PDA

View Full Version : Opening Night?

roylestillman
11-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Don't know if it's been brought up, but I was looking at the split season Hit and Run plan schedule and they list Thursday April 7th as Opening Night. Anybody know if this is real? It changes all of my Opening Day rituals and its pretty darn cold in April. The only scheduled Opening night I can remember was ESPN Sunday night Opener in 2006.

dickallen15
11-15-2010, 08:18 AM
They had another opening night in 2001. It was about 80 degrees.

SephClone89
11-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Would make it easier for me to get up to the city from Bloomington-Normal, only missing a minimum of classes...

Count me in.

ChiSoxGirl
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Don't know if it's been brought up, but I was looking at the split season Hit and Run plan schedule and they list Thursday April 7th as Opening Night. Anybody know if this is real? It changes all of my Opening Day rituals and its pretty darn cold in April. The only scheduled Opening night I can remember was ESPN Sunday night Opener in 2006.

Hmmm.... If that's the case, it looks like I'll be taking my personal day the day after Opening Day, rather than on Opening Day itself.

roylestillman
11-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Checked the stubs. It was 2000 with a 6:05 start time and you're right game time temp was 73 degrees. It was warm for the 2006 Opening night, too, until the Furies called down that epic rainstorm.

ewokpelts
11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
this game is a sellout anyways, so why bother with a night game? if there's bad weather, there wont be a good window to make up the game.

LoveYourSuit
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I love opening night.

One can recall one of the greatest catches IMO in White Sox history, Ray Durham going over his shoulder diving into RF.

As for the the time of the game, I love it! I can still get a half day of work in, get home, prep things up for tailgate and have a blast.

CHISOXFAN13
11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Was definitely the year before with the Durham catch being the highlight. I think it was about 39 degrees with rain in 2001.

ewokpelts
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Was definitely the year before with the Durham catch being the highlight. I think it was about 39 degrees with rain in 2001.

which is why opening DAY is better than Opening night.

Taliesinrk
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I love opening night.

One can recall one of the greatest catches IMO in White Sox history, Ray Durham going over his shoulder diving into RF.

As for the the time of the game, I love it! I can still get a half day of work in, get home, prep things up for tailgate and have a blast.

2000. That was awesome. IIRC, it was in the 1st inning and the place erupted - the only opening day I've been able to make. I had such high hopes for that team... a real testament to how important pitching is in the post-season - and how cold an offense can go.

kobo
11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Checked the stubs. It was 2000 with a 6:05 start time and you're right game time temp was 73 degrees. It was warm for the 2006 Opening night, too, until the Furies called down that epic rainstorm.

April 14, 2000, against the Angels. I think that was the first opening night in the team's history. I remember the catch in the first by Durham and that it was an incredibly beautiful night in terms of weather. They gave out commemorative pins that night, I still have mine.

ewokpelts
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
April 14, 2000, against the Angels. I think that was the first opening night in the team's history. I remember the catch in the first by Durham and that it was an incredibly beautiful night in terms of weather. They gave out commemorative pins that night, I still have mine.and it was cold as hell the next day

dickallen15
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
and it was cold as hell the next day
So it could be cold or nice whether day or night. I believe the Sox first night game this year was earlier than 4/7. While it makes sense it should be warmer during the day, weather is still a crapshoot that time of year. The Sox have won both opening day night games they have hosted. Keep the tradition alive. I'm sure it will be a 6:05 start.

GoGoCrede
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd rather it be during the day, but like many others, I'll be there regardless. I just hope I don't have class that night.

DumpJerry
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Right now, the only April games with times on them are the two Kansas City games (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=4&y=2011) right before the home opener.

soxfan43
11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Hmmm.... If that's the case, it looks like I'll be taking my personal day the day after Opening Day, rather than on Opening Day itself.

I'm right there with you. I'd love a thursday night opener so I could just take the Friday off. I do love the Opening Day feeling though(if it's sunny out). But I wouldn't mind if they went to a night start.

roylestillman
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Right now, the only April games with times on them are the two Kansas City games (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=4&y=2011) right before the home opener.

I was looking at the Hit and Run plan schedule on the Split season screen where it says Opening Night,

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/ticket_plans.jsp?loc=splitplan

SOXfnNlansing
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
April 14, 2000, against the Angels. I think that was the first opening night in the team's history. I remember the catch in the first by Durham and that it was an incredibly beautiful night in terms of weather. They gave out commemorative pins that night, I still have mine.

That pin said "Inaugural Opening Night", implying it was going to be a yearly thing. I really enjoyed that and hope they bring it back next season.

salty99
11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
That's interesting, hopefully it's a nice day and the Sox win!

Lip Man 1
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Playing any night games before say April 20th in Chicago is usually a bad idea.

Not only could it affect the crowd but more importantly cause issues for the players themselves.

The Sox with their killer April schedule need any and all advantages that they can get. I'd rather play in 45 degree weather in the day, than 32 degree weather at night, given how poorly this team seems to play when it's cold out. It may not be much of an advantage but you take what you can get.

The Sox can not afford another April / May like they had in 2010.

Lip

ewokpelts
11-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Weekend plan holders should be pissed about the hit and run plan. It featured OD AND tweo cub games. Meanwhile, the weekend plan has the ****tiest slate i've ever seen as an STH, and you only get one cub game . Of course, the red sox games are premium despite no one caring about that series anymore.

jdm2662
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
The Sox can not afford another April / May like they had in 2010.

Lip

Record wise, I agree. The weather this season was one of the better ones I can remember. They just flat out sucked for two months, and it had nothing to do with the schedule/weather.

dickallen15
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Weekend plan holders should be pissed about the hit and run plan. It featured OD AND tweo cub games. Meanwhile, the weekend plan has the ****tiest slate i've ever seen as an STH, and you only get one cub game . Of course, the red sox games are premium despite no one caring about that series anymore.
Maybe the weekday plan holders should finally not be pissed as they now have an extra Cubs game in their plan. The weekday people have been paying for 2 Red Sox premium games for a couple of years. I don't know why the schedule makers, White Sox and the rest of MLB have to cater to weekend plan holders. You've had it pretty good for a while. Sometimes it evens out a bit.

ewokpelts
11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe the weekday plan holders should finally not be pissed as they now have an extra Cubs game in their plan. The weekday people have been paying for 2 Red Sox premium games for a couple of years. I don't know why the schedule makers, White Sox and the rest of MLB have to cater to weekend plan holders. You've had it pretty good for a while. Sometimes it evens out a bit.weekday plan had OD. so getting one cub game makes sense. as the weekend plans have been stuck with home game 2(wed night in april no one wants to go to) from 2006-2010 as thier lone weekday game.

and aside from 2010, the red sox has been a weekend series for a while now. you may get ONE weekday (a thurs or mon) from that series, as the red sox typically show up for four games every year.

Foulke You
11-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I still have that pin too. Besides Durham's catch, Frank Thomas hit a solo bomb in the bottom half of the inning that sent the crowd into a frenzy. That was a really fun night. They even did fireworks after the game too.

dickallen15
11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
weekday plan had OD. so getting one cub game makes sense. as the weekend plans have been stuck with home game 2(wed night in april no one wants to go to) from 2006-2010 as thier lone weekday game.

and aside from 2010, the red sox has been a weekend series for a while now. you may get ONE weekday (a thurs or mon) from that series, as the red sox typically show up for four games every year.

Then switch to a weekday plan . MLB doesn't make a schedule to accomodate you.

DumpJerry
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Opening Day is a day game. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2011/2011_sked.pdf)

roylestillman
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, they dropped the Opening Night reference in the Split ticket plan.

ewokpelts
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
good.

SephClone89
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
So much for my going to the home opener, then.

LoveYourSuit
11-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I would prefer a 3PM start, but whatever.

I'm glad we get to play a good team for the opener. KC and Clev suck.

Brian26
11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Opening Day is a day game. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2011/2011_sked.pdf)

Tampa Bay on Opening Day will be ...unique.