PDA

View Full Version : Padres Acquire Maybin

DirtySox
11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
The Fish receive Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101113&content_id=16095784&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Marlins have now traded both centerpieces from the Miggy trade. Maybin still has potential though and could benefit from a change of scenery. He should be an interesting follow in San Diego.

Brian26
11-13-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not sole Andrew Miller is done either. What a terrible franchise.

guillen4life13
11-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Watch them win a WS in the next 5 years. This new park (with a retractable roof) is going to do wonders for this team, and coupled with the strong farm and promise the big club is already starting to show, the crowds will be out in droves.

Baseball is the one sport I could see actually flourishing in this city for the long term, and ease of access is going to make that possible instead of the stadium being 25 miles away and virtually inaccessible by public transportation.

doublem23
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Watch them win a WS in the next 5 years. This new park (with a retractable roof) is going to do wonders for this team, and coupled with the strong farm and promise the big club is already starting to show, the crowds will be out in droves.

Baseball is the one sport I could see actually flourishing in this city for the long term, and ease of access is going to make that possible instead of the stadium being 25 miles away and virtually inaccessible by public transportation.

Miami is a garbage sports town. The "fans" there don't deserve an A-ball, XFL, D-League, and KHL team.

mzh
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
http://media.mlive.com/sports_impact/photo/lebron-james-decisionjpg-414e9a10bb7100f9_large.jpg
"But.... But... my talents are there!"

guillen4life13
11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Miami is a garbage sports town. The "fans" there don't deserve an A-ball, XFL, D-League, and KHL team.

Have you ever lived here? Do you have any idea of what baseball means to Cubans and Venezuelans? If you haven't then, as said by the great Walter Sobchak, you're out of your element. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I can understand the sentiment with any other sport, but baseball is different.

I know the next question: "Well then why do they consistently fall in the bottom 5 in attendance every year?"

Dolphins Stadium is a horrible place to watch a game not only because of sight lines, but also due to the summer weather and lack of a retractable roof. People treat summer here like you treat winter in Chicago. You don't want to go outside if you can avoid it. It has all the amenities anyone would want, but it is way too far out of the way from the major metropolitan areas and seats are so far away from the field.

I really miss the Orange Bowl not just because of the mojo the place had, but also because it was easy to get to. As someone with no car down here, I could still take the train then walk a few blocks to get to the stadium (when I lived in Coral Gables). Well... now the new ballpark is right where the OB was. And the Hurricanes didn't used to do so bad when it came to attendance there especially given the size of the school. No, it's no UND, but I can't think of another private school that's as small as us that drew as well as we did.

Furthermore, for all the bitching we as Sox fans do about others poking fun at us for our attendance issues, wouldn't you be the pot calling the kettle black here?

cws05champ
11-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Have you ever lived here? Do you have any idea of what baseball means to Cubans and Venezuelans? If you haven't then, as said by the great Walter Sobchak, you're out of your element. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I can understand the sentiment with any other sport, but baseball is different.

I know the next question: "Well then why do they consistently fall in the bottom 5 in attendance every year?"

Dolphins Stadium is a horrible place to watch a game not only because of sight lines, but also due to the summer weather and lack of a retractable roof. People treat summer here like you treat winter in Chicago. You don't want to go outside if you can avoid it. It has all the amenities anyone would want, but it is way too far out of the way from the major metropolitan areas and seats are so far away from the field.

I really miss the Orange Bowl not just because of the mojo the place had, but also because it was easy to get to. As someone with no car down here, I could still take the train then walk a few blocks to get to the stadium (when I lived in Coral Gables). Well... now the new ballpark is right where the OB was. And the Hurricanes didn't used to do so bad when it came to attendance there especially given the size of the school. No, it's no UND, but I can't think of another private school that's as small as us that drew as well as we did.

Furthermore, for all the bitching we as Sox fans do about others poking fun at us for our attendance issues, wouldn't you be the pot calling the kettle black here?
I have lived down in South Florida for 10 years and I have to agree with dub here.....Miami is not a very good sports town. What team really draws down here besides the Dolphins, and the Dolphins play in the same stadium as where the Marlins are now. The Heat last year even with a Superstar player in Wade had empty seats littered throughout the stadium. The Marlins, the Panthers both struggle to give tickets away.

I agree that Dolphins stadium is a horrible place to watch a ballgame, but after the initial opening year of the new stadium, if the Marlins are not a top team....it will go back to 15-20K/night. I understand it's a better location for people in Miami, but a stadium that far South now really makes it hard for Broward and Palm Beach county folks (who, in general have a lot of disposable income) to go to a game.

I think one of the main issues is the population down here is transient and a lot of folks loyalties lie elsewhere. Me, case in point...I love baseball, and the Sox are my favorite team but I struggle to find the motivation to go to a Marlins game because they are not my favorite team. And while a better stadium would help, the location of the new one will make it really difficult to go to.

guillen4life13
11-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I have lived down in South Florida for 10 years and I have to agree with dub here.....Miami is not a very good sports town. What team really draws down here besides the Dolphins, and the Dolphins play in the same stadium as where the Marlins are now. The Heat last year even with a Superstar player in Wade had empty seats littered throughout the stadium. The Marlins, the Panthers both struggle to give tickets away.

I agree that Dolphins stadium is a horrible place to watch a ballgame, but after the initial opening year of the new stadium, if the Marlins are not a top team....it will go back to 15-20K/night. I understand it's a better location for people in Miami, but a stadium that far South now really makes it hard for Broward and Palm Beach county folks (who, in general have a lot of disposable income) to go to a game.

I think one of the main issues is the population down here is transient and a lot of folks loyalties lie elsewhere. Me, case in point...I love baseball, and the Sox are my favorite team but I struggle to find the motivation to go to a Marlins game because they are not my favorite team. And while a better stadium would help, the location of the new one will make it really difficult to go to.

I think walkup sales are going to surprise during the summer, especially due to the park location. The fact that the park can protect from rain and the heat/sun during the summer is going to play a huge role.