PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P., Sparky Anderson (updated title)

thomas35forever
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/11/hall-of-famer-sparky-anderson-in-hospice-care/1
:(:

Oblong
11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
This has shaken me up a bit.

We lost Fidrych and Kell last year, this year Ernie passed, and having family members, including my father this year, go through hospice, I know what that means. Very tough 2 years for the Tigers family.

When Ernie passed they interviewed him from Thousand Oaks and he really did not look or sound good.

His enduring legacy in Detroit is not the championship he brought or the great teams. It's the work he did for Children's Hospital. The only public display for Sparky at Comerica Park is him hugging a kid. That's Sparky.

Godspeed.

tstrike2000
11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
One of the great managers of all-time and a standup guy. Whenever the time comes, I hope his passing is a peaceful one.

Chez
11-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Sad news. I always associate Sparky with the Big Red Machine but he managed the Tigers for 17 years and the Reds for 9.

Fenway
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Back in 1988 or so - We asked Sparky to shoot a PSA at Fenway for a group home of "challenged children" and he said yes in a heartbeat.

He befriended one of the children in the spot and wound up helping to pay for his college tuition.

Wonderful man

We lost Fidrych and Kell last year, this year Ernie passed, and having family members, including my father this year, go through hospice, I know what that means. Very tough 2 years for the Tigers family.

When Ernie passed they interviewed him from Thousand Oaks and he really did not look or sound good.

His enduring legacy in Detroit is not the championship he brought or the great teams. It's the work he did for Children's Hospital. The only public display for Sparky at Comerica Park is him hugging a kid. That's Sparky.

Godspeed.

Ex-Chicagoan
11-03-2010, 01:21 PM
For the longest time, he was the only man to win the World Series for both leagues. From all accounts a quality man, not just a baseball man.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Great guy, still remember when he appeared on WKRP in Cincinnati.

Lip

downstairs
11-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Godspeed.

Indeed, as a Detroit fan (I assume) there sure has been a lot of bad news in terms of people who defined your team's- and city's- legacy. I wish Sparky the best. He is 76, so no matter what, he's lived a good life.

GlassSox
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Very sad news indeed, best wishes to Sparky and his family.

LongLiveFisk
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I just saw this thread, and the news makes me sad.

I always liked Sparky. He just seemed like a very decent guy who really respected the game of baseball. I never saw arrogance or unprofessionalism from him as a manager. Just a great baseball mind and very well-respected by everyone in the baseball world. Very sad.

Fenway
11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Classic Sparky story from the 1975 World Series. There was a 4 day rain delay before Game 6 and the Reds decided to have a practice at Tufts University in Medford. The bus got lost and Sparky got off and walked into a Somerville bar to ask directions.

Bartender of course is shocked to see Sparky in full uniform and offers to buy him a drink. Sparky declined but said I will be back and 2 hours later he was.

Bar still has the pictures.

thomas35forever
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Just came across the AP wire that Sparky has died. That was way too quick.:(:

Ex-Chicagoan
11-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Just saw that too.... very sad.

WhiteSox5187
11-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Very sad. RIP.

Fenway
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20101104/SPORTS02/101104060/1318/Tigers-legend-Sparky-Anderson-dies-at-76

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/anderson_sparky.jpg

Jerko
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
:whiner: loved the Big Red Machine. RIP Sparky

tstrike2000
11-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Rest in peace to one of the truly great guys and great managers.

Fenway
11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
ESPN Classic will televise a tribute to Sparky Anderson tonight beginning at 8pm Eastern

Risk
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
RIP Sparky.

Risk

Fenway
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Lip

Here is the episode

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ooj9_38-1_shortfilms#from=embed

g0g0
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
RIP to a great manager.

MeteorsSox4367
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
From what I've read and heard over the years, Sparky was indeed a great person and great baseball man.

The Reds were the first NL team I saw in Chicago as a kid in 1975.

RIP, sir. Thank you for all that you did for baseball.

korhead
11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Sad day, indeed. I "managed" the Big Red Machine in our Strat-O-Matic league back in the 70's. Never could figure out why Sparky led off w. Rose and not Morgan.

From all that I've heard and read, a genuinely good guy. RIP, Sparky

Oblong
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
I shed some tears today, I really did. Indulge me for a bit but I'm 37 years old and I've lost a lot of my childhood in terms of sports the last 2 years. George Kell was the Tigers TV announcer when I grew up, (Before every game was on TV, getting to see your team was a treat and he was voice of that), Mark Fidrych was the first guy I remember seeing as a toddler, Ernie Harwell, Chuck Daly passed earlier this year, Bob Probert this summer, and now Sparky.

Here's a cool video I'd like to share. I don't know how much of the backstory is known. It's game 5 of the 1984 WS. Tigers up 3-1 in the series, and 5-4 in the 8th inning. Gibson was coming up with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Gossage owned Gibson so far in his career, just owned him,struck him out on 3 pitches in Gibby's debut against him. Dick Williams wanted to put him on but Gossage talked him out of it. Gibson hit a 3 run shot that sealed the series. I'll never forget Vin Scully's call... "There's the story of the game, of the series, of the year." 1984 is a year I'll never forget and Sparky was the face of that team. I was a fan for life after that. 11 years old and you see that, you figure it's a pretty simple concept. You watch a team grow up, they win the WS.

Sparky was mic'd up and the cool thing is the camera is on him the whole time.

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/04/10/Classic-homer-through-Sparkys-eyes/landing.html?blockID=346145&feedID=3706

SI1020
11-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I shed some tears today, I really did. Indulge me for a bit but I'm 37 years old and I've lost a lot of my childhood in terms of sports the last 2 years. George Kell was the Tigers TV announcer when I grew up, (Before every game was on TV, getting to see your team was a treat and he was voice of that), Mark Fidrych was the first guy I remember seeing as a toddler, Ernie Harwell, Chuck Daly passed earlier this year, Bob Probert this summer, and now Sparky.

Here's a cool video I'd like to share. I don't know how much of the backstory is known. It's game 5 of the 1984 WS. Tigers up 3-1 in the series, and 5-4 in the 8th inning. Gibson was coming up with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Gossage owned Gibson so far in his career, just owned him,struck him out on 3 pitches in Gibby's debut against him. Dick Williams wanted to put him on but Gossage talked him out of it. Gibson hit a 3 run shot that sealed the series. I'll never forget Vin Scully's call... "There's the story of the game, of the series, of the year." 1984 is a year I'll never forget and Sparky was the face of that team. I was a fan for life after that. 11 years old and you see that, you figure it's a pretty simple concept. You watch a team grow up, they win the WS.

Sparky was mic'd up and the cool thing is the camera is on him the whole time.

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/04/10/Classic-homer-through-Sparkys-eyes/landing.html?blockID=346145&feedID=3706 Great link. I really miss going to games at old Tiger Stadium. Another baseball palace gone but not forgotten. Only old Comiskey is dearer to my heart.

palehozenychicty
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
RIP. Sparky was one of the best. Hands down.

Fenway
11-04-2010, 10:31 PM
All you need to know about Sparky and how he felt about the game

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/11/the_conscience_of_baseball_199.html

gogosox675
11-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Sparky was always one of my dad's favorite managers. RIP, Sparky.

Dan H
11-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Lip

That was a truly funny show. He had just been fired by the Reds. The plot had Anderson try his luck at talk radio. He was a disaster and the WKRP management had to fire him. Anderson told them it was okay; it had been done to him before. He came across as so decent and showed he had a great sense of humor to do this show. A really classic WKRP.

ewokpelts
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I feel bad about this for two reasons.

1. It's always sad to see a baseball lifer go. And especially the way he did, with his health falling aprt so fat.

2. When guys like Sparky die, a lot of stuff ends up on ebay trying to cash in on the news. I had aquired a few autos of his a few weeks ago with the express purpose of reselling(not knowing that he was in bad health, just that it was a good deal, and i can flip a few bucks off of it). I dont typically do "vulture sales" but I have these autos up. Again, I had always meant to sell these, and this just happened to happen when i put a bunch of items up for sale on ebay(hawks stuff, other baseball autographs).

Still feel bad though. It's not like when buehrle had the perfect game where it's a positive thing ebayers are looking for.

Fenway
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Mitch Albom writes

http://www.freep.com/article/20101105/COL01/11050468/1319/Losing-Sparky-is-like-losing-one-of-the-family

Fenway
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Bill Madden

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/11/05/2010-11-05_rest_in_peace_sparky.html?page=1

voodoochile
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Sad news indeed...

:rip: