PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle wins his second straight Gold Glove

DumpJerry
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
His wife posted her congrats on her Facebook page. Official announcement tomorrow. Per The Score.

Boondock Saint
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Awesome. He's been deserving of one for years now. He'll be getting these routinely, since he got his foot in the door last year.

BleacherBandit
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Well deserved. The opening day play goes down as one of the best defensive plays made by a pitcher, in my book.

JermaineDye05
11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Awesome. He's been deserving of one for years now. He'll be getting these routinely, since he got his foot in the door last year.

That one play doesn't hurt either. I think he sealed his second straight gold glove on opening day.

chisoxfanatic
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Awesome and well deserved!

#1swisher
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
One of my favorite White Sox players!! Congratulations Mark! :gulp:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/08/mark-buehrles-wife-spills-the-beans-on-her-husband-winning-the-gold-glove/

manders_01
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
YES!!! Good job Burls! Congratulations!

cheezheadsoxfan
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Congrats to Mark!:D:

Boondock Saint
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
That one play doesn't hurt either. I think he sealed his second straight gold glove on opening day.

Of course it didn't. But the numbers don't lie: The voters find someone, and latch onto him. In the last 20 years (counting Buehrle's second GG), there have been just five different AL pitchers to have won a gold glove (Buehrle [2], Johan Santana [1], Kenny Rogers [5], Mike Mussina [7], and Mark Langston [5]). Greg Maddux has 18(!), Ivan Rodriguez has 13, and Griffey has 10. I'm not saying that they all don't deserve them (your mileage may vary), but the trend is clear.

ChiSoxGal85
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Congratulations to Mark!!! :bandance:

KRS1
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Should be closer to double digits by now, but I guess recognition is better late than never.

JermaineDye05
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Of course it didn't. But the numbers don't lie: The voters find someone, and latch onto him. In the last 20 years (counting Buehrle's second GG), there have been just five different AL pitchers to have won a gold glove (Buehrle [2], Johan Santana [1], Kenny Rogers [5], Mike Mussina [7], and Mark Langston [5]). Greg Maddux has 18(!), Ivan Rodriguez has 13, and Griffey has 10. I'm not saying that they all don't deserve them (your mileage may vary), but the trend is clear.

Which is why I think the voters are gonna pick Jeter once again.

LongLiveFisk
11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Congrats, Mark! :bandance:

voodoochile
11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Congratulations to the Burlymon! It's well deserved.

thomas35forever
11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
He won it on Opening Day. Congrats to a White Sox legend!:bandance:

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Kudos!

ChiSoxGirl
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I ♥ Mark Buehrle!!! That is all. :smile:

esbrechtel
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Congrats Buehrle!

doublem23
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Really, they could have announced this on Opening Day.

DumpJerry
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Really, they could have announced this on Opening Day.
Well, as much as we would hate to admit it, ESPN deserves a shout-out for this because they kept that play in forefront of everyone in baseball media all season long.

GlassSox
11-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Well deserved, congrats to Mark :bandance:

Rikirk
11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Nice job MB.
:smile:

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Good for him. That opening day flip was just ridiculous. Sealed it that day after I witnessed that.

johnnyg83
11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
What a career for this guy. A no-hitter, a perfect game, two GGs, All-Star Game win, WS win, WS save ... and the ring. That glorious ring.

Why not retire?

Boondock Saint
11-09-2010, 12:26 AM
What a career for this guy. A no-hitter, a perfect game, two GGs, All-Star Game win, WS win, WS save ... and the ring. That glorious ring.

Why not retire?

Buehrle doesn't have a WS win. Cotts got the win in game 2.

11-09-2010, 12:52 AM

Exactly! Its a joke how these things work but now he will be the annual pick for the next few years.

StillMissOzzie
11-09-2010, 01:00 AM

+1

When the opening day play serves as the season-long barometer of Web Gems via the Buehrle-Meter, you gotta think it was in the bag already.

SMO
:gulp:

samurai_sox
11-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Congrats Buehrle!!! :gulp:

BadBobbyJenks
11-09-2010, 04:10 AM
:gulp::gulp:

soxfanreggie
11-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Congrats MB! Hopefully we can see you win another couple of them.

downstairs
11-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Buehrle doesn't have a WS win. Cotts got the win in game 2.

Yep, Jenks blew the lead in game 2. And when Buehrle came in the 14th in game three, the Sox already had the lead.

He contributed to two games in a row, but got no wins.

October26
11-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Just hearing of this today. Thanks, WSI and Congratulations, Mark Buehrle!:bandance::bandance:

DumpJerry
11-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Yep, Jenks blew the lead in game 2. And when Buehrle came in the 14th in game three, the Sox already had the lead.

