PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox trade Beckham?

Rockabilly
11-11-2010, 10:27 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Am8z_ZQCwMdvdGdKC4KmXdIRvLYF?slug=ti-hotstovecolumn110910

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
And what exactly would the White Sox be looking to get back?

DirtySox
11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I think it would be moronic unless they are getting back another young, high upside, cost controlled, position player. Even then they would be creating another hole to fill.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't know why they'd want to shop him, but you always listen to offers.

aryzner
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Only if it's an offer they can't refuse, but I think that's highly unlikely.

russ99
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
If Eduardo Escobar can continue similarly after his exceptional Fall League performance, that may eventually require an infield move to make room for him.

But I'm thinking that's more when Alexei becomes a FA in 3 years, than anything with Beckham who's still inexpensive, not arbitration eligible, and far away from his FA year.

Dibbs
11-11-2010, 11:19 AM
His value is low right now. Not a good time to trade him.

dickallen15
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
His value is low right now. Not a good time to trade him.
Wait until he's a full blown star and trade him for prospects. Wait for them to become excellent and trade them. Its not about his value. He has extremely high value. The Sox would have to be blown away to trade him.

Domeshot17
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Wait until he's a full blown star and trade him for prospects. Wait for them to become excellent and trade them. Its not about his value. He has extremely high value. The Sox would have to be blown away to trade him.

His value isn't that high right now to other teams. I know we love him, but can't miss superstar prospects come to the bigs every year and have disappointing and poor years. No one knows if Beckham will ever live up to his hype or not. Not the Sox, not other teams, it is tough to tell.

That said, he is probably worth more to us than any other team out there.

g0g0
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Cubs please offer Soriano, Ramirez and Fukudome. :redneck

dickallen15
11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
His value isn't that high right now to other teams. I know we love him, but can't miss superstar prospects come to the bigs every year and have disappointing and poor years. No one knows if Beckham will ever live up to his hype or not. Not the Sox, not other teams, it is tough to tell.

That said, he is probably worth more to us than any other team out there.
BS. His value is extremely high. Unless the White Sox received a no brainer offer, they aren't going to trade the guy they think will be the face of their franchise the next decade. Its amazing some guy on yahoo says some feel the Sox will take offers on someone and people buy it and try to twist it around. He's not going anywhere.

Domeshot17
11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
BS. His value is extremely high. Unless the White Sox received a no brainer offer, they aren't going to trade the guy they think will be the face of their franchise the next decade. Its amazing some guy on yahoo says some feel the Sox will take offers on someone and people buy it and try to twist it around. He's not going anywhere.

I don't think you are understanding here. I was not saying Gordon was being dealt or even the Sox wanted to trade him. I said because he has not lived up to his hype yet (and never said he won't or can't in the future) he is worth far more to the White Sox then any other team out there.

However, there seems to be some debate since we drafted him if Gordon is going to be this Evan Longoria MVP type player for the Sox, and I don't think that was ever his ceiling. People on the site have made off base comparisons to Longoria-Utley-Jeter, and while Gordon vocally may be that kind of leader, the skill set is pretty different. The guy is going to be a fine player for his career, but he hasn't shown anything yet that screams he is going to be a franchise cornerstone type player.

fox23
11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Welcome to the age of blogging. All you need to know is how to type to pretend to be an "expert" now.

soxfan43
11-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't know why they'd want to shop him, but you always listen to offers.

I agree with that statement. Of course Kenny is going to listen to all offers but I doubt he's calling other GM's and shopping Gordon around. But I would be intrigued to see what type of offers Kenny could be hearing for Beckham though.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the age of blogging. All you need to know is how to type to pretend to be an "expert" now.

Tim Brown has been writing about baseball for 20 years. He isn't just someone who "knows how to type."

He got info from someone and reported it. For all we know some Reds executive said it.

Rockabilly
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

They are talking about who might be interested in Beckham

How about Beckham to the Dodgers for Andre Ethier? Then I would trade Floyd to the Brewers for Weeks

DumpJerry
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM

This is hilarious. I'm sure there are about 29 teams interested in Beckham. What makes it even more hilarious, he attributes the speculation to the Yahoo blurb mentioned in the original post in this thread. The Yahoo post does not even mention an anonymous source and yet this clown treats it like it is gospel.

All of this is done in the name of generating website hits to build up advertising revenue for the site. Until Jerry or Kenny says the Sox are soliciting or seriously considering offers for Beckham, this speculation has no weight whatsoever.

DumpJerry
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Tim Brown has been writing about baseball for 20 years. He isn't just someone who "knows how to type."
I'm sure we could say the same thing about Phil Rogers.:tongue:

There is a difference between quantity and quality, don't get them mixed up.

fox23
11-11-2010, 02:42 PM

He got info from someone and reported it. For all we know some Reds executive said it.

My apologies then. I simply saw it was from yahoo and figured it was another one of those hacks who throw out sensationalist remarks just to get page hits.

LITTLE NELL
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Amazing, in one year he has gone from being the franchise player of the future to a subject of trade rumors.
Whats going on here?

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
One year too late, as usual.

Hope to be wrong, but I don't see "The Bacon" amounting to anything special in this league. Not allstar caliber IMO. Non power hitting guys who strike out 100X is a big concern for me.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm sure we could say the same thing about Phil Rogers.:tongue:

There is a difference between quantity and quality, don't get them mixed up.

What's wrong with Tim Brown exactly?

DumpJerry
11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
What's wrong with Tim Brown exactly?
Nothing that I'm aware of. I was just saying that time served does not mean the person necessarily knows what s/he is talking about.

DirtySox
11-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Hope to be wrong, but I don't see "The Bacon" amounting to anything special in this league. Not allstar caliber IMO. Non power hitting guys who strike out 100X is a big concern for me.

Should probably trade Sale too before his arm explodes.

hi im skot
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

How about Beckham to the Dodgers for Andre Ethier? Then I would trade Floyd to the Brewers for Weeks

Woof.

hi im skot
11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Amazing, in one year he has gone from being the franchise player of the future to a subject of trade rumors.
Whats going on here?

His name was tossed around last offseason, too.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Should probably trade Sale too before his arm explodes.Yeah, that's the ticket. Anybody who shows any sign at all of having any potential, trade him quickly while you still can. Get prospects, and if any of them look any good, trade them too, before it's too late.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Should probably trade Sale too before his arm explodes.

Don't know about that one.

He appears to be something special in the making there. Tall LH power pitcher with 3 very good pitches is kind of untouchable material to me.

This is the one piece I think Kenny cannot trade.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that's the ticket. Anybody who shows any sign at all of having any potential, trade him quickly while you still can. Get prospects, and if any of them look any good, trade them too, before it's too late.

With the high failure rate of prospects in baseball, that might not be a bad way to operate if you can afford to run a payroll up in the $100+ million range. The way the Sox **** up prospects down in the farm and the failure of thie big league coaching staff to teach these guys anything, I think it's the way to go.

Now, Sale is a prospect that appears to not need a farm system nor a coaching staff to bring him along. The guy is the real deal to me.

dickallen15
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Beckham put up pretty good numbers the second half. Its amazing if you don't perform like a HOFer everyday from the time you start playing you should be dealt.

I wonder what people would have said about Robin Ventura after his rookie year. Beckham is better than Robin and will have a better career if he stays healthy.

The article just says someone expects Beckham to be available. So what. So is everyone.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, that's the ticket. Anybody who shows any sign at all of having any potential, trade him quickly while you still can. Get prospects, and if any of them look any good, trade them too, before it's too late.:fobbgod:
"I like the way you think."

slavko
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Whats going on here?

Kidding aside, breaking balls give him trouble. Hitting .250 with some pop and playing a decent infield describes Juan Uribe, not a franchise player. He wouldn't be the first "can't miss" guy around here that couldn't hit the breaking pitch, but as of Right Now, he still has his halo at WSI.

DumpJerry
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
The speculators at Yahoo and elsewhere are forgetting that the Sox shut down trade talk for Dunn when Beckham was demanded by the Nats.

He ain't leaving any time soon.

DirtySox
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I was being facetious by the way. I obviously think the Sox need to hold onto Sale and Beckham.

SoxSpeed22
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I didn't know players abilities were set in stone after 2.5 years of professional baseball. I think Beckham will learn how to take a breaking ball to right field soon.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
The speculators at Yahoo and elsewhere are forgetting that the Sox shut down trade talk for Dunn when Beckham was demanded by the Nats.

Meh. I don't think that really means anything right now. Things change.

Nelfox02
11-11-2010, 05:09 PM

totally agree with this.....I think he could turn into a solid player......but the face of this franchise (Ozzie) is safe for now........I hope Beckham proves you and I wrong, but I was not that high on him even going into the 2010 season, what I saw in 2010 was far worse than I was expecting....

That said I dont really see a reason to trade the guy at this point

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Yeah, those demands were ridiculous. A half year rental made no sense.

Now, if you can get an impact bat who is under control for 2 or more seasons, I think that can make good sense for us.

Now let's turn back the clock even further, could the Sox have gotten Roy Halladay for Beckham? That's the one that really hurts because you would have made that move and the Peavy move would have never happened. Think about that one.

kobo
11-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I think some of you are overreacting. All the blurb said was that teams expect the White Sox to take offers for Beckham. Isn't that what every good GM should do? This does not mean the Sox want to trade Beckham. Kenny would be a fool to not listen to other clubs to see how they value Beckham.

Rockabilly
11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
According to ESPN Insider, Ryan Braun might be traded this off season. I would trade anyone on the Sox for Braun.

dickallen15
11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, those demands were ridiculous. A half year rental made no sense.

Now, if you can get an impact bat who is under control for 2 or more seasons, I think that can make good sense for us.

Now let's turn back the clock even further, could the Sox have gotten Roy Halladay for Beckham? That's the one that really hurts because you would have made that move and the Peavy move would have never happened. Think about that one.

I don't think Halladay for Beckham was ever on the table, but it is interesting how many people really want the Brent Lillibridge era to continue. Beckham hit .310 the second half with a .380 OBP and an OPS of .877. He's not the type you really want to trade.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't think Halladay for Beckham was ever on the table, but it is interesting how many people really want the Brent Lillibridge era to continue. Beckham hit .310 the second have with a .380 OBP and an OPS over .800. He's not the type you really want to trade.

Oh, so Lillibridge is for sure the starting second baseman if Beckham gets traded? Now that we have that out of the way will you please tell us more?

dickallen15
11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh, so Lillibridge is for sure the starting second baseman if Beckham gets traded? Now that we have that out of the way will you please tell us more?
You have a 23 year old under control forever who many believe including the White Sox will be a star. He had a nice second half before getting hit by a pitch. Only White Sox message boards think A. trading him may be a good idea but of course B. his value is LOW. I really believe there are people here that would rather the Charlotte Knights be good than the Chicago White Sox. Get rid of everyone with talent and acquire even younger guys with talent and when they show something, get rid of them. Gordon Beckham is a stud. Sorry to break your heart. He's exactly the type of player White Sox fans, this message board included have been clamouring for. Now someone posts the White Sox "may" be listening to offers for him, and look how many jump on the Beckham is overrated, get something before you can't bandwagon. If anyone thinks Beckham doesn't have value and/or isn't a good player right now and will only get better if he remains healthy, really has no business in the talent evaluation business. They would have zero idea what they are looking at. Who will replace the cheap Beckham at 2B? Someone more expensive? That makes a lot of sense for a team already crying about budget.

The whole thing is such a non story. There's a 99.99 percent chance Beckham is a White Sox next year, and being traded isn't the .01 percent.
"I was not trading Gordon Beckham,'' Williams said trade deadline 2010. He wouldn't trade him then, he's not going to trade him now.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
You have a 23 year old under control forever who many believe including the White Sox will be a star. He had a nice second half before getting hit by a pitch. Only White Sox message boards think A. trading him may be a good idea but of course B. his value is LOW. I really believe there are people here that would rather the Charlotte Knights be good than the Chicago White Sox. Get rid of everyone with talent and acquire even younger guys with talent and when they show something, get rid of them. Gordon Beckham is a stud. Sorry to break your heart. He's exactly the type of player White Sox fans, this message board included have been clamouring for. Now someone posts the White Sox "may" be listening to offers for him, and look how many jump on the Beckham is overrated, get something before you can't bandwagon. If anyone thinks Beckham doesn't have value and/or isn't a good player right now and will only get better if he remains healthy, really has no business in the talent evaluation business. They would have zero idea what they are looking at. Who will replace the cheap Beckham at 2B? Someone more expensive? That makes a lot of sense for a team already crying about budget.

The whole thing is such a non story. There's a 99.99 percent chance Beckham is a White Sox next year, and being traded isn't the .01 percent.

First off - when have I ever said I wanted Gordon Beckham to be traded or wanted him to not be a stud? That's an extremely ignorant thing to say that it would "break my heart" if he was good. Second off - you were the one saying people want Brent Lillibridge. I don't think anyone wants Brent Lillibridge as a starting second baseman. I was calling you out because you said he would for sure be our second baseman if Beckham is gone. Which you have no idea if that is true or not. Sorry to break your heart.

