Juan Pierre-
Andruw Jones-
Manny Ramirez-
Mark Kotsay-

We got Juan for one more year.

Rikirk
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Seriously...
The way everyone has been complaining about Mark Kotsay this year, does anyone really think he'll be back?

I really want to see AJ and PK return.

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
AJ was on Inside Pitch and talked about his impending future:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1091292942/images_normal.jpeg
JimBowdenXMFOX (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimBowdenXMFOX) JIM BOWDEN
A.J. Pierzynski just told us that his FA criteria is 1. Winning team 2. Play every day 3. Proximity to home 4. ST in Florida 5. quick flight home
32 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29606967339)
Pierzynski just told us that TB,FLA,BOS, TX & SD would all be good fits for him....and the WSOX have not made him an offer during excl perod
30 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29607131749)
Pierzynski said that the ship has not sailed on the White Sox yet and he would like to return...but they are going to have to want him first
29 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29607292333)

windycityson
11-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd love Paulie and AJ back. Hopefully our bullpen can get their crap together to hold down a lead.

SoxSpeed22
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
It looks like Tampa will suit AJ just fine.
As far as the other guys, Kotsay was good for the clubhouse, but we can do better. I would rather see Konerko back, but if he wants to go west and gets a lot of money, then there are options. Putz can come back, especially if Bobby is gone. I don't think we need the other guys.

WhiteSox5187
11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I can not for the life of me understand why the Sox wouldn't make an offer on AJ. There aren't many better options out there and there are ZERO options within the Sox system. Flowers behind the plate next year would be a disaster.

tm1119
11-03-2010, 06:03 PM
PK has to come back. Putz is 1 of the better FA relievers out there so want to see him back as well. Andruw isn't a bad 4th OF so if we can get him for cheap he'd be welcomed back. Aj is far from necessary in my eyes. He made 6.25 this year, personally I wouldn't give him a dime over 3.5. If he takes that good, if not he's pretty easy to replace. Please don't bring Kotsay back though.

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I can not for the life of me understand why the Sox wouldn't make an offer on AJ. There aren't many better options out there and there are ZERO options within the Sox system. Flowers behind the plate next year would be a disaster.

I have no problem with AJ walking as long as it isn't Flowers/Castro behind the plate. AJ is entirely replaceable by many veteran catchers. He is way overvalued around here.

Dibbs
11-03-2010, 06:37 PM
As far as the other guys, Kotsay was good for the clubhouse, but we can do better. I would rather see Konerko back, but if he wants to go west and gets a lot of money, then there are options. Putz can come back, especially if Bobby is gone. I don't think we need the other guys.

Please. Kotsay did nothing for the clubhouse. If we bring this guy back, I won't know what to think.

konerko 14
11-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd like to see them bring back PK, AJ, Putz, and Garcia. they don't need Manny, Kotsay, or Jones. The Sox could also try to get Vlad as the DH.

soltrain21
11-03-2010, 06:55 PM

He couldn't have been that great.

Daver
11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
He is way overvalued around here.

That depends on what skills you value, if you are looking at purely mathematically measurable skills then probably, if you can grasp things outside that realm, perhaps not.

ChiSoxGal85
11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I have no problem with AJ walking as long as it isn't Flowers/Castro behind the plate. AJ is entirely replaceable by many veteran catchers. He is way overvalued around here.

Looks like Miguel Olivo is looking for a starting job, per mlbtraderumours.

Rockies decline option on Miguel Olivo (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/rockies-decline-option-for-miguel-olivo.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 07:41 PM
That depends on what skills you value, if you are looking at purely mathematically measurable skills then probably, if you can grasp things outside that realm, perhaps not.

:wink:

psyclonis
11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Hopefully KW resigns Jones to be the full time (70%+) RF. 6M/2yr? (still cheaper than Teahen)

Doubt we'll find/afford anyone better than Jones via FA.

soltrain21
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Hopefully KW resigns Jones to be the full time (70%+) RF. 6M/2yr? (still cheaper than Teahen)

Hello third place.

russ99
11-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Can't believe that all the Teahen hate around here is even skewing Andruw Jones into a decent player worthy of 2/$6M

Are we that starved for a few homers that we'll take a right fielder with a .230 average and 73Ks in 278 AB?

DirtySox
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Can't believe that all the Teahen hate around here is even skewing Andruw Jones into a decent player worthy of 2/$6M

Are we that starved for a few homers that we'll take a right fielder with a .230 average and 73Ks in 278 AB?

Oh no, a 26% K rate and an .827 OPS with good defense. Oh no, a 1.8 fWAR as merely a part time player. An atrocious .364 wOBA.

Andruw was worth his contract last year and than some. That doesn't mean he should be signed to a 2 year deal as a guaranteed starter, but don't act like he was bad last year in his role. Hello misconceptions.

