PDA

View Full Version : 12 Candidates for Hall of Fame Election next month

Fenway
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
HOF press release

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/expansion-era-committee-consider-12-candidates-hall-fame-election-december's

Mike Lupica pleads that Marvin Miller gets in

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/11/14/2010-11-14_former_mlbpa_executive_director_marvin_miller_h as_waited_long_enough_for_hall_of.html

JR is one of the 16 voters

TDog
11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Two interesting points:

The news release in summarizing Tommy John's career leaves out the fact that he pitched for the White Sox. It goes from Indians to Dodgers, the team the White Sox got him from in the 1960s and the team the White Sox traded him to in the 1970s. I'm sure it was an innocent oversight. Tommy John is probably more deserving of the Hall of Fame than Bert Blyleven, who will probably be inducted next summer.

It's nice not to see Ron Santo's name on the list.

Fenway
11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Marvin Miller - Major impact on the game

George Steinbrenner - Thanks to Marvin nobody exploited free agency more

Pat Gillick - I will always remember seeing him at a Florida State League game in Winter Haven just watching ... very few GM's bother to do that

Billy Martin - Sure he had great players in NY, but look at what he did with Billy Ball when he had litte to work with after Finley lost everybody

Hitmen77
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Two interesting points:

The news release in summarizing Tommy John's career leaves out the fact that he pitched for the White Sox. It goes from Indians to Dodgers, the team the White Sox got him from in the 1960s and the team the White Sox traded him to in the 1970s. I'm sure it was an innocent oversight. Tommy John is probably more deserving of the Hall of Fame than Bert Blyleven, who will probably be inducted next summer.

It's nice not to see Ron Santo's name on the list.

He pitched more innings and in more games for the White Sox than for any other team:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnto01.shtml

That being said, I'm not disputing that his time with the Dodgers and Yankees (with multiple playoffs and World Series appearances) is more memorable.

TDog
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
He pitched more innings and in more games for the White Sox than for any other team:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnto01.shtml

That being said, I'm not disputing that his time with the Dodgers and Yankees (with multiple playoffs and World Series appearances) is more memorable.

And in his autobiography, he looked back at the years with the White Sox as being very happy ones. Of course, he was injured with his next team, the Dodgers. If you look at his career as pre- and post-experimental surgery to save his career, you could say you really can't have a feeling for how good a pitcher Tommy John was if you didn't see him pitch for the White Sox.

Fenway
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
WSI saves the day

Kevin:

Thank you very much for your note. We apologize for this error, and we will add the White Sox to Tommy John's list of teams.If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
Craig Muder
Director of Communications
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

MarySwiss
11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
WSI saves the day

Kevin:

Thank you very much for your note. We apologize for this error, and we will add the White Sox to Tommy John's list of teams.If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
Craig Muder
You go, Fens!

Daver
11-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Marvin Miller deserves it the most, which means he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting in.

PaleHoser
11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Marvin Miller, without a doubt. IMO, no one has changed the game more in the last 50 years than him.

Fenway
11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Marvin Miller, without a doubt. IMO, no one has changed the game more in the last 50 years than him.

Miller was hated by the owners and several (Bill Veeck for example) were forced to sell. Miller's genius is best shown where he wouldn't let everybody be a free agent at the same time.

Broadcaster Ken Coleman wrote that in 1967 he was the highest paid employee of the Red Sox and by 1986 he was at the low end.

If there is any justice Billy Martin gets in before George and they both would laugh at that.

voodoochile
11-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I really can't comment on all of the players. Obviously I recognize their names and what they did, but don't have enough information to pass official judgment.

I didn't vote for Miller. I didn't click the links preferring to go off of my own thoughts first and thus I had no idea who he was.

If Steinbrenner doesn't get in it's a sham...

TommyJohn
11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
HOF press release

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/expansion-era-committee-consider-12-candidates-hall-fame-election-december's

Mike Lupica pleads that Marvin Miller gets in

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/11/14/2010-11-14_former_mlbpa_executive_director_marvin_miller_h as_waited_long_enough_for_hall_of.html

JR is one of the 16 voters

This isn't the usual Vet's Committe, is it? Ron Santo and Dick Allen aren't on it. Why is Tommy John? He just dropped off the BBWAA ballot.

Johnny Mostil
11-16-2010, 09:38 AM
This isn't the usual Vet's Committe, is it? Ron Santo and Dick Allen aren't on it. Why is Tommy John? He just dropped off the BBWAA ballot.

Doesn't look like it. I hadn't previously heard of an ad hoc (?) committee "for Consideration of Careers Whose Greatest Impact Felt from 1973-present." Though that would explain why Santo and even Allen aren't being considered.

russ99
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM

No, it's a special "Post-expansion" committee.

I can't really see that any of the players are a lock as being hall-worthy based on what other players of their era who are enshrined did.

As for Martin and the execs, IMO all of them should go in.

AzureJazzMan
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
WSI saves the day

Kevin:

Sincerely,
Craig Muder

Well done, and excellent job Fenway!!! :cool:

Moses_Scurry
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Le Grand Orange!!!

The man learned a new language just to be more connected with his audience!

vinny
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Looks like the "Big Hair and Plastic Grass" ballot. What, no Charlie Finley?

I like Marvin Miller, although I don't think he gets in. Steinbrenner and Martin should get in.

IMO, of the players, Garvey is the only one who comes close, and I don't think he should get in.

Fenway
11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
You go, Fens!

Yay they fixed it

Tommy John pitched 26 seasons for the Indians, White Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, Angels and A's, finishing his career after the 1989 season with a record of 288-231 and 3.34 ERA. His 700 career starts rank eighth on the all-time list and his 4,710.1 innings rank 20th all-time.