Some people think Beckham will be an okay player, but not the superstar that others on this board make him out to be. It's a difference of opinion. Shocking.

For the record, I don't think he gets traded. But the White Sox would be dumb to not listen to offers, and even make a move if it would benefit this team.

soxfan43
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Who knows how good Beckham will be, but he's not untouchable. There's nobody on the team whose so talented you don't listen to offers if a GM calls you. There's a huge difference between listening to offers for a guy and shopping a player. If you do trade Beckham, it's not going to be for prospects. It would most likely be for an established star caliber player whose under contract for a few years. Someone mentioned Ryan Braun, are there really people here who would hang up the phone with Milwaukee's GM the second Beckham's name got mentioned for someone like Braun? Kenny would be insane not to listen to any legitamate offer for any player on this team.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Players I'd trade for Beckham. Granted, all of these guys would need more than just Beckham to be on the Sox:

Felix
Greinke
Braun
Zimmerman

There are other obvious ones. These are just a couple that have been mentioned as being on the market the past couple of years. Except for Zimmerman. I just love that guy.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 09:38 PM

"I was not trading Gordon Beckham,'' Williams said trade deadline 2010. He wouldn't trade him then, he's not going to trade him now.

Mod Edit: Comment removed. Please knock off the personal insults.

No one here has mentioned Lillibridge as a replacement, NO ONE!

You speak as if the 2B position is not replaceable, to me it is the most replaceable position in baseball.

And no one here is asking him to be traded for a bag of balls. The guy still has value because he still is a prospect. If you can get an established ML star that another team can no longer afford, you have to consider it if you are Kenny Williams.

dickallen15
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Mod Edit: Comment removed. Please knock off the personal insults.

No one here has mentioned Lillibridge as a replacement, NO ONE!

You speak as if the 2B position is not replaceable, to me it is the most replaceable position in baseball.

And no one here is asking him to be traded for a bag of balls. The guy still has value because he still is a prospect. If you can get an established ML star that another team can no longer afford, you have to consider it if you are Kenny Williams.

An established player another team can't afford, which means he's expensive for a star in waiting who isn't even eligible for arbitration until 2013 isn't very smart. You're just throwing more money at the guy Beckham gets traded for, then even more money replacing him, the White Sox didn't even make Konerko an offer when they were the only team that could talk to him. It probably means there not about to start throwing money around.

DirtySox
11-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Ballantini says no.

http://www.csnchicago.com/11/13/10/BBQ-Beckham-on-the-block/landing_poetry_in_pros_v3.html?blockID=352123&feedID=6662

LoveYourSuit
11-13-2010, 10:08 PM
An established player another team can't afford, which means he's expensive for a star in waiting who isn't even eligible for arbitration until 2013 isn't very smart. You're just throwing more money at the guy Beckham gets traded for, then even more money replacing him, the White Sox didn't even make Konerko an offer when they were the only team that could talk to him. It probably means there not about to start throwing money around.

You keep saying this on every post, what makes you think he is going to be a star or the next Joe Morgan? You make it sound like that's what he's going to be, a gurantee.

Look, I am not saying that he's going to get traded nor am I screaming and wishing for Kenny to move the guy. But if it happens, I am not going to be shocked. Nor will I be upset.

Just luck back to the Brandon McCarthy trade. The guy was penciled in for greatness. Look at him.

I trust Kenny when moving young players.

hi im skot
11-13-2010, 10:21 PM
You keep saying this on every post, what makes you think he is going to be a star or the next Joe Morgan? You make it sound like that's what he's going to be, a gurantee.

Look, I am not saying that he's going to get traded nor am I screaming and wishing for Kenny to move the guy. But if it happens, I am not going to be shocked. Nor will I be upset.

Just luck back to the Brandon McCarthy trade. The guy was penciled in for greatness. Look at him.

I trust Kenny when moving young players.

Brandon McCarthy and Gordon Beckham have very little in common.

LoveYourSuit
11-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Brandon McCarthy and Gordon Beckham have very little in common.

They are/were both "untouchable" Sox players/prospects according to many fans.

dickallen15
11-15-2010, 11:16 AM
They are/were both "untouchable" Sox players/prospects according to many fans.

What does what the fans say have anything to do with what the team would do? There are fans on this site that wanted Konerko gone for years, with the Sox even paying a lot of his salary just to play on another team. Now some of the same fans will be upset if the Sox don't give him big bucks to stay around, and if they do and he drops off, will complain about that. Plus the GM never did say he wouldn't trade McCarthy. He has said as much about Beckham.