SoxSpeed22
11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Andruw is just fine as a 4th outfielder. He can play all positions and will always make a good defensive replacement. He can occasionally hit for power too. Just don't need him to do more than a 4th outfielder.

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh no, a 26% K rate and an .827 OPS with good defense. Oh no, a 1.8 fWAR as merely a part time player. An atrocious .364 wOBA.
:facepalm:

You do know that a LOT of posters on here have no idea what those things mean, don't you?

doublem23
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM

This is the braintrust that thought Mark Teahen could be an everyday 3B, so... god only knows.

doublem23
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
:facepalm:

You do know that a LOT of posters on here have no idea what those things mean, don't you?

If only there was some "engine" for "searching" unknown terms on an "internet" of the world's knowledge.

One day... One day.

TaylorStSox
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm not a big stat guy either. With that said, AJ pretty much sucks. He cant hit. He cant throw anyone out. He may "call a good game," but that didnt help us much last year. Our staff vastly underachieved. So what does he add?

DickAllen72
11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm not a big stat guy either. With that said, AJ pretty much sucks. He cant hit. He cant throw anyone out. He may "call a good game," but that didnt help us much last year. Our staff vastly underachieved. So what does he add?
AJ hits well for a catcher (and being a left-handed hitting catcher is a plus), his arm is only a little less than average for a catcher and he is very durable and handles the pitching staff extremely well.

AJ does not suck.

Now, if the Sox can improve over AJ at catcher, fine. But I doubt they will find anyone as good for less than what AJ will cost them. And you can't completely disregard the intangibles AJ brings to the Sox.

Taliesinrk
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM

:puking:

WhiteSox5187
11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Andruw is just fine as a 4th outfielder. He can play all positions and will always make a good defensive replacement. He can occasionally hit for power too. Just don't need him to do more than a 4th outfielder.

I agree with this totally. I have no problem with Jones coming back so long as it is as the fourth outfielder.

Tragg
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
The clubhouse? My lord

We're stuck with TEahen - there's your Kotsay.

TaylorStSox
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
AJ hits well for a catcher (and being a left-handed hitting catcher is a plus), his arm is only a little less than average for a catcher and he is very durable and handles the pitching staff extremely well.

AJ does not suck.

Now, if the Sox can improve over AJ at catcher, fine. But I doubt they will find anyone as good for less than what AJ will cost them. And you can't completely disregard the intangibles AJ brings to the Sox.

AJ used to be a good hitter for a catcher. His arm is more than a tad below average. If he does handle a staff well, it didnt result in much last year. He is certainly durable. He is left handed. I'll give him that. But, I just dont see the intangibles. If anything intangibles are part of what this team is really hurting for. He isnt helping us to stop curring out to the division. The only real argument I can understand is keeping him because there arent any other options.
I understand that he is a fan favorite. I'm grateful for the past. Its time to move on. The culture of this team needs to change. Letting AJ walk seems to be the most logical move imo.

Brian26
11-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Please no.

Domeshot17
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
AJ has one skill, he calls a decent game. That skill did not translate much last year, and I think it is just time to move on. AJ and Buehrle have been living on what they used to do for a while, and they are not even close to worth the collective 20 mil they make. A good defensive C isn't hard to find and AJ is no longer anywhere close to above average offensively.

If we are tight on money, that is the fat right there to be trimmed. A league average at best C and our 5th best SP can't consume that much payroll, especially when we are crying poor.

kufram
11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
It may be time to start to look elsewhere for a catcher, but AJ does not suck. The inability to throw runners out is not entirely AJ's fault. Didn't he end up hitting .270 last year? There is nothing wrong with that from your catcher. AJ doesn't make many mental errors on the field and he brings some grit and leadership style that we are not in strong supply of.

Like a few others AJ had a terrible start with the bat, and it is easy to remember that, but he hit very well later. I think he was the negative of PK in a contract year. Some players play well in a contract year, some don't. PK does (as he has proven twice). AJ and JD... not so much. It would not surprise me if AJ has a career year next year wherever he is.

I say try to keep him.... unless you have another guy ready to go NOW. We don't.

WhiteSoxFTW
11-05-2010, 10:48 AM
What's the word on re-signing Putz? I think that would be a big step to having a competitive bullpen next year.

DirtySox
11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
What's the word on re-signing Putz? I think that would be a big step to having a competitive bullpen next year.

I'd be surprised if he's resigned. He showed enough to warrant more then a single year deal and teams will offer him a closing job. It would be wise to merely offer him arbitration and pocket the draft pick. Was a very good signing by KW.

WhiteSoxFTW
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd be surprised if he's resigned. He showed enough to warrant more then a single year deal and teams will offer him a closing job. It would be wise to merely offer him arbitration and pocket the draft pick. Was a very good signing by KW.

Which would be a win for the Sox either way. He is a "Type B" free agent. I'd still like to see him back.