PDA

View Full Version : A retired Boston sportscaster looks at the Pittsburgh Pirates

Fenway
11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Clark Booth should have been a sportswriter but he went the TV route at WCVB-TV where his job was (dead serious) Red Sox and Vatican reporter.

He has a way with words but he looks at the hapless Pirates

http://www.dotnews.com/columns/2010/losers-go-pirates-pittsburgh-have-reached-top

PKalltheway
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Call me crazy, but I think after a season like the Pirates had this year (57-105, 17-64 on the road:o:), there's nowhere to go but up for them. Out of their 18 consecutive losing seasons, this one was the worst of them all. Besides, they look like they have some decent young talent with Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata and Neil Walker.

Believe it or not, they were 40-41 at home this year! I'm not saying they will have a winning season in 2011, but I think the light at the end of the tunnel will come for them sooner rather than later.

Hitmen77
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
It's a shame that a team with a proud history has become a laughingstock. It sounds like they can't blame it all on them being a small market either.

The numbers in the article didn't add up for me: they get $70 million in shared MLB revenue, another $70 million in tickets/concessions/parking, their payroll is only $35 million....and their total profits across two seasons was $29 million. :scratch:

Nonetheless, the point is their ownership seems to be comfortable turning a nice profit and being cellar dwellers every year. They make money, so they're probably seen as a "successful" franchise by Bud Selig.

In a city that recently brought home the Stanley Cup and a Lombardi trophy in the same year, I can only imagine the Pirates' ineptitude has killed interest in baseball in that town (maybe someone from Pittsburgh can weigh in on that).

It's a shame that such a beautiful ballpark is wasted on such an awful team. In fact, I read that PNC Park is getting fed up with the Pirates: http://www.theonion.com/articles/pnc-park-threatens-to-leave-pittsburgh-unless-bett,2003/ :tongue:

Fenway
11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Older fans still care buy they have lost a generation of younger fans...

19 years is a long time..to just play 500 ball

It's a shame that a team with a proud history has become a laughingstock. It sounds like they can't blame it all on them being a small market either.

The numbers in the article didn't add up for me: they get $70 million in shared MLB revenue, another $70 million in tickets/concessions/parking, their payroll is only $35 million....and their total profits across two seasons was $29 million. :scratch:

Nonetheless, the point is their ownership seems to be comfortable turning a nice profit and being cellar dwellers every year. They make money, so they're probably seen as a "successful" franchise by Bud Selig.

In a city that recently brought home the Stanley Cup and a Lombardi trophy in the same year, I can only imagine the Pirates' ineptitude has killed interest in baseball in that town (maybe someone from Pittsburgh can weigh in on that).

It's a shame that such a beautiful ballpark is wasted on such an awful team. In fact, I read that PNC Park is getting fed up with the Pirates: http://www.theonion.com/articles/pnc-park-threatens-to-leave-pittsburgh-unless-bett,2003/ :tongue: