PDA

View Full Version : Konerko a Priority for D-Backs

DirtySox
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5745666&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Brian26
10-30-2010, 06:31 PM
He gone.

TheOldRoman
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't know how much I trust the report. We know the Diamondbacks are horribly run. However, they are going to suck for a good amount of time. I can't see them spending top money to sign a decently coveted free agent who is 35, presumably because he would be a draw for locals. Paul Konerko isn't a draw to anybody but White Sox fans. He isn't a huge name. I can't see them tossing this money around just to trade him in a year and a half, and I can't see him going to a sad sack franchise after complaining about the Sox consistently coming in 2nd.

DirtySox
10-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't know how much I trust the report. We know the Diamondbacks are horribly run. However, they are going to suck for a good amount of time. I can't see them spending top money to sign a decently coveted free agent who is 35, presumably because he would be a draw for locals. Paul Konerko isn't a draw to anybody but White Sox fans. He isn't a huge name. I can't see them tossing this money around just to trade him in a year and a half, and I can't see him going to a sad sack franchise after complaining about the Sox consistently coming in 2nd.

Doesn't make much sense to me either unless playing near home is his absolute number one priority.

bestkosher
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
This to me sounds like the typical agent posturing.

dickallen15
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM

I don't have the beat of Phoenix, but I would imagine a local kid gone good may be a draw. Whether Paulie really wants to play there or not is another question as is money, but Paulie has a ring, and probably all the money he will ever need, its not beyond belief he would play there for less and have more time with his family.

Daver
10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't have the beat of Phoenix, but I would imagine a local kid gone good may be a draw. Whether Paulie really wants to play there or not is another question as is money, but Paulie has a ring, and probably all the money he will ever need, its not beyond belief he would play there for less and have more time with his family.

I thought Konerko grew up on the east coast?

Frater Perdurabo
10-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought Konerko grew up on the east coast?

ESPN says he was born in Providence, Rhode Island (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3747) and Baseball-Reference.com says he graduated from Chaparral HS in Scottsdale, Arizona (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=year_round&year_ID=1994&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg). So he moved sometime during his childhood/adolescence.

WhiteSox5187
10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
My brother showed me a link to MLB Trade Rumors that said he's the White Sox to lose. So who knows what is going to happen, if he leaves I have a hard time seeing him going to Arizona. I could see him going to LA though.

Brian26
10-30-2010, 08:42 PM
So who knows what is going to happen, if he leaves I have a hard time seeing him going to Arizona. I could see him going to LA though.

Konerko lives in Scotsdale and has a five year old son. He'd get to work 13 miles from his home and not have to deal with the crappy Chicago weather...all the while probably getting a raise in salary and guaranteed years.

It's a no-brainer for him. Put yourself in his situation.

The Dude
10-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Konerko lives in Scotsdale and has a five year old son. He'd get to work 13 miles from his home and not have to deal with the crappy Chicago weather...all the while probably getting a raise in salary and guaranteed years.

Agreed. I think it makes perfect sense for him. I'll be surprised if we can hold onto him. I just hope we give him his place on our outfield wall when it's all said and done. PK, you deserve it. :gulp:

russ99
10-30-2010, 08:57 PM

Plus it would be a huge draw for a team who had a really bad season.

There were rumors that Paul would only waive his NTC for Arizona, so I think if the Dbacks want him the feeling would be mutual.

He's been quoted as not willing to give a hometown discount. If he changes his mind, would that be for us or Arizona?

DumpJerry
10-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Ok, does he want to play October baseball? Alan Trammell just joined them as the Bench Coach joining Kirk Gibson who is the Manager.

Trammell and Gibson were in the flip roles for the Tiger's teams that lost 119 games. Just sayin'.....

Noneck
10-30-2010, 09:12 PM

If the money and contract years are right, I totally agree.

Arizona is a laid back situation which seems to fit PK's style.

Brian26
10-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok, does he want to play October baseball? Alan Trammell just joined them as the Bench Coach joining Kirk Gibson who is the Manager.

Trammell and Gibson were in the flip roles for the Tiger's teams that lost 119 games. Just sayin'.....

Trammell won 97 games with the Cubs in 2008 as the bench coach, so perhaps he all of a sudden became smart. Or, maybe that Detroit team was a talentless cesspool that was going to lose 100 games with Casey Stengel or John McGraw at the helm.

