PDA

View Full Version : Uggla traded to Braves

Sockinchisox
11-16-2010, 04:41 PM
For Omar Infante and Mike Dunn.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/braves-to-acquire-dan-uggla.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JermaineDye05
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
His bat will help. His glove is pretty suspect though which is kind of funny considering Brooks Conrad's horrid NLDS.

Rockabilly
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Glad that he isn't coming to the AL

Sargeant79
11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I really think the Braves got a steal here. Dunn is a nice reliever, but he isn't really much of a prospect anymore. And Infante had a career year last year. I realize that Uggla is a ffree agent after 2011, but I would have thought the return for him would have still been better than this.

PalehosePlanet
11-16-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm very surprised that all it took was Infante and Dunn to get this done. IMO: This is a weak return for the Marlins and a great deal for offensively starved Braves; even if he leaves after one year.

salty99
11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree it sounds like the Marlins got fleeced.

Jpgr91
11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Clearly the Marlins did not have very much leverage. What is a good return for a player that most MLB GM's suspect you are intent on cutting ties with?

PalehosePlanet
11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Clearly the Marlins did not have very much leverage. What is a good return for a player that most MLB GM's suspect you are intent on cutting ties with?

They could not reach a long term deal, that does not mean that they would have non-tendered him. At worst, they would have gone to arbitration and had him for one more year.

Hell, a hot start and they could have scored more for him at the trade deadline.

Jpgr91
11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
They could not reach a long term deal, that does not mean that they would have non-tendered him. At worst, they would have gone to arbitration and had him for one more year.

Hell, a hot start and they could have scored more for him at the trade deadline.

I agree that they would not have non-tendered him but even a 1 year deal would have strained the Marlins. Assuming the team was not in contention they certainly could have gotten more at the deadline. I think trading him at any point next season comes with the side effect of hurting the effectiveness of the 2011 team. By taking the "trade now" route they are able to reallocate the Uggla dollars to fill other holes and get a few serviceable pieces that will help them win in 2011.

PalehosePlanet
11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
I agree that they would not have non-tendered him but even a 1 year deal would have strained the Marlins. Assuming the team was not in contention they certainly could have gotten more at the deadline. I think trading him at any point next season comes with the side effect of hurting the effectiveness of the 2011 team. By taking the "trade now" route they are able to reallocate the Uggla dollars to fill other holes and get a few serviceable pieces that will help them win in 2011.

Very true, but it still doesn't explain the weak return in the trade. Also, I don't understand why you feel the Marlins lacked leverage in making a better deal.

soxfanatlanta
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
How in the hell did Wren pull this one off?

Jpgr91
11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
[/B]

Very true, but it still doesn't explain the weak return in the trade. Also, I don't understand why you feel the Marlins lacked leverage in making a better deal.

An aspect of a players value is how that player fits into the plans of the organization. Look at the Pierre+Cash Trade and the Swisher Trade. The LAD outfield situation meant that Pierre no longer had regular playing time. KW was able to get the Dodgers to pay a good chunk of salary while obtaining a productive player. In the Swisher trade EVERYONE knew that Ozzie wanted Swisher out of Chicago so KW had to trade him away for next to nothing. Swisher has had two productive years after he left the Sox. Can anyone make a convincing argument that the Sox received "fair" value for Swisher or had to pay "fair" value for Pierre?

The aspect of "leverage" comes into play when opponents correctly deduce your position on a player. If the GM's interested in Uggla looked at the Marlins situation and determined that the Marlins needed to move him why would the GM offer "fair" value? Furthermore it is very possible that the Marlins determined they were better off investing their resources in places other Uggla.

cws05champ
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I think the Braves got the better end of the deal, but this could turn out to be one of those "Carlos Lee circa 2005" trades where the Marlins get what they need as a team to make them better overall.

They shore up better defense at 2B, and they have bolstered the bullpen to go along with a pretty good starting staff. Looks like they just signed John Buck which will bring some power to the lineup and Stanton and Morrison could project for increased power #'s next year as well.

I don't think anyone could deny that back when the Carlos Lee deal was made no one thought the Sox were getting equal talent value back, but it turned out what they needed.

Foulke You
11-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't follow the Braves very closely but does this mean Martin Prado is moving somewhere else on the diamond? I thought he was their main guy at 2B?

KRS1
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
It's been said, but what a steal for the Braves.

DSpivack
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't follow the Braves very closely but does this mean Martin Prado is moving somewhere else on the diamond? I thought he was their main guy at 2B?

He can play either 2B or 3B. Chipper won't be ready for Opening Day and may start out in LF, anyway.

LoveYourSuit
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Uggla would have been a huge upgrade for us at 2b. Not overpaid either.

PaleHoser
11-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I understand the Marlins dumping Uggla (that's what they do), but why in the world would they trade him within their own division? :scratch:

TheOldRoman
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Uggla would have been a huge upgrade for us at 2b. Not overpaid either.Um, yeah. No. I know you have been telling anyone who would listen that Beckham is a bust, but you don't displace a young player with his type of talent for a career .265 hitter who plays about the worst 2B imaginable.

palehozenychicty
11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
He can play either 2B or 3B. Chipper won't be ready for Opening Day and may start out in LF, anyway.

I think this will be a trade that could benefit both teams, as someone mentioned. The Braves needed a bat, and the Marlins need a sure-handed second baseman. Even if Infante's bat metrics drop, he'll make the pitchers better. Marlins have really cleaned up that bullpen too. If Stanton and Coghlan hit, look out NL East.

Is Chipper definitely returning? I heard last that he would retire with Bobby Cox.

DirtySox
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Um, yeah. No. I know you have been telling anyone who would listen that Beckham is a bust, but you don't displace a young player with his type of talent for a career .265 hitter who plays about the worst 2B imaginable.

But, must win NOW!

LoveYourSuit
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Um, yeah. No. I know you have been telling anyone who would listen that Beckham is a bust, but you don't displace a young player with his type of talent for a career .265 hitter who plays about the worst 2B imaginable.

Then you move Beckham back to 3B.

If you have a chance to pick up a good power hitter for the middle of the order and only pay him $8 million next season and give up what the Braves game up for him, I think it's worth a try.

Foulke You
11-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Then you move Beckham back to 3B.

If you have a chance to pick up a good power hitter for the middle of the order and only pay him $8 million next season and give up what the Braves game up for him, I think it's worth a try.
Old Roman did mention that Uggla's defense leaves much to be desired and he is correct. Uggla would be a huge downgrade to Beckham on defense at 2B. Even if you moved Beckham back to 3B as you suggested, you are essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul there by taking Morel's solid glove off the diamond.