He contributed to two games in a row, but got no wins.
Burls got the save (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU200510250.shtml) in Game Three.

doublem23
11-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Why not retire?

http://www.zath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pile-of-money.jpg

Bobby Thigpen
11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.zath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pile-of-money.jpg
Yup.

Cause Buehrle's proven to be all about that...

doublem23
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Yup.

Cause Buehrle's proven to be all about that...

I didn't say he was, but that's a pretty good reason not to retire while you can still play.

I've never been offerd millions of dollars to play baseball, but I'd have to think it's, at the very least, a tough decision, to walk away from it.

Domeshot17
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I didn't say he was, but that's a pretty good reason not to retire while you can still play.

I've never been offerd millions of dollars to play baseball, but I'd have to think it's, at the very least, a tough decision, to walk away from it.

It is the entire life. 5 star hotels, beautiful women, fame, being on TV, having the ability to go hunt bears during a free weekend. Once you retire, what does he do? Sit on his John Deer and cut grass? Money and the Life Style are the 2 biggest reasons players hold on as long as they do.

KMcMahon817
11-09-2010, 09:22 PM
It is the entire life. 5 star hotels, beautiful women, fame, being on TV, having the ability to go hunt bears during a free weekend. Once you retire, what does he do? Sit on his John Deer and cut grass? Money and the Life Style are the 2 biggest reasons players hold on as long as they do.

I am pretty sure Mark wouldn't give a rip about all the aforementioned things, besides hunting bears.

If he retires, it is because he wants to spend more than 4 months a year with his kids while they grow up.

doublem23
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I am pretty sure Mark wouldn't give a rip about all the aforementioned things, besides hunting bears.

If he retires, it is because he wants to spend more than 4 months a year with his kids while they grow up.

No one is saying Mark doesn't care about his kids or that he ultimately won't decide to retire after 2011 at the ripe old age of 32, but you can't convince me that there's not a small part of him that desperately wants to keep playing baseball. He's a Major League baseball player, that's like every kids' dream... I know he's a big family guy and I get that he wants to sit around and be with his kids, but he's still a guy who would be walking away from a special opportunity that 99% of us only get to dream about.

KRS1
11-10-2010, 01:13 AM

Baseball season takes up 200-250 days of the year depending on playoff performance. Half of that time is spent at home. That's quite a bit more than four months a year.

I'd bet Mark plays on short-term deals for the rest of his career, and all this retirement talk will fade away as the eight figure checks keep coming.

Bobby Thigpen
11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Baseball season takes up 200-250 days of the year depending on playoff performance. Half of that time is spent at home. That's quite a bit more than four months a year.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say all that "time at home" you think he has during the season, isn't really all that much between workouts, meetings, practice and games. You may sleep in your bed, so technically you are home, but I'm going to bet you're not actually in your house all that much.

g0g0
11-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Well deserved. The opening day play goes down as one of the best defensive plays made by a pitcher, in my book.

+1

Congrats Mark! :bandance:

Railsplitter
11-10-2010, 09:49 AM
:bandance:

At least somebody on the Sox is getting an award.

Dan H
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
When we Sox fans look back on this past decade, one player we will always think of will be Buehrle. He, along with Konerko, helped establish an identity for the team. He is not a superstar but he is one solid major league player. I hope the retirement talk is just that - talk.

soxfanreggie
11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say all that "time at home" you think he has during the season, isn't really all that much between workouts, meetings, practice and games. You may sleep in your bed, so technically you are home, but I'm going to bet you're not actually in your house all that much.

Since there are a lot of games over the summer, couldn't the Sox make an agreement with him to provide travel and accommodations for his family? They could be on the road with him for a few weeks each month, and he could be given a few days off to spend with them (ex. the day after he pitches on the road or at home). If other players complain, they can be told to negotiate it into their contracts once they reach his level.

doublem23
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Since there are a lot of games over the summer, couldn't the Sox make an agreement with him to provide travel and accommodations for his family? They could be on the road with him for a few weeks each month, and he could be given a few days off to spend with them (ex. the day after he pitches on the road or at home). If other players complain, they can be told to negotiate it into their contracts once they reach his level.

Don't the Buehrles live in the Chicagoland area? Maybe his folks still live in Missouri, but I'm pretty sure during the season, Mark, his wife, and kids have a place in the SW suburbs.

dwitt76
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
That opening day play never gets old

doublem23
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
That opening day play never gets old

Honestly, the only White Sox defensive play that I can remember being definitely better was Uribe going into the stands at Houston for Out #2 in the 9th inning of Game 4, mostly because of the circumstance.

Marqhead
11-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Honestly, the only White Sox defensive play that I can remember being definitely better was Uribe going into the stands at Houston for Out #2 in the 9th inning of Game 4, mostly because of the circumstance.

Definitely better because of circumstance. I've gotta give recognition to Iguchi's sideways diving play against the Jays a few years back. But maybe mostly because I was at the game. :cool:

Burlymon's is one for the highlight reel, they should put it in the intro for next year.

delben91
11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Wise's catch in the perfect game has to be top 5 too.

Then again, he did bobble it on purpose to take the focus off Buehrle, but what're you gonna do...

Madvora
11-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Why not retire?
Don't forget the home run.

Domeshot17
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM

A lot of endorsement stuff, but Buehrle has said before he doesn't throw at all during the winter, he just gets up early in the morning and runs.

soxlady8
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I think MB does not want to retire because he genuinely LOVES the game.
When he is out there it looks like he just enjoys himself . He doesn't seemed too stressed or pressured.

He also appears to be a nice and laid back guy who enjoys being a great contributor to his team and enjoys the friendships he makes with his
teammates.

He , his wife , and family do not strike me as high class big shots
who are in it for the luxury lifestyle. He and his wife do alot of charity work and being a major league star allows him and his wife to do this.

Congrats to Mark for his GG and for also being a super cool dude and role model !!

Frontman
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
When we Sox fans look back on this past decade, one player we will always think of will be Buehrle. He, along with Konerko, helped establish an identity for the team. He is not a superstar but he is one solid major league player. I hope the retirement talk is just that - talk.

That's what the Sox have always been in my lifetime. Not a superstar heavy team (Fisk and Thomas aside) but solid players that would benefit any team. The first decade of the 2000's for the White Sox will be known as solid players that fans in Chicago loved, and weren't known as well outside of Chicago.

As far as when Mark decides to hang it up; whenever that decision is made, it will be bittersweet as a Sox fan for me. Mark brought us a World Series, a no-hitter, a perfect game, a few All star appearances, and a few gold gloves.

Best starting pitcher the Sox have had in a long long time.

Balfanman
11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

Isn't that life for most of us though, between worrk, civic meetings, etc. I generally leave the house at 6:30 in the morning and most night I don't return home until at least 8:30 - 9:00.

TheCommander
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
:bandance:

At least somebody on the Sox is getting an award.

Don't forget about the Crosstown Cup!

Warriorjan
11-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Darn, you had to remind me about the Crosstown Cup.
Congrats, Mark. I remember how happy everyone was when they announced the extension of his contract after the last game before the All Star break a few years ago. I'm still happy.

kufram
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I actually think he did bobble it on purpose, but that doesn't matter. That play took perfection to get the ball in the glove... after it was in the glove he could do whatever he liked, except drop it.

MB's play was fantastic and looked even better. He would be the first to say that an element of luck was involved. Again, that doesn't matter.

Uribe's play took skill AND courage. Nobody thought that ball was going to be caught. It must have been White Sox fans sitting there because he could easily have taken a fist to the jaw.

You can't pick which of the 3 is best. You can only pick your favourite.

Wise's catch in the perfect game has to be top 5 too.

Then again, he did bobble it on purpose to take the focus off Buehrle, but what're you gonna do...

Brian26
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I actually think he did bobble it on purpose, but that doesn't matter. That play took perfection to get the ball in the glove... after it was in the glove he could do whatever he liked, except drop it.

MB's play was fantastic and looked even better. He would be the first to say that an element of luck was involved. Again, that doesn't matter.

Uribe's play took skill AND courage. Nobody thought that ball was going to be caught. It must have been White Sox fans sitting there because he could easily have taken a fist to the jaw.

You can't pick which of the 3 is best. You can only pick your favourite.

There is no way he bobbled it on purpose. He wasn't that good, and what would be the point anyway? The catch on its own was amazing enough.

ChiSoxGal85
11-12-2010, 09:22 AM

No way. That was much too important of a situation to be messing around. Especially for a player who was fighting for playing time.

kufram
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
The catch on it's own was amazing enough is right. Dewayne Wise was/is a very good outfielder. It is one of my favourite defensive plays ever. I was glad to see him make if only to make up for getting booed on opening day.

If I was bobbling that ball I wouldn't have a huge smile on my face. I would have a look of absolute panic. Wise was not panicking. I'm not putting him down in any way at all. If anything I'm paying him a compliment. I think he knew exactly what he was doing on that entire play.

There is no way he bobbled it on purpose. He wasn't that good, and what would be the point anyway? The catch on its own was amazing enough.