PDA

View Full Version : White vs. Black Stirrups

SaltyPretzel
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Since we're talking about uniform changes, I was wondering how much support there would be for the Sox to wear actual white socks instead of the black ones.

nsolo
11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd like it.

hi im skot
11-16-2010, 08:36 PM
White sanitaries with black stirrups, no question.

doublem23
11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
They should have done it after 2005. It just would have made too much sense.

LongLiveFisk
11-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, don't the Red Sox wear red socks? :scratch:

SaltyPretzel
11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, don't the Red Sox wear red socks? :scratch:

Wearing white socks when the team is named the White Sox makes too much sense.

Dub25
11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Stirups? Yes, bring them back. Nuff said...

esbrechtel
11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I wish the organization made the players wear stir-ups or at least the fake ones

I wish the MLB was as strict with their uniforms as the NFL is. Sometimes the guys dress so different they don't even like a team...

WhiteSox5187
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd keep the black stirrups but add like white stripes to them like they had in '59 though minus the red stripe.

Streets
11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
White sanitaries with black stirrups, no question.

This.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
White sanitaries with black stirrups, no question.The color of the sanitaries is irrelevant. EVERYBODY wore white sanitaries.

White stirrups with black and silver stripes.

esbrechtel
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
The color of the sanitaries is irrelevant. EVERYBODY wore white sanitaries.

This!

LongLiveFisk
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM

I can live with that. :D:

WhiteSox5187
11-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Technically, not EVERYONE did. Oakland wore (and still wears) gold sanis and even the White Sox wore blue sanitaries back in 1970 I think.

aryzner
11-17-2010, 07:34 AM
We should really raise our stirrup quota 'round here. Is Pierre the only one right now?

Red Barchetta
11-17-2010, 07:53 AM
What's a stirrup?! :tongue:

Since the majority of players sport the baggy pants/flare bottoms look, :kukoo: I don't think we're going to see stirrups on a regular basis again for a long time.

I would love to see the SOX wear simple white socks/without stirrups, similar to the early century "Eight Men Out" uniforms. If the SOX ever decided to ditch their current uniforms, I would love to see the old-school big "S" uniforms with the white socks and black shoes. However, I doubt that will ever happen.

Thome25
11-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I absolutely support this. The reason they are called the White Sox is because during their inception, they actually wore White Sox.

The media and fans would identify teams by distinguishable differences in their uniforms. The White Sox were one of those teams......and I love the fact that this name has stuck throughout the years.

Facebook page for the support of the White Sox going back to actual completely white sox anyone? I'd "like" it.:)

Procol Harum
11-17-2010, 08:27 AM
We should really raise our stirrup quota 'round here. Is Pierre the only one right now?

Amen and amen--the baggy pant/cuffs below the ankle look is horrible. Unfortunately, we have to blame one of our very own for being a major engine behind this disastrous fashion faux pas--the Big Hurt.

Red Barchetta
11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Amen and amen--the baggy pant/cuffs below the ankle look is horrible. Unfortunately, we have to blame one of our very own for being a major engine behind this disastrous fashion faux pas--the Big Hurt.

I could not image the Big Hurt wearing those high/single thread stirrups from the early 80s. Mark Prior looked like he was wearing pantyhose when he wore the blue Cubs socks (not sure if they were stirrups) and the Hurt had bigger legs than Prior. :o:

Thome25
11-17-2010, 08:33 AM

I agree with this as well....I wish someone in Sox management would REQUIRE that ALL players wear their uniform pants as John Rooney used to say "bloused at the knee with their socks up high"

I used to love it when entire teams like the Cleveland Indians in the early/mid 90's would wear their socks up high...

PaleHoser
11-17-2010, 09:06 AM

I love how Juan Pierre wears his uniform. He really looks like a ballplayer.

I'd support going to white socks, but most of the players wear baggy pants so I don't think it would make much of a difference. I couldn't tell you what color Manny Ramirez's shoes were much less his socks.

hi im skot
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kug7vlS4wP1qzf9l3o1_500.jpg

You were saying?

EDIT - WhiteSox5187 beat me to it.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Technically, not EVERYONE did. Oakland wore (and still wears) gold sanis and even the White Sox wore blue sanitaries back in 1970 I think.Yeah, I figured someone would call me on that. I was in Viet Nam for the 1970 season, and never saw the Sox wearing Cubbie blue.

WhiteSox5187
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I figured someone would call me on that. I was in Viet Nam for the 1970 season, and never saw the Sox wearing Cubbie blue.

It was a much darker shade of blue than Cubbie blue, so technically that was the last time the White Sox wore white socks.

I take that back, during the Veeck era they wore white socks, but no stirrups.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
It was a much darker shade of blue than Cubbie blue, so technically that was the last time the White Sox wore white socks.

I take that back, during the Veeck era they wore white socks, but no stirrups.I was in the Army for both the 69 and 70 seasons, so I never actually saw that uniform. I had seen pictures that led me to believe it was a royal blue. Hmm, I see they wore that color in '68 too. I didn't remember that.

http://www.dugout-memories.com/ws19681.jpg Looks pretty Cubbie blue to me.

Yeah, the Veeck floppy-collared pajamas had white socks, but not stirrups.

Johnny Mostil
11-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Perhaps an exception could be made for players hitting at least 40 HR in a season for the Sox. This would keep Konerko out of stirrups as well (should he choose to return).:redneck

LongLiveFisk
11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I would love to see the SOX wear simple white socks/without stirrups, similar to the early century "Eight Men Out" uniforms. If the SOX ever decided to ditch their current uniforms, I would love to see the old-school big "S" uniforms with the white socks and black shoes. However, I doubt that will ever happen.

I don't think they have to ditch their current uniforms to use white socks.

TomBradley72
11-17-2010, 06:43 PM
i would love to see the sox wear simple white socks/without stirrups, similar to the early century "eight men out" uniforms.

+1

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't think they have to ditch their current uniforms to use white socks.I'd be fine with that, too.