PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy it San Francisco fans....

Fenway
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Winning changes EVERYTHING as a fan

Certainly fans of the White Sox and Red Sox understand this better than anyone recently and now fans of the San Francisco Giants will learn.

I know watching the end last night I thought of my friends in San Francisco in The City itself who have lived and died with the team. But more importantly instead of being jealous of watching yet another team win I simply thought back to the warm feelings I had in 2004 with Boston and I am sure many of you thought back to 2005.

We no longer end every season wondering 'Will I ever see my team win it all?'

Funny I thought back to a TV movie of the week from the early 70's where the plot was 3 San Francisco Giants fans who became friends because they were season ticket holders who then at Candlestick plotted to rob a bank. The movie starred Peter Falk, Peter Lawford and Vic Morrow.

Certainly fans of the Giants have known bitter disappointment since 1958. Game 7 of 1962, the Earthquake Series of 1989, Games 6 and 7 in Anahein in 2002 and watching the A's win 4 World Series.

Thing about The City is it is very much like an older Eastern or Midwestern city where at night you can walk down a street and hear Jon Miller on KNBR radio coming through many a window.

Enjoy it San Francisco

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs562.ash2/148449_1629256844014_1014362077_31732647_1578731_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs972.snc4/76584_1629256564007_1014362077_31732646_4683375_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs466.ash2/73916_1629255843989_1014362077_31732644_4378265_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs992.snc4/76555_1629258724061_1014362077_31732649_769370_n.j pg

mrs. hendu
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for posting the newspaper covers.
I'm very happy for San Francisco because it's one of my favorite cities (and it doesn't hurt that the Giants are in the NL). Congratulations!

Fenway
11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
The NY Daily News FRONT PAGE

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/11/02/gal_backpage_101102.jpg

asindc
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Fenway,

I think you are on the money with this one. I certainly am more at peace with following the Sox since 2005, feeling none of the anxiety I used to feel after every failed season (1983, 1993, and 1994 were especially painful). While I'm still quite upset when they don't meet expectations, it's not like before 2005. SF is also one of my favorite cities, the Giants have always been a fun team to watch, and Uribe is one of my favorite former Sox players. I'm glad that Giant fans who were born after 1954 or became fans after 1958 now get to feel that same feeling.

WhiteSoxFTW
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
The Giants have always been my favorite NL team. I was really rooting for them to win. I personally drew some parallels from the 2010 Giants to the 2005 White Sox. I think the "group of misfits" mentality shared by some of the SF players could fit several players on that '05 team.

Congrats SF!

Harry Potter
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Finally, a Fenway post that doesn't make me want to :puking:

Congrats SF Giants fans! :gulp:

TDog
11-02-2010, 05:33 PM
You are probably right about winning changing fans. Going into 2005, I heard a lot of, "I just want to see the Sox win once before I die." Now I hear fans frustrated that it's been five years.

There certainly has been a lot of frustration among Giants fans, probably more than White Sox fans. The SF Giants had never won it. And they had come so close. When the Giants came to San Francisco, they were an elite NL team with Willie Mays, and they would soon pick up Willie McCovey. When you consider how they hit playing their home games in Candlestick, you have a better appreciation for their talents.

The parade tomorrow will be epic. But I expect it will only be a few months before fans start whining and calling into KNBR to complain that Bruce Boche is an expletive idiot.

MisterB
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
You are probably right about winning changing fans. Going into 2005, I heard a lot of, "I just want to see the Sox win once before I die." Now I hear fans frustrated that it's been five years.

Yeah, the complaining changed from "We haven't won a World Series in 87 years" to "We've only won one World Series in the last 93 years"...:cool:

Fenway
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
The 4 fanbases that can't seem to appreciate past wins

Yankees
Cowboys
Canadiens
Lakers

Celtics fans while disapponted about losing Game 7 were still thrilled with season.

Steelers fans seem the same that as long as team plays hard they can live with result.

Then you have some franchises that hang onto one title way too long (looking at Halas Hall)

List of cursed franchises shrinking however

Cleveland (all 3)
Lions
Maple Leafs

and a certain baseball team in a large Midwestern city

chisoxfanatic
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Yankees
Cowboys
Canadiens
Lakers

Celtics fans while disapponted about losing Game 7 were still thrilled with season.

Steelers fans seem the same that as long as team plays hard they can live with result.

Then you have some franchises that hang onto one title way too long (looking at Halas Hall)

Cleveland (all 3)
Lions
Maple Leafs

Might you put the Bills and Vikings in there too?

Fenway
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Might you put the Bills and Vikings in there too?

At least the Bills and Vikings have been to the Super Bowl...

Buffalo is just snakebit. Nobody knows what will happen when Ralph Wilson dies. Toronto lurks 90 miles away but the Rogers Centre games are way overpriced. This year they counting on Bears fans to sell the place out.

Fenway
11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
U4JyNDT3HoI

ernie14
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
The best part for me.

They won it all without Barry Bonds ( Bar-roid Bonds )

Screw you Bar-roid, they won it all without you and your syringes

Still as smug as ever Bar-roid

:cheers:

voodoochile
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Fenway,

I think you are on the money with this one. I certainly am more at peace with following the Sox since 2005, feeling none of the anxiety I used to feel after every failed season (1983, 1993, and 1994 were especially painful). While I'm still quite upset when they don't meet expectations, it's not like before 2005. SF is also one of my favorite cities, the Giants have always been a fun team to watch, and Uribe is one of my favorite former Sox players. I'm glad that Giant fans who were born after 1954 or became fans after 1958 now get to feel that same feeling.

Well said and I completely agree. Having recently moved to the Bay Area I was rooting for the locals to get their parade. WHen the final out was recorded my reaction was one of happiness for them, not angst over when I would get to feel the same thing.

Guess I'm just lucky because all of my most favorite teams have won a championship in my lifetime when I was old enough to follow and remember the moments.

Congrats to my fellow Bay Area friends. I am happy for you all.

LongLiveFisk
11-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Yankees
Cowboys
Canadiens
Lakers

Too much success can spoil fans. I remember when the Bulls kept winning back in the '90s that the city almost seemed unfazed by it towards the end. It was as if it was expected.

jdm2662
11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Too much success can spoil fans. I remember when the Bulls kept winning back in the '90s that the city almost seemed unfazed by it towards the end. It was as if it was expected.

Yep, and don't forget all those pretend championships they could've won, and how dare Jordan retiring, Krause being around, etc. They won six titles in eight years. It will never happen again in our lifetimes. Quit bitching about it and be thankful you lived it. Those teams were beyond amazing.

gogosox675
11-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Cleveland (all 3)
Lions
Maple Leafs

What about the LA Clippers? I don't think they have an official curse, but they should.

palehozenychicty
11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Nowadays I'm hungry for another 6 Bulls titles! :tongue:

TDog
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
The best part for me.

They won it all without Barry Bonds ( Bar-roid Bonds )

Screw you Bar-roid, they won it all without you and your syringes

Still as smug as ever Bar-roid

:cheers:
Consider this, if it makes you feel any better.

I understand that Willie Mays and Willie McCovey will get World Series rings, not because they have statues outside the ballpark, but because they are on the Giants payroll. I'm not quite sure in what capacity, but this is what I heard. The Giants apparently take care of their old stars, even though Mays and McCovey ended their playing careers with other teams.

I heard Barry Bonds say on television that he wants one, but he added that he will have to buy his own.

ewokpelts
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Consider this, if it makes you feel any better.

I understand that Willie Mays and Willie McCovey will get World Series rings, not because they have statues outside the ballpark, but because they are on the Giants payroll. I'm not quite sure in what capacity, but this is what I heard. The Giants apparently take care of their old stars, even though Mays and McCovey ended their playing careers with other teams.

I heard Barry Bonds say on television that he wants one, but he added that he will have to buy his own.Rings are typically issued to anyone on a team's payroll. Moose Skowron got a ring in 05 becuase of this.

But a team can issue out a ring to anyone they please. Jerry gave out rings to all the players with retired #s(including the dead ones), as well as to former owners. The bertuccis even got rings.

Fenway
11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
What about the LA Clippers? I don't think they have an official curse, but they should.

actually they do

http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2009/07/banner.jpg

Fenway
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
The parade has started

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=7759671

TDog
11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Rings are typically issued to anyone on a team's payroll. Moose Skowron got a ring in 05 becuase of this.

But a team can issue out a ring to anyone they please. Jerry gave out rings to all the players with retired #s(including the dead ones), as well as to former owners. The bertuccis even got rings.

You're right, of course, and Barry Bonds was obviously trolling for a ring. Management had made it clear that Mays and McCovey would get rings during the postseason run. The only people they have to give rings to are coaches and members of the player's association who were on the major league roster during the season. Early this century, the union secured a 1977 Yankees World Series ring for Carlos May, who was sold to the Angels on September 16 and missed the postseason.

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Nice post Fens. Congrats to the Giants and all of their fans. I was very happy to see them win.

Fenway
11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
You're right, of course, and Barry Bonds was obviously trolling for a ring. Management had made it clear that Mays and McCovey would get rings during the postseason run. The only people they have to give rings to are coaches and members of the player's association who were on the major league roster during the season. Early this century, the union secured a 1977 Yankees World Series ring for Carlos May, who was sold to the Angels on September 16 and missed the postseason.

Does Barry Zito get a ring :tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Thing about The City is it is very much like an older Eastern or Midwestern city where at night you can walk down a street and hear Jon Miller on KNBR radio coming through many a window.

And I guarantee, he'll still be saying "OOH-REE-BAY", not "YOU-REE-BAY".:gulp:

ewokpelts
11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Does Barry Zito get a ring :tongue:yes.