PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Pena

LITTLE NELL
11-07-2010, 08:48 AM
If we don't sign PK, should the Sox consider Carlos Pena. Maybe a change of scenery would help his batting average. He hit .191 last year but still managed 28 hrs and 87 ribbies. I'm sure he would hit 35 Hrs playing at USCF plus he plays a better 1B than PK, has more speed and is 2 years younger. He also fills the need for a LH bat in the middle of the lineup. Watching the Rays as much as I do I think he would be someone to consider, he is a good guy and would be a team leader.
Bad news is Bor-ass is his agent.

guillen4life13
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
If we don't sign PK, should the Sox consider Carlos Pena. Maybe a change of scenery would help his batting average. He hit .191 last year but still managed 28 hrs and 87 ribbies. I'm sure he would hit 35 Hrs playing at USCF plus he plays a better 1B than PK, has more speed and is 2 years younger. He also fills the need for a LH bat in the middle of the lineup. Watching the Rays as much as I do I think he would be someone to consider, he is a good guy and would be a team leader.
Bad news is Bor-ass is his agent.

He's like a left handed Andruw Jones. I'd pass, personally.

EMachine10
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure we need another player who can't hit above .220.

cards press box
11-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Carlos Pena's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penaca01.shtml) are pretty interesting. He has a career average of .241 but a career OBP of .351, a career slugging average of .490 and a career OPS of .841. Pena has averaged 36 home runs per year during the last 4 years. He is also an excellent first baseman.

If the Sox could get Pena at a fair price (a big "if," I admit, given his agent), then why not sign Pena and bring back Paul Konerko to DH and play some 1B? It's true that Pena's batting average last year was .196 and yet, even last year, his OBP was .325. Pena is coming off a down year but, who knows, he may have struggled because of distraction with his contract situation. I'll say this: an infield of Brent Morel, Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and Pena would be tops defensively. And Pena would bring lefthanded power to the Sox.

DirtySox
11-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't be against a Pena signing if it was for a reasonable amount. I think he's in line for a bounce-back season. 1 year and an option would be preferrable. Though with Boras, that probably won't happen.

And agree with Cards. That IF would be fantastic defensively.

russ99
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Carlos Pena's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penaca01.shtml) are pretty interesting. He has a career average of .241 but a career OBP of .351, a career slugging average of .490 and a career OPS of .841. Pena has averaged 36 home runs per year during the last 4 years. He is also an excellent first baseman.

If the Sox could get Pena at a fair price (a big "if," I admit, given his agent), then why not sign Pena and bring back Paul Konerko to DH and play some 1B? It's true that Pena's batting average last year was .196 and yet, even last year, his OBP was .325. Pena is coming off a down year but, who knows, he may have struggled because of distraction with his contract situation. I'll say this: an infield of Brent Morel, Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and Pena would be tops defensively. And Pena would bring lefthanded power to the Sox.

In this scenario where Konerko comes back to DH, I'd prefer Derek Lee over Pena, since as at the plate Pena's power or nothing.

Lee may be getting on in years but still can hit the baseball, is no slouch defensively, and would probably sign for a lot less than whatever Boras is dreaming up for Pena.

SoxSpeed22
11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
He's great defensively, but I would only sign him in the nuclear scenario. If Paulie leaves and they can't get anyone else.

PalehosePlanet
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Pena has played himself into a 1-6/2-12 type of deal. You'd think that even w/Boras as his agent he doesn't have much leverage. However, my thinking is that Boras' strategy will be to go after a crappy team, ala The Nats, in hopes that they overpay for Pena. Or, if they offer a deal, to create some leverage, with other teams.

As for The Sox: I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him on the cheap as he is a definite buy-low player who can bounce back and contribute.

Lip Man 1
11-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Adam LaRoche has just had a 25 home run, 100 RBI season for Arizona and was non tendered. He's a left handed hitter. If Konerko leaves, he should be the Sox target in my opinion.

Lip

Brian26
11-07-2010, 03:21 PM
In this scenario where Konerko comes back to DH, I'd prefer Derek Lee over Pena, since as at the plate Pena's power or nothing.

Lee may be getting on in years but still can hit the baseball, is no slouch defensively, and would probably sign for a lot less than whatever Boras is dreaming up for Pena.

Lee looked like he was done at the end of last year. He's scheduled for offseason surgery too. Big risk to try to sign him to replace Paulie.

DirtySox
11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Adam LaRoche has just had a 25 home run, 100 RBI season for Arizona and was non tendered. He's a left handed hitter. If Konerko leaves, he should be the Sox target in my opinion.

Lip

I'd be fine with Adam LaRoche. I still don't understand why the Sox didn't go after him in the Hudson/Jackson deal.

asindc
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd be fine with Adam LaRoche. I still don't understand why the Sox didn't go after him in the Hudson/Jackson deal.

How do we know they didn't?

TheOldRoman
11-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd be fine with Adam LaRoche. I still don't understand why the Sox didn't go after him in the Hudson/Jackson deal.Right before the deadline Arizona pulled LaRoche off the trade table and said they wanted to sign him to an extension. They aren't the best front office.

Lillian
11-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Having both Konerko and D. Lee in the lineup would be fine, but it doesn't address the lack of a left handed presence. Since they are both free agents, their acquisitions would likely require all of the Sox' remaining financial resources.
Do you have a trade in mind that might satisfy the glaring need for a left handed, middle of the order hitter?