PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals re-sign Westbrook

Sockinchisox
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
2 yr deal w/mutual option for 2013.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/cardinals-re-sign-jake-westbrook.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

KMcMahon817
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
2 yr deal w/mutual option for 2013.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/cardinals-re-sign-jake-westbrook.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Now, Khan, let me ask you this: would you rather have Westbrook at ~8 million or Jackson at ~8?

khan
11-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Now, Khan, let me ask you this: would you rather have Westbrook at ~8 million or Jackson at ~8?
Before I address this, I'd have to know first:

1. Would the SOX still have an aging/gradually more ineffective Buehrle @ $14M, a china doll in Peavy @ $14M, an inconsistent-since-he-got-his-money Floyd @ $5M, the best SP in Danks without a long term deal;

2. Would the SOX still have gaping holes at RF, 1B, possibly 3rd base, closer, possibly LH/RH setup, no long man in the pen, DH, LH power bat, C;

3. Would the SOX still have Jack and **** in the farm system;

4. Would the SOX still have the apparent budget it appears to have, and the concomitant lack of financial resources to buy their way out of problems, as the NYY can;

5. Who is Westbrook's agent;

6. What is the rest of the SP free agent market looking like in THIS season [In terms of quantity, quality, and cost of the players involved];

7. What is the rest of the PROJECTED SP free agent market looking like in the season that each player will be in free agency and/or arbitration [Again, in terms of quantity, quality, and cost of the players involved];

8. What assets do the SOX have that can either address the gaping holes noted in #2, or can be TRADED to address some of the gaping holes noted in #2, or can be shipped out to provide salary relief to allow FA acquisitions to address some of the gaping holes noted in #2;

9. How close or how far away would the SOX be from making a REAL push towards winning a WS;

10. Are there any other issues within the SOX organization that might encourage or discourage an investment of like size/like duration towards a player that was not yet mentioned?

When one can answer these queries, I can address yours with some degree of accuracy. Absent any attempt at discovery of these very real issues, there can be NO legitimate answer as to which of the rather craptacular Westbrook or craptactular Jackson would be preferable. Without knowing the Cardinals' situation, I can't state whether or not it was wise for them to keep Westbrook.

I CAN state however, that given the greed of Jackson's agent, it is highly unlikely that he'll get a paltry ~$8M/season, provided that Jackson has a pulse at the end of the 2011 season. Therefore, these two really aren't all that comparable.

Thanks.

mzh
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Khan, would you rather have Westbrook or Jackson at 8 Mil? 2 Options, A or B. No extended response format.

Good response though. We All know which way you lean, and you present a good argument..

KMcMahon817
11-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Before I address this, I'd have to know first:

1. Would the SOX still have an aging/gradually more ineffective Buehrle @ $14M, a china doll in Peavy @ $14M, an inconsistent-since-he-got-his-money Floyd @ $5M, the best SP in Danks without a long term deal;

2. Would the SOX still have gaping holes at RF, 1B, possibly 3rd base, closer, possibly LH/RH setup, no long man in the pen, DH, LH power bat, C;

3. Would the SOX still have Jack and **** in the farm system;

4. Would the SOX still have the apparent budget it appears to have, and the concomitant lack of financial resources to buy their way out of problems, as the NYY can;

5. Who is Westbrook's agent;

6. What is the rest of the SP free agent market looking like in THIS season [In terms of quantity, quality, and cost of the players involved];

7. What is the rest of the PROJECTED SP free agent market looking like in the season that each player will be in free agency and/or arbitration [Again, in terms of quantity, quality, and cost of the players involved];

8. What assets do the SOX have that can either address the gaping holes noted in #2, or can be TRADED to address some of the gaping holes noted in #2, or can be shipped out to provide salary relief to allow FA acquisitions to address some of the gaping holes noted in #2;

9. How close or how far away would the SOX be from making a REAL push towards winning a WS;

10. Are there any other issues within the SOX organization that might encourage or discourage an investment of like size/like duration towards a player that was not yet mentioned?

When one can answer these queries, I can address yours with some degree of accuracy. Absent any attempt at discovery of these very real issues, there can be NO legitimate answer as to which of the rather craptacular Westbrook or craptactular Jackson would be preferable. Without knowing the Cardinals' situation, I can't state whether or not it was wise for them to keep Westbrook.

I CAN state however, that given the greed of Jackson's agent, it is highly unlikely that he'll get a paltry ~$8M/season, provided that Jackson has a pulse at the end of the 2011 season. Therefore, these two really aren't all that comparable.

Thanks.

Quality response. Can't disagree with anything you stated. Just wanted to point out that Jackson is not as overpaid as you make him out to be. If a guy like Westbrook can get 8.5 million for two years on the open market, Jackson could easily surpass that. However, I know you believe he is overpaid in connection with the rest of the rotation, which is a valid point. So no need to restate that.

Thanks.

khan
11-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Khan, would you rather have Westbrook or Jackson at 8 Mil? 2 Options, A or B. No extended response format.

Good response though. We All know which way you lean, and you present a good argument..
I apologize for the protracted response.

But, I simply can't make the argument either way, without considering all the angles. In my book, people don't pay cash to watch fantasy baseball. They pay money to watch MLB.

Therefore, I can't look at it as "just" a "which-guy-is-better" perspective ALONE.

Quality response. Can't disagree with anything you stated. Just wanted to point out that Jackson is not as overpaid as you make him out to be. If a guy like Westbrook can get 8.5 million for two years on the open market, Jackson could easily surpass that. However, I know you believe he is overpaid in connection with the rest of the rotation, which is a valid point. So no need to restate that.

Thanks.
I don't think he is/was overpaid so much as there are/were much bigger and better uses for $8.5M and the now-gone Daniel Hudson, given the ~10 queries I mentioned off the top of my head. And no, I won't re-state my previously-stated arguments.