DirtySox
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Do not like.

skobabe8
11-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Well that sucks.

WhiteSox5187
11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't like that. No need to mess around with the road uniform.

koch44
11-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I hope that they sell the jerseys with the diamond patch on sale then, so I can get it at a good price. I don't like our main logo as the arm patch.

hi im skot
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
If this is true, it's a complete disaster.

soxpride724
11-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I do not like it. The diamond Sox logo was perfect. The SOX logo on the sleeve reminds me of something I see on fashion jerseys.

tacosalbarojas
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Count me in the movement to not let the diamond sock die.

FielderJones
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Do not want!

Keep the diamond sock!

http://www.chriscreamer.com/images/logos/53/55/full/fmxwhl7ths305rlknb3oqb8j8.gif

Brian26
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. The diamond sock was phenomenal on the sleeve. Absolutely unbelievable. Why?????????????? :angry:

Brian26
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I do not like it. The diamond Sox logo was perfect. The SOX logo on the sleeve reminds me of something I see on fashion jerseys.

It's redundant. The Sox logo is on the hat. Why the hell do you need it on the sleeve too? The sock was classy looking. This looks ridiculous.

What is Boyer's email address? Seriously, this is obscene. I know it's just a patch, but why even mess with it?

GoGoCrede
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Thumbs down.

DumpJerry
11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Will it confuse coaches and managers into thinking Alexei is Jeter? If so, I'm all for it.

GoGoCrede
11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, look on the bright side, they hardly ever wear any other uniform than the black one, anyway. So we won't see this one much. :redneck

soxfan21
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Put me in the crowd that does not like/agree with this uni change.

hi im skot
11-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Is this confirmed anywhere?

TheOldRoman
11-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Is this confirmed anywhere?I frequent that message board, and it was confirmed by multiple people who have seen the MLB style guide, which tells of all uniforms for the coming year. It is unfortunately legit. The home jersey will continue to have no patch and the black jersey will still have the diamond sock.

"Hey guys! We are the Chicago White Sox. We have Chicago on the chest, so you might have assumed we were the Cubs. In case you couldn't tell from the black and gray colors, the Sox logo on our hats, or the sock patch on our sleeve, we are not the Cubs. We changed the sleeve patch to reflect that."

samurai_sox
11-13-2010, 02:03 AM
I think I might cry.... :whiner:

I love the diamond sock on our road uni!

Frontman
11-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Well, look on the bright side, they hardly ever wear any other uniform than the black one, anyway. So we won't see this one much. :redneck

Beat me to it. They pretty much could do anything to the gray uniform; we'd never see them anyways.....

Brian26
11-13-2010, 07:17 AM
I frequent that message board, and it was confirmed by multiple people who have seen the MLB style guide, which tells of all uniforms for the coming year. It is unfortunately legit. The home jersey will continue to have no patch and the black jersey will still have the diamond sock.

"Hey guys! We are the Chicago White Sox. We have Chicago on the chest, so you might have assumed we were the Cubs. In case you couldn't tell from the black and gray colors, the Sox logo on our hats, or the sock patch on our sleeve, we are not the Cubs. We changed the sleeve patch to reflect that."

It screams of the Sox hiring some 22-yr old marketing kid out of college, with no sense of history, who needed something to work on this year, so they gave him/her the job of revamping the jerseys.

Somewhere down in my basement, I have an old VHS tape with "White Sox Weekly" shows from 1990. This was a half hour show that used to air on SportsChannel during the season, with Tom Paciorek hosting and Jeff Torborg (manager at the time) sitting alongside. I still have the episode saved from July of 1990 when this road uniform was first unveiled. It came out of nowhere, as I wasn't expecting it, but it blew me away when I first saw the jersey. Torborg was sitting on the field with Paciorek, and Torborg had the full uniform on. He talked about how classy the uniform looked with the black hat with the old english S-O-X down to the detail of the diamond sock on the sleeve.

A lot of thought and effort went into designing these uniforms 20 years ago. It's unfathomable that they would start messing with them now, especially after the Sox just won a World Series in them.

windycityson
11-13-2010, 08:34 AM
BRING BACK THE DIAMOND SOCK!!!!....That sucks.

PaleHoser
11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
:puking:

There's a reason this uniform hasn't changed for 20 years. It's perfect. Leave it alone.

konerko 14
11-13-2010, 10:18 AM
don't like it :(:

DSpivack
11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey, WSI agrees unanimously, surely this change isn't completely bad!

Red Barchetta
11-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Bleh! Does nothing for me. I know MLB and the SOX want to push more merchandise, however the unis now remind me of Dodgers who put "LA" on the sleeve a few years ago.

If they were to change anything, why not add a black "Chicago" script jersey for the road and wear the black "SOX" altnerates at home.

The only way I will grow to like this change is if they actually begin to wear the grey road jerseys as the primary road jersey again.

Orta 4-6-3
11-13-2010, 11:19 AM
So they remove the actual image of a White Sox from the uniform? Bad move.

MARTINMVP
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Gives me an excuse to finally go out and buy my White Sox Road jersey before the retail ones make the change.

MarkM2112
11-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Bleh! Does nothing for me. I know MLB and the SOX want to push more merchandise, however the unis now remind me of Dodgers who put "LA" on the sleeve a few years ago.

Perhaps there is something to that, since Jerry Reinsdorf grew up a Dodger fan... Coincidence? I think NOT!

Also, put me in the camp that is against the removal of the diamond sock from the road uniforms. In fact, I would like to see the diamond sock logo ADDED to the home uniforms!

Johnny Mostil
11-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Beat me to it. They pretty much could do anything to the gray uniform; we'd never see them anyways.....

+1. Or +2.

ChicagoG19
11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Keep the diamond sock!!! The franchise has finally started a tradition with their uniforms. Don't mess with them!

downstairs
11-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Dumb move.

KMcMahon817
11-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't like it. The white sock patch is great.

Frater Perdurabo
11-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I like the diamond sock also. Keep it on the road grays, and add it to the home whites. While we're at it, can we PLEASE limit the black alternates to one game per week?

Corlose 15
11-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I like the diamond sock also. Keep it on the road grays, and add it to the home whites. While we're at it, can we PLEASE limit the black alternates to one game per week?

Remember when they used to just wear them on Sundays?

soltrain21
11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Reminds me of the all star homerun derby jerseys. Blah.

DirtySox
11-13-2010, 01:24 PM

All of this.

Glad I bought my road gray with the patch last year.

hi im skot
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Reminds me of the all star homerun derby jerseys. Blah.

I thought of this as well. I don't mind it on the BP jerseys, but this is just completely mindless.

They made a change for the sake of making a change.

Totally dumb.

downstairs
11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Remember when they used to just wear them on Sundays?

I really dig that kind of tradition. I think that would actually expose the jersey *more* in an ironic way... because it kinda has meaning.

But... there's no restraint in sports marketing anymore.

Red Barchetta
11-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Out of 162 games last season, they wore the black "alternate" jerseys 115 times! That's crazy!

beasly213
11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Time for everyone so start sending e-mails in to the Sox. If they get enough complaints maybe they won't do it...

Lip Man 1
11-13-2010, 02:37 PM
bboyer@chisox.com

There you go.

Lip

thomas35forever
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
The road grays are my dad's favorite uniform. Wonder how he'll react to this. At least we usually wear the blacks now.

windycityson
11-13-2010, 03:20 PM
bboyer@chisox.com

There you go.

Lip

Here's my email:

Mr. Boyer,

As a life long White Sox fan, I have gone through numerous uniform changes. From the collared jersey's of the late 70s to the Campbell soup hats of the late 80s, we finally got it right. We have the best uniforms in all of baseball. I was just informed that the traditional white sock diamond on the sleeve has changed to the "Sox" logo. What I do not understand is changing what is working? The logo on the sleeve is already on the hat. It is pointless to take tradition and replace it with something that is already visible. Please reconsider this change and bring back tradition. I thank you for you time of reading a fan's views and consideration of my email.

Thank you again.

Marqhead
11-13-2010, 04:04 PM
No no no no no no no.

soxpride724
11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
:puking:

There's a reason this uniform hasn't changed for 20 years. It's perfect. Leave it alone.

No ****. This team has had more uniform changes than any other team in MLB history.

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's my email:

Mr. Boyer,

As a life long White Sox fan, I have gone through numerous uniform changes. From the collared jersey's of the late 70s to the Campbell soup hats of the late 80s, we finally got it right. We have the best uniforms in all of baseball. I was just informed that the traditional white sock diamond on the sleeve has changed to the "Sox" logo. What I do not understand is changing what is working? The logo on the sleeve is already on the hat. It is pointless to take tradition and replace it with something that is already visible. Please reconsider this change and bring back tradition. I thank you for you time of reading a fan's views and consideration of my email.

Thank you again.

Because they can make more money selling new jerseys now.

Red Barchetta
11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Because they can make more money selling new jerseys now.

I don't think too many people will rush out to buy another new road jersey just because the change on the sleeve. Especially since most of us like the old jersey better.

If anything, I expect a rush on the old jerseys...

esbrechtel
11-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I am most upset because that is the jersey they won the first World Series in forever....

Why change it?

:angry:

Thome25
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
If they were going to change anything, they should've added the diamond sock patch to the home pinstripes as well.

KnightSox
11-13-2010, 06:58 PM
well, look on the bright side, they hardly ever wear any other uniform than the black one, anyway. So we won't see this one much. :redneck+1

Thome25
11-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Here is a copy of the email I just sent to Brooks:

Mr. Boyer--

Please see the link below:

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=khfmtbpp1l6smxyqw0goxpz91 (http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=khfmtbpp1l6smxyqw0goxpz91)

While this change to the White Sox road unifoms has not been confirmed by the organization, let me say that I protest such a move. I am going into my 21st season as a Chicago White Sox fan and I DO NOT approve of the removal of the diamond-shaped sock patch from the sleeve of this jersey.

The current uniform set is a timeless classic. It was introduced right as I was becoming a fan of baseball. I believe that it should NEVER be changed in the same tradition of teams like the Yankees, Cardinals, and Tigers.

I am not the only one to disapprove of this move. Please see this link on this subject from the biggest and loudest group of Sox fans at White Sox Interactive:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124357 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124357)

As you can see, this is NOT a popular move among the Sox fanbase. If anything had to be changed with the White Sox uniform set, it should have been the ADDITION of the diamond sock patch to the home white pinstriped jersey not it's subtraction from the timeless road uniform.

The road uniform was the set that the White Sox mobbed each other on the field in when they won the World Series in 2005. Why remove something that will live on in White Sox history and fans' memories forever?

Thank you--

Brian26
11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I shot a scathing email off to Boyer last night about five minutes after I read this thread.

I wonder if they'll blame WSCR for this one too. Hey, the Score negotiates all jersey contracts as part of the new radio deal and there's just not enough money in the budget for the diamond sock this year.

Dibbs
11-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Just in case someone in the White Sox organization reads this thread, I want to let my opinion be known.

Horrible decision.

DaveFeelsRight
11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
doesn't matter, we're not going to see them much anyways. bet they're going stick with wearing black 97% of the time.

Thome25
11-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Nows the time to let your opinion be known about this change or anything else uniform-related just incase Brooks or someone else in the organization follows that link I sent to this thread.

GlassSox
11-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Terrible decision. :angry:

thomas35forever
11-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's my e-mail. Keep 'em coming, Sox fans! We're the reason this franchise exists!

Mr. Boyer:

It has come to my attention that the road grays are undergoing a change for next year although no official word has been released by the organization. If this is true, I would like you to please reconsider.

By next year's All-Star break, I'll have been a White Sox fan for 15 years. That means the only Sox uniforms I've ever known are the ones they have worn since then (discounting the sleeveless uniforms they wore for awhile, which I think should be brought back). While I know no uniform is being replaced completely, I feel this change, while seemingly minor, is a significant one. The diamond sock on the gray uniform along the "Chicago" script make this particular uniform unique. Replacing the diamond sock would cheapen the quality of the uniform in my opinion. It shows a lack of creativity.

It's only mid-November, so my guess is there's plenty of time to scrap these plans. It would be pretty sad to see Sox fans at U.S. Cellular Field next season wearing outdated gray jerseys. I don't want to see it. Keep the gray uniforms as they have been for the last 19 years so we can uphold a great tradition this franchise has.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Here's my contribution.

Dear Mr. Boyer,

As a White Sox fan since I could comprehend baseball (the early '90s), I have been fortunate enough to see my team not need to make any drastic changes to their uniforms. I've grown up with the Sox wearing the home pinstripes with the Old English "SOX" on the left chest, and the road greys with the iconic "Chicago" script and the diamond sock patch on it for as long as I can remember. The consensus of myself and most every Sox fan I encounter is that the Sox uniform set is one of the, if not the single, best in the majors today.

However, I found out that the diamond sock is being phased out for another "SOX" logo on the sleeve. I am very disappointed to hear this, as the diamond sock appears nowhere else on the uniform set, and to get rid of it would eliminate it entirely. I look at the diamond sock as one of the true symbols of the White Sox, as it is the only logo that has a physical representation of the team's nickname on it.

The White Sox have had little need to change their uniforms over the years. The fans are satisfied with what works, and the current set is classic, yet contemporary. I urge you to please reconsider the change. Thank you for listening to a fan's view.

mwc44
11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
:fail:

Thome25
11-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Here's my contribution.

The diamond sock patch is also on the black jersey and if I'm not mistaken will still be on this jersey but not the road greys.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-13-2010, 08:14 PM
The diamond sock patch is also on the black jersey and if I'm not mistaken will still be on this jersey but not the road greys.

Oh...ok, but still, the larger point stands.

Thome25
11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh...ok, but still, the larger point stands.

Yup.....glad you contributed.....keep 'em coming Sox fans. Let 'em know you're not happy.

LongLiveFisk
11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
:fail:

twinsuck
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM
What the hell is this??? This can't be true.

TheCommander
11-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I shot off an email to Brooks as well. Hopefully our voices will be heard and make a difference.

:churrosarmy:

Dub25
11-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I actually find the road uniform to be boring so the change really doesn't make it better or worse to me. Maybe they think the team logo instead of the diamond Sox will be a better seller to the gang bangers since they seem to like the team logo.

hi im skot
11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Why is everyone so into adding the diamond/sock patch to the home jersey? I love the logo, but it just seems forced on the home jersey.

Personally, I don't mind the lack of sleeve patches on the pinstripes...

MisterB
11-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Is there any official source confirming this change, or does it current only exist on Chris Creamer's site?

Dub25
11-13-2010, 10:21 PM

I love the black and I like that the starting pitcher decides what to wear.

Thome25
11-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Why is everyone so into adding the diamond/sock patch to the home jersey? I love the logo, but it just seems forced on the home jersey.

The home pinstripes had the Comiskey Park patch on the sleeve for years. I am one of the ones who thinks it would also look great with the diamond sock patch on it as well.

Can someone here at WSI who is good with photo shop please make us a pic of the home pinstripes with the diamond sock patch on one of the sleeves?

Dub25
11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I am most upset because that is the jersey they won the first World Series in forever....

Why change it?

:angry:

Now that is a good point.

DumpJerry
11-13-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that WSI is satisfied with current player roster for the first time in history.

hi im skot
11-13-2010, 10:26 PM
The home pinstripes had the Comiskey Park patch on the sleeve for years. I am one of the ones who thinks it would also look great with the diamond sock patch on it as well.

Can someone here at WSI who is good with photo shop please make us a pic of the home pinstripes with the diamond sock patch on one of the sleeves?

I loved the Comiskey patch, but I don't want a U.S. Cellular logo anywhere on a jersey.

I suck at Photoshop, but I've seen mock-ups with the diamond patch on the pinstripes, and I think it looks too busy.

hi im skot
11-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that WSI is satisfied with current player roster for the first time in history.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7uu95rd1u1qa9913o1_500.gif

PeteWard
11-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Road grays are among the classiest in baseball. I totally disapprove.

And still dislike the black jerseys at home and on road.

PeteWard
11-14-2010, 04:02 AM

Yes but the black jersey is terrible--esp. with the road gray pants.

Mohoney
11-14-2010, 06:37 AM
If it's jersey sales that they're after, I would propose a compromise. Bring back the diamond sock on the road grays, and wear a different throwback jersey at each Sunday home game.

dickallen15
11-14-2010, 06:56 AM
If this change is official, I doubt any letters to Brooks Boyer will be able to stop it from happening. I think you have to submit changes almost a year in advance, and I don't think there's any going back.

It is amazing a patch on a sleeve on a uniform they wear about 30 times a season means so much. I think the SOX logo is one of the best in sports. In reality, it will probably look better to a lot of people hating it when they actually see it than when its drawn up.

All in all, I don't think its a big deal, and if it turns out it is, it would probably only be for a season.

BTW, did anyone complain when the Sox changed the home uniforms for the 1997 season when they added names on the back? The uniforms have had a few alterations over the years. I think the only one that really had not was the road grays. The lettering is different on the black than when first introduced. There were the sleeveless, then the fake sleeveless. The Comiskey Park patches, then no patches. They had the Chicago flag on their helmets for a while. No names on the back, then names on the back of the home whites. This, if its true, is a very minor change. I think we should be more concerned about who's wearing the uniform with the new patch than the new patch itself.

The Dude
11-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Awful! :angry:

Chez
11-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Cancel the season. No, cancel all the road games.

Rohan
11-14-2010, 08:33 AM
It just rubs me the wrong way...

tstrike2000
11-14-2010, 09:17 AM
I sent Brooks an e-mail as well telling him of my, and many other fans disapproval removing the patch from the road sleeve. Will it make any difference? Probably not, but it's worth sending an e-mail anyway.

doublem23
11-14-2010, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't mind a patch, but yeah, I think the diamond sock logo would look out of place on the pinstripes.

Anyways, well, it's not that big of a deal I suppose, they only wear the road greys about 10 games all season.

http://dannycarlino.com/images/chicago%20white%20sox%20sock%20diamond%20gif%20log o%20reduced.gif
1990-2010

:rip:

doublem23
11-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I actually find the road uniform to be boring so the change really doesn't make it better or worse to me. Maybe they think the team logo instead of the diamond Sox will be a better seller to the gang bangers since they seem to like the team logo.

I don't even know where to begin with this one, but I can attest there aren't roaming bands of hoodlums sporting authentic Sox jerseys.

BadBobbyJenks
11-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Not a fan, but they only wear greys about 3 times a year anyway.

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't even know where to begin with this one, but I can attest there aren't roaming bands of hoodlums sporting authentic Sox jerseys.

You obviously haven't crossed paths with my crew, the Diamond Bag Boys.

C-Dawg
11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
BTW, did anyone complain when the Sox changed the home uniforms for the 1997 season when they added names on the back?

I was glad when they went back to having the names on the back.

LongLiveFisk
11-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I was glad when they went back to having the names on the back.

Me too. I was never a fan of the plain ones with just the number. IMO, there are some things retro that should not be brought back.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 04:55 PM
BTW, did anyone complain when the Sox changed the home uniforms for the 1997 season when they added names on the back? The uniforms have had a few alterations over the years. I think the only one that really had not was the road grays. The lettering is different on the black than when first introduced. There were the sleeveless, then the fake sleeveless. The Comiskey Park patches, then no patches. They had the Chicago flag on their helmets for a while. No names on the back, then names on the back of the home whites.

