a bit against lefties, and Dayan is strongest against lefties. Dunn plays most of the other games at DH, with Quentin in RF (DH sometimes). Teahen backs up at DH, 1B, RF and 3B in a pinch...he is on the roster, and his value will be maximized playing a few days a week as a super-utility player.

I realize that the defense didn't improve, and having Dunn/Dayan at 1B is going to be a shock at the beginning with all of us being so used to Paulie's digs. I can live with Quentin in RF; he is passable for the time being with Rios in CF.

Resign AJ and you solve all of the holes in the everyday lineup with only adding ~12 million to next years payroll. Ship off Jenks, resign Putz, and add an arm in the bullpen. Resign Freddy, or someone better...

The team is obviously similar to last years minus Paulie, add Dunn. But we wouldn't be dealing with a complete hole at DH for most of the season. This also gives Dayan his best chance to succeed with mainly only seeing time against lefties. I don't know if this team could win more than 88 games, but if that's all the money they have to spend, I guess I wouldn't be all that upset if we went with this team.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2010, 11:39 PM
I would bet we are more likely to end up with Brad Hawpe then Adam Dunn.In that order?

PalehosePlanet
11-16-2010, 11:58 PM
The White Sox don't sign marquee free agents. I would bet we are more likely to end up with Brad Hawpe then Adam Dunn. We don't have much in terms of attraction to offer guys, so we would have to be the top spender, which we don't do.

Brad Hawpe could very well be this upcoming year's Aubrey Huff.

BadBobbyJenks
11-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Damn we have zero direction and doom is heading this way?

:gulp: to 2012

spawn
11-17-2010, 05:53 AM
I've been posting on this site since the rivals.com days so no, it doesn't surprise me at all. :cool: Honestly, I think it isn't a "WSI-only" thing. It is just the nature of many White Sox fans to be cynical and to expect the worst. It's written into the genetic code and is part of our nature to an extent. Just as it is in the nature of Cubs fans to declare "It's Gonna Happen" when they go 6W-0L on a May road trip through Pittsburgh and Washington.:tongue:
Good point. And it's probably not just Sox fans. I'm sure this happens with fans of most sports teams in general.

Lillian
11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
I am not 100% sold on doing this, just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Sign Dunn for 2 years ~12 million per with an option for a third year. Rotate him and Viciedo at 1B and DH. Dunn struggles a bit against lefties, and Dayan is strongest against lefties. Dunn plays most of the other games at DH, with Quentin in RF (DH sometimes). Teahen backs up at DH, 1B, RF and 3B in a pinch...he is on the roster, and his value will be maximized playing a few days a week as a super-utility player.

I realize that the defense didn't improve, and having Dunn/Dayan at 1B is going to be a shock at the beginning with all of us being so used to Paulie's digs. I can live with Quentin in RF; he is passable for the time being with Rios in CF.

Resign AJ and you solve all of the holes in the everyday lineup with only adding ~12 million to next years payroll. Ship off Jenks, resign Putz, and add an arm in the bullpen. Resign Freddy, or someone better...

The team is obviously similar to last years minus Paulie, add Dunn. But we wouldn't be dealing with a complete hole at DH for most of the season. This also gives Dayan his best chance to succeed with mainly only seeing time against lefties. I don't know if this team could win more than 88 games, but if that's all the money they have to spend, I guess I wouldn't be all that upset if we went with this team.

It makes sense to me, and it might even be worth going as high as $15 Million per year for Dunn, if that's what it would take.
You all know how strongly I believe that the Sox need a left handed bat.
This suggestion solves the problem, without giving up any pitching.

beasly213
11-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I would rather re sign Paulie for 2 years than sign Dunn for two years..

delben91
11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
It makes sense to me, and it might even be worth going as high as $15 Million per year for Dunn, if that's what it would take.
You all know how strongly I believe that the Sox need a left handed bat.
This suggestion solves the problem, without giving up any pitching.

Should've kept Brad Eldred. :wink:

asindc
11-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Good point. And it's probably not just Sox fans. I'm sure this happens with fans of most sports teams in general.

Having posted quite a bit on other sites, there seems to be a distinct but very vocal minority in every fan base that seems predisposed to hate most (if not all) of what management does, no matter who the managers are. Even so, it is still annoying to me to hear (or read, in this case) the broken record skip every time you get to that part of the song.

russ99
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Only one issue with this idea: Dunn doesn't want to DH and the Sox management/coaching staff don't want a young player like Viciedo to DH.

I'd rather see the Sox sign Dunn and try and convince Paul to come back to DH and retire (long-term deal) with the Sox at a lower payroll number considering his age. Maybe defer some of the salary, other teams do this to keep their iconic players...

If that doesn't happen, then Paul or Dunn are signed for 1B, Quentin should DH to keep him healthier and the Sox should deal a starter to get a good young RF.

What shouldn't be on the table is Kenny and Jerry cheaping out yet again and going the kid route. It didn't work in 2006 or 2009, so why would it work in 2011?

Lip Man 1
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Two words for everyone: Adam LaRoche. 25 home runs, 100 RBI's, left handed hitter, good glove man, will cost far, far less than Adam Dunn.

Lip

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Two words for everyone: Adam LaRoche. 25 home runs, 100 RBI's, left handed hitter, good glove man, will cost far, far less than Adam Dunn.

Lip

Two words: National League.

wulfy
11-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Lip

Agree - LaRoche is a much more realistic option considering payroll flexibililty.

And can someone explain to me why Dunn would sign a two year deal when there are at least 6 teams competiting for his services?

asindc
11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Agree - LaRoche is a much more realistic option considering payroll flexibililty.

And can someone explain to me why Dunn would sign a two year deal when there are at least 6 teams competiting for his services?

He wouldn't, which is one of the reasons why the Nats did not lock him up before now.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Only one issue with this idea: Dunn doesn't want to DH and the Sox management/coaching staff don't want a young player like Viciedo to DH.

I'd rather see the Sox sign Dunn and try and convince Paul to come back to DH and retire (long-term deal) with the Sox at a lower payroll number considering his age. Maybe defer some of the salary, other teams do this to keep their iconic players...

If that doesn't happen, then Paul or Dunn are signed for 1B, Quentin should DH to keep him healthier and the Sox should deal a starter to get a good young RF.

What shouldn't be on the table is Kenny and Jerry cheaping out yet again and going the kid route. It didn't work in 2006 or 2009, so why would it work in 2011?

Viciedo would get most of his starts at 1B in the scenario, with only a few at DH. I don't think that will kill him. If Dunn wants to play into his mid-30's, he is going to need to be a DH. Plain and simple. I have a really hard time believing an NL team would sign him for more than two or maybe three years. He's brutal at every position he can "play" in the field and could easily become a terrible contract. And Russ, you have Konerko and Dunn on the same roster and you start Dunn at 1B? Why? To keep the princess happy? That's doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Wulfy:

It might take more than 2 and an option, but I doubt any NL team will offer him much more than a two or three year deal. I guess we'll see.

khan
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
But... But... Edwin Jackson is BETTER than Daniel Hudson! And... And... He was the BETTER choice to help win the 2010 World Series!

Why are you whining and complaining? Anyone who doubts Edwin Jackson is whining and complaining! After all, Coop fixed 'em! And... And.... $8.5M is a FAIR PRICE for Jackson. He could be the best pitcher on the team this year! He's a HARD THROWER with a POWER ARM!

Remember: In Kenny WE TRUST! Since he's done better than the ****ty GM's from years ago, HOW DARE YOU doubt him? And... And... In Ozzie WE TRUST! These two guys NEVER make a mistake! So DON'T EVER QUESTION THEM!!!

2005, BABY!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! 2005!!!!!!!!

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 10:29 AM
But... But... Edwin Jackson is BETTER than Daniel Hudson! And... And... He was the BETTER choice to help win the 2010 World Series!

Why are you whining and complaining? Anyone who doubts Edwin Jackson is whining and complaining! After all, Coop fixed 'em! And... And.... $8.5M is a FAIR PRICE for Jackson. He could be the best pitcher on the team this year! He's a HARD THROWER with a POWER ARM!

Remember: In Kenny WE TRUST! Since he's done better than the ****ty GM's from years ago, HOW DARE YOU doubt him? And... And... In Ozzie WE TRUST! These two guys NEVER make a mistake! So DON'T EVER QUESTION THEM!!!

2005, BABY!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! 2005!!!!!!!!

Cool story, bro. :rolleyes:

khan
11-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Cool story, bro. :rolleyes:

Not only THAT, but since $8.5M is a fair price for Jackson, let's keep HIM, and cut John Dank's sorry ass!! Let's try to trade away Mark Buehrle to build around Edwin Jackson!! After all, St Louis is BEGGING to give us their entire organization for Mark Buehrle. And John Danks can't carry Edwin Jackson's jock, since Edwin Jackson gets STRIKEOUTS!!

I mean, 75 IP is ALL YOU NEED to PROVE that Edwin Jackson is better than THOSE two bust-outs!!!

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Two words: National League.

C'mon now. The Sox could do plenty worse than LaRoche. He's no Adam Dunn, but he's no Mark Kotsay either.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Not only THAT, but since $8.5M is a fair price for Jackson, let's keep HIM, and cut John Dank's sorry ass!! Let's try to trade away Mark Buehrle to build around Edwin Jackson!! After all, St Louis is BEGGING to give us their entire organization for Mark Buehrle.

I mean, 75 IP is ALL YOU NEED to PROVE that Edwin Jackson is better than THOSE two bust-outs!!!

Some recent articles have hinted that Kenny might be looking to move EJ.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Not only THAT, but since $8.5M is a fair price for Jackson, let's keep HIM, and cut John Dank's sorry ass!! Let's try to trade away Mark Buehrle to build around Edwin Jackson!! After all, St Louis is BEGGING to give us their entire organization for Mark Buehrle. And John Danks can't carry Edwin Jackson's jock, since Edwin Jackson gets STRIKEOUTS!!

I don't even think Buehrle or Danks were mentioned in this entire thread. Or really even Jackson, minus a small side comment. Go talk about it in an appropriate thread.

khan
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Some recent articles have hinted that Kenny might be looking to move EJ.

No, you're WRONG! Coop fixed 'em! Where's your proof? Where's your link? We would OF heard of such a thing!!!

Edwin Jackson is the SINGLE BEST PICKUP in all of KW's career!

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!!

slavko
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Belle was a Long Time Ago, true. Still, that's not never.

khan
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't even think Buehrle or Danks were mentioned in this entire thread. Or really even Jackson, minus a small side comment. Go talk about it in an appropriate thread.

I'm just having a little fun and merely parroting what others have told me on these boards.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
No, you're WRONG! Coop fixed 'em!

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!!

I'm not entirely sure KW would get a decent return currently. I think I'd rather Kenny hold on to him in hopes of him reaching Type A status after the season when he inevitably walks. Hell, I'd be happy with Type B compensation.

khan
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not entirely sure KW would get a decent return currently. I think I'd rather Kenny hold on to him in hopes of him reaching Type A status after the season when he inevitably walks. Hell, I'd be happy with Type B compensation.

I can agree to this. But, IMO, you'd have to punt the 2011 season, due to an inability to fix gaping holes in the roster because of financial constraints.

At the same time, as I've mentioned in the past, I don't trust the SOX to scout/draft/sign the right types of players with the compensatory picks. [We're still waiting on the Phegley-types to emerge, for example.]

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
No, you're WRONG! Coop fixed 'em! Where's your proof? Where's your link? We would OF heard of such a thing!!!

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!!'em is a contraction of them. There's only one pitcher you're talking about there.

Are you ever going to get tired of the Jackson tirade?

Domeshot17
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM

I wasn't complaining at all, I was stating that I think going the rebuild route is dumb when you have 1 more year of a rotation with great potential and when you don't have a good minor league system at all. I have no idea what Kenny will do.

I also don't get excited for Free Agency. We generally are not major players. I can't remember 1 premier free agent Kenny has signed. But I can name 10 lightning in the bottle types he has went after. Hawpe would seem like that type of move.

khan
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
'em is a contraction of them. There's only one pitcher you're talking about there.

Are you ever going to get tired of the Jackson tirade?
Do I need the teal? Really?

Again, I'm merely parroting what others have posted here. [As an aside, I'm surprised that you also didn't mention the "would of" instead of the correct "would have," which I put in as a second grammatical joke.]

dickallen15
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I wasn't complaining at all, I was stating that I think going the rebuild route is dumb when you have 1 more year of a rotation with great potential and when you don't have a good minor league system at all. I have no idea what Kenny will do.

I also don't get excited for Free Agency. We generally are not major players. I can't remember 1 premier free agent Kenny has signed. But I can name 10 lightning in the bottle types he has went after. Hawpe would seem like that type of move.

The Sox haven't signed another teams' free agent for more than $20 million total since 1996.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 10:52 AM

Again, I'm merely parroting what others have posted here. [As an aside, I'm surprised that you also didn't mention the "would of" instead of the correct "would have," which I put in as a second grammatical joke.]

I think you make really good points about how you feel about the team, but to continue to beat this drum and doing it in the way you are doing it will really make people just skip over your posts.

And that's coming from someone on your "side."

PennStater98r
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I would rather re sign Paulie for 2 years than sign Dunn for two years..

