PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Fridays game

Tavarin
06-28-2002, 08:44 PM
I was at the game today, got tickets in section 101. It was a great comeback and I had a great time. Here are some things that I saw.

-Wright should have only had 2 ER, not 7, Royce bobbled an obvious double play ball which would have ended the inning.
-The Sox should have had 3 errors, the bobble by Royce, the play by Valentin in which he dropped the ball when he should have tagged the guy advancing from 2nd(also would have ended the inning) and Durhams play where he grabbed a ball coming into short right field and dropped it;sure it was a hard play, but he had it.
-Bad decision by Osuna in the 7th to cut off the ball, it was a good throw that would have thrown him out.
-I had a feeling that the Sox were going to score at least some runs based on the 1st inning, where they hit 3 good balls, 2 that almost went out of the park.
-Not all Cubs fans are stupid and annoying/drunk, there were some intellgent Cubs fans there.
-But, most Cubs fans are drunk. There was a group of Cubs fans in front of me, who had around 4 beers BEFORE the Sox started scoring and around 6 after the Sox started scoring.
-Also, these same Cubs fans didn't know that the Cubs had a mascot(Woo Woo) and they had trouble remembering what inning it was multiple times.
-Also, because of these same Cubs fans, I got beer poared all over my left side twice, once because they were trying to balance 6 beers, and once because one of the Sox fans in front of me took one of the "Go Cubs" posters they had around and decided to rip it into many pieces, so she decided to toss a big glass of beer at the one in front of me and I got caught in it.
-Obviously, Paulie and Ginter had excellent games, but Lofton had a great game with 4 walks, and other than the caustly error, Royce had a good game, going 3-5.

Lets hope the Sox can capitalize on this and sweep the Scrubs.
GO SOX!

Viva Magglio
06-28-2002, 09:19 PM
I was there at Comiskey for the debacle turned glorious victory. Early on, when we were down 6-0 and then 8-0, I was already planning the mother of all "FIRE JERRY MANUEL" posts. I thought we were dead because we have NEVER come back from such a deficit all year. Yet, when the score reached 8-4, I began to think that maybe we can chase Wood and get into the Cubs bullpen. And sure enough, that is exactly what happened.

When we tied the game, I was in shock. And when we went ahead, the spirit of Jack Buck possessed me because at the time my thought was "I CAN'T BELIEVE...WHAT I JUST SAW!!!" Immediately, my fear became blowing the lead. I am sure that was a concern shared by all of us.

I was especially concerned when Manuel let Osuna start the seventh. Ginter was mowing them down, and I don't think he had all that high of a pitch count. Did he? But Osuna pitched his way out of it, and we used the bullpen just the right way to pull this out. And when we scored those three insurance runs in the ninth, a greater feeling of confidence was felt.

Now this takes us to tomorrow, and I hope Garland gives us innings. Two weeks ago against the Cubs, he was shelled. Let's hope not to see a repeat of that tomorrow. Our bats have to be ready because Jesus Prior will be on the hill.

gdcobb
06-28-2002, 10:14 PM
I was in the upper deck on Friday with my Cardinal Fan Uncle. Deluded cub fan nephew and son. What a great game. It was like the playoff where I was. The cub fans around us were ok. Got puffed up early and then fell very very quite after the stupendous comeback by the hitmen. One of the best times at a game in a long time. Last years grand slam by Lee was a great one to. You know, you don't feel as seperated from the game in the upper decks when their are people up there. Great win. I thought we were going to lose it until we struck out the shamster late and got those insurance runs.

Go sox.

Daver
06-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by gdcobb
I was in the upper deck on Friday with my Cardinal Fan Uncle. Deluded cub fan nephew and son. What a great game. It was like the playoff where I was. The cub fans around us were ok. Got puffed up early and then fell very very quite after the stupendous comeback by the hitmen. One of the best times at a game in a long time. Last years grand slam by Lee was a great one to. You know, you don't feel as seperated from the game in the upper decks when their are people up there. Great win. I thought we were going to lose it until we struck out the shamster late and got those insurance runs.

Go sox.

Welome aboard Cobb. :redneck

voodoochile
06-28-2002, 10:19 PM

Go sox.

Was it you I met at the game? Way cool win...

Start to get nervous about Foulke coming in with a one run lead, but like the cruel bastards they are, the Sox ripped the flubbie fans hearts out in a long extended 9 men to the plate bottom of the 8th to ensure there would be no more comebacks...

Welcome to WSI, keep posting, you are obviously good luck...

shbart
06-29-2002, 12:59 AM
If there was ever a time for a first post....Wow, was that a thing of beauty today or what? I bought tix for today's game when the single games went on sale. I wanted a pair, but there wasn't anything decent availble, so I decided to buy 2 single seats in the bleachers. My wife & I took off work and though she's a dreaded Cub fan, I brought her along. We were able to sit together and enjoy a great day. I almost had a heart attack when Konerko connected for his second HR (and he's on my fantasy team!). The final piece of a perfect day came when we went to Pufffers bar on Halsted after the game. There's a guy putting a Sox flag in the window. I look over and it's this White Sox fan who I sat next to at Wrigley when Kerry Wood did his Nook Laloosh imitation the Sunday before last...now that's good karma.

:)

gdcobb
06-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Was it you I met at the game? Way cool win...

Start to get nervous about Foulke coming in with a one run lead, but like the cruel bastards they are, the Sox ripped the flubbie fans hearts out in a long extended 9 men to the plate bottom of the 8th to ensure there would be no more comebacks...

Welcome to WSI, keep posting, you are obviously good luck...

Yes that was me. With my front tooth missing. Went to the game again today (Saturday). Another good one. What an ending. Osuna vs Shammy - Youre out.

Now for the sweep.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 07:07 PM

Yes that was me. With my front tooth missing. Went to the game again today (Saturday). Another good one. What an ending. Osuna vs Shammy - Youre out.

Now for the sweep.

Yeah, I was there again, too. Nice to finally meet a fellow WSI poster face to face.

Hopefully BurlyMon brings his broom tomorrow. We should be able to score some runs against Clement, but if not, there is always that flubbie bullpen to rely on...