PDA

View Full Version : The Nick Punto Era Is Over (One of the Original Pirahnas)

Brian26
10-30-2010, 12:10 AM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101029&content_id=15897846&vkey=news_min&c_id=min

JermaineDye05
10-30-2010, 12:15 AM
It'll never be over until he retires.

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Somebody will pick him up as a utility infielder cheap, and he'll continue to haunt the Sox while hitting about .190 against everybody else.

thomas35forever
10-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Too bad (not really).

TDog
10-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Somebody will pick him up as a utility infielder cheap, and he'll continue to haunt the Sox while hitting about .190 against everybody else.

It seems that way, but this year he his just .238 against the White Sox, .300 against the Indians, .313 against the Red Sox, .500 against the Rangers (he only came up to bat five times, but one of his two hits drove in a run because the runner didn't shake hands with the third base coach while rounding third, which apparently is the Rangers custom.). For his career, Punto hit better against the Indians than he did against the White Sox, and hit over .300 against the Rangers and the Orioles. He has more hits, RBIs and stolen bases against the White Sox than he does anyone else, he played more against the White Sox than just about anyone else.

StillMissOzzie
10-30-2010, 02:02 AM
First off, the thread title is not necessarily accurate. The Twinks are just declining his $5M option, not kicking him to the curb. The fact that they paid the guy $4M for playing just over half the season may have made them reconsider giving him a 25% raise. They could still come to terms with Punto as a FA.

And like Nellie and tdog said, he'll end up somewhere in the AL, with the Twinks or elsewhere, hit a buck and a quarter against the rest of the league and like an MVP against the Sox. At least that's how it feels.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2010, 02:03 AM
It seems that way, but this year he his just .238 against the White Sox, .300 against the Indians, .313 against the Red Sox, .500 against the Rangers (he only came up to bat five times, but one of his two hits drove in a run because the runner didn't shake hands with the third base coach while rounding third, which apparently is the Rangers custom.). For his career, Punto hit better against the Indians than he did against the White Sox, and hit over .300 against the Rangers and the Orioles. He has more hits, RBIs and stolen bases against the White Sox than he does anyone else, he played more against the White Sox than just about anyone else.I should know better than to post based on the "everybody on WSI knows..." factoids without checking them out.

TDog
10-30-2010, 02:29 AM
I should know better than to post based on the "everybody on WSI knows..." factoids without checking them out.

I was calling out perception rather than calling out you. If you look at this career splits, you see some NL teams, including the Cubs, that he has hit extremely well against. I think Punto's big hits against the White Sox stand out in our minds, even though the Sox usually get him out with runners on base. White Sox fans probably think of Nick Punto as more of a White Sox killer than Twins fans do (although that's just a guess, as I don't currently hang with any Twins fans).

Zisk77
10-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Kenny will sign him. Its the left handed bat we need. He'll hit .ooo against the twinkies and about .070 for us. We'll release him and the tinks will pick him again and you know the rest. :cool:

getonbckthr
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Nautiously I feel like Kenny is gonna sign him.

DumpJerry
10-30-2010, 10:47 AM
The bad news is, the Twinks are keeping Kubel. I hate that guy. He plays like a cross between Ted Williams and Babe Ruth against us.:angry:
He always seems to get a key hit against us.

MarySwiss
10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I know Punto didn't do much against us this past season, but I still can't stand him. Seems like in the past, he always would get those cruddy little hits that either dropped in the right place just past the infielder or skittered through the infield inches from someone's glove.

Foulke You
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
The bad news is, the Twinks are keeping Kubel. I hate that guy. He plays like a cross between Ted Williams and Babe Ruth against us.:angry:
He always seems to get a key hit against us.
I hate him too. Against the Yanks in the ALDS this year, it looked like he had never seen MLB pitching in his life. Against us, he is the Bambino. The guy has 18HRs and 66RBIs against us. When you look at his career splits, no other opponent comes even close to the production he puts out against us. Also, take a look at the smug smirk on the profile photo of him. How can you not hate that guy? :mad:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7425/splits;_ylt=AkA_GwButH93TLce63FqnBmFCLcF?year=care er&type=Batting

soltrain21
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I hate him too. Against the Yanks in the ALDS this year, it looked like he had never seen MLB pitching in his life. Against us, he is the Bambino. The guy has 18HRs and 66RBIs against us. When you look at his career splits, no other opponent comes even close to the production he puts out against us. Also, take a look at the smug smirk on the profile photo of him. How can you not hate that guy? :mad:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7425/splits;_ylt=AkA_GwButH93TLce63FqnBmFCLcF?year=care er&type=Batting

Maybe we should just learn how to pitch him.

GoGoCrede
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Good bye, don't bother keeping in touch.

palehozenychicty
11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I hate him too. Against the Yanks in the ALDS this year, The Twins looked like they had never played MLB baseball in their life. Against us, they are the Yankees. The guy has 18HRs and 66RBIs against us. When you look at his career splits, no other opponent comes even close to the production he puts out against us. Also, take a look at the smug smirk on the profile photo of him. How can you not hate that guy? :mad:

I had to fix it.

Nellie_Fox
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I had to fix it.Don't do it again. "Fixing" posts is prohibited. You have no right to change another person's words.