I agree with this - though I'd rather land Dunn and Paulie. Dunn would be a great DH.

russ99
11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Viciedo would get most of his starts at 1B in the scenario, with only a few at DH. I don't think that will kill him. If Dunn wants to play into his mid-30's, he is going to need to be a DH. Plain and simple. I have a really hard time believing an NL team would sign him for more than two or maybe three years. He's brutal at every position he can "play" in the field and could easily become a terrible contract. And Russ, you have Konerko and Dunn on the same roster and you start Dunn at 1B? Why? To keep the princess happy? That's doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Wulfy:

It might take more than 2 and an option, but I doubt any NL team will offer him much more than a two or three year deal. I guess we'll see.

Dunn's a free agent, and in demand due to his hitting and OBP from the left side, which is in low supply around the league. He can demand anything he wants.

Call him a princess, but he's not signing anywhere to DH, no matter how much cash is thrown at him and how much obvious sense it makes overall.

Some guys just plain want to play the field to stay in the game.

spawn
11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with this - though I'd rather land Dunn and Paulie. Dunn would be a great DH.
1. Not gonna happen.

2. It's been said many times on this board that Dunn doesn't want to be a DH.

beasly213
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
1. Not gonna happen.

2. It's been said many times on this board that Dunn doesn't want to be a DH.

Dunn is in for a rude awakening if he thinks some team is going to give him a boatload of money to be awful in the field.

Ken Rosenthal was on the score last week and re hashed that point.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Dunn's a free agent, and in demand due to his hitting and OBP from the left side, which is in low supply around the league. He can demand anything he wants.

Call him a princess, but he's not signing anywhere to DH, no matter how much cash is thrown at him and how much obvious sense it makes overall.

Some guys just plain want to play the field to stay in the game.

First off, you didn't answer the question. If you have Paulie and Dunn on the same team, you start Dunn at 1B just because that what he wants? I can guarantee you a) they wont both be on the same team, especially the Sox and b) no manager would start Dunn over Paulie at 1B. None.

Also, I don't think it is as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Sure, Dunn has said he doesn't like the idea of DHing and that he would rather play the field. Good, great, fine. Any logical agent would tell Dunn to say that. His value diminishes if he says "ill be a DH"...he is really no longer in the drivers seat at that point. He will be a DH by 2012 or 2013, if not 2011.

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 12:35 PM

2005, BABY!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! 2005!!!!!!!!Say hi to Richard for Me, Carl

Sockinchisox
11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Looks like Dunn is heading to the Tigers...

http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248)

While it still isn't official, I wonder if they go hard for V-Mart next. They have much to spend.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248)

Where he would DH....at least most of the time.

However, MLBtraderumors speculates that he could start in LF for the Tigers. If this is the case, I am now in favor of the Tigers signing him. That would be comical to watch.

JermaineDye05
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Doesn't surprise me.

I was predicting the kitties would swoop in and grab him at the trading deadline this past season.

JermaineDye05
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Heyman saying Dunn's not close with anyone.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/4977441739116544

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/262579268/sherman3_normal.jpg
Joelsherman1 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1) Joel Sherman
Dunn doesn't want to DH, but recognizes $$ will not be there if he markets self only as position player in NL
3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1/status/4978991752548353)
But I thought Dunn was adamant about not DHing!!!

TheOldRoman
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Say hi to Richard for Me, CarlThat makes sense. I was wondering which formerly banned poster he was.

soltrain21
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
That makes sense. I was wondering which formerly banned poster he was.

Aw man. I want to be "in the know."

Ex-Chicagoan
11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Dunn is in for a rude awakening if he thinks some team is going to give him a boatload of money to be awful in the field.

The Tigers like to do that....

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/11/tigers_reportedly_in_serious_t.html

Aargh. I am late to the party on this one.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Again, I'm merely parroting what others have posted here. [As an aside, I'm surprised that you also didn't mention the "would of" instead of the correct "would have," which I put in as a second grammatical joke.]The fact that you capitalized OF told me that you put it in there on purpose, so I didn't comment. Otherwise I probably would have in that situation.

asindc
11-17-2010, 04:23 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/status/4967429419573248

Where he would DH....at least most of the time.

However, MLBtraderumors speculates that he could start in LF for the Tigers. If this is the case, I am now in favor of the Tigers signing him. That would be comical to watch.

Actually, if Dunn was Detroit's full time LF in that spacious OF, he might help the Sox win more games than if he signed with the Sox to be a 1B/DH.:tongue:

Foulke You
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
But I thought Dunn was adamant about not DHing!!!
I think Adam Dunn is adamant about getting paid huge piles of money. It appears the Tigers are the team that is most willing to do that. I can't say I'm surprised if Dunn lands in Detroit. The Tigers worried me most this offseason because of all the extra cash they have to spend.

Hitmen77
11-18-2010, 07:32 AM
I think Adam Dunn is adamant about getting paid huge piles of money. It appears the Tigers are the team that is most willing to do that. I can't say I'm surprised if Dunn lands in Detroit. The Tigers worried me most this offseason because of all the extra cash they have to spend.

Ding ding ding!!!!!! We have a winner.

In the end, it's all about money. Somehow, I think Dunn will find it in his heart to like DHing if the Tigers give him the most amount of money.

JermaineDye05
11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
No updates on teams inquiring about Dunn, but his asking price has been revealed:

4 years/ $60 million

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/dunn-seeks-four-years-60mm.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

beasly213
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
No updates on teams inquiring about Dunn, but his asking price has been revealed:

4 years/ $60 million

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/dunn-seeks-four-years-60mm.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Pass Pass Pass Pass and Pass again.

NLaloosh
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM

4 years/ $60 million

Well, the Sox could pay him that OR they could pay a guy that's a better hitter, much better fielder and better teammate who is only 3 years older but has lots of playoff experience compared Dunn's none, much less money. Bring back Paulie.

asindc
11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, the Sox could pay him that OR they could pay a guy that's a better hitter, much better fielder and better teammate who is only 3 years older but has lots of playoff experience compared Dunn's none, much less money. Bring back Paulie.

I agree. While I don't think either player is worth that money, if the Sox are going to pay it I rather that they paid it to Konerko. Dunn, learn how to play the entire game before asking for that much money.

soltrain21
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree. While I don't think either player is worth that money, if the Sox are going to pay it I rather that they paid it to Konerko. Dunn, learn how to play the entire game before asking for that much money.

So does that mean pitchers shouldn't make that much money?

Foulke You
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Dunn, learn how to play the entire game before asking for that much money.
With the glut of 1B/DH types out there in free agency, I don't see Dunn getting that much from anybody but you never know. Just because this is his asking price, doesn't mean he is going to get it. 4 years $60 million contract demand is likely the main reason he remains unsigned.

CPditka
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
It will be an interesting DH situation w/ Vmart and Dunn on the same team...I guess they dont value Defense too much.

russ99
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Paulie was paid $12M last year and he wants a raise.

Sorry, but I'd prefer the younger (3 years and 6 months younger), less injured and less streaky left handed OBP maching for a similar asking price.

The only issue with Dunn is his defense (-8 RS to Konerko's -17 in Bill James Handbook) and preference to not DH, which he's reportedly backing off of a little in some rumors.

soltrain21
11-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Sorry, but I'd prefer the younger (3 years and 6 months younger), less injured and less streaky left handed OBP maching for a similar asking price.

The only issue with Dunn is his defense (-8 RS to Konerko's -17 in Bill James Handbook) and preference to not DH, which he's reportedly backing off of a little in some rumors.

Yep. Give me Dunn.

LoveYourSuit
11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Dunn has been putting up 2010 Paulie numbers for his entire career. Being LH is a plus. For the same money, take Dunn. Not even a contest.

Memo to the 3 other IFs, just learn to make better throws to first base. Stop expecting the 1B to bail you out. That's the way it should be.

asindc
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Dunn has been putting up 2010 Paulie numbers for his entire career. Being LH is a plus. For the same money, take Dunn. Not even a contest.

Memo to the 3 other IFs, just learn to make better throws to first base. Stop expecting the 1B to bail you out. That's the way it should be.

You obviously have not watched Dunn play 1B the last two years. I would seriously rather have Teahen play 3B than Dunn play 1B. Yes, it's that bad.

Brian26
11-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Russ- I'm really late in posting this, but I meant to ask why you think Jerry went cheap in 2006. That's the season they signed all of the starting pitchers to new contracts and brought in Thome with some deferred money. Payroll skyrocketed that year.

The only two seasons the Sox "went cheap", IMHO, in the Kenny era were 2009 and the first half of 2004. After '03, there was much ado if I recall about Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett being let go, along with Colon's decline of the Sox contract offer. It is comical to consider how upset some people were at that year's Soxfest.

Domeshot17
11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Russ- I'm really late in posting this, but I meant to ask why you think Jerry went cheap in 2006. That's the season they signed all of the starting pitchers to new contracts and brought in Thome with some deferred money. Payroll skyrocketed that year.

The only two seasons the Sox "went cheap", IMHO, in the Kenny era were 2009 and the first half of 2004. After '03, there was much ado if I recall about Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett being let go, along with Colon's decline of the Sox contract offer. It is comical to consider how upset some people were at that year's Soxfest.

I am not trying to speak for Russ, I am going to GUESS he meant 2007

russ99
11-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I am not trying to speak for Russ, I am going to GUESS he meant 2007

Yep 2007. Sorry.

Owens, Richar, Anderson, Andy Gonzalez, Masset, Sweeney, etc.

Brian26
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Yep 2007. Sorry.

Well, to Kenny's defense, they started the season with Iguchi at 2B, Erstad in CF, Pods in LF, Crede at 3B, etc.

The names you mentioned were only called up after the injuries happened and the team quickly fell out of contention

WhiteSox5187
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Yep 2007. Sorry.

Well, even that year those guys were plugged in after seemingly everyone else went down. Owens was up in June, Anderson broke his shoulder early on and Richar wasn't even on the team at the start of the year.

Bobby Thigpen
11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
You obviously have not watched Dunn play 1B the last two years. I would seriously rather have Teahen play 3B than Dunn play 1B. Yes, it's that bad.
Most of the people saying they want him have probably never seen him play. They just look at his stats and the fact that he doesn't currently play for the Sox and assume he must be better.

DirtySox
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Most of the people saying they want him have probably never seen him play. They just look at his stats and the fact that he doesn't currently play for the Sox and assume he must be better.

His bat certainly plays better.

I don't want him anywhere near 1B or RF/LF though.

soltrain21
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Yes. That's exactly it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bobby Thigpen
11-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Yes. That's exactly it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm sorry, but statements like that are hard to to take real seriously.

And exactly how many times have you seen him play?

soltrain21
12-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry, but statements like that are hard to to take real seriously.

And exactly how many times have you seen him play?

When did I ever say I wanted him to touch the field of play as a defensive player?

How many times have you watched the American League? There is a position called the designated hitter that only hits. He doesn't have to play the field at all! It's amazing.

As for how many times I've seen him play. Plenty. I watch him throw touchdowns to his goalie all the time.

Bobby Thigpen
12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
When did I ever say I wanted him to touch the field of play as a defensive player?

How many times have you watched the American League? There is a position called the designated hitter that only hits. He doesn't have to play the field at all! It's amazing.

As for how many times I've seen him play. Plenty. I watch him throw touchdowns to his goalie all the time.
How many times does Dunn have to repeat he doesn't want to do this before Sox fans keep trying to convince themselves that he will just for them?

doublem23
12-01-2010, 07:59 AM
How many times does Dunn have to repeat he doesn't want to do this before Sox fans keep trying to convince themselves that he will just for them?

I definitely believe everything I read in the papers from athletes, too. They never lie!

asindc
12-01-2010, 08:05 AM
I definitely believe everything I read in the papers from athletes, too. They never lie!

Dunn has been quite consistent and very adamant throughout his career about not wanting to primarily DH. Now I don't think for a second that it is anything other than a negotiating ploy, and if he was paid 1B/DH/OF money to only DH that he would not take it, but the question is what team would pay him like that to only DH?

russ99
12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I think people have an inflated view of Konerko's defense because of a few spectacular plays and digging the ball out of the dirt.

Konerko at 1B: 1159 chances, 1069 putouts, 83 assists, 7 errors, RF/G 9.22, Total zone -7, Runs saved -17

Dunn at 1B: 1309 chances, 1203 putouts, 93 assists, 13 errors, RF/G 8.47, Total zone -3, Runs saved -8

I don't see a whole lot of difference here.

dickallen15
12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I think people have an inflated view of Konerko's defense because of a few spectacular plays and digging the ball out of the dirt.

Konerko at 1B: 1159 chances, 1069 putouts, 83 assists, 7 errors, RF/G 9.22, Total zone -7, Runs saved -17

Dunn at 1B: 1309 chances, 1203 putouts, 93 assists, 13 errors, RF/G 8.47, Total zone -3, Runs saved -8

If the Sox signed Dunn and you saw him trying to scoop Ramirez's throws out of the dirt, you would change your mind. Extra outs seem to add up to extra runs for the opposition more often than not with the White Sox.

doublem23
12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
If the Sox signed Dunn and you saw him trying to scoop Ramirez's throws out of the dirt, you would change your mind. Extra outs seem to add up to extra runs for the opposition more often than not with the White Sox.

I think that's particularly true because Don Cooper's style of picthing seems to be the mantra of "pitch to contact, pitch to contact, etc." The Sox have never gotten themselves all worked up over high strikeout guys and have preferred guys like Buehrle, Danks, Garland, etc. over the last few years who make opposing teams put the ball in play and let the defense do the work. Not a good motto to have when you're giving teams 4-5 outs per inning.

As for the defensive stats russ quoted, do they take into account things like scooping balls out of dirt? Or is it solely rely on a players' range? Range is, of course, extremely important to SS or CF but by and large useless to 1B. Of course, it's nice if you have a guy like Teixeira, who can scoop balls out of the dirt with the best of them and have tremendous range at 1B but ultimately the art of defense at 1B is about saving your teammates errors by picking balls out of the ground. Of course, you can whine and cry and say, the SS shouldn't throw the ball in the dirt, but that's completely unrealistic, especially with a dynamic SS like Alexei who can get to ball 95% of SS in the league can't get to. When you're making plays 15 feet to your right, it's hard to set up and make a clean, crisp throw to 1B. Sometimes, that balls going to wind up high or low, it's on your 1B to clean up the mess.

So as long as I don't know that, I'll take a rain check on using that stat to say Konerko's as good at 1B as Dunn. If anything, I'd say that indicts Dunn even more. We all know Paul's never had great range at 1B, so if Dunn's got the same 0 range on the field, he'd better be able to pick balls out of the dirt like a Gold Glover (like Paulie can), but everything I have read about his defensive prowess makes me believe that he cannot.

russ99
12-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I think that's particularly true because Don Cooper's style of picthing seems to be the mantra of "pitch to contact, pitch to contact, etc." The Sox have never gotten themselves all worked up over high strikeout guys and have preferred guys like Buehrle, Danks, Garland, etc. over the last few years who make opposing teams put the ball in play and let the defense do the work. Not a good motto to have when you're giving teams 4-5 outs per inning.

As for the defensive stats russ quoted, do they take into account things like scooping balls out of dirt? Or is it solely rely on a players' range? Range is, of course, extremely important to SS or CF but by and large useless to 1B. Of course, it's nice if you have a guy like Teixeira, who can scoop balls out of the dirt with the best of them and have tremendous range at 1B but ultimately the art of defense at 1B is about saving your teammates errors by picking balls out of the ground. Of course, you can whine and cry and say, the SS shouldn't throw the ball in the dirt, but that's completely unrealistic, especially with a dynamic SS like Alexei who can get to ball 95% of SS in the league can't get to. When you're making plays 15 feet to your right, it's hard to set up and make a clean, crisp throw to 1B. Sometimes, that balls going to wind up high or low, it's on your 1B to clean up the mess.

So as long as I don't know that, I'll take a rain check on using that stat to say Konerko's as good at 1B as Dunn. If anything, I'd say that indicts Dunn even more. We all know Paul's never had great range at 1B, so if Dunn's got the same 0 range on the field, he'd better be able to pick balls out of the dirt like a Gold Glover (like Paulie can), but everything I have read about his defensive prowess makes me believe that he cannot.

One caveat, defense is the most difficult thing to track with numbers. Also, Paul's defensive skills have declined with age, so you can assume Dunn's may as well over the next 3 years.

It's possible the willingness to DH may weigh heavily on teams that are interested in both Konerko and Dunn.

Bobby Thigpen
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Why would you lie about that? What benefit would there be in it for him?

doublem23
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Why would you lie about that? What benefit would there be in it for him?

I'm not saying he's outright lying, I'm just pretty sure that if the Sox (or any other AL team) offered him a lot more money than any NL team did, he'd forget his commitment to play defense faster than he can sign his name at the "X." I have no doubt Adam Dunn prefers to play defense, the problem is, he is terrible at it. So that makes his value infinitely higher to American League teams who can hide his terrible glove on the bench, than National League teams who will get punished by having him in the field.

Of course, all it takes is one drunken NL GM to spoil the whole thing, I just think its ridiculous as to how seriously some people take Dunn's comments; as if he'd simply refuse to be an everyday DH in the AL and would opt to play for the Joliet Jackhammers so he could be a 1st baseman. Money talks, and he's basically proven himself worthless at LF and 1B, the two least challenging defensive positions in the game. He's on the wrong side of 30. Sooner or later he's going to have to come to the realization that if he wants to keep earning millions of dollars for pounding the snot out of baseballs, he's going to have to suck it up and DH.

NLaloosh
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Defense is FAR FAR from the only issue with Dunn.

kittle42
12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Dunn to DH and occasional 1B; Derrek Lee to 1B and occasional DH. Problem solved.

russ99
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Defense is FAR FAR from the only issue with Dunn.

Comparatively speaking. Nobody's going to confuse Adam Dunn with Albert Pujols.

Sargeant79
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Dunn to DH and occasional 1B; Derrek Lee to 1B and occasional DH. Problem solved.

I like this plan.

kittle42
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I like this plan.

Thanks. It makes very good sense. Lee will likely come relatively cheap. Dunn is worth what Konerko is, at least. Bye, bye, Paulie - two holes filled.

DirtySox
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
A's met with Dunn yesterday. Maybe TDog will weigh in, but it seems that the Athletics are really intent on bringing in a power bat this offseason.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/athletics/detail?entry_id=78100

VMSNS
12-01-2010, 01:40 PM
A's met with Dunn yesterday. Maybe TDog will weigh in, but it seems that the Athletics are really intent on bringing in a power bat this offseason.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/athletics/detail?entry_id=78100

They also met with Berkman yesterday. It appears as if Lance is there main "realistic" target, with Dunn being more of a pipe dream.

beasly213
12-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Considering his asking price..who are the real contenders for Dunn?

DirtySox
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland ponies up. They desperately need a legit slugger and seem to be willing to spend this offseason. They had/have significant money on the table for Beltre as well.

soltrain21
12-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland ponies up. They desperately need a legit slugger and seem to be willing to spend this offseason. They had/have significant money on the table for Beltre as well.

We just as desperately need a legit slugger.

DirtySox
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
We just as desperately need a legit slugger.

Indeed. I just wouldn't count out Oakland as suitors yet.

Foulke You
12-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I believe Dunn's asking price is going to fall. Last time he was a free agent, the best deal he could get was 2 years, $20 million from the Nationals. What has changed about Dunn since then other than he is 2 years older now? GMs will likely still peg him as a $10-$12 million per year guy.

JermaineDye05
12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
RT @susanslusser (http://twitter.com/susanslusser) To repeat, the #Athletics (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Athletics) did NOT meet with Dunn yesterday. Berkman is currently the team's primary (DH) target. 6 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/10085156052271105) via web Retweeted by 1 person
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)

DickAllen72
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

You would if you watched them both play.

Actually those numbers make the case that defensive metrics are not a very accurate way of judging a player's defensive performance.

VMSNS
12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
You would if you watched them both play.

Actually those numbers make the case that defensive metrics are not a very accurate way of judging a player's defensive performance.

IIRC, defensive stats say that Konerko is the worst 1B in the game. They also say that Alfonso Soriano is a good defender. Defensive stats have a long way to go, and are quite frankly, crap.

KMcMahon817
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
IIRC, defensive stats say that Konerko is the worst 1B in the game. They also say that Alfonso Soriano is a good defender. Defensive stats have a long way to go, and are quite frankly, crap.

I hope Grebeck reads that.

kittle42
12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I hope Grebeck reads that.

I don't think Grebeck is a huge proponent of most if not all fielding stats.

Fielding stats are mostly crap.

Sockinchisox
12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
And here we go.

Sox have jumped in on Dunn, Kenny's interest is serious.

http://twitter.com/#!/jcrasnick/status/10385842182823937

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
And here we go.

I sure hope so!

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
And here we go.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z2/DR4K3-/Forum%20Stuff/DoWantPuppeh.png

cws05champ
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
And here we go.

I like Dunn and he would be a nice bat to have, but I would like to see the Sox go after someone like Adam LaRoche for several reasons:

1) He is only a type B free Agent, and would not cost us our 1st round draft pick in a strong 2011 draft like Dunn would.
2) He plays good defense and will still give you some power from the left side. He has hit 25HR for three consecutive years and had at least 32 doubles every year.
3) He would probably cost just bit more than half of what Dunn is asking and we could use that money to spend on the BP (Putz or Soriano) or a good DH this time (Vlad, Matsui, Berkman etc)

Lip Man 1
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree 100% on going after LaRoche. I was asking Jeff Torborg about this...he knows the family since Adam's father, Dave, was one of his coaches with the Sox. Torborg said the only 'negative' to LaRoche is that he usually starts the season very slow and turns it on in the second half.

Lip

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I like Dunn and he would be a nice bat to have, but I would like to see the Sox go after someone like Adam LaRoche for several reasons:

1) He is only a type B free Agent, and would not cost us our 1st round draft pick in a strong 2011 draft like Dunn would.
2) He plays good defense and will still give you some power from the left side. He has hit 25HR for three consecutive years and had at least 32 doubles every year.
3) He would probably cost just bit more than half of what Dunn is asking and we could use that money to spend on the BP (Putz or Soriano) or a good DH this time (Vlad, Matsui, Berkman etc)

Good post. It's pretty much how I feel as well.

I would love a Dunn signing if there is enough money to throw around. Will throwing gobs of cash at Dunn hinder Kenny in filling out the bullpen, signing a decent catcher, and finding a 1B? (assuming Dunn DH's primarily)

It obviously remains to be seen, but blowing the majority of your payroll flexibility on one player might not work out so well.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I have no problem getting Dunn, but if the Sox are foolish enough to put him at first base, it's going to be ugly.

Lillian
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
If Dunn is signed, the Sox would still need to sign at least one more regular position player to play first base, as most of us agree that Dunn would be a defensive liability. That additional signing can't very well be a weak offensive player, as that is a position for a productive hitter.
I don't see where the money would come from to sign a first baseman, Dunn to D.H., a catcher, and at least 2 bull pen arms.

Why not target a respectable hitter to play first, and a less expensive left handed hitting option to D.H?

Something like Derrek Lee and Godzilla, or A. LaRoche, as "cws05champ" suggests, makes more sense to me.

What am I missing?

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
I have no problem getting Dunn, but if the Sox are foolish enough to put him at first base, it's going to be ugly.

Yeah, but his bat in the Cell, Comerica, Target Field, would be just beautiful.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, but his bat in the Cell, Comerica, Target Field, would be just beautiful.

Yea, that's why they should put him at DH and sign someone else to play 1B. My pipe dream is that they would sign both Dunn and Konerko, but that isn't going to happen.

Luke
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM

I feel the same way about LaRoche. I'd love Dunn's bat, but I think LaRoche would leave a lot more flexibility for additional moves.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Probably doesn't deserve its own thread considering the source:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1154671622/IMG_0047_15-21-11_normal.jpg
Oneyguillen (http://twitter.com/#%21/Oneyguillen) Oney Guillen
My sources r telling me that sox signed a big name. That organization can't keep any secrets. Leaks all over the place
2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Oneyguillen/status/10420281768153088)

hi im skot
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM

LOL at "my sources".

asindc
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM

LOL at "That organization can't keep any secrets."

gr8mexico
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Carl Crawford :tongue:

doublem23
12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Probably just referring to Akinori Iwamura. Dude's name's got like 8 syllables, THAT'S HUGE.

Boondock Saint
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, Oney Guillen is going to be the first person to know this stuff. I can almost imagine someone in the Sox front office thinking to himself, "This is huge news! I gotta call Oney..."

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
big bat and very slow cant play D
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Oneyguillen/status/10425584031113216)

hi im skot
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
.http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1154671622/IMG_0047_15-21-11_normal.jpg
big bat and very slow cant play D
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Oneyguillen/status/10425584031113216)

Welcome back, Jim Thome.

gr8mexico
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah, Oney Guillen is going to be the first person to know this stuff. I can almost imagine someone in the Sox front office thinking to himself, "This is huge news! I gotta call Oney..."
Well I'm sure his big mouth father said something to him

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
all speculation on my part nothing is concrete
2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Oneyguillen/status/10428483603800064)
Sup backpedal.

aryzner
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome back, Jim Thome.

LOL this made me laugh pretty good.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Sup backpedal.
This is why I ignore all rumors and speculation until I see the actual "I'm glad to be a member of the White Sox" press conference.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
This is why I ignore all rumors and speculation until I see the actual "I'm glad to be a member of the White Sox" press conference.

Speculation is fun though! :bandance:

Boondock Saint
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm sure he was just saying it so that if the Sox do sign him, he can say "I told you so, I knew about it before everyone else", then proceed to talk some more about how he was "raised in the business".

The Immigrant
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Is it irresponsible to speculate? It's irresponsible not to!

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Is it irresponsible to speculate? It's irresponsible not to!
True. I'm tired of the roller coaster it creates. I keep getting reminded of how I said Torii Hunter was signed, sealed and delivered to us.......

hi im skot
12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Sup backpedal.

God, he's such a douche.

NLaloosh
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
And here we go.

This sounds exactly like the last 20 top tier free agents the Sox jumped in on. As long as Dunn is willing to take less money to play with the Sox he might wind up here.

cards press box
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
And now there is this (http://twitter.com/susanslusser/statuses/10429933755039744). If this is true, what moves might be next?

dickallen15
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
And now there is this (http://twitter.com/susanslusser/statuses/10429933755039744). If this is true, what moves might be next?
Retiring #14.

Sargeant79
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM

For those of us that twitter is blocked at work, what does the link say?

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM

That Oakland isn't in play and that she thinks the White Sox end up with Dunn.

asindc
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM

You beat me to it.

spawn
12-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Who is Susan Slusser?

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Who is Susan Slusser?

An A's beat writer.

doublem23
12-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Who is Susan Slusser?

I don't know, but she has to be more reputable than Oney. :bandance:

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Who is Susan Slusser?
Oney's alias.

spawn
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
God, he's such a douche.

My thoughts exactly.

spawn
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
An A's beat writer.
Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't know, but she has to be more reputable than Oney. :bandance:
Well, that's really not saying much, is it? :tongue:
Oney's alias.
:rolling:

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe Susan reading Oney's twitter just like us.

Since it's Ozzie's kid, she might feel it's a good source.

LITTLE NELL
12-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I wonder what this talk does to PKs mindset. If this is true, PK has to say to himself that the Sox never really wanted to re-sign me. What happens if we don't wind up with Dunn? Will PK give the Sox another thought knowing that they really don't want him.
I'm still a little perplexed that PK and the Sox did not do something earlier in the year unless there is something going on that we don't know about.

spawn
12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
But wait...I though Dunn wanted to play for the Cubs? That's what Bruce Levine was saying about a month ago. :redneck

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder what this talk does to PKs mindset. If this is true, PK has to say to himself that the Sox never really wanted to re-sign me. What happens if we don't wind up with Dunn? Will PK give the Sox another thought knowing that they really don't want him.
I'm still a little perplexed that PK and the Sox did not do something earlier in the year unless there is something going on that we don't know about.

Well, maybe they are pretty sure Konerko wants to leave by saying, "Even if the Sox offer more money I might go elsewhere."

Marqhead
12-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Or maybe PK thinks, "hey look at who the Sox just signed, this team is committed to winning" and he decides to re-sign here. :shrug:

LITTLE NELL
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, maybe they are pretty sure Konerko wants to leave by saying, "Even if the Sox offer more money I might go elsewhere."

Good point, but why? I think something went on in the clubhouse this summer that did not sit well with PK. This guy is adored by Sox fans and has been a great asset to the Sox and it blows my mind that he may be playing somewhere else. Im amazed that JR sas not stepped in to keep one of the most popular Sox players ever.
Sorry I got off the Dunn topic.

LITTLE NELL
12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Or maybe PK thinks, "hey look at who the Sox just signed, this team is committed to winning" and he decides to re-sign here. :shrug:

Yeah but will the $$$ be there.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe he (and the Sox) are thinking they are both the First Bagger and DH so there is a Big Threat from both sides of the Plate.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman) Jon Heyman
on top of everything else, #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox) are all over adam dunn and hoping to keep paul konerko. lots of balls in air.
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10442702025924608)

Do want both.

LITTLE NELL
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Do want both.

That would make me one happy camper.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
#chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox) appear to be closing in on deal for adam dunn. huge move for them!
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10443347839680512)

hi im skot
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM
on top of everything else, #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox) are all over adam dunn and hoping to keep paul konerko. lots of balls in air.
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10442702025924608)

Do want both.

Holy ****, that'd be nice.

Marqhead
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah but will the $$$ be there.

That's the big question, and I would take both in a heartbeat if that's what the Sox are trying to do.

Appears that way so far, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Make it happen.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:26 PM
We are due for some complaints about base-clogging right?

aryzner
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Man if we got Dunn AND Paulie to re-sign I would be due for some celebratory drinks when both deals are done.

dwitt76
Where will all this money come from if we get both? :scratch:

soltrain21
Man if we got Dunn AND Paulie to re-sign I would be due for some celebratory drinks when both deals are done.

I'd have to think they are trading Floyd if that happens, right?

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd have to think they are trading Floyd if that happens, right?

Or EJ.

aryzner
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd be sad to see Gavin go, but he's much more likely to go than Edwin is.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
IF we get Dunn, maybe he can pull a Jim Thome and recruit Pauly to stay.

asindc
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
We are due for some complaints about base-clogging right?

I doubt it, since Dunn is not a statue like Thome is.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/533041789/kenny_normal.jpg
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/533041789/Kenny_normal.jpg
Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/#%21/Ken_Rosenthal) Ken Rosenthal
#WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23WhiteSox) want answer from Konerko, pursuing Dunn, trade possibilities: http://tinyurl.com/3ageotj #MLB (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLB)
2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Ken_Rosenthal/status/10446339804504064)

Speculation.

Also:
hearing no hideki matsui for #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox). but could be more to come. williams retaining title as baseball's biggest wheeler-dealer
2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10446419580166144)
And:

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1144343763/foxjon_normal.jpg
jonmorosi (http://twitter.com/#%21/jonmorosi) Jon Morosi
Source told me today that #Diamondbacks (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Diamondbacks) were in early stages of talks with Konerko. Could change if #WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23WhiteSox) sign Dunn. #MLB (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLB) #Chicago (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Chicago)
50 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/jonmorosi/status/10446994086567936)

aryzner
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Days like this in the off-season make me so giddy.

LoveYourSuit
Holy ****, that'd be nice.

What an early Christmas that would be for us.

I wouldn't be surprise if Konerko is who is requesting the Sox to make a big splash in order for him to come back next year. He might want to win after all.

soltrain21
Days like this in the off-season make me so giddy.

I'm just glad things are finally starting to happen! I don't want to sit at work and actually work.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Several Sox players are under the belief that not only is Dunn done deal, but PK is close. Seems the demise of JR's checkbook is exaggerated less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/10447421322563584) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php) Retweeted by 2 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Several Sox players are under the belief that not only is Dunn done deal, but PK is close. Seems the demise of JR's checkbook is exaggerated less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/10447421322563584) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php) Retweeted by 2 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)

Please be right for once Joe.

I also love that picture.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Dunn, White Sox closing in on four-year $56MM deal, the LA Times reports. less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/10448396653428738) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Retweeted by 3 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/745581640/MLBTR-main-twittericon0310_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
mlbtraderumors (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
MLB Trade Rumors

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Days like today make me appreciate Kenny Williams as the greatest GM this town has had.

The guy has big balls, massive !!!! :bandance:

hi im skot
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM

http://nick.gladius.org/projects/homer/DancingHomer.gif

Marqhead
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Dunn, White Sox closing in on four-year $56MM deal, the LA Times reports. less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/10448396653428738) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Retweeted by 3 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/745581640/MLBTR-main-twittericon0310_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
mlbtraderumors (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
MLB Trade Rumors

I can dig this.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:43 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_normal.jpg
cst_sox (http://twitter.com/#%21/cst_sox) cst_sox
Sox could announce Dunn deal by tomorrow - physical pending. Cough Adam, cough!
11 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/cst_sox/status/10448849311109120)

The Immigrant
Please don't let this be another kick in the nuts...