I hope Paulie stays. He's my favorite Sox player since Ventura. He's already won his World Series, though, and I wouldn't resent him for cashing in his chips to work from home and be able to see his little boy grow up.

ChiSoxGirl
10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
This report makes me want to :whiner:. That is all.

KRS1
10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll miss Paulie in our uniform an absolute ton, but I guess being able to see him down here in AZ would numb the pain a bit. The comp picks would help, too.:tongue:

soltrain21
10-31-2010, 12:40 AM

Maybe he doesn't. He already has one. Maybe he just wants to be with his family.

WhiteSox5187
10-31-2010, 12:44 AM

From everything I have read about Konerko he is a guy who is driven to win. He does not strike me as this laid back guy who will play on a lousy team for the money, I think he is a very driven guy with a strong desire to win, just because he is not the most vocal guy does not mean he isn't driven.

As for his situation, the way I look at it he is nearing the end of the road and has enough money to live comfortably. The Sox won 88 games last year and are a few pieces away from another World Series ring and is in Chicago for probably the nicest parts of the year, I would think (I would hope) that he would take a chance at another ring over the prospect of being on a 97 loss and directionless team. If the Sox make a comparable offer to Arizona's, I think he would take the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
10-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Maybe he doesn't. He already has one. Maybe he just wants to be with his family.

I think that most athletes are driven primarily by the desire to win. Yea money comes into play, but if the Sox make an offer comparable to Arizona's, I think he'd stay here because we have a better chance to win, the same reason he turned down more money from Baltimore in '05 to be with us.

If he really wants to be with his family, he would retire. I am fairly certain his family stays here in Chicago during the season and even then he'd be on the road and at the park just as much in Arizona as he would here. He'd just be closer to his house at there. Now, it's quite possible he likes that house a lot more than the one he has here.

Brian26
10-31-2010, 09:08 AM
The Sox won 88 games last year and are a few pieces away from another World Series ring

Glass half-full. :tongue:

dickallen15
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
One reason the Sox may be leery of signing Konerko and AJP for that matter, is if they are signed, they have automatic no trade clauses. A lof of money for immovable parts really isn't desireable.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2010, 12:46 PM

It's a no-brainer for him. Put yourself in his situation.When he had his press conference to announce he would test free agency, he vented about the Sox coming in second every year and how they can't be the Twins. I don't see him getting fed up with the Sox coming in second and fleeing for a team that will come in 5th every year.
Plus it would be a huge draw for a team who had a really bad season.No way. Paul Konerko is a really good player, but he isn't a great player. Furthermore, only diehard baseball fans outside of Chicago know who Konerko is. He just isn't a draw type player, like Pujols or A-Roid. If Arizona signed him, a fan conversation would go something like:

"Hey, did you hear we signed some Kernerko guy. I think it's Kernerko. He went to high school in Scottsdale. Pretty cool, but I don't know if he is any good."
"Yeah, he is pretty good. I think he won a world series with the Cubs a few years ago."

soltrain21
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
When he had his press conference to announce he would test free agency, he vented about the Sox coming in second every year and how they can't be the Twins. I don't see him getting fed up with the Sox coming in second and fleeing for a team that will come in 5th every year.
No way. Paul Konerko is a really good player, but he isn't a great player. Furthermore, only diehard baseball fans outside of Chicago know who Konerko is. He just isn't a draw type player, like Pujols or A-Roid. If Arizona signed him, a fan conversation would go something like:

"Hey, did you hear we signed some Kernerko guy. I think it's Kernerko. He went to high school in Scottsdale. Pretty cool, but I don't know if he is any good."
"Yeah, he is pretty good. I think he won a world series with the Cubs a few years ago."

No. Not even close.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2010, 12:59 PM
No. Not even close.Do you think Konerko is a name outside of Chicago? Do you honestly think Konerko is the type of player who draws fans to the park? He wouldn't be any more of a draw for Arizona than Rob Mackowiak was for the Sox (and yes, Konerko is a much better player than Rob was). I maintain that only diehard baseball fans outside of Chicago know much about him, and as we know, a small percentage of the people who go to any game are diehards.

soltrain21
10-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Do you think Konerko is a name outside of Chicago? Do you honestly think Konerko is the type of player who draws fans to the park? He wouldn't be any more of a draw for Arizona than Rob Mackowiak was for the Sox (and yes, Konerko is a much better player than Rob was). I maintain that only diehard baseball fans outside of Chicago know much about him, and as we know, a small percentage of the people who go to any game are diehards.

I don't think he "draws fans to the park" (I don't think really any position player does that), but people know Paul Konerko.

Brian26
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Do you think Konerko is a name outside of Chicago?

Do you think someone actually thinks the Cubs won the World Series "a few years ago"? Really?

Daver
10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think he "draws fans to the park" (I don't think really any position player does that), but people know Paul Konerko.

Ken Griffey Jr. didn't bring people to the ballpark?

Frater Perdurabo
10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Do you think someone actually thinks the Cubs won the World Series "a few years ago"? Really?

World Series come and go. Winning the coveted Attendance Trophy every year, now that's big!

soltrain21
10-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. didn't bring people to the ballpark?

There are rare instances. Him, and the home run chase.

Daver
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
There are rare instances. Him, and the home run chase.

I would say Albert Pujols draws fans to the ballpark, as did Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Bo Jackson, etc.

I would question the veracity of a blanket statement about position players not having any draw, people use to pay just to watch Willie Mays play center field in the Polo Grounds.

Tragg
10-31-2010, 08:08 PM
people use to pay just to watch Willie Mays play center field in the Polo Grounds.
What a treat that must have been.

DumpJerry
10-31-2010, 08:11 PM
What a treat that must have been.
Not if you're Vic Wertz.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cQ9Xb3Cxdc0/S-MHGhQQSoI/AAAAAAAAAFA/2cBgcgxQgJQ/s1600/24WillieMays4.jpg

LoveYourSuit
10-31-2010, 11:34 PM

If Paulie wants to put himself in a situation to play October baseball then I can name about 6-8 teams that are in much better shape than we are to accomplish this.

Noneck
10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
If Paulie wants to put himself in a situation to play October baseball then I can name about 6-8 teams that are in much better shape than we are to accomplish this.

Not only that, he also has to get his last big contract offer from one of these teams. I dont see him giving out any discounts.

DumpJerry
11-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Really? Have you forgotten we finished in second place in the division with only on AL team (Boston) ahead of us in the standings who did not make the postseason? Have you noticed we finished two games behind the AL Champs Texas Rangers? Are there that many other teams that are in that much "better shape" than us today, November 1, 2010, to make the playoffs despite the fact that there have been no free agent signings or trades yet?

dickallen15
11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Really? Have you forgotten we finished in second place in the division with only on AL team (Boston) ahead of us in the standings who did not make the postseason? Have you noticed we finished two games behind the AL Champs Texas Rangers? Are there that many other teams that are in that much "better shape" than us today, November 1, 2010, to make the playoffs despite the fact that there have been no free agent signings or trades yet?

8 teams did make the playoffs. You mentioned Boston as well. That's 9 teams, so 6-8 at this moment seems right considering you add Konerko's production to the other team.

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:45 AM

It's a no-brainer for him. Put yourself in his situation.do you honestly think konerko will get $12 million a year from any other team BESIDES the sox?

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Trammell won 97 games with the Cubs in 2008 as the bench coach, so perhaps he all of a sudden became smart. Or, maybe that Detroit team was a talentless cesspool that was going to lose 100 games with Casey Stengel or John McGraw at the helm.

I hope Paulie stays. He's my favorite Sox player since Ventura. He's already won his World Series, though, and I wouldn't resent him for cashing in his chips to work from home and be able to see his little boy grow up.that team sucked no matter who managed them.

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I'll miss Paulie in our uniform an absolute ton, but I guess being able to see him down here in AZ would numb the pain a bit. The comp picks would help, too.:tongue:that's assuming the sox offer arbitration to konerko. AND that he accepts.

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:49 AM
From everything I have read about Konerko he is a guy who is driven to win. He does not strike me as this laid back guy who will play on a lousy team for the money, I think he is a very driven guy with a strong desire to win, just because he is not the most vocal guy does not mean he isn't driven.

As for his situation, the way I look at it he is nearing the end of the road and has enough money to live comfortably. The Sox won 88 games last year and are a few pieces away from another World Series ring and is in Chicago for probably the nicest parts of the year, I would think (I would hope) that he would take a chance at another ring over the prospect of being on a 97 loss and directionless team. If the Sox make a comparable offer to Arizona's, I think he would take the Sox.i totally disagree with that statement. just look at his 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009 stats.

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Do you think Konerko is a name outside of Chicago? Do you honestly think Konerko is the type of player who draws fans to the park? He wouldn't be any more of a draw for Arizona than Rob Mackowiak was for the Sox (and yes, Konerko is a much better player than Rob was). I maintain that only diehard baseball fans outside of Chicago know much about him, and as we know, a small percentage of the people who go to any game are diehards.konerko sell tickets only at 333 w. 35th st.

i doubt he'd be a big draw in arizona. however, arizoina signing him would help with fan confidence out there.

remember, they are having an all star game in 2011. they want to sell as many tickets as possible to ride that wave. AND they get a buttload of cash for hosting the ASG.

ewokpelts
11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Not only that, he also has to get his last big contract offer from one of these teams. I dont see him giving out any discounts.he's smarter signing with a "lower profile" club, and getting traded to a contender for a stretch run if said lower profile club cant become a contender.

russ99
11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
do you honestly think konerko will get $12 million a year from any other team BESIDES the sox?

After the season he put together this year? Absolutely. There no limit to how much baseball GMs will overpay.

IMO, he'll be asking for more than that initially, since he's playing the "I'll retire if I don't get what I want" card.

LoveYourSuit
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Which is the scarry part to me. We finished so close and yet so far when taking into consideration Konerko's MVP type year.

DirtySox
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
that's assuming the sox offer arbitration to konerko. AND that he accepts.

No.

Compensatory picks are gained if the Sox offer him arbitration and he declines then signs elsewhere.

AZChiSoxFan
11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
No. Not even close.

As someone who lives in the Phx area, I actually thought it was spot on.

soltrain21
11-01-2010, 07:59 PM
As someone who lives in the Phx area, I actually thought it was spot on.

That nobody knows who Konerko is and that the Cubs won the World Series a few years ago? What the hell kind of people live in Arizona?

doublem23
11-01-2010, 08:13 PM
That nobody knows who Konerko is and that the Cubs won the World Series a few years ago? What the hell kind of people live in Arizona?

That is a post for the PI Boards.

soltrain21
11-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Well, I wasn't saying it in that way.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
One reason the Sox may be leery of signing Konerko and AJP for that matter, is if they are signed, they have automatic no trade clauses. A lof of money for immovable parts really isn't desireable.

My guess with AJ is that it would be a 1-year deal, max of 2 years. While the money would be "immovable", I doubt he is going to get into "breaking the bank" territory on his deal. I would only be leery of signing someone like him if we had the intention of him being our #1 catcher in 2013 and beyond.

With what is out there, do we think there is someone else we can realistically get for 2011 or 2012? If not, AJ may be our best option unless we can get a ready-now draft selection or trade for someone in the minors who is behind a young superstar (ex. San Fran have anyone?).

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Looks like no D-Backs for PK.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/244670-d-backs-not-willing-to-spend-for-konerko?xid=si_mlb

Moses_Scurry
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
My guess with AJ is that it would be a 1-year deal, max of 2 years. While the money would be "immovable", I doubt he is going to get into "breaking the bank" territory on his deal. I would only be leery of signing someone like him if we had the intention of him being our #1 catcher in 2013 and beyond.

With what is out there, do we think there is someone else we can realistically get for 2011 or 2012? If not, AJ may be our best option unless we can get a ready-now draft selection or trade for someone in the minors who is behind a young superstar (ex. San Fran have anyone?).

I think if you sign AJ, you almost have to sign him to a 2+ year contract. We all saw what his "lame duck" status did to his performance this year.

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2010, 07:14 PM

I was agreeing with "The Old Roman" who stated that Konerko would not be a big fan draw here in the desert. Attendance is horrible here and while PK is a very solid player, he's not A-rod or Pujols and the average fan just doesn't know much about him. I can't imagine that anyone here like PK more than I do but the fact is that there are only a handful of MLB players who single-handedly affect attendance (on a single game basis) and PK isn't one of them.

As far as the specific conversation that "The Old Roman" imagined happening, all I can say is that apparantly you have never been to a D-backs game. Their "fans" aren't so knowledgable about the game.

Sadly, the average, casual, run of the mill baseball fan associates Chicago baseball only with the cubs. Thus, it's not difficult to fathom someone thinking he had won a WS with those guys.

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Seriously? Thanks for the slam.