PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Bing Crosby

Fenway
11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I just finished watching the NBC telecast of Game 7 of the 1960 World Series at Forbes Field which ran on MLB last night. The kinescope never aired until last night because it wasn't found until last December.

Bing Crosby was a part owner of the Pirates and since he was in Europe arranged to make a copy of the game...nothing was kept back then except by accident or old game shows that CBS demanded be preserved in case another scandal broke.

Crosby then put the 5 reels of film in his wine cellar and they sat untouched for 49 years.

The oldest known complete televised games are from the 1948 World Series at Braves Field, Boston as the games were filmed by NBC in NY and then flown to Chicago to be transmitted in the midwest including Cleveland as the coax cable had yet to connect NY with Chicago.

PaleHoser
11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
:gah:

I can't believe I missed this. If anyone knows when this will be rebroadcast please post here.

It's always fun to watch the Yankees lose.

Lip Man 1
11-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I was told that it wasn't running until December.

Lip

Fenway
11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I was told that it wasn't running until December.

Lip

They moved up the gala in Pittsburgh because Costas was in town for football...They were in a theater in downtown Pittsburgh and MLB showed that and then the screening.It will also be shown on Dec 15th...

I only knew MLB went live at last minute when a Boston writer in Pitt tweeted about it

Fenway
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10267/1089990-63.stm

PaleHoser
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Bob Costas will be hosting the rebroadcast of this game on MLB Network on December 15th from 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm CST. Guests will include Hall of Famer Bill Mazeroski, Dick Groat and Bobby Richardson.

SOXSINCE'70
11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
:gah:

I can't believe I missed this. If anyone knows when this will be rebroadcast please post here.

It's always fun to watch the Yankees lose.

I believe they will show it 12/15/10.

PaleHoser
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Reminder that this game is scheduled to be broadcast tonight on MLB Network.

This is your chance to see Hall of Famers Roberto Clemente, Bill Mazeroski, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra (in LF!), and the South Side's very own Moose Skowron in action.

sox1970
12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Watched the first half tonight until I found out about Crain.

A few observations:

The field condition was awful. They certainly didn't drag the field like they do now. Especially during the game.

Both teams incorporated the catcher when going around the horn after an out. Never knew they did that. When did it stop?

Yogi Berra took two bats to the batters box, took a couple swings in the box, and handed the extra bat to the kid that followed him there. Kinda weird.

Was very cool to see Skowron go opposite field. Big, strong dude back then.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Bob "Gunner" Prince's sportcoat was the highlight of the show. And I thought Lindsey Nelson had some colorful jackets.

Lip

Noneck
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Bob "Gunner" Prince's sportcoat was the highlight of the show. And I thought Lindsey Nelson had some colorful jackets.

Lip

Better than Heywood Hale Broun's?

Lip Man 1
12-15-2010, 11:31 PM
By a mile. It looked like a light colored jacket that had a pattern of the letter "P" inside a square throughout it. The "P" and box were in a darker fabric.

That 'letter' or whatever it was, was all over the jacket at different angels and in different places.

Lip

Noneck
12-15-2010, 11:32 PM
By a mile. It looked like a light colored jacket that had a pattern of the letter "P" inside a square throughout it. The "P" and box were in a darker fabric.

That 'letter' or whatever it was, was all over the jacket at different angels and in different places.

Lip

Sounds extremely snappy. I have to catch this game now.