JermaineDye05
Sox could announce Dunn deal by tomorrow - physical pending. Cough Adam, cough! half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/10448849311109120) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php) Retweeted by 3 people

hi im skot
Sox could announce Dunn deal by tomorrow - physical pending. Cough Adam, cough! half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/10448849311109120) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php) Retweeted by 3 people

Holy ****.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
dunn deal is basically done, no pun intended. told he got "a bit less" than the $60 mil, 4-yr asking price from #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox)
31 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10449087467884544)

Marqhead
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
If this goes down I'll probably go for those split season tickets I've been waffling on.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The hype/news train needs to slow down while I walk my dog, kthx.

soxinem1
Say hello to Alfonso Soriano, White Sox style!!!

4 yrs, $56 million for what we could get Thome for a fraction of the cost.

hi im skot
If this goes down I'll probably go for those split season tickets I've been waffling on.

Give me Konerko as well and I'll renew my Ozzie Plan.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
rumors swirling all over chicago #cubs (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23cubs) are in on konerko. id be stunned if jerry reinsdorf's favorite player leaves him for cubs
48 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10449502183886848)

Marqhead
Give me Konerko as well and I'll renew my Ozzie Plan.

That's what I meant also. I need both to spring for them.

soltrain21
say hello to alfonso soriano, white sox style!!!

gtfo.

hi im skot

Dunn is playing left field?

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
rumors swirling all over chicago #cubs (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23cubs) are in on konerko. id be stunned if jerry reinsdorf's favorite player leaves him for cubs
48 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/10449502183886848)

No way Uncle Jerry lets that happen.

LoveYourSuit

Seriously :rolleyes:

hi im skot
gtfo.

potw

joebro25
12-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I hope this gets done. It'd be our first real high profile free agent since Albert Belle.

aryzner

Are you saying you'd rather have a 40+ year old Thome over Dunn?

LoveYourSuit
Rongey and Gammons says it's done!

Mercy :)

asindc

I've been one of the biggest critics of Dunn's defense, but if this does happen, I hope KW follows up by signing LaRoche (or PK, if the money is there). Then I'll be a :bandance: camper.

soxinem1
I doubt it, since Dunn is not a statue like Thome is.

Not much faster for $56 million. He will only lumber more with age.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Peter Gammons tweeting the same too.

Stoky44
12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I see no way we have the $ for PK. I hope they do, but getting both these guys I think is very wishful thinking.

Rikirk
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
It will be so cool if we get both Dunn and Konerko.
So did dropping Jenks free up that much cash?

soltrain21
I see no way we have the $ for PK. I hope they do, but getting both these guys I think is very wishful thinking.

One of the pitchers will probably get traded.

DirtySox
I've been one of the biggest critics of Dunn's defense, but if this does happen, I hope KW follows up by signing LaRoche (or PK, if the money is there). Then I'll be a :bandance: camper.

You and me both.

asindc
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Not much faster for $56 million. He will only lumber more with age.

Believe me, he is better across the board. Now whether he's worth 4/56 to primarily DH, well that is a legitimate question, but I'd rather pay Dunn that than pay Thome whatever he will make this year (and whatever he made last year, for that matter).

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Dunn is a great fit offensively for this team, defensively he'd be a disaster. But if (and it seems like a big if) we can keep Konerko AND add Dunn, holy cow! That's quite the middle of the order then! But unless Jerry decides to completely open up the checkbook we would have to trade one of our pitchers and I would suspect that Tyler Flowers would be our starting catcher next year. That's all speculation though which really is probably the most fun part of the off season.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
The Nationals will receive the White Sox 1st round pick (23rd) once/if the deal is official.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Dunn confirmed with #White (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23White) Sox at $56M for 4 yrs. #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB) less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/10451733272596482) via web Retweeted by 2 people
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/533041789/Kenny_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken Rosenthal

CONFIRMATION!

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Time for a thread move?

Marqhead
av8NTy5WkFc

soltrain21
That went from rumor to member of the White Sox in like ten minutes. Awesome.

aryzner
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd like an official team announcement before this thread moves to the clubhouse.

soltrain21
I'd like an official team announcement before this thread moves to the clubhouse.

You got it. I'll call Kenny.

hi im skot
That went from rumor to member of the White Sox in like ten minutes. Awesome.

Oney is patting himself on the back mightily.

12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
WOWzers!

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_normal.jpg
Just spoke to a good source and here is how it went down. Lost out on V-Mart before offer could be made. Called about The Prince ...
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/cst_sox/status/10452092917387265)

.. When there was nothing with Prince trade it was Dunn time. Now, they want PK back in.
30 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/cst_sox/status/10453059809320961)

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1168636600/IMAG0018crop_normal.JPG
CSNChi_Beatnik (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik) Brett Ballantini
Dunn wanted 4/60, took less for #WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23WhiteSox). You better believe he knows Paulie is leaning toward coming back.
51 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik/status/10452426624598016)

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1168636600/IMAG0018crop_normal.JPG
CSNChi_Beatnik (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik) Brett Ballantini
Dunn wanted 4/60, took less for #WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23WhiteSox). You better believe he knows Paulie is leaning toward coming back.
51 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik/status/10452426624598016)

Where the hell are we getting this money?! Dunn and Konerko would be a dream come true!

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Where the hell are we getting this money?! Dunn and Konerko would be a dream come true!

Turns out Jerry and Kenny have a lot of nephews that are good at football.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Conference call in 30 min reports Ranger :bandance:

JermaineDye05
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I think all the people saying that KW never signs a big name can eat crow.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Dunn is a great fit offensively for this team, defensively he'd be a disaster. But if (and it seems like a big if) we can keep Konerko AND add Dunn, holy cow! That's quite the middle of the order then! But unless Jerry decides to completely open up the checkbook we would have to trade one of our pitchers and I would suspect that Tyler Flowers would be our starting catcher next year. That's all speculation though which really is probably the most fun part of the off season.

I am ok with Flowers being our C if Konerko and Dunn are in our lineup.

:bandance:

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

I'd rather we just get our hands on a very very solid defensive catcher.

Harry Potter
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/17/16213/cookie-monster_with_text.jpg

LITTLE NELL
12-02-2010, 04:06 PM

My guess is that if Dunn is a done deal and PK comes back we can say good bye to AJ.

soltrain21
12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I guess is that if Dunn is a done deal and PK comes back we can say good bye to AJ.

I'm okay with that.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I guess is that if Dunn is a done deal and PK comes back we can say good bye to AJ.

A fine tradeoff.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM

I don't want Flowers behind the plate. I am willing to depart with AJ, but Flowers is a catcher in name only.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't want Flowers behind the plate. I am willing to depart with AJ, but Flowers is a catcher in name only.

I don't buy that. Scouting reports have been up and down for him throughout his prospect career. I'm not a scout, so I will wait and see.

guillensdisciple
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z2/DR4K3-/Forum%20Stuff/DoWantPuppeh.png

Thanks for my new profile picture. I am dying of laughter.

spawn
12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Seeing as Dunn is now a member of the Sox pending passing his physical, this thread is "Dunn". Continue the discussing in this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124700) thread.