These are examples of minor changes that did not really change the original design. The names on the back of the home uniform and the extra silver outline on the lettering/numbers of the black jerseys were improvements.

This, if its true, is a very minor change. Well, I disagree. The diamond sock is a major design component of the original road jersey. It should never have been touched.

I think we should be more concerned about who's wearing the uniform with the new patch than the new patch itself.

I think it's ok for Sox fans to be sensitive and passionate about this issue based on the 25 years of garbage uniforms we endured from the late 60's to 1991.

windycityson
11-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Here is the email reply we received brom Brooks Boyer:

Guys,

I want to thank you all for your notes about the road uniforms. Although none of you are happy with the decision, I do appreciate the feedback, good or bad.

Hopefully, you all know each other, or, know of each other through the blogs. I hope you guys do not mind one response to all rather than the same response sent out to each of you.

We have talked quite a bit about the road greys for a few years after getting input from our players, staff and even some fans. The most alarming thing I received from a fan was the stat showing how little we are wearing our road greys in favor of the black uniforms. That is something we plan to correct going forward.

After looking at the road greys, we determined that the uniform should contain our main logo, our brand, and have decided to replace the flying sock with the White Sox primary S-O-X logo. This was one of several possible options.

I know this is not a popular decision with you guys and I am sorry to disappoint. In the eent any or all of you are at SoxFest, please find me if you would like to discuss further.

Again, I truly appreciate the feedback. Sorry this email response was not what you wanted to hear.

All the best,

Brooks

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Here is the email reply we received brom Brooks Boyer:

Guys,

I want to thank you all for your notes about the road uniforms. Although none of you are happy with the decision, I do appreciate the feedback, good or bad.

Hopefully, you all know each other, or, know of each other through the blogs. I hope you guys do not mind one response to all rather than the same response sent out to each of you.

We have talked quite a bit about the road greys for a few years after getting input from our players, staff and even some fans. The most alarming thing I received from a fan was the stat showing how little we are wearing our road greys in favor of the black uniforms. That is something we plan to correct going forward.

After looking at the road greys, we determined that the uniform should contain our main logo, our brand, and have decided to replace the flying sock with the White Sox primary S-O-X logo. This was one of several possible options.

I know this is not a popular decision with you guys and I am sorry to disappoint. In the eent any or all of you are at SoxFest, please find me if you would like to discuss further.

Again, I truly appreciate the feedback. Sorry this email response was not what you wanted to hear.

All the best,

Brooks

Fire Brooks.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Just got the same email.

This is really one of the stupidest decisions the team has ever made. It's insane. Even though the hat has the Sox "brand" on it, they think the jersey has to contain the Sox "brand" also? The hat is going to be worn on the field at the same time as the jersey, so what's the big deal? It becomes redundant at that point.

Or, are they worried that someone who sees a fan walking down the street wearing the road jersey won't be able to distinguish the jersey as a Chicago White Sox jersey even though it says "Chicago" across the front and has a white sock in a black diamond on the sleeve?

And how is the diamond sock not associated with the Sox brand? It's the physical representation of the team, a logo that is so popular that the Red Sox copied it.

As I said before, this screams of the White Sox hiring a marketing or graphic design person out of college (who has no sense of baseball history) who had nothing to work on last year so they gave her/him the assignment of updating the uniforms.

windycityson
11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Fire Brooks.

Mike Martz made this call!!!!:redneck

windycityson
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Just got the same email.

This is really one of the stupidest decisions the team has ever made. It's insane. Even though the hat has the Sox "brand" on it, they think the jersey has to contain the Sox "brand" also? The hat is going to be worn on the field at the same time as the jersey, so what's the big deal? It becomes redundant at that point.

Or, are they worried that someone who sees a fan walking down the street wearing the road jersey won't be able to distinguish the jersey as a Chicago White Sox jersey even though it says "Chicago" across the front and has a white sock in a black diamond on the sleeve?

And how is the diamond sock not associated with the Sox brand? It's the physical representation of the team, a logo that is so popular that the Red Sox copied it.

As I said before, this screams of the White Sox hiring a marketing or graphic design person out of college (who has no sense of baseball history) who had nothing to work on last year so they gave her/him the assignment of updating the uniforms.

Next we'll have the 'Chicago' script across the ass of our pants.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Fire Brooks.

I'll be honest with you. I liked what Brooks did when he came on board in '04 and some of the marketing stuff through 2005. But ever since then, beginning with the Rooney contract negotiation fiasco, he's been ****. And to be honest, the marketing credit should go to Two x Four, not Brooks.

This is the icing on the cake.

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Just got the same email.

The worst part is it's not even aesthetically pleasing.

Many teams have an "alternate" logo on their uniforms, so it's not like it's a concept that's exclusive to the White Sox.

This is just a braindead decision. Leave it to the Sox to "fix" what's not broken.

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll be honest with you. I liked what Brooks did when he came on board in '04 and some of the marketing stuff through 2005. But ever since then, beginning with the Rooney contract negotiation fiasco, he's been ****. And to be honest, the marketing credit should go to Two x Four, not Brooks.

This is the icing on the cake.

The way the Nancy situation was handled was atrocious, too.

God, I long for the days of Two x Four. Sox marketing is a joke.

thomas35forever
11-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Just read the e-mail and I can't believe so few people actually e-mailed him about this.

Anyway, I guess there's nothing more we can do. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing the blacks as our exclusive road uniform from now on.

Soxman219
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't like it. The best jersey in baseball doesn't need a change! Why??????????

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
When the going gets tough, the tough create Facebook groups.

I'm on it now, and will post the link momentarily.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 05:59 PM
When the going gets tough, the tough create Facebook groups.

I'm on it now, and will post the link momentarily.

But, hey, it's assumed we're all going to be at Soxfest, so maybe we can pay a couple of hundred dollars to go tell him in person what a dumbass decision it is.

I also like how its portrayed that the players had a problem with the diamond sock:

We have talked quite a bit about the road greys for a few years after getting input from our players, staff and even some fans.

Like Joey Cora and Freddy Garcia are sitting around bitching about the jerseys. :rolleyes:

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Here's the group I just started (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-the-Diamond-Sock-patch/112169058848550?v=page_getting_started#%21/pages/Bring-back-the-Diamond-Sock-patch/112169058848550?v=page_getting_started).

Feel free to "Like" it on Facebook. If it picks up enough steam, maybe the bigwigs will take notice.

Red Barchetta
11-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't like it. The best jersey in baseball doesn't need a change! Why??????????

I wonder if this has something to do with the MLB revenue split on merchandising. During the Jordan era, the Bulls changed their red road jerseys with "Chicago" script to say "Bulls". I had read at the time, this ensures the Bulls receive payment for their use of the copyright on any type of generic video game, etc. Sort of like when you see Yankees players endorsing products in stock pinstripe uniforms.

This way the "SOX" logo appears on all three jerseys, therefore the generic "Chicago" cannot be used on any type of promotions, etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into Brooks' comments, however whenever he mentions "brand", I believe he has an alterior motive. I can't believe as the VP of Marketing, he didn't realize how little the road greys were actually worn. My wife is a casual fan and she even noticed as she did not recognize them in their road greys.

I agree that when he first came on the scene with the "us vs. them" marketing campaign, it was a breath of fresh air. However it now seems like I'm going to an outdoor basketball game.

tstrike2000
11-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Just got the same email.

Yeah, I was also one of the people who got that same e-mail. Boo to Brooks' response.

tstrike2000
11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Here's the group I just started (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-the-Diamond-Sock-patch/112169058848550?v=page_getting_started#%21/pages/Bring-back-the-Diamond-Sock-patch/112169058848550?v=page_getting_started).

Feel free to "Like" it on Facebook. If it picks up enough steam, maybe the bigwigs will take notice.

Skot, just liked. :D:

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Skot, just liked. :D:

Thanks to you and everyone else who has joined the cause!

hi im skot
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I just liked the FB group as well. I tried to click the link to the MLB uniform page got a forbidden access screen. FYI.

Weird, it seems to be working OK for me. Which link were you clicking?

Jitterbug Boy
11-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I just tried it in a different browser and it worked. Nevermind. Nice work....

Marqhead
11-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I just tried it in a different browser and it worked. Nevermind. Nice work....

I'm getting a forbidden message as well.

Also liked the FB page. We need support!

DickAllen72
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
So Brook's response was just a plug for Soxfest.

Yeah Brooks, I'm ordering my tickets for Soxfest right now so we can discuss a bad decision you have no intention of changing anyway. :redneck

soxfanatlanta
11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
That's it...I'm done with them

dickallen15
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Just got the same email.

Wow, a patch on their sleeve going from a sock to the team's main logo one of the stupidest decisions the team ever made? I think that's a little overboard.

I would bet that had the patch been on the sleeve since these uniforms started being used was the main logo, and they decided to switch to the flying sock, the number of complaints and the complainers would be identical.

dickallen15
11-14-2010, 07:50 PM
But, hey, it's assumed we're all going to be at Soxfest, so maybe we can pay a couple of hundred dollars to go tell him in person what a dumbass decision it is.

I also like how its portrayed that the players had a problem with the diamond sock:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

Like Joey Cora and Freddy Garcia are sitting around bitching about the jerseys. :rolleyes:
They bitched about organ music, and got the canned.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I would bet that had the patch been on the sleeve since these uniforms started being used was the main logo, and they decided to switch to the flying sock, the number of complaints and the complainers would be identical.

Who's talking about a flying sock?

LongLiveFisk
11-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks to you and everyone else who has joined the cause!

I joined.

Thome25
11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Un-****ing-believeable response from Brooks. Use of the word "brand" tells me this is purely a business decision whether it's to sell more jerseys or get royalties from the use of the "S-O-X" logo in print and video games etc.

Never thought I'd say this but, Brooks is just another corporate sellout. Thought he had our backs and actually cared about the fans. Shame on you Brooks and shame on me for thinking any differently about you.

I joined the facebook cause btw. :angry:

Red Barchetta
11-14-2010, 08:11 PM

I just "liked"! Thanks for doing this! :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
If this is purely a business decision that will bring more money to the organization, it can't be all bad, can it? More money to the organization means more money for payroll.

We don't have to like it - I don't like it - but let's not let our justifiable and understandable anger over a decision turn into personal vitriol aimed at Brooks or the organization.

Hate the decision, not the decision-maker.

chisoxfanatic
11-14-2010, 08:36 PM

I just liked it.

johnnyg83
11-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Man, I'd hate to have some of you guys as parents. It's a minor uniform choice, it's not unbelievable. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Yet some folks take a chang of patch on a uniform sleeve as some kind of betrayal. Come on.

nd I don't like it btw. And I'm obsessed with uniforms.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 09:42 PM
It makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

No it doesn't. You guys are grasping for straws on this, and maybe Brooks is also. He seems to be talking out of his ass lately to cover his boneheaded mistakes.

No one has explained how taking the patch off is going to create more money for the organization. The diamond sock logo and the "Chicago" script lettering are both trademarked by the Chicago White Sox. If you go to Chris Creamer's site, you'll see both images with the "TM" next to them. The Sox aren't going to make any more money with the old english SOX on their sleeve as they would with the traditional sock patch.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=9h9ly3yh0u3nht25vg1zn68eq
http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=fmxwhl7ths305rlknb3oqb8j8

As for video games, if it's a licensed game by MLB, then the players uniform and hat are usually shown anyway. If it's an unlicensed video game, the uniform and hat can't be shown. Not even sure why this would come up since a Sox player hasn't appeared on a video game since around the days of the Super NES.

BleacherBandit
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Seems to me like they're trying to consolidate their brand, or if you're adverse to calling it brand, their identity. Nothing wrong with that, although it would hurt less if the logo they were getting rid of sucked.

Domeshot17
11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Personally don't think it matters a ton. Itll look bad in a drawing, and better in person, and we'll get used to it.

Domeshot17
11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
No it doesn't. You guys are grasping for straws on this, and maybe Brooks is also. He seems to be talking out of his ass lately to cover his boneheaded mistakes.

No one has explained how taking the patch off is going to create more money for the organization. The diamond sock logo and the "Chicago" script lettering are both trademarked by the Chicago White Sox. If you go to Chris Creamer's site, you'll see both images with the "TM" next to them. The Sox aren't going to make any more money with the old english SOX on their sleeve as they would with the traditional sock patch.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=9h9ly3yh0u3nht25vg1zn68eq
http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=fmxwhl7ths305rlknb3oqb8j8

As for video games, if it's a licensed game by MLB, then the players uniform and hat are usually shown anyway. If it's an unlicensed video game, the uniform and hat can't be shown. Not even sure why this would come up since a Sox player hasn't appeared on a video game since around the days of the Super NES.

From a marketing standpoint, moving to the popular logo could in theory help with Brand Recognition. However, here, I don't really see it happening. The hope may be to sell more road style gear, but the road uniform is pretty boring and bland in general. That won't help sales. I like it, but it isn't going to jump out. I would guess its the 3rd most popular jersey in sales behind the pin stripes and the black.

I just don't see the change here doing what they want it too.

soxfanreggie
11-14-2010, 11:05 PM
If this is purely a business decision that will bring more money to the organization, it can't be all bad, can it? More money to the organization means more money for payroll.

We don't have to like it - I don't like it - but let's not let our justifiable and understandable anger over a decision turn into personal vitriol aimed at Brooks or the organization.

Hate the decision, not the decision-maker.

I don't hate Brooks or the person who gave final sign-off to this as a "person," but as a business decision (or whatever brand crap they want to say), it's horrible. There are people I have to fire that I like as people, but I have to hold them responsible for their business decisions. In this case, the decision is one I strongly dislike and would support negative feedback given to the person making the decision as part of a performance review. (although we know this won't cost anyone a job...unless it's at the store trying to peddle this jersey that I and now seemingly many others will not buy).

gogosox675
11-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I joined! Hopefully enough people will join and the Sox brass will notice that they've upset quite a few people.

doublem23
11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
You obviously haven't crossed paths with my crew, the Diamond Bag Boys.

If you guys aren't wearing knock-offs, you're getting duped my friend. You could slash your expenses by 50%!

Nellie_Fox
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
...the extra silver outline on the lettering/numbers of the black jerseys were improvements.I disagree. The numbers and lettering on the black jersey are damn near impossible to read from any distance. They didn't used to be.

As for the change on the road uni, I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm not whipped into a frenzy against it either. Not a big deal.

hi im skot
11-15-2010, 12:00 AM
From a marketing standpoint, moving to the popular logo could in theory help with Brand Recognition. However, here, I don't really see it happening. The hope may be to sell more road style gear, but the road uniform is pretty boring and bland in general. That won't help sales. I like it, but it isn't going to jump out. I would guess its the 3rd most popular jersey in sales behind the pin stripes and the black.

I just don't see the change here doing what they want it too.

You're probably right, and one of the major reasons is that over the past two seasons, MLB hasn't sold a "replica" version of the road jersey.

And even if they introduce one this season, it won't really matter - the replica jerseys never include any of the sleeve patches.

By the way, I passed the info along to the wonderful Sox Machine (http://soxmachine.com/2010/11/14/sock-removed-sox-added-to-road-gray-jersey/), so the word is getting out.

hi im skot
11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Man, I'd hate to have some of you guys as parents. It's a minor uniform choice, it's not unbelievable. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Yet some folks take a chang of patch on a uniform sleeve as some kind of betrayal. Come on.

nd I don't like it btw. And I'm obsessed with uniforms.

I'm not giving up my fandom over a sleeve patch. As others have stated, it's simply one of many dumb marketing decisions made by the Sox over the past five or so years.

dickallen15
11-15-2010, 07:26 AM
You're probably right, and one of the major reasons is that over the past two seasons, MLB hasn't sold a "replica" version of the road jersey.

And even if they introduce one this season, it won't really matter - the replica jerseys never include any of the sleeve patches.

By the way, I passed the info along to the wonderful Sox Machine (http://soxmachine.com/2010/11/14/sock-removed-sox-added-to-road-gray-jersey/), so the word is getting out.

So no one was buying the gray road jerseys with the diamond sock, and now they are going to make a slight change to them?

How is that a dumb decision?

hi im skot
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
So no one was buying the gray road jerseys with the diamond sock, and now they are going to make a slight change to them?

How is that a dumb decision?

I think you missed my point.

The road jersey isn't as popular when it comes to merchandise sales because it's simply not available as a replica. Of course it's not going to move as many units - it doesn't exist as a cheaper alternative to the $200 authentic.

TheOldRoman
11-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Un-****ing-believeable response from Brooks. Use of the word "brand" tells me this is purely a business decision whether it's to sell more jerseys or get royalties from the use of the "S-O-X" logo in print and video games etc.

Never thought I'd say this but, Brooks is just another corporate sellout. Thought he had our backs and actually cared about the fans. Shame on you Brooks and shame on me for thinking any differently about you.

I joined the facebook cause btw. :angry:First off, this won't sell more jerseys. The road gray is my favorite Sox jersey. I have one already. Even if I liked this new patch, I wouldn't run out to buy a new jersey because the change is minimal.

As I knew before, this is 100% about "branding". Some morons inside the marketing department decided this is the way to "get the brand out" more. As if someone would see the team wearing black and gray with a Sox hat and a diamond sock patch and think it was the Cubs. They decided that every jersey needed the Sox logo on it. It's a good thing these marketing savants weren't hired by the Bears, maybe they would slap a big "CHICAGO BEARS" across the jersey chest in bold letters because "we want people to know who we are." Maybe people might confuse the Sox logo for the Red Sox. Just to be safe, they'd better put the Chicago script in a patch on the home and black jerseys, too. In fact, let's replace all player names with CHICAGO WHITE SOX. That'll do.

I agree that Brooks made a big splash when he came in but has done nothing but regress since then. Part of the reason we thought he was so great was because his predecessor, Rob Gallas was an incompetent boob who had the level of understanding of people as someone who was raised by wolves. Anyone would be an improvement over him. This jersey change might take the cake for Brooks. This is worse than the South Side of Chicago Board of Tourism, and that says a lot.

hi im skot
11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
By the way, a nice write-up on Uni Watch (http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2010/11/15/monday-morning-uni-watch-57/#comments) today.

It's nice to see that even non-Sox fans recognize that this is a silly idea.

g0g0
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry to see it go and I agree that the Sox script will look bad on the sleeve. The worst part is the WHITE Sox won't have any white socks on them anywhere now!

LongLiveFisk
11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Sorry to see it go and I agree that the Sox script will look bad on the sleeve. The worst part is the WHITE Sox won't have any white socks on them anywhere now!

That's actually my biggest pet peeve. It's the team name; why not represent it? Even the players wear BLACK socks!

goon
11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
awful.

eriqjaffe
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
That's actually my biggest pet peeve. It's the team name; why not represent it? Even the players wear BLACK socks!You can only see it on a few players anyways.

esbrechtel
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
You can only see it on a few players anyways.

Thats the reason they traded for Juan Pierre....:redneck

soltrain21
11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Brooks mentioned in his email that there were several other options. I'd really, really like to know what those options were.

LongLiveFisk
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Brooks mentioned in his email that their were several other options. I'd really, really like to know what those options were.

:hawk

One of them was my smiling face.

