PDA

View Full Version : A's schedule doubleheader in 2011

gogosox675
11-14-2010, 11:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Let-s-play-two-Athletics-schedule-traditional-d;_ylt=AoVF9N7PB921OF8Ea.yf11ypu7YF?urn=mlb-284723

This is interesting. I hope it works out for them.

MarkZ35
11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
That's awesome. I wouldn't mind maybe 1 a month. The teams probably aren't big fans but they could schedule them against teams they usually dont draw well against. The players most likely wouldn't mind it if the schedule length stayed the same and they got a few extra days off.

TDog
11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Of course, this comes only 40 seasons after the A's scheduled a doubleheader for opening day.

By the end of the second game, there will be only a few hundred people in the park. Several of them will be blowing annoying horns and one of them will be pounding on a drum.

What an awful place to spend six hours.

cards press box
11-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Of course, this comes only 40 seasons after the A's scheduled a doubleheader for opening day.

By the end of the second game, there will be only a few hundred people in the park. Several of them will be blowing annoying horns and one of them will be pounding on a drum.

What an awful place to spend six hours.

And the A's opponent for the doubleheader to start the 1971 season? It was the White Sox. I don't recall that either game was on television but I distinctly remember listening to both games, though, on -- get this -- WTAQ then based in LaGrange, Illinois and 1300 on your AM dial with Haray Caray and Ralph Faucher behind the mike. I think that Faucher was the station manager for WTAQ. After the Sox' awful 1970 season, WMAQ (670) dropped them and the only station who wanted them was the obscure WTAQ.

Anyway, I remember listening to both games and being excited that Caray, the colorful former voice of the Redbirds (and the St. Louis Hawks and later the Oakland A's), had become the new Sox announcer. The fact that the Sox beat the powerful A's in both games was not too shabby, either.

LITTLE NELL
11-15-2010, 05:15 AM
And the A's opponent for the doubleheader to start the 1971 season? It was the White Sox. I don't recall that either game was on television but I distinctly remember listening to both games, though, on -- get this -- WTAQ then based in LaGrange, Illinois and 1300 on your AM dial with Haray Caray and Ralph Faucher behind the mike. I think that Faucher was the station manager for WTAQ. After the Sox' awful 1970 season, WMAQ (670) dropped them and the only station who wanted them was the obscure WTAQ.

Anyway, I remember listening to both games and being excited that Caray, the colorful former voice of the Redbirds (and the St. Louis Hawks and later the Oakland A's), had become the new Sox announcer. The fact that the Sox beat the powerful A's in both games was not too shabby, either.

Then we came home and beat the Twins in front of 44,000 with Rich Mckinney's single in the bottom of the 9th.
I'm pretty sure that was the largest opening day crowd up until then in Sox history. How things change, 3 short years before that, the Sox drew 7,700 for the opener.
I would like to see DHers make a comeback if they could somehow shorten the season so the World Series is over by the 3rd week in October.

LoveYourSuit
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I know we talked about it before, but the A's in Vegas would be a treat for the other 13 AL teams. And the A's would actually make money by putting fans in the seats, be it mostly tourists cheering for the other team.

Lip Man 1
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
If MLB intends to expand the postseason either with additional teams or extend each series to a best of seven, you may see DH return on a limited basis regardless of if the owners like it or not.

Only so many days in a calander before the snow starts falling. They'll probably also expand the use of day - night DH's with separate admissions.

Lip

TDog
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I know we talked about it before, but the A's in Vegas would be a treat for the other 13 AL teams. And the A's would actually make money by putting fans in the seats, be it mostly tourists cheering for the other team.

The A's would draw fewer people in Las Vegas than they do Oakland. The tourists who go to see their teams play would be fewer than the Northern California transplants from other cities who go to see their teams play the A's in Oakland.

asindc
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
If MLB intends to expand the postseason either with additional teams or extend each series to a best of seven, you may see DH return on a limited basis regardless of if the owners like it or not.

Only so many days in a calander before the snow starts falling. They'll probably also expoand the use of day - night DH's with separate admissions.

Lip

I'm surprised that they don't already do this anyway. I suspect that the union has quite of bit of say on DHers, though. I wouldn't mind each team playing 2-3 day/nights each season.

TDog
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised that they don't already do this anyway. I suspect that the union has quite of bit of say on DHers, though. I wouldn't mind each team playing 2-3 day/nights each season.

Unless this has been changed in the collective bargaining agreement, players on the teams involved have to consent to day-night doubleheaders, which can only be used to make up lost games. They can't be used in every city, although the number of cities is expanding. It used to be that only Fenway Park and Wrigley Field could hold them because of their small capacity. Now they seem routine. Kansas City didn't meet the criteria last year, and the White Sox ended up with a traditional, rule book-definition doubleheader there.

Players dislike day-night doubleheaders more than traditional doubleheaders. Instead of a half-hour between games, you have hours, and it makes for a much longer day. I can't imagine the players would bargain away their position on day-night doubleheaders, and I can't imagine the owners would make it a breaking point in negotiations.

SI1020
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Then we came home and beat the Twins in front of 44,000 with Rich Mckinney's single in the bottom of the 9th.
I'm pretty sure that was the largest opening day crowd up until then in Sox history. How things change, 3 short years before that, the Sox drew 7,700 for the opener.
I would like to see DHers make a comeback if they could somehow shorten the season so the World Series is over by the 3rd week in October. If only the lords of baseball would listen to your logic.

kjhanson
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
The A's would draw fewer people in Las Vegas than they do Oakland. The tourists who go to see their teams play would be fewer than the Northern California transplants from other cities who go to see their teams play the A's in Oakland.

That's the beauty of Vegas. You don't need tourists to see their teams. If someone has money on a team, that team is instantly theirs.

TDog
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
That's the beauty of Vegas. You don't need tourists to see their teams. If someone has money on a team, that team is instantly theirs.

Which is part of the reason Las Vegas will not get a team. The point is moot because major league baseball won't go to Las Vegas until Clark County bans bets on major league baseball in its sports books.

ewokpelts
11-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Which is part of the reason Las Vegas will not get a team. The point is moot because major league baseball won't go to Las Vegas until Clark County bans bets on major league baseball in its sports books.
The vegas mayor said flat out baseball betting would be shut down if las vegas got a team.

they shut down betting of nba games while the nba all star game was played at UNLV in 2007

cards press box
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM

I was there -- it was the first opener that I ever attended. The day was beautiful, one of my favorite pitchers, Tom Bradley, started for the Sox and the Sox won a 3-2 game in the bottom of the ninth against the powerful Twins. It was a great day.

Twins Win
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I wish more teams would schedule doubleheaders. I like MarkZ35's idea of one a month.

downstairs
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
How do the A's have any control over their own schedule?

I suppose what really happened is they asked MLB to do it and MLB and the players said OK.

Tragg
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Good for the As. I like it.