illini81887
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
http://deadspin.com/5684849/

DirtySox
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Later.

Daver
11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I won't miss Joe Morgan and his towering ego, but I liked Jon Miller.

thomas35forever
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. Any reason behind this?

DirtySox
11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Wow. Any reason behind this?

Hopefully they realized how horrifically awful Joe Morgan is. Not sure on Miller though. He's alright in my book.

Over By There
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Agreed. I've always liked Miller despite Morgan.

The FireJoeMorgan guys must be enjoying this.

JermaineDye05
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Fox needs to get rid of Buck and McCarver.

Actually Fox needs to leave baseball altogether.

BleacherBandit
11-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Jon Miller was the voice of "big time baseball" for me growing up. He's the voice of baseball due to the fact that I associate him with nationally televised games. What a shame.

MeteorsSox4367
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Love this quote from a poster on Deadspin:

"Joe Morgan being fired from ESPN means that Joe Morgan will no longer work for ESPN " - Joe Morgan

Awesome.

Bye, Joe. Liked you as a player. As an announcer, um, nope.

Jon Miller, however, I do like.

I'd be fine with Shulman, Hershiser and Valentine in the booth.

Boondock Saint
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Exactly. Miller has a great voice for baseball. Joe Morgan was just in the booth to promote himself.

Marqhead
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM

My exact thoughts.

KMcMahon817
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Fox needs to get rid of Buck and McCarver.

Actually Fox needs to leave baseball altogether.

This.

See ya later Joe Morgan. :D:

Brian26
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
For all of the Sox fans out there hating on Joe Morgan, keep in mind that this is one of the guys (one of the few guys) that publically went out of his way to campaign for Nellie Fox to be elected to the Hall of Fame. Morgan talked about how much Fox helped him and taught him about the game with the Colt 45s when Joe was a rookie and Nellie was a grizzled veteran.

Nellie was finally elected to the Hall in 1997, seven years after Morgan and Jon Miller began broadcasting Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN.

This is the end of an era. I loved Jon Miller's work on tv, and he's been just as good on the radio. The combination of Miller and Morgan was excellent. I'll miss their banter on Sunday nights.

Yes, I'm probably one of the few that actually likes Joe Morgan.

Tragg
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I liked them both.

Now if we could do something about Sunday night FOOTBALL and Al Michaels......

Hitmen77
11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I like Jon Miller too. I'm sorry to see him go. One less reason to tune in to Sunday Night Baseball next year.

Knowing ESPN, maybe they want to replace him with some pro Red Sox/Yankees clown.

JermaineDye05
11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I like Jon Miller too. I'm sorry to see him go. One less reason to tune in to Sunday Night Baseball next year.

Knowing ESPN, maybe they want to replace him with some pro Red Sox/Yankees clown.

That was my initial worry. Hopefully we don't have to hear anyone from Yes Network.

GoGoCrede
11-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Bye, don't bother keeping in touch.

LongLiveFisk
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Are they throwing any names out there yet?

DeadMoney
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Can we just have Gus Johnson announce every sport - for every network - and call it a day?
:redneck

JermaineDye05
11-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Are they throwing any names out there yet?

John Sterling

Foulke You
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I really won't miss either of them. Morgan was just arrogant and abrasive as a color guy and I must be in the minority here but I never liked Jon Miller's style very much. Miller never came across to me as arrogant like a Joe Buck but his annunciation of player names drove me bonkers. He always went overboard with the Spanish names and often times he would stress the wrong syllable in his sentences which I found annoying. However, while I wasn't a fan of either of them, I shudder to think who ESPN will replace them with. They may just end up promoting from within. Anyone but Berman or Sutcliffe please.

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I thought Miller was great, I'm thrilled to see Morgan gone. I wonder why they were fired.

gogosox675
11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Jon Miller was the voice of "big time baseball" for me growing up. He's the voice of baseball due to the fact that I associate him with nationally televised games. What a shame.

Me too. Joe Buck has called every World Series that I've ever watched but Jon Miller is the national baseball announcer in my book. It always made the Sunday night game feel like a big deal to me just because he was there.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Morgan, fine. But why they'd let Miller go is beyond me. He was the best they had and there was no second place.

TDog
11-09-2010, 12:35 AM
For all of the Sox fans out there hating on Joe Morgan, keep in mind that this is one of the guys (one of the few guys) that publically went out of his way to campaign for Nellie Fox to be elected to the Hall of Fame. Morgan talked about how much Fox helped him and taught him about the game with the Colt 45s when Joe was a rookie and Nellie was a grizzled veteran.

Nellie was finally elected to the Hall in 1997, seven years after Morgan and Jon Miller began broadcasting Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN.

This is the end of an era. I loved Jon Miller's work on tv, and he's been just as good on the radio. The combination of Miller and Morgan was excellent. I'll miss their banter on Sunday nights.

Joe Morgan is no worse than most baseball color men and better than a lot of them. Jon Miller is one of the all-time great baseball play-by-play men.

I didn't have access to television during the 2005 World Series, and I listened to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on ESPN radio. They were very good. Jon Miller's call of the Konerko grand slam in Game 2 provided one of my great baseball memories. I won't miss him, though, because he does Giants games.

It is a shame that Joe Morgan got to the Hall of Fame before Nellie Fox, who defined the position in the 1950s and was the second baseman Joe Morgan aspired to be when he got to the big leagues. Still, it was a classy thing for Morgan to do to campaign for Fox to get into the Hall of Fame.

Nellie_Fox
11-09-2010, 12:45 AM
For all of the Sox fans out there hating on Joe Morgan, keep in mind that this is one of the guys (one of the few guys) that publically went out of his way to campaign for Nellie Fox to be elected to the Hall of Fame. Morgan talked about how much Fox helped him and taught him about the game with the Colt 45s when Joe was a rookie and Nellie was a grizzled veteran.For this reason I have always ignored a lot of Morgan's faults. He still has nothing but good things to say about Nellie.

I like Miller.

Noneck
11-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I read a lot of complaining about this tandem but I cant think of a current national announcing team that is better.

russ99
11-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Joe Morgan is no worse than most baseball color men and better than a lot of them. Jon Miller is one of the all-time great baseball play-by-play men.

I didn't have access to television during the 2005 World Series, and I listened to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on ESPN radio. They were very good. Jon Miller's call of the Konerko grand slam in Game 2 provided one of my great baseball memories. I won't miss him, though, because he does Giants games.

It is a shame that Joe Morgan got to the Hall of Fame before Nellie Fox, who defined the position in the 1950s and was the second baseman Joe Morgan aspired to be when he got to the big leagues. Still, it was a classy thing for Morgan to do to campaign for Fox to get into the Hall of Fame.

Morgan would be the first to say how much of an effect Nellie had on helping him become a great second baseman.

Both Morgan and Miller were good and sometimes great announcers in their prime, but it's time to get some new voices in the ESPN Sunday night booth.

11-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I like Jon Miller as much as any broadcaster.

StillMissOzzie
11-09-2010, 01:05 AM

Add me to the throngs who enjoyed Miller's work but Morgan, not so much.

SMO
:gulp:

roylestillman
11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Looking like Dan Shulman is being kicked upstairs to the Sunday night gig. Not exactly a ratings grabber (according to his bio he graduated college with a degree in actuarial science....!) Even though he's been on ESPN for quite a while, I have no idea who he is.

I'll miss Jon Miller. The pre-packaged intros he did before the Sunday night games, especially the first game, were tremendous. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PLu_zm9g0

cws05champ
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Looking like Dan Shulman is being kicked upstairs to the Sunday night gig. Not exactly a ratings grabber (according to his bio he graduated college with a degree in actuarial science....!) Even though he's been on ESPN for quite a while, I have no idea who he is.

I'll miss Jon Miller. The pre-packaged intros he did before the Sunday night games, especially the first game, were tremendous. For example:

That NEVER gets old!!!!

MarkM2112
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Perhaps the Sox should get Miller...

TDog
11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Perhaps the Sox should get Miller...

He still has his everyday job doing Giants play-by-play.

salty99
11-09-2010, 02:46 PM
YES!!! Morgan was horrid and him championing Nellie to make the HOF has nothing to do with his awful broadcasting.

The rumor is Schulman, Hershiser, and Valentine taking over.

downstairs
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Good riddance on Morgan, but I'm thinking ESPN feels Joe Miller is too professional and low-key for them.

They need more "boo-ya" and "back, back, back, back, back..."

Ugh.

Baseball on ESPN is becoming more and more of a video game every year.

PaleHoser
11-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Agreed. I'd be very happy if MLB would wise-up and just move these games to MLB Network when the current contract with ESPN expires.

Viva Medias B's
11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Agreed. I'd be very happy if MLB would wise-up and just move these games to MLB Network when the current contract with ESPN expires.

That would be cool...if my cable provider would ever pick up MLB Network.

Medford Bobby
11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
That would mean no more baseball for us users of Dish Network.....:whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2010, 08:29 AM
John Sterling

:santo
"OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!"

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

It's actually becoming more of a joke every year.:angry:
At least on "the 4 letter network", as Scott Ferrall
of Sirius/XM refers to them.

soltrain21
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM

How would walking away from a monster contract from ESPN be "wising up?" It'd be stupid on baseball's part.

ewokpelts
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
my guess morgan was fired, and miller left in solidarity.

DirtySox
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
This thread needs a repost of this great piece on Morgan:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-07-06/news/say-it-ain-t-so-joe/

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I love these media threads. No one ever likes anyone. They bounce Morgan and now people are calling to bounce Buck and the rest of the Fox crew. Then someone asking about dumping the Sunday night Football crew in Al Michaels

***!

Might as well have computers in the booth. No one is ever happy with anyone. Same goes for talk radio.

gogosox675
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Shulman does a good job of focusing on the game and not himself, something that can't be said about some other people who have called baseball for ESPN. I really hope he gets the Sunday Night job.

tacosalbarojas
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Shulman does a good job of focusing on the game and not himself, something that can't be said about some other people who have called baseball for ESPN. I really hope he gets the Sunday Night job.
Outstanding! Shulman and Soup Campbell...even though they haven't worked together that much in the last couple of years are my favorite radio tandem. I'm sure Campbell won't be his partner for SNB either, but Shulman is a solid choice either way.

tstrike2000
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM

I liked Morgan, too. Miller's voice was just the epitome to me of summer baseball and, for the most part, thought he and Morgan worked pretty well together. I like Hawk Harrelson, but his ego puts Morgan's to shame, so perhaps that's one reason why Morgan never bothered me much. Plus, when there's Miller and Morgan not working together anymore, but you still have Buck and McCarver working together, something ain't right about that.

downstairs
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I love these media threads. No one ever likes anyone. They bounce Morgan and now people are calling to bounce Buck and the rest of the Fox crew. Then someone asking about dumping the Sunday night Football crew in Al Michaels

***!

Might as well have computers in the booth. No one is ever happy with anyone. Same goes for talk radio.

My take is that most national announcers suck for a specific reason- the national networks want bland, corporate talent.

wilburaga
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I always had a soft spot for Morgan. Part of it was that during Nellie Fox's wilderness years in his path to the HOF there was no louder voice calling for Nellie's enshrinement than Joe Morgan.

Brian26
11-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Outstanding! Shulman and Soup Campbell...even though they haven't worked together that much in the last couple of years are my favorite radio tandem. I'm sure Campbell won't be his partner for SNB either, but Shulman is a solid choice either way.

I liked Shulman and Soup Campbell on Sundays in 2005-2006 too. Used to listen to them on the radio quite a bit.

gobears1987
11-12-2010, 01:51 PM
John Sterling

I'll take Roger Sterling :tongue:

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2010, 10:26 AM
YES!!! Morgan was horrid and him championing Nellie to make the HOF has nothing to do with his awful broadcasting.

The rumor is Schulman, Hershiser, and Valentine taking over.

UGGHHH. I'm not a huge Morgan fan but I LOATHE Valentine with a passion. He's a two bit clown.

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Good riddance on Morgan, but I'm thinking ESPN feels Joe Miller is too professional and low-key for them.

Ugh.

Spot on!!

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2010, 10:32 AM
my guess morgan was fired, and miller left in solidarity.

People, they weren't fired. Their contracts were up and the four letter network chose not to renew them.

Brian26
11-14-2010, 12:14 PM

My comment about his campaigning for Fox's election to the HOF was in response to the sentiment that he was there only to promote himself. Whether Morgan is horrid in the booth is a matter of opinion. I happened to not mind him in the booth. Those two points, however, are not mutually exclusive.

Fenway
11-14-2010, 05:42 PM
People, they weren't fired. Their contracts were up and the four letter network chose not to renew them.

Miller will still do some ESPN games - KNBR in San Francisco wants him to focus on Giants

Dave O'Brien was offered Sunday but WEEI said NO to losing Obie all weekend

Sean McDonough in running for Sunday as is Gary Thorne

Brian26
11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Sean McDonough in running for Sunday as is Gary Thorne

Ugh. The Sox had to endure Gary Thorne for a season in the late 80s before Hawk made his return.

Thorne = good hockey announcer, awful baseball announcer.

SOXSINCE'70
11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll take Roger Sterling :tongue:

Hell, if given the choice, I'll take Sterling Sharpe and Roger Sterling over John Sterling! :puking:

Fenway
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Hell, if given the choice, I'll take Sterling Sharpe and Roger Sterling over John Sterling! :puking:

It is high..It is far - caught by Jeter

Ballgame over - Season over - Texas wins the pennant

Tragg
11-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Shulman is boring.
So is Campbell
thorne's a decent hockey announcer

asindc
11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Ugh. The Sox had to endure Gary Thorne for a season in the late 80s before Hawk made his return.

Thorne = good hockey announcer, awful baseball announcer.

I disagree. I think Thorne is also good on baseball, though I agree that he is much better on hockey (probably the best).

Lip Man 1
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Thorne lives next door in Florida to another former member of the Sox family, Jeff Torborg.

Lip

Fenway
11-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Thorne lives next door in Florida to another former member of the Sox family, Jeff Torborg.

Lip

Splits his time between Florida and his beloved Maine...he lives next door to Stephen King in Bangor

I read his column every week in the Bangor paper

http://new.bangordailynews.com/browse/gary-thorne/