PDA

View Full Version : Vlad will be a FA

windycityson
11-03-2010, 06:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5761304

ESPN reported that Vlad Guerrero's option will not be picked up by Texas. Do you think that he would be a viable DH? I think adding him would definately bring a boost. I would rather have a lefty bat with pop in the lineup, but I would agree if this move was made.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I would rather the Sox concentrate their money and efforts on acquiring the player that they should have signed last year - Adrian Beltre.

WhiteSox5187
11-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I would rather the Sox concentrate their money and efforts on acquiring the player that they should have signed last year - Adrian Beltre.

That's not going to happen as Morel is the man for third and I don't mind that. I would love to see the Sox make a run at Vlad but then they're going to have to move Quentin because neither one can play RF at all.

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Why would the Sox spend gobs of money on Beltre when they actually have a decent and cheap in house option? That money needs to be allocated towards a C, 1B, DH/RF, and the bullpen.

tm1119
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
1. We missed the boat on Vlad last year when he was a cheap bounce back option. He's coming off of a great year and is going to get paid in a multi year deal by someone. His legs are way too unreliable to do that. I don't trust that guy being able to walk down a flight of steps without hurting a leg.

2. People here are waaayyyy too high on Morel. I'm not saying that Beltre is or should be an option, but penciling in Brent Morel as our opening day starter is
far from a good option. He didn't walk or hit for a good amount of power in the minors to think that he's going to be able to come into the majors and be a productivee offensive player. Hate to come off as negative all the time, but Brent Morel shouldn't be the answer as our starting 3b if we have high aspirations going into the seasons.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Why would the Sox spend gobs of money on Beltre when they actually have a decent and cheap in house option? That money needs to be allocated towards a C, 1B, DH/RF, and the bullpen.

Well, because your decent and cheap in house option couldn't hold Beltre's jock. Brent Morel hasn't posted the kind of minor league numbers that would make one believe that he is ready to contribute at the major league level.

I don't dispute the logic in general as I wish they had applied it to the Edwin Jackson acquisition. If they had, there would be more money available to fill the aforementioned holes.

WhiteSox5187
11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, because your decent and cheap in house option couldn't hold Beltre's jock. Brent Morel hasn't posted the kind of minor league numbers that would make one believe that he is ready to contribute at the major league level.

I don't dispute the logic in general as I wish they had applied it to the Edwin Jackson acquisition. If they had, there would be more money available to fill the aforementioned holes.

Morel hit .300 with an .800 OPS every year in the minors. I don't think he's going to do that, but if he hits about .250 with some power (kind of like Crede's numbers pre-2005) and stellar defense I'd be thrilled.

BringHomeDaBacon
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Morel hit .300 with an .800 OPS every year in the minors. I don't think he's going to do that, but if he hits about .250 with some power (kind of like Crede's numbers pre-2005) and stellar defense I'd be thrilled.

A. In 2009 he hit .281 with an OPS of .788 so your first statement is a bit of an exaggeration. (although his .305 lifetime AVG is good)

B. Last year he only hit 10 HRs with an OPS of .839 (.480 SLG) at the age of 23. So if he is going to hit for any power, it has not developed yet.

[Crede, by comparison, hit 24 HR in 93 games with an OPS of .930 at the age of 24 in 2002 prior to being called up for good.]

I'm not writing off Morel, but his numbers seem to indicate that he most likely isn't quite yet ready. We're probably looking at at least half a season of Omar/Teahen at third.

TDog
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I really wouldn't want to see the Sox pick up any offensive player who can't play defense. The team seems to have enough of that already.

Brian26
11-03-2010, 11:03 PM
If the Sox could afford him, I'd take Beltre's bat in the DH slot. He seems to overachieve in small ballparks. The guy could go bonkers at the Cell.

The jury is out on Beltre's defense. Gold Gloves are meaningless, but he won two in a row recently. I've seen him make some nice picks during games on tv. He's probably got better range than Teahen and a stronger arm than Omar.

Zisk77
11-03-2010, 11:21 PM
If the Sox could afford him, I'd take Beltre's bat in the DH slot. He seems to overachieve in small ballparks. The guy could go bonkers at the Cell.

The jury is out on Beltre's defense. Gold Gloves are meaningless, but he won two in a row recently. I've seen him make some nice picks during games on tv. He's probably got better range than Teahen and a stronger arm than Omar.

Beltre is a great defensive 3b. That being said, whoever gets him will have to way overpay to get him. Seattle couldn't give him away with the salary the paid him. thats the danger with signing him. I say give Morel a shot and spend the money on a younger more versatile player or at least a lefthanded slugger.

PalehosePlanet
11-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Beltre's agent is Boras, and he's coming off of a great year. He's not coming here.

As for Vlad, I'd love to have him if he would accept a two year deal to DH. We could always pick up a fairly cheap option at 1st such as Adam Laroche for about 6-7 million a year, which would also fill our need for a left handed bat.

Q could always be moved, but if not there aren't to many options as far as RF is concerned. We'd probably have to bide our time for another year until a better option emerges.

tstrike2000
11-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Not going to happen with Morel and if Paulie leaves, that'll be a huge spot to fill in the middle of the order.

Red Barchetta
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Pass. Vlad has always reminded me of the American League Alfonso Soriano.

We've seen him shut down in the post season on more than one occassion as well.

I say the SOX keep looking....

AzureJazzMan
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Vlad is about done folks...Perception of his "great year" are somewhat slanted. As an example, things like 20 of his 29 home runs came BEFORE the All-Star Break. He is just another iteration of Andruw Jones with less speed and more injury prone, IMHO.

Brian26
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Vlad is about done folks...Perception of his "great year" are somewhat slanted. As an example, things like 20 of his 29 home runs came BEFORE the All-Star Break. He is just another iteration of Andruw Jones with less speed and more injury prone, IMHO.

I wouldn't touch Vlad just based on the way he disappeared in the 2005 playoffs.

Foulke You
11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't touch Vlad just based on the way he disappeared in the 2005 playoffs.
He also disappeared in the 2010 playoffs hitting only .220 and he went only 1 for 14 in the World Series. With that violent swing of his, I think Vlad breaks down physically by the time October rolls around. I wouldn't break the bank for him but you could certainly do worse as an every day DH. We saw that last year on the Sox, unfortunately.

windycityson
11-07-2010, 06:01 AM

I agree with that but look at what staff he faced in the ALCS...:D:

Cheers to that...:cheers:

palehozenychicty
11-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Vlad is about kaput.