PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Might Have Been Traded to the Marlins

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Supposedly there were talks of trading Ozzie to Florida before the issues were "resolved." The piece noted Mike Stanton, which would have been a ridiculously amazing return.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/2845568,CST-SPT-deluca29.article

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 12:40 AM
If this is supposed to be in "What's the Score," I apologize. Move at your leisure.

Madvora
10-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I had no idea you could trade a manager.

DumpJerry
10-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Ozzie was the Marlin's Third Base Coach, not Bench Coach. Makes me wonder what other facts De Luca got wrong.

Chez
10-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I had no idea you could trade a manager.

I believe Chuck Tanner was traded from Oakland to Pittsburgh for Manny Sanguillen.

CPditka
10-29-2010, 08:33 AM
So was Lou Pinella for Randy Winn (D-Rays)

NLaloosh
10-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Can we still do this deal?

russ99
10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
LOL! You go Kenny...

"While you guys were writing we couldn't work together, we were doing the salsa at his benefit."

:roflmao:

Welcome back from your time off, back into the hornets nest. Controversy sells newspapers.

TheOldRoman
10-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I just can't believe the Marlins would give up Stanton for Ozzie. That has to be false.

Rocky Soprano
10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
No way the Sox would pass on landing Stanton for Ozzie.

pmck003
10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I just can't believe the Marlins would give up Stanton for Ozzie. That has to be false.

Baseball wise, yeah. A visible, outspoken media figure at manager could be a good fit for the Marlins attendance problems though.

CPditka
10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I like Ozzie.

But if this is offered to you, you HAVE to do the deal.

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Yea. There has to be more to it obviously. It's hard to speculate since trading managers isn't all that common. Acquiring Stanton in any way would have been fantastic though.

guillen4life13
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Baseball wise, yeah. A visible, outspoken media figure at manager could be a good fit for the Marlins attendance problems though.

What's going to solve their attendance problems is that new park they're building a half-mile away that I can see clearly from my apartment window (btw, it looks like it's gonna be really nice).

cws05champ
10-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I like Ozzie.

But if this is offered to you, you HAVE to do the deal.

No doubt....I would have traded Ozzie and Quentin for Stanton!!!

doublem23
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Welcome back from your time off, back into the hornets nest. Controversy sells newspapers.

Controversy is the only thing the Sox offer, no one wants to read about their play on the field.

palehozenychicty
10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
What's going to solve their attendance problems is that new park they're building a half-mile away that I can see clearly from my apartment window (btw, it looks like it's gonna be really nice).

Indeed. They'll be a lot better on the revenue scale once it opens.

hawkjt
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I heard Cowley on the Score today, still hating on kenny, still throwing out insane comments like '' Kenny was the one that caused all the problems, while Ozzie was the calm one in this drama''

''Ozzie never made inflammatory comments in the press like Kenny did''

Cowley has such a hard-on for Kenny that he is actually saying that Ozzie is the calm ,rational member of the Sox hierarchy....wow.

He accused Kenny of lying again,also...said that kenny was not friendly to Ozzie at his Salsa event....but conceded he was not there,and was going off of what ''people told me''..

What a jag.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I had no clue you could trade your manager. Weird. I wonder if thats ever been done before?

Jpgr91
10-29-2010, 01:38 PM
That would have been a great deal for the Sox. Oh well.

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 01:48 PM
I heard Cowley on the Score today, still hating on kenny, still throwing out insane comments like '' Kenny was the one that caused all the problems, while Ozzie was the calm one in this drama''

Cowley has such a hard-on for Kenny that he is actually saying that Ozzie is the calm ,rational member of the Sox hierarchy....wow.

He accused Kenny of lying again,also...said that kenny was not friendly to Ozzie at his Salsa event....but conceded he was not there,and was going off of what ''people told me''..

What a jag.

Supposedly he is told to spin his stories in such a direction.

Anyhow, I fear we are in for another year of KW/Ozzie drama. Especially if the team's performance doesn't live up to expectations.

BadBobbyJenks
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Would anyone not have traded Ozzie for Mike Stanton?

I would have traded any manager in the history of baseball for a great young talent.

doublem23
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I had no clue you could trade your manager. Weird. I wonder if thats ever been done before?

Might want to take a sec and scroll up to posts 5 and 6 in this thread.

Chez
10-29-2010, 03:51 PM
How about Jeff Cox for Hanley Ramirez?

TheOldRoman
10-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Supposedly he is told to spin his stories in such a direction.

Anyhow, I fear we are in for another year of KW/Ozzie drama. Especially if the team's performance doesn't live up to expectations.Yep. Cowley is Oney's lap dog. When Oney isn't posting a hissy fit in tweets, he is telling Cowley to write his hissy fit for him.

And yes, I fear we are going to have another year worth of Oney tracking KW's love life and accusing him kicking old ladies. I actually think 2011 will be worse in that regard if the year shakes out the same way. Ozzie has been told (through not getting an extension) that he isn't coming back in 2012 unless they win the division, and KW should also be held accountable for another failure. If this team is bad to mediocre next year, a whole bunch of **** is going to be thrown at the wall from both sides to cover themselves. Ozzie would likely still end up with the Marlins in 2012 or 13, but Kenny would have more to lose as I don't think he would get another GM job. If the Sox don't come out of the gates on fire, it is going to be a VERY long year.

russ99
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Yep. Cowley is Oney's lap dog. When Oney isn't posting a hissy fit in tweets, he is telling Cowley to write his hissy fit for him.

And yes, I fear we are going to have another year worth of Oney tracking KW's love life and accusing him kicking old ladies. I actually think 2011 will be worse in that regard if the year shakes out the same way. Ozzie has been told (through not getting an extension) that he isn't coming back in 2012 unless they win the division, and KW should also be held accountable for another failure. If this team is bad to mediocre next year, a whole bunch of **** is going to be thrown at the wall from both sides to cover themselves. Ozzie would likely still end up with the Marlins in 2012 or 13, but Kenny would have more to lose as I don't think he would get another GM job. If the Sox don't come out of the gates on fire, it is going to be a VERY long year.

Oney needs to shut the heck up. It's not enough that he lost his own job, he's looking to have his dad lose his job too...

Neither party has been innocent here, but they both need to forget this garbage and focus on the team next year.

IMO, if this team takes a step back next season, both of them should be shown the door, and a fast or slow start would have little to do with that, other than what the press can stir up. Certainly a 2-month slow start like this season would be a different story.

I'm hopeful for Cora's chances in the Milwaukee job both for his own career path but also to bring in a new voice in the dugout, which can only help things.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/guillen-florida-talks-never-crystallized.html

Disputes the Sun-Times report. Claims both sources with the Sox and Marlins say it never got close to being completed and the Marlins would not trade that outfielder.

Lip

TDog
10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/guillen-florida-talks-never-crystallized.html

Disputs the Sun-Times report. Claims both sources with the Sox and Marlins say it never got close to being completed and the Marlins would not trade that outfielder.

Lip

It's more fun not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

soltrain21
10-29-2010, 04:57 PM
It's more fun not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The fact it was even talked about is a pretty big story.

TDog
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM
The fact it was even talked about is a pretty big story.

If it was accurately reported in the first place, it wouldn't have nearly the weight being placed on it. The exaggeration of the story's importance is the story's importance.

JermaineDye05
10-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Stanton is an intriguing thought. I'd like to see Kenny continue talks with the Marlins to see what it would take to get him.

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Stanton is an intriguing thought. I'd like to see Kenny continue talks with the Marlins to see what it would take to get him.

The Marlins prize their cheap cost controlled prospects. Especially ones with superstar potential. They generally trade the ones they can't afford anymore, which is why this DeLuca article is ridiculous.

JermaineDye05
10-29-2010, 08:00 PM
The Marlins prize their cheap cost controlled prospects. Especially ones with superstar potential. They generally trade the ones they can't afford anymore, which is why this DeLuca article is ridiculous.

Hanley and Josh Johnson please.

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Hanley and Josh Johnson please.

:thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Kenny to acquire a young, cheap, high ceiling prospect to add to the core but it's usually the opposite. Someone like Uggla is a good example of Kenny's M.O. (Even though the Fish are supposedly trying to extend him.)

I love Stanton though. Same with Logan Morrison.

Soxfest
10-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I guess that deal would of been real interesting, I would of liked it from a Sox standpoint!

FireMariotti
10-29-2010, 10:22 PM

What a jag.

What a jag indeed. Cowley does anything he can to stir up controversy. It's little wonder why he latches onto the Guillen family as a source of all of this crap.

I don't want to lose Williams or Ozzie because I think that both men are the right men for their respective positions. I just wish these bull**** histrionics would disappear. You wouldn't hear this much silly juvenile drama in high school cafeteria.

WhiteSoxFTW
10-30-2010, 08:57 AM
How the hell did this story get so much air time? I guess only in a Bears off-week.

Florida: "Can we speak with Ozzie? We are interested in him as our manager."
KW: "Sure, if you give us Stanton."
Florida: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....."

:rolling: