PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Webb

getonbckthr
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
What kind of money is he gonna demand this offseason? Would it be completely crazy to consider moving Floyd or Danks in a deal for Prince Fielder and then sign Webb to replace them?

VMSNS
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't think the Sox have any interest in adding to the starting rotation, to be honest (since we already have a lot of $$$ locked into the current rotation). And even if they do trade Floyd/Danks to free up some salary, they'd probably slide Sale into that vacant spot anyway.

...plus, hasn't Webb been injured for the past few season, anyway?

JermaineDye05
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't think the Sox have any interest in adding to the starting rotation, to be honest (since we already have a lot of $$$ locked into the current rotation). And even if they do trade Floyd/Danks to free up some salary, they'd probably slide Sale into that vacant spot anyway.

They'd probably re-sign Freddy. Sale needs time to start in the minors.

Daver
11-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Based on the way the Sox treat pitchers, there is no way Sale would be ready to start at the beginning of the season.

Brian26
11-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Would it be completely crazy to consider moving Floyd or Danks in a deal for Prince Fielder and then sign Webb to replace them?

No. It might be a smart move.

Keep in mind, KW was after Webb in late 2008 and early 2009 before he acquired Peavy.

If you move Danks for a big left-handed bat, perhaps Webb steps in and has a nice comeback season.

LoveYourSuit
11-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I think LH pitching is huge for our division.

I would like to see the Sox find a way to get Danks, Buehrle, and Sale on that rotations next year.

So who to trade from Floyd, Peavy, or Jackson?

No one will take Peavy. So it's Floyd or Jackson.

Can Floyd land you a big stick this offseason?

VMSNS
11-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Based on the way the Sox treat pitchers, there is no way Sale would be ready to start at the beginning of the season.

Well, it's not my idea exactly. I read an article on MLB.com a few days ago where Cooper said he wants Sale in the bullpen next season, but understands that Sale may have to start for the first few weeks of the season because they're still unsure of how Peavy will recover.

I personally think Sale needs some time in the minors (just to get loose), but I also think that the Sox are much more likely to put Sale in the rotation than to spend or trade on another rotation guy. Just my opinion.

Huisj
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I thought the reports on Webb from the end of the season were that in his first few instructional league appearances very late in the year, he still looked awful and couldn't break 80 mph.

DirtySox
11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought the reports on Webb from the end of the season were that in his first few instructional league appearances very late in the year, he still looked awful and couldn't break 80 mph.

Is what I've heard as well.

russ99
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, it's not my idea exactly. I read an article on MLB.com a few days ago where Cooper said he wants Sale in the bullpen next season, but understands that Sale may have to start for the first few weeks of the season because they're still unsure of how Peavy will recover.

I personally think Sale needs some time in the minors (just to get loose), but I also think that the Sox are much more likely to put Sale in the rotation than to spend or trade on another rotation guy. Just my opinion.

Good post. I think that there's a chance the Sox may bring back Garcia cheap to hedge against Peavy not being ready to start the season, and to give Sale the 2-3 months or so he needs in AAA to get acclimated to starting.

palehozenychicty
11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Haven't heard much about his condition. He seems like a long ways away from being a premier pitcher again, according to notes online.

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2010, 10:42 AM
You could Webb on the cheap and then if he comes back, you have an elite pitcher that you paid nothing for. I don't really see the downside to going after him.