Ex-Chicagoan
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
As for the change on the road uni, I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm not whipped into a frenzy against it either. Not a big deal.

I concur.

Thome25
11-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Not entirely true. The word "S-O-X" is white on the caps and the black jerseys. By that design, the do have "White Sox" represented on their uniform.

We are forgetting that the diamond sock patch isnt gone completely and will still be on the sleeve of the black jerseys

TheOldRoman
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
We are forgetting that the diamond sock patch isnt gone completely and will still be on the sleeve of the black jerseysThat makes this slap-dash buffoonery even worse. Each of the three uniforms will have a different sleeve setup. No patch on the white, Sox logo on the gray, diamond on the black.

doublem23
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Well, we still have the white interlocked SOX logo on the hat.

downstairs
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Brooks mentioned in his email that there were several other options. I'd really, really like to know what those options were.

Me too. The only things I could ever think of is the diamond logo or the Sox logo. They don't have any other official logos do they?

I guess the other options could have been new logos. Or maybe the Sox logo in a diamond?

g0g0
11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Not entirely true. The word "S-O-X" is white on the caps and the black jerseys. By that design, the do have "White Sox" represented on their uniform.

We are forgetting that the diamond sock patch isnt gone completely and will still be on the sleeve of the black jerseys

Well, we still have the white interlocked SOX logo on the hat.

I was talking an actual representation of a white sock as they don't use white socks as part of their uniform. Not just having the color white represented. Sorry to confuse.

Hitmen77
11-15-2010, 04:39 PM

I concur.

Same here.

MarkM2112
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Not entirely true... they still wear white sanitary socks...:rolleyes:

anewman35
11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
People have seriously got to get a grip on reality. I love the diamond Sox patch, I do, but this is NOT A BIG DEAL. 99% of fans will never even notice the change, and the patch is still on the alt uniforms, so it's not as if that logo is no longer going to be a part of the Sox identity going forwards. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't see the point of doing this, but, again, IT DOESN'T MATTER. There was no reason to change anything, true, but on the overall scale of things that could have been changed it could have been much worse.

It's one small portion of a uniform you'll see maybe 50 or 60 times a year. I think we can survive.

soltrain21
11-15-2010, 09:26 PM
People have seriously got to get a grip on reality. I love the diamond Sox patch, I do, but this is NOT A BIG DEAL. 99% of fans will never even notice the change, and the patch is still on the alt uniforms, so it's not as if that logo is no longer going to be a part of the Sox identity going forwards. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't see the point of doing this, but, again, IT DOESN'T MATTER. There was no reason to change anything, true, but on the overall scale of things that could have been changed it could have been much worse.

It's one small portion of a uniform you'll see maybe 50 or 60 times a year. I think we can survive.

I have a tremendous grip on reality. Even as minor as it is, it's still a bad idea. And really, what the hell else are we going to talk about right now?

anewman35
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a tremendous grip on reality. Even as minor as it is, it's still a bad idea. And really, what the hell else are we going to talk about right now?

It's a bad idea, but it's not one of the worst ideas the Sox have ever done like some people seem to think. It's not as if they're completely changing uniforms, something at that one point in Sox history was quite common.

Dub25
11-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Just got the same email.

Really? We are talking about a uniform. I could care less what they look like as long as they win. Is this even dumber than the whiteflag trade???

soltrain21
11-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Really? We are talking about a uniform. I could care less what they look like as long as they win. Is this even dumber than the whiteflag trade???

Good thing he said "one of the stupidiest."

Moses_Scurry
11-16-2010, 07:07 AM
:lsox

It could have been a black and white version of this. I don't see why people are so up-in-arms about this. It will be forgotten halfway through the next season, especially since the grey uniforms aren't worn very often and are never worn at home.

LongLiveFisk
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
:lsox

It could have been a black and white version of this. I don't see why people are so up-in-arms about this. It will be forgotten halfway through the next season, especially since the grey uniforms aren't worn very often and are never worn at home.

Brooks said in his reply that's going to change.

esbrechtel
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Brooks said in his reply that's going to change.

Exactly, how many times has this joke been hashed in this thread? Boyer said they will not be wearing the blacks as much this season...

Procol Harum
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Perhaps the worst thing to ever happen, ever. Seriously, I don't like the change, but our uniforms have been served more barbarously in the past--this is pretty small potatoes compared to some of the things they've made our guys wear over the years.

salty99
11-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Exactly, how many times has this joke been hashed in this thread? Boyer said they will not be wearing the blacks as much this season...

I am curious though, who exactly picks what uniform is worn on which day? Does Brooks really have that much control over it?

ewokpelts
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I am curious though, who exactly picks what uniform is worn on which day? Does Brooks really have that much control over it?as it stands now, the starting pitcher

salty99
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
as it stands now, the starting pitcher

So in reality Brooks can't really say if the road unis will be worn more next year.

esbrechtel
11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
So in reality Brooks can't really say if the road unis will be worn more next year.

He can change the rule or can influence them to change the rule on who gets to pick....:dunno:

doublem23
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Maybe that's going to change next year, too.

salty99
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe that's going to change next year, too.

Yes I guess that's another question that can be asked at Soxfest. I just doubt that the marketing director can overrule say a Mark Buehrle who wants to wear the black uniforms on a certain date.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2010, 01:36 PM
His reply indicated that they had discussed this. The marketing director, I'm quite certain, cannot dictate anything about uniforms. I'm sure a consensus was reached, and someone with the authority is going to enact a change of policy.

salty99
11-16-2010, 01:40 PM
His reply indicated that they had discussed this. The marketing director, I'm quite certain, cannot dictate anything about uniforms. I'm sure a consensus was reached, and someone with the authority is going to enact a change of policy.

Ok good because the black uniforms are my least favorite. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Red Barchetta
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

I agree and I hope someone with authority does make this change. If they can manage hair lenth, facial hair, etc., they should easily be able to dictate the uniforms. Perhaps up until now it has not been that big of a deal, however I really would like to see the alternates become alternates again.

I remember when they first started wearing them on Sundays at home. At that time, I thought they were really cool. If my memory is correct, I think Alex Fernandez was pitching the first time they were worn. This was before they added the grey trim and the buttons were clear (which looked white) and not black.

I would like to see the home pinstripes worn on every home game and then a new SOX alternate black with no grey/white arm trim to better match the home pinstripe pants worn every Sunday. Then do the same for the road games where the grey tops are worn every road game except on Sundays when they were the black alternate with the grey/white arm trim. Perhaps add the same Chicago script as the road jerseys.

I think that would move more merchandise than simply changing the arm sleeve patch.

TheOldRoman
11-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I think that would move more merchandise than simply changing the arm sleeve patch.It isn't about merchandise sales. It is about inundating us with the Sox logo. The marketing department made a decision that the Sox logo needed to be seen more and decided all jerseys needed to have the logo on them. I'm surprised they didn't completely **** up and slap a big Sox patch on the chest instead of the Chicago script.

soltrain21
11-16-2010, 02:52 PM
It isn't about merchandise sales. It is about inundating us with the Sox logo. The marketing department made a decision that the Sox logo needed to be seen more and decided all jerseys needed to have the logo on them. I'm surprised they didn't completely **** up and slap a big Sox patch on the chest instead of the Chicago script.

The Nationals did just that this year. Every uniform has the script W, and it looks completely awful.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-16-2010, 03:31 PM
It isn't about merchandise sales. It is about inundating us with the Sox logo.

The Sox logo is very prominent EVERYWHERE in the ballpark when they're at home(as well as the historical logos).
The Sox logo is prominent on the hats, jackets, hoodies & batting helmets worn by the Sox when they're on the road.

Do we really need to **** up a classic road look to show us what team we're watching? I think Brooks missed the point on this one. The road grays are an awesome uniform as they stand, but when they never get worn I guess it's easy to assume you can change them without anyone noticing.

BRING BACK THE SOCK.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2010, 03:34 PM
170 posts about a sleeve patch. Yep, it's the off-season. :tongue:

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
170 posts about a sleeve patch. Yep, it's the off-season. :tongue:

If the patch change was about adding a churro outline, this thread would get more hits than the Cubune headline legacy. :D:

Brian26
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I agree that Brooks made a big splash when he came in but has done nothing but regress since then. Part of the reason we thought he was so great was because his predecessor, Rob Gallas was an incompetent boob who had the level of understanding of people as someone who was raised by wolves. Anyone would be an improvement over him. This jersey change might take the cake for Brooks. This is worse than the South Side of Chicago Board of Tourism, and that says a lot.

The irony, of course, is that Gallas' lasting mark on the organization (and really his greatest triumph) was fixing the uniforms in 1990 after decades of being the laughing stock of baseball.

chisox12
11-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow that is awful. It doesn't really mater though since they rarely wear these jerseys...always seem to wear the terrible black alternates on the road.

dickallen15
11-16-2010, 09:26 PM
The irony, of course, is that Gallas' lasting mark on the organization (and really his greatest triumph) was fixing the uniforms in 1990 after decades of being the laughing stock of baseball.
You're passionate about it, I'll give you that, but you are really exaggerating again. Maybe the Bill Veeck uniforms were laughable. Maybe the spacesuits were laughable although I see a ton of people wearing them every game I go to, but what other uniforms have the Sox worn that made them the laughingstock of baseball? The 87-90 uniforms weren't anything to write home about, but were pretty generic and a lot of teams basically wore the same style just different colors. The A's still do I believe and I don't think anyone is crying because they are laughing so hard because of their awful uniforms. The unis before 1976 were pretty sweet IMO.

In the end, this whole thing is about a patch that I'm sure won't look so bad when you actually see it on a player.

Lip Man 1
11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Brian:

Jeff Torborg had more to do with the uniforms in 1990 than Rob Gallas.

