PDA

View Full Version : Oh Joy - MLB looking at 2 more teams for 2012

Fenway
10-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe was on WBZ-FM talking about the proposed playoff changes and he mentioned in the paper expansion is being looked at.

Additional teams seen as possibility (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/10/27/playoff_changes_on_deck/)

On air he said Selig wants 16 teams in the AL as early as 2012

The Brewers or Diamondbacks will move to the AL and then each league will get one expansion franchise.

Cities being looked at - Portland, Charlotte, Meadowlands, Northern Virginia and Montreal

Possible relocation - Oakland, Tampa Bay and CLEVELAND

Oy!!!!!

MisterB
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
The article doesn't state that MLB is actually discussing expansion, it seems to be solely speculation on the author's part to address the "issue" of the leagues not having the same number of teams.

MarkZ35
10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
There's no way that the Brewers return to the AL with the cubbies selling out 9 games a year up there.

Fenway
10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
The article doesn't state that MLB is actually discussing expansion, it seems to be solely speculation on the author's part to address the "issue" of the leagues not having the same number of teams.

He addressed that on the radio.....they are offering the union 50 more jobs in return for complete cooperation on testing

g0g0
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Please don't expand, please don't expand. It's hard looking at Florida struggling and other established franchises being run into the ground. Fix what's broken first then look at expansion. Do we really need a team in Charlotte or N. VA when we have the Nats and Orioles so close?

TheOldRoman
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
First off, it would be impossible to have a new team ready to play in 2012 even if it was founded today. Years of work goes into putting an expansion team on the field.

I don't think Selig is that dumb. First off, Montreal is the only location without baseball that could support it. Northern Virginia is out with the Nats being right there. The most important point is, these cities are only being used as leverage to get new parks built for the remaining teams in need. If MLB fills all these markets and Selig threatens to move the Rays to Schreveport if they can't get a new park built, St. Petersburg would tell them to piss up a rope.

Madvora
10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
They probably just came up with this concept because it would have gotten the Red Sox in it this year. I'm surprised they didn't stop the playoffs and let them in anyway.

guillensdisciple
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
They probably just came up with this concept because it would have gotten the Red Sox in it this year. I'm surprised they didn't stop the playoffs and let them in anyway.

Did I ever tell you how much I hate the Red Sox...

well, I hate the Red Sox.

Hitmen77
10-27-2010, 02:08 PM
At some point, I wouldn't be opposed to adding 2 more teams so that the two leagues have the same amount of teams. I don't like the idea of the two leagues having an unequal amount of teams (just as was the case between '77 and '92)

Before that happens, though, MLB needs to resolve the stadium/attendance problems they have with Oakland and Tampa Bay. I can't imagine MLB will even think about expanding before they do something about the A's and Rays since relocation is on the table for these two franchises.

I can't imagine there are many NL teams that would want to move to the AL where their path to a pennant will be perpetually up against the megabucks of the Yankees and Red Sox. The wildcard is usually wide open in the NL, but is usually locked up by NY or Bos in the AL and not in play for the other teams.

Arizona has a pretty good setup in the NL West with rivals in San Diego, LA, Denver, and SF. I doubt they'd rather give those rivals up for Oakland (can't draw fans), Seattle (far away) and Texas (two time zones over).

Like MarkZ said, no way in hell would the Brewers want to give up the 9 sellouts vs. the Cubs every year (no matter how much they complain about Cubs fans taking over their ballpark). IMO, I would have liked it if KC actually accepted a move to the NL in '98 and we'd have a AL Central of Min, Mil, Det, Chi, and Cle to closely mirror the NFC North that the Bears play in. But that ship has sailed. I would also prefer that MLB give up the "unbalanced schedule" (which for the Brewers would mean no more 9 Cubs games/year in Milwaukee), but I'm not holding my breath on that to happen.

ewokpelts
10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
There's no way that the Brewers return to the AL with the cubbies selling out 9 games a year up there.6 games against the yankees/red sox, plus 9 games against the sox and twins EACH. that might make up for the lost cub sales

Fenway
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM
6 games against the yankees/red sox, plus 9 games against the sox and twins EACH. that might make up for the lost cub sales

I have heard that the Brewers new owners are fed up with the Cubbie fans

ewokpelts
10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I have heard that the Brewers new owners are fed up with the Cubbie fansmost owners are. i imagine the red sox owners will join that list after 2011

Hitmen77
10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
The Brewers or Diamondbacks will move to the AL and then each league will get one expansion franchise.

Cities being looked at - Portland, Charlotte, Meadowlands, Northern Virginia and Montreal

Oy!!!!!

I know that Cleveland has had attendance problems. They're only 3 seasons removed from a deep playoff run and they were 300,000 below Pittsburgh's and KC's attendance this year. But, I would be shocked if any of the teams with a high-priced retro stadium moves in the near future. I could only imagine that MLB would be facing lawsuits from the cities that paid big bucks for these facilities.

I don't know how N. Virginia got on that list with the Nationals playing in Washington. Montreal can't even attract a minor league team (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/sports/baseball/20montreal.html) these days. Is the Quebec government really going to agree to finance a $500 million+ new ballpark for an expansion team? If not, then forget about Montreal.

I think Northern NJ is the best new market for a team, but how is MLB going to squeeze the territorial rights from the Yankees and Mets?

6 games against the yankees/red sox, plus 9 games against the sox and twins EACH. that might make up for the lost cub sales

Good point. In fact, if I got my wish and they just went to a balanced schedule, the games vs. the Cubs would be even less of a factor....but still I think the Brewers are happy in the NL. They were previously an NL city (with the Braves) and their pathway to a possible playoff berth is easier there for this small market team.

Fenway
10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
most owners are. i imagine the red sox owners will join that list after 2011

Ticket prices haven't spiked yet for the Flubs visit

http://www.aceticket.com/boston_red_sox_vs_chicago_cubs_5-20/event/1021819/

Lip Man 1
10-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Perhaps instead of expansion talk they should consider complete and total realignment instead.

Lip

illinibk
10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Expansion at this point is ridiculous. First, there's major attendance issues across the league, particularly in Tampa and Oakland, as mentioned above. But, the bigger question, is there enough talent to fill 32 MLB teams? Are there really 800 MLB level players? Hell, I don't even think there are enough MLB level players to fill 30 rosters, let alone 32. Look at the crap that KC, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore trot out each year. If a majority of the existing 30 teams are overflowing with talent, AND the demand is there for the product, then yes, expansion might make sense. But given the current landscape, it certainly doesn't.

ewokpelts
10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
"purists" hate radical realignment talk.

if it's good for the game, then do it.

i support MORE interleague and realignment, as long as they can preserve the AL/NL split. I would hate it if baseball went the nba/nhl model of east vs west.

AnkleSox
10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
The only move I support is the movement of the Twins to Yakutsk, Russia.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-27-2010, 11:06 PM

MtGrnwdSoxFan likes this.

gobears1987
10-27-2010, 11:47 PM
MLB should be contracting two teams, not expanding by two teams.

SephClone89
10-28-2010, 03:45 AM

That would suck. It's a great rivalry.

russ99
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Any expansion, realignment or playoff changes need to be made with the intent of the improvement of the overall league and all member teams.

Currently this seems to be yet another ploy to ensure the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every year, which is despicable moneygrubbing by Bud and his cabal.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-28-2010, 10:00 AM
That would suck. It's a great rivalry.

True rivalries don't have one team pissing their pants at the mere mention of the other.

asindc
10-28-2010, 10:19 AM
As mentioned earlier, MLB should be considering contracting two franchises rather than adding two. The last time expansion worked in any major sport was during the '70s. Since then, it's just been a constant dilution of the products.

SI1020
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
As mentioned earlier, MLB should be considering contracting two franchises rather than adding two. The last time expansion worked in any major sport was during the '70s. Since then, it's just been a constant dilution of the products. Very true.

Moses_Scurry
10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
I know there are a thousand supposed reasons why it wouldn't work, but I would love a team in Indy. I would love it even more if it were an American league team. I would love it even more than that if it were an American league central team.

chisox59
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
As mentioned earlier, MLB should be considering contracting two franchises rather than adding two. The last time expansion worked in any major sport was during the '70s. Since then, it's just been a constant dilution of the products.
Not only that the powers that be don't seem to understand that this isn't the NFL where you only need to sell tickets for 10 home games (2 preseason, 8 regular), you need major population markets to handle 81 home games and there just aren't any left for MLB to expand to. The NHL and NBA have both suffered with overexpansion as well and they're only looking at half the number of games + 16,000 seats as opposed to 40,000. This is a bad idea.

ComiskeyBrewer
11-02-2010, 02:54 PM
There's no way that the Brewers return to the AL with the cubbies selling out 9 games a year up there.

They better not, the Brewers are finally developing some real rivalries with the Cubs and Cardinals, i would hate to see potential rivalries ruined(again) by moving back to the AL. It seems every time the brewers start to develop rivalries(the AL East, Central, and then the move to the NL), we get moved. :whiner:

I have heard that the Brewers new owners are fed up with the Cubbie fansIf you saw the junk that goes on during Cubs games up here(compared to other series), you would be sick of them too. I used to work for the club, and HATED working Cubs/Brewers games.

Mendoza Line
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
The AL Needs a Miami team with an alligator logo before 2015, according to Back to the Future Part II. Though I hate to think what team will beat them in the World Series in a 5 game sweep!

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe was on WBZ-FM talking about the proposed playoff changes and he mentioned in the paper expansion is being looked at.

Additional teams seen as possibility (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/10/27/playoff_changes_on_deck/)

Oy!!!!!

I would love to see the D-backs in the AL as that would mean I'd get to see the Sox here every year!

Brian26
11-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Seriously, they offer Montreal as a possibility? MLB did everything it could for ten years to kill baseball up there, and now they offer it as an expansion possibility. It's one of my greatest pet peeves about sports. Makes about as much sense as having an NBA team playing in Charlotte right now while the Hornets play in New Orleans.

tstrike2000
11-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Would make sense in that there's 6 teams in the NL Central and only 4 in the AL West. So possibly moving Milwaukee back to the AL and shifting a team to the West would maybe work, but that prospect also isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Red Barchetta
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Perhaps instead of expansion talk they should consider complete and total realignment instead.

Lip

I agree. Each division should have 5 teams. Yes, I know that means interleague play would need to continue throughout the season, however so what? If the games count, they count.

Expansion should not be an option with teams like the A's and Rays struggling to sell out even when they win. Relocation would be a better option for these two franchises. Especially considering they are both playing in arguably the two worst ballparks in the league.

JohnTucker0814
11-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I agree. Each division should have 5 teams. Yes, I know that means interleague play would need to continue throughout the season, however so what? If the games count, they count.

Expansion should not be an option with teams like the A's and Rays struggling to sell out even when they win. Relocation would be a better option for these two franchises. Especially considering they are both playing in arguably the two worst ballparks in the league.

This is what I'd propose, moving a team from the NL to the AL and make divisions 5 teams each. Interleague play all year, and I don't think that's a bad thing. What's the difference if they are all played over 2 weeks or throughout the entire year, they are still played.

Here would be my divisions:
AL East - Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Rays, Blue Jays
AL Central - White Sox, Twins, Royals, Indians, Tigers
AL West - Athletics, Angels, Mariners, Rangers, Diamondbacks

NL East - Mets, Braves, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals
NL Central - Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Pirates
NL West - Giants, Dodgers, Rockies, Astros, Padres

Move Arizona to the AL to fill in the Western Division and move the Astros to the NL West so both Texas teams are in the West.

Natural Rivalry is in line with the divisions above (i.e. AL East 1,2,3,4,5 matches with NL East 1,2,3,4,5---(Yankees,Mets - Red Sox,Braves --- etc)

Here are my schedule options:

I say you do interleague play similar to what the NFL does. You play every team of a division in the opposite league (3 games x 4 teams - 12 games). You play the team in the other two divisions in the opposite league that finished in the same place as you (3 games x 2 teams - 6 games). You then play your Rivaly team a 3 game series (with the possibility of you playing 2 series if they match up based on the previous notes (3 games x 1 team - 3 games) Total of 21 games interleague.

Within' your league:
You play everyone in your division a total of 15 games each. (15 games x 3 teams - 45 games)

You play everyone in the other 2 divisions a total of 12 games each. (12 games x 8 teams - 96 games)

I believe this is a pretty balanced schedule.

SI1020
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
This is what I'd propose, moving a team from the NL to the AL and make divisions 5 teams each. Interleague play all year, and I don't think that's a bad thing. What's the difference if they are all played over 2 weeks or throughout the entire year, they are still played.

Move Arizona to the AL to fill in the Western Division and move the Astros to the NL West so both Texas teams are in the West.

Natural Rivalry is in line with the divisions above (i.e. AL East 1,2,3,4,5 matches with NL East 1,2,3,4,5---(Yankees,Mets - Red Sox,Braves --- etc)

I say you do interleague play similar to what the NFL does. You play every team of a division in the opposite league (3 games x 4 teams - 12 games). You play the team in the other two divisions in the opposite league that finished in the same place as you (3 games x 2 teams - 6 games). You then play your Rivaly team a 3 game series (with the possibility of you playing 2 series if they match up based on the previous notes (3 games x 1 team - 3 games) Total of 21 games interleague.

Within' your league:
You play everyone in your division a total of 15 games each. (15 games x 3 teams - 45 games)

You play everyone in the other 2 divisions a total of 12 games each. (12 games x 8 teams - 96 games)

I believe this is a pretty balanced schedule. OK maybe I'm losing my math skills but this doesn't seem to add up to me. Wouldn't everyone in your division be 4 teams x 15 games = 60? Wouldn't everyone in the other 2 divisions be 10 teams x 12 games = 120 games? The way I see it under your set up the White Sox would play the Twins, Royals, Indians, and Tigers 15 times each which would equal 60 games. Then the Sox would have 12 games each against the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Rays and Blue Jays in the AL east, and 12 games each against the Athletics, Angels, Mariners, Rangers and Diamondbacks in the AL West. That is 10 teams x 12 games each = 120 games. Did I miss something?

JohnTucker0814
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
OK maybe I'm losing my math skills but this doesn't seem to add up to me. Wouldn't everyone in your division be 4 teams x 15 games = 60? Wouldn't everyone in the other 2 divisions be 10 teams x 12 games = 120 games? The way I see it under your set up the White Sox would play the Twins, Royals, Indians, and Tigers 15 times each which would equal 60 games. Then the Sox would have 12 games each against the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Rays and Blue Jays in the AL east, and 12 games each against the Athletics, Angels, Mariners, Rangers and Diamondbacks in the AL West. That is 10 teams x 12 games each = 120 games. Did I miss something?

OH crap... I was thinking NFL with 4 team divisions... my bad. The math doesn't add up, but the concept is still what I was going for. A few more games against your division and everyone plays a similar interleague schedule.

SI1020
11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
OH crap... I was thinking NFL with 4 team divisions... my bad. The math doesn't add up, but the concept is still what I was going for. A few more games against your division and everyone plays a similar interleague schedule. You could possibly adjust the numbers a bit and make it work.

Red Barchetta
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Within' your league:

I believe this is a pretty balanced schedule.

I like it. However I would still like to see the Royals move to the NL Central and have the Brewers back in the AL Central. I think that would also bring more rivalries out within each region.

russ99
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM

The Astros will never go to the NL West. Airfare/travel alone makes this a non-starter, not to mention losing all their rivalries with the Reds, Cardinals and Cubs. Being put in the same division as the Rangers doesn't come close to making that move worthwhile.

There's a better chance of the Brewers