Torborg told me from the moment he was hired he went to work explaining to the Sox brass that a copy of the Dodgers uniform didn't look good and wasn't connected with the franchise. JR told him that he designed the uniforms (which makes sense) but Torborg despite the awkwardness of the situation plowed ahead.

It took him, he said, a year to get the go ahead but he finally got it and he helped design the new ones wanting something that fans could associate with. That's why the basic design of the uniform the Sox wore from 1951 through 1963 (or 1964 I don't remember) was used.

Torborg also said in addition to the black pinstriped uniform modeled on the 1959 pennant winners they had a blue pinstriped one modeled after the tremendous Sox teams of the mid 1960's that was being considered.

Lip

Brian26
11-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Brian:

Jeff Torborg had more to do with the uniforms in 1990 than Rob Gallas.

Torborg told me from the moment he was hired he went to work explaining to the Sox brass that a copy of the Dodgers uniform didn't look good and wasn't connected with the franchise. JR told him that he designed the uniforms (which makes sense) but Torborg despite the awkwardness of the situation plowed ahead.

It took him, he said, a year to get the go ahead but he finally got it and he helped design the new ones wanting something that fans could associate with. That's why the basic design of the uniform the Sox wore from 1951 through 1963 (or 1964 I don't remember) was used.

Torborg also said in addition to the black pinstriped uniform modeled on the 1959 pennant winners they had a blue pinstriped one modeled after the tremendous Sox teams of the mid 1960's that was being considered.

Lip

Great stuff, Lip. I still have a VHS somewhere of Torborg and Paciorek unveiling the new uniforms in 1990 on White Sox Weekly.

Red Barchetta
11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Great stuff, Lip. I still have a VHS somewhere of Torborg and Paciorek unveiling the new uniforms in 1990 on White Sox Weekly.

I also remember the Chicago papers unveiling the uniforms with Torborg, Guillen and Fisk.

Interesting story about Torborg's influence, however I don't buy into the comment that JR designed the uniforms from the late 80s. Weren't they a throwback to the White Sox script uniforms from earlier in franchise history? I now the Einhorn "C" on the cap was new, however the SOX had similar looking uniforms, (without numbers on the pants) :rolleyes: earlier.

I also agree that with the exception of the 1976-era pajamas/shorts and the 1893 softball uniforms, the many SOX uniforms over the years have been very tasteful. Even the 1983/LaRussa era uniforms were considered nice at the time. However like disco and manperms, they showed their age quickly.

Lip Man 1
11-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Red:

I can only tell you what Torborg told me directly in the conversation, that JR told him he designed the uniforms based on the Dodgers model. JR was a huge fan of the Dodgers and admitted the seats in the new park were originally Dodger Blue as a tribute to them. It would make sense that he also designed the uniforms based on the same love.

Torborg told me he told JR that the only team those uniforms look good on are the Dodgers and again pointed out that uniform design had no connection to the White Sox franshise, their history or the fans.

Take it for whatever that may be worth to you.

Lip

Foulke You
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Red:

I can only tell you what Torborg told me directly in the conversation, that JR told him he designed the uniforms based on the Dodgers model. JR was a huge fan of the Dodgers and admitted the seats in the new park were originally Dodger Blue as a tribute to them. It would make sense that he also designed the uniforms based on the same love.

Torborg told me he told JR that the only team those uniforms look good on are the Dodgers and again pointed out that uniform design had no connection to the White Sox franshise, their history or the fans.

Lip
Thanks Lip, I had never heard that story before. I guess we owe Torborg a debt of thanks because I love our current uniforms and rank all 3 of them among the best in the game. A field manager really shouldn't have to remind the ownership and marketing dept. of the rich history behind one of the AL's charter franchises but I guess it's not how you get to point B that matters.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Interesting story about Torborg's influence, however I don't buy into the comment that JR designed the uniforms from the late 80s. Weren't they a throwback to the White Sox script uniforms from earlier in franchise history? I now the Einhorn "C" on the cap was new, however the SOX had similar looking uniforms, (without numbers on the pants) :rolleyes: earlier.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1942_chicago.gif

Red Barchetta
11-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Red:

Lip

Lip, I'm not denying your conversation with Torborg, I just think JR is dilusional if he thinks his design was unique and patterned after the Dodgers. I don't really think the White SOX script resembled the Dodgers any more than the current Athletics or Orioles jersey scripts resemble the Dodgers. Especially since the SOX already had a very similar jersey in 1942 (above post). Now the Royals, that's a different story!

First I heard about the Dodger blue seats. The more information that comes out from the Comiskey II era, the more I feel that JR simply wanted things his way regardless of the input he received at the time. At the time of Comiskey II opening, the SOX were already on their 4th series of uniforms since JR took over the team. I'm glad they finally decided to stick with a logo and color scheme that works.

ewokpelts
11-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Lip, I'm not denying your conversation with Torborg, I just think JR is dilusional if he thinks his design was unique and patterned after the Dodgers. I don't really think the White SOX script resembled the Dodgers any more than the current Athletics or Orioles jersey scripts resemble the Dodgers. Especially since the SOX already had a very similar jersey in 1942 (above post).

First I heard about the Dodger blue seats. The more information that comes out from the Comiskey II era, the more I feel that JR simply wanted things his way regardless of the input he received at the time. At the time of Comiskey II opening, the SOX were already on their 4th series of uniforms since JR took over the team. I'm glad they finally decided to stick with a logo and color scheme that works.I heard the blue seats were more about costs than the dodgers.

The story I got was that the Seat manufactuer made 10,000 too many seats for the Skydome, and offered them at a steep discount to the sox (who were planning to go green with thier seats).
This seems more legit, as there are plenty of reports of corners being cut at Comiskey II due to the state cutting the budget.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Red:

Just my opinion but I don't think JR thought his design was "unique" particularly but he did use the same lettering style across the front of the jersey as the Dodgers with the same lettering and only used the last name written out.

That's where I think he felt the connection happened.

Yes Comiskey Park II came in under budget part of the reason many fans were upset over the sterility of the place originally. Again I can only tell you what he man has said in the past that the seats were blue as a tribute to the Dodger franchise.

This past July for the first time I got to meet JR briefly on the field in pre game BP. He seemed like a very friendly guy not stand-offish at all. The folks that I've spoken to in the organization all love the guy for his passion and loyalty. That doesn't mean he hasn't made some of the worst decisions in the history of the franchise but even I have to admit he's not evil incarnate.

I also got the chance to see his office and I've got to tell you there is probably as much Dodger material in it as White Sox stuff. He actually has seats from Ebbets Field in it for example as well as a Dodger uniform from I guess out of the 30's or 40's.

If I had to guess I'd say he probably loves the Dodgers and has a deeper connection to them than even the White Sox. The Dodgers were a huge part of his youth.

When he leaves the scene it will be very, very interesting to see how history looks back at his tenure.

Lip

soxinem1
11-17-2010, 05:30 PM
If this is true, it's a complete disaster.

Kinda trying to figure out why we have to fix what is not broken.

Between all the variations of unis we have, do we really need to settle on this?

Red Barchetta
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Red:

Just my opinion but I don't think JR thought his design was "unique" particularly but he did use the same lettering style across the front of the jersey as the Dodgers with the same lettering and only used the last name written out.

That's where I think he felt the connection happened.

Yes Comiskey Park II came in under budget part of the reason many fans were upset over the sterility of the place originally. Again I can only tell you what he man has said in the past that the seats were blue as a tribute to the Dodger franchise.

This past July for the first time I got to meet JR briefly on the field in pre game BP. He seemed like a very friendly guy not stand-offish at all. The folks that I've spoken to in the organization all love the guy for his passion and loyalty. That doesn't mean he hasn't made some of the worst decisions in the history of the franchise but even I have to admit he's not evil incarnate.

I also got the chance to see his office and I've got to tell you there is probably as much Dodger material in it as White Sox stuff. He actually has seats from Ebbets Field in it for example as well as a Dodger uniform from I guess out of the 30's or 40's.

If I had to guess I'd say he probably loves the Dodgers and has a deeper connection to them than even the White Sox. The Dodgers were a huge part of his youth.

When he leaves the scene it will be very, very interesting to see how history looks back at his tenure.

Lip

Well so far, the man has 7 championships for the city of Chicago. The naysayers who claim he got lucky because of Jordan, should realize that it's not easy to build a championship team around a superstar so it is indeed an accomplishment.

I have met JR and spoken to him on a handful of occassions both when the SOX had ST in Tucson and in Chicago as I shared a season ticket package with the son of one of the original investors. He is very personable and very loyal to his employees. Sometimes, perhaps too loyal.

In the end, he is a smart business man. He will not overspend and he keeps to the budget. I knew he was a (Brooklyn) Dodgers fan growing up, however I never knew he chose blue seats as a tribute to them. I had always thought it was because he wanted Comiskey II to have a more modern look. I now he was very excited when the SOX closed the US Cellular deal as the renovation project/ballpark sponsorship had been on the table for a few years and had other various corporations passing on the opportunity. I think Household Financial was one of the names tossed around.

Brian26
11-17-2010, 07:24 PM

They showed a little bit of Jerry's office on The Club. Looked amazing...like a museum.

ewokpelts
11-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Well so far, the man has 7 championships for the city of Chicago. The naysayers who claim he got lucky because of Jordan, should realize that it's not easy to build a championship team around a superstar so it is indeed an accomplishment.

I have met JR and spoken to him on a handful of occassions both when the SOX had ST in Tucson and in Chicago as I shared a season ticket package with the son of one of the original investors. He is very personable and very loyal to his employees. Sometimes, perhaps too loyal.

In the end, he is a smart business man. He will not overspend and he keeps to the budget. I knew he was a (Brooklyn) Dodgers fan growing up, however I never knew he chose blue seats as a tribute to them. I had always thought it was because he wanted Comiskey II to have a more modern look. I now he was very excited when the SOX closed the US Cellular deal as the renovation project/ballpark sponsorship had been on the table for a few years and had other various corporations passing on the opportunity. I think Household Financial was one of the names tossed around.Dodger stadium dosent have blue seats. nor did ebbets field.

the "hey! who wants 10,000 cheap blue seats for thier new ballpark?' theory makes more sense.

Red Barchetta
11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Dodger stadium dosent have blue seats. nor did ebbets field.

the "hey! who wants 10,000 cheap blue seats for thier new ballpark?' theory makes more sense.

I guess the blue was a tribute to "Dodger Blue" vs. Dodger Stadium or Ebbets Field seat colors.

Speaking of blue, didn't JR try to buy the Cubs first?

Lip Man 1
11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Red:

No, JR was originally part of a group trying to get the Mets. Einhorn the Padres.

Lip

Foulke You
11-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Dodger stadium dosent have blue seats. nor did ebbets field.

I'm thinking it was probably a little of both are true. He got his Dodger color and also saved money to boot.

FloridaTigers
11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't see why you all are upset by this. You guys stopped wearing the gray away unis a long time ago anyways. :scratch:

eriqjaffe
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Dodger stadium dosent have blue seats.Sure it does. I've sat in them plenty of times.

http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/LA/dodger-stadium-pic.jpg

Lip Man 1
11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Florida:

Incorrect...they don't wear them as often but they still do wear them.

Lip

BRDSR
11-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow...I don't frequent my message boards much in the offseason, so sorry I'm a little late to this party, but...I can't believe the negative reaction to this. This just is not a big deal to me. Only really care who's wearing the jersey and whether they're playing well or not.

Brian26
11-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Wow...I don't frequent my message boards much in the offseason, so sorry I'm a little late to this party, but...I can't believe the negative reaction to this. This just is not a big deal to me. Only really care who's wearing the jersey and whether they're playing well or not.

Well that settles it. Let's go back to this **** then. Who cares about the jerseys. :clap:

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/a4f5346d8a65bcee3c98062df04acc80.jpg

samurai_sox
11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
It screams of the Sox hiring some 22-yr old marketing kid out of college, with no sense of history, who needed something to work on this year, so they gave him/her the job of revamping the jerseys.

Somewhere down in my basement, I have an old VHS tape with "White Sox Weekly" shows from 1990. This was a half hour show that used to air on SportsChannel during the season, with Tom Paciorek hosting and Jeff Torborg (manager at the time) sitting alongside. I still have the episode saved from July of 1990 when this road uniform was first unveiled. It came out of nowhere, as I wasn't expecting it, but it blew me away when I first saw the jersey. Torborg was sitting on the field with Paciorek, and Torborg had the full uniform on. He talked about how classy the uniform looked with the black hat with the old english S-O-X down to the detail of the diamond sock on the sleeve.

A lot of thought and effort went into designing these uniforms 20 years ago. It's unfathomable that they would start messing with them now, especially after the Sox just won a World Series in them.

Young people! Young people are behinds it I tell you!!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/paganpower/Abraham_Simpson.gif

tick53
11-21-2010, 10:23 AM
They won't wear them anyway. This team is in love with the black so much that you'll hardly ever see them.

Thome25
11-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we made ESPN Page 2. Paul Lukas' Uni Watch Blog has reported our discontent with the road uniform change!!

Scroll down this page to the section on the White Sox. Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/101123_MLB_changes&sportCat=mlb

He even posted a link to this website which reported on Brooks' letter to us:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-white-sox-actually-care-what-their-local-bloggers-think-2010-11

And he even suggested this alternative design to what the Sox did to the road uni which I like:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1420/5185388482_cc84f77721_o.png

Way to go WSI!!

Red Barchetta
11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we made ESPN Page 2. Paul Lukas' Uni Watch Blog has reported our discontent with the road uniform change!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/101123_MLB_changes&sportCat=mlb

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-white-sox-actually-care-what-their-local-bloggers-think-2010-11

And he even suggested this alternative design to what the Sox did to the road uni which I like:

Way to go WSI!!

Pretty cool. I don't remember a new franchise (even moved franchises) change their uniforms as much during the first few years as Washington has.

I personally like the "Senators" themed look, however they are stuck on the letter "W". I like the Nationals script home jersey they opted not to use.

I like the new Cleveland Indians alternates. Interesting that they already have them scheduled for Saturday/Sunday home games and holidays.

I wish the SOX would get back to a set schedule for their "alternate" black jerseys. I don't think the pitcher should decide what uniform to wear. I think the organization should establish a policy and stick to it.

soxpride724
11-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Way to go WSI!!

I like the suggestion for the patch. It looks similar to the sleeve patch they wore on the red home pinstripes from the 70's.

hi im skot
11-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Way to go WSI!!

Awesomeness.

For anyone who hasn't already, check my signature for the Facebook group we created.

Noir
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
See, now i feel kinda bad for starting this thread lol

Brian26
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I like the suggestion for the patch. It looks similar to the sleeve patch they wore on the red home pinstripes from the 70's.

I don't like it. It looks too busy. You can't see the sock.

It goes back to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument.

Red Barchetta
11-27-2010, 12:09 PM

I think the Diamond Sock should become a more dominant logo if anything. I think they should have it on the left sleeve of all three jerseys.

DumpJerry
11-27-2010, 12:54 PM
So, where did Brooks' letter appear on here?

Brian26
11-27-2010, 01:03 PM
So, where did Brooks' letter appear on here?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2647833&postcount=90

soxpride724
11-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love the diamond Sox logo. But, if they had to change it, I would pick this guys suggestion of the SOX hat logo.

BainesHOF
11-28-2010, 02:12 AM
The new uniform sucks.

And worse, the team's decision to go ahead with using it despite the extreme negativity toward it. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but it's still mindboggling stupidity.

TornLabrum
11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
The new uniform sucks.

And worse, the team's decision to go ahead with using it despite the extreme negativity toward it. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but it's still mindboggling stupidity.

Or it shows that they already paid for them.

Red Barchetta
11-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Having spent my career in corporate sales, this is a typical marketing move. The product is so good it will sell itself. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, if the SOX move more road jerseys as a result and the White Sox brand is more recognized per Brooks' intentions, the WSI whiners (us) will be proven wrong. However, if they don't I wonder if they will ever go back to the Diamond patch. :redface:

Thome_Fan
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Terrible change. And that's coming from a designer.

FoulTerritory
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I think, despite some poster's concern with this thread, we all realize that this is not a "huge" deal in the scheme of things; however, that doesn't preclude us from voicing annoyance about the issue.

I think the diamond sock on the gray was cool, and its the main reason I chose to purchase the road jersey. So frankly, I think the change sucks.

I also think this is symptomatic of what is becoming a bit of a catalog of questionable decisions by brooks. The excessive stadium noise, the handling of the Nancy situation, silly basketball game cheerleaders, constant scoreboard races, etc. None of his decisions have even been original marketing ideas, but just one short-sighted NBA copy-cat idea after another, and the accumulation of these choices have certainly changed the atmosphere at the ballpark, and not for the better.

Bottom line. I think at this point I'd be alright if Brooks was fired, which sucks because he seemed to have so much promise.

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I also think this is symptomatic of what is becoming a bit of a catalog of questionable decisions by brooks.Really? You actually think he gets to make the decisions about the freaking UNIFORMS?

hi im skot
12-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Really? You actually think he gets to make the decisions about the freaking UNIFORMS?

I don't think there's any question that he was INVOLVED.

TheOldRoman
12-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't think there's any question that he was INVOLVED.Absolutely. The marketing department decides what image they want to portray of the team. The team's image ranges from advertisement to the team uniforms.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Put the sock patch on the other sleeve, under the Chicago flag.

I know it'll never happen.

soxinem1
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
It's redundant. The Sox logo is on the hat. Why the hell do you need it on the sleeve too? The sock was classy looking. This looks ridiculous.

What is Boyer's email address? Seriously, this is obscene. I know it's just a patch, but why even mess with it?

Making changes to make changes to uniforms that have been regarded as some of the best the last 20 years makes no sense.

The only alternate I wish we had would be the 1950's black and red pin stripes.

Other than that, the uni's are fine...

Big, big, thumbs down!!!

Alexei4president
12-08-2010, 12:54 PM
it looks like a jc penny jersey ***

FarmerAndy
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM
If they go to the World Series in it, I don't care what it looks like.

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2010, 03:27 PM
If they go to the World Series in it, I don't care what it looks like.I wouldn't go that far. The Sox have had some uniforms that have been dreadful. This is just not that big of a deal, yet here we are at over 200 posts about it.

FarmerAndy
12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't go that far. The Sox have had some uniforms that have been dreadful. This is just not that big of a deal, yet here we are at over 200 posts about it.

THat's pretty much how I feel about it.

MARTINMVP
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
With some work in marketing, I understand the idea of building a brand and establishing the overall identity.

Perception in branding is everything. Comcast does it in their commercials when portraying installers. They are nicely dressed, with Comcast polo shirts tucked in. Decent dressed individual. Good image. When the Comcast guy comes to your house, he's in baggy jeans and a hoody. Nothing wrong with that, but an obvious difference between perception and reality.

Changing a simple logo on a product sleeve just for the sake of it is a far stretch, in my opinion. I agree with the sentiment that the change sucks. I also agree that it probably won't do anything to further reinforce the White Sox brand. It probably won't hurt it either though, so I see this as a "null and void" type of move. When you see the type of reaction it has generated between here at WSI and elsewhere, you gotta figure such a move is probably not even worth it.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
You know it's been a good offseason when this is the tops in complaints from Sox fans.

Brian26
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
If they go to the World Series in it, I don't care what it looks like.

I wouldn't go that far. The Sox have had some uniforms that have been dreadful. This is just not that big of a deal, yet here we are at over 200 posts about it.

I think it's a big deal that they've considered and chosen to change any aspect of the uniforms, which were perfect. If they can take the sock off, what's to stop them from changing something else more drastic?

For example, what would everyone think if they decided to change the pinstripes to green and make the St. Patty's uni the regular home uniform?

chisox12
12-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I was in the market for a road jersey. I won't be getting one if this is all that is available...

beasly213
12-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I was in the market for a road jersey. I won't be getting one if this is all that is available...

Sox site still has the old one for sale. I plan on getting a Konerko one. :D:

hi im skot
12-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Call Grandstand. They're going to carry both.

Domeshot17
12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I think it's a big deal that they've considered and chosen to change any aspect of the uniforms, which were perfect. If they can take the sock off, what's to stop them from changing something else more drastic?

For example, what would everyone think if they decided to change the pinstripes to green and make the St. Patty's uni the regular home uniform?

:rolleyes:

What if they made them all play naked to save money on Uniforms?

You thought they were perfect, a small segment agrees with you, most won't notice difference or don't care enough about it to complain, Brooks thought it was the right move, that is his job, case closed.

Domeshot17
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I think, despite some poster's concern with this thread, we all realize that this is not a "huge" deal in the scheme of things; however, that doesn't preclude us from voicing annoyance about the issue.

I think the diamond sock on the gray was cool, and its the main reason I chose to purchase the road jersey. So frankly, I think the change sucks.

I also think this is symptomatic of what is becoming a bit of a catalog of questionable decisions by brooks. The excessive stadium noise, the handling of the Nancy situation, silly basketball game cheerleaders, constant scoreboard races, etc. None of his decisions have even been original marketing ideas, but just one short-sighted NBA copy-cat idea after another, and the accumulation of these choices have certainly changed the atmosphere at the ballpark, and not for the better.

Bottom line. I think at this point I'd be alright if Brooks was fired, which sucks because he seemed to have so much promise.

You may not like the changes, and some of the advertising has been a bit lame, but Brooks has accomplished what was clearly a major goal and that is making the White Sox fun for the family. I loved Nancy, but scoreboard races, popular music, inbetween inning games, it all has a purpose. The Sox have long battled this myth that you run a 50 50 chance of coming back alive if you go the cell. This thought process is now dying by the wayside and it has become more of an attraction for the family. As more families chose to bring their kids to the park, more young fans will be turned on to the Sox and the fan base will grow. It is good marketing, even if you don't like it.

Brian26
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
:rolleyes:

What if they made them all play naked to save money on Uniforms?

Ridiculous counterpoint not worth replying to, so I won't.

You thought they were perfect, a small segment agrees with you

If WSI is a snapshot of the Sox fanbase, it appears that almost everybody agrees with me.

Brooks thought it was the right move, that is his job, case closed.

Once you get your nose out of Brooks' backside, you'll realize that marketing and advertising people come and go, and they certainly don't always make the correct decisions. At some point, Rob Gallas was considered energetic and innovative, and the job ate him up. Brooks is far from perfect. This was a brutal decision. Brutal.

Nellie_Fox
12-09-2010, 12:06 AM

For example, what would everyone think if they decided to change the pinstripes to green and make the St. Patty's uni the regular home uniform?Going from a change of a sleeve patch to a change in the main color is a rather big leap, don't you think? Apples, oranges, and all that. I seem to remember that the road uniform used to have a large black and white band at the end of the sleeve which isn't there anymore. That's about as important as the sleeve patch.

SaltyPretzel
12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Going from a change of a sleeve patch to a change in the main color is a rather big leap, don't you think? Apples, oranges, and all that. I seem to remember that the road uniform used to have a large black and white band at the end of the sleeve which isn't there anymore. That's about as important as the sleeve patch.

:scratch:

TheOldRoman
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Going from a change of a sleeve patch to a change in the main color is a rather big leap, don't you think? Apples, oranges, and all that. I seem to remember that the road uniform used to have a large black and white band at the end of the sleeve which isn't there anymore. That's about as important as the sleeve patch.The sleeves still have the black and white cuffs on them (with matching striping going down the pants). The first year of the new uniforms there was no striping. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

LongLiveFisk
12-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Another possibility is looking on ebay.

Domeshot17
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Ridiculous counterpoint not worth replying to, so I won't.

If WSI is a snapshot of the Sox fanbase, it appears that almost everybody agrees with me.

Once you get your nose out of Brooks' backside, you'll realize that marketing and advertising people come and go, and they certainly don't always make the correct decisions. At some point, Rob Gallas was considered energetic and innovative, and the job ate him up. Brooks is far from perfect. This was a brutal decision. Brutal.

I am as worried about the St. Patty's Uniforms being used full time as I am the Sox playing naked.

I don't think the 50 upset WSI posters speak for the millions of Sox fans personally, as I said, MOST won't even notice for a while.

I am actually not a big fan of Brooks. I think he has done plenty wrong. But making the ball park family oriented and entertaining was a must to build a young fan base. I love Nancy but I can appreciate why they did what they did. This uniform change is so minute, and I understand the want to get the main logo on every uniform. Every major company tries to find consistency and orientation of its major logo/symbol on its products.

I am a big fan of the flying sock logo personally, but this isn't enough to make me even think about complaining.

ewokpelts
12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
the flying sock remains on the new primary uniform, the black jersey.

TheOldRoman
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
the flying sock remains on the new primary uniform, the black jersey.You mean the diamond sock.

TheOldRoman
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I am as worried about the St. Patty's Uniforms being used full time as I am the Sox playing naked.

I don't think the 50 upset WSI posters speak for the millions of Sox fans personally, as I said, MOST won't even notice for a while.

I am actually not a big fan of Brooks. I think he has done plenty wrong. But making the ball park family oriented and entertaining was a must to build a young fan base. I love Nancy but I can appreciate why they did what they did. This uniform change is so minute, and I understand the want to get the main logo on every uniform. Every major company tries to find consistency and orientation of its major logo/symbol on its products.

I am a big fan of the flying sock logo personally, but this isn't enough to make me even think about complaining.Well, it is clearly more than 50 people on here who dislike the change. Plus many more from Soxtalk, plus everybody from a message board on uniform/logo design I frequent, plus Uniwatch. It is a terrible idea. Will any Sox fans stop going to games or rooting of the team because of it? No, but it is still dumb. Even though most won't notice, that doesn't make the idea any better.

FielderJones
12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I am a big fan of the flying sock logo personally, but this isn't enough to make me even think about complaining.

Technically, this is a diamond sock.
http://dannycarlino.com/images/chicago%20white%20sox%20sock%20diamond%20gif%20log o%20reduced.gif

This is a flying sock.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9EkgIbJtA2hYSHOkw86NpD3uuQBzrL wx6JxFatRr8olgfP6DT

Domeshot17
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Technically, this is a diamond sock.

This is a flying sock.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9EkgIbJtA2hYSHOkw86NpD3uuQBzrL wx6JxFatRr8olgfP6DT

you are correct. I still think overall it is a small percentage are truly bothered by this.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Problem # 2 - the black jerseys.

Brooks - trade off!! Give the fans the diamond sock logo back on the road jerseys, and we in turn won't bitch (so much) about the black jerseys being worn 513 times last season. :angry:

ewokpelts
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
You mean the diamond sock.i guess. the point is, the black jersey is essentailly thier primary jersey now. the alternate has replaced both the home and road uniform

Dub25
12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow, really, "Dunn is going to look terrible on the road."

Dub25
12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
This thread will probably be on page 2,985 next October while there is another thread about the Sox winning the 2011 World Series. "These road uni's kept us from winning... blah blah blah...

hi im skot
12-09-2010, 11:05 PM
This thread will probably be on page 2,985 next October while there is another thread about the Sox winning the 2011 World Series. "These road uni's kept us from winning... blah blah blah...

Not if you keep bumping it.

Thanks for keeping it current. :thumbsup:

Dub25
12-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Not if you keep bumping it.

Thanks for keeping it current. :thumbsup:

I'm not the one keeping it current. I probably check in about once... maybe twice a week and this thread keeps popping up near the top.

But it does give me entertainment.

FoulTerritory
12-10-2010, 04:32 PM
You may not like the changes, and some of the advertising has been a bit lame, but Brooks has accomplished what was clearly a major goal and that is making the White Sox fun for the family. I loved Nancy, but scoreboard races, popular music, inbetween inning games, it all has a purpose. The Sox have long battled this myth that you run a 50 50 chance of coming back alive if you go the cell. This thought process is now dying by the wayside and it has become more of an attraction for the family. As more families chose to bring their kids to the park, more young fans will be turned on to the Sox and the fan base will grow. It is good marketing, even if you don't like it.

When I was a kid, in the 80's, my family had a great time at games. But between innings, instead of vapidly cheering scoreboard races (go mountain dew can! go!) or jumping up and down like a loon trying to catch a t-shirt, my dad and brother and I would talk about the game, take in the grandeur of the ballpark, or note whatever clever bit Nancy was playing.

Must we pander to the lowest common denominator in our marketing? Then, to make matters less logical, convince ourselves that this is what "family friendly" is?

As for the perception of the safety/neighborhood . . . that is a completely different marketing issue than in-park atmosphere and/or unis. And frankly, with the gentrification of the south side, the idea that people perceive going to a Sox game as unsafe is pretty dated, regardless of Sox marketing.

ghostfacesox
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Whats up with the new arm patch on the road jerseys? The pale hose within the diamond looked much better imo.:?:

delben91
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Whats up with the new arm patch on the road jerseys? The pale hose within the diamond looked much better imo.:?:

What? There's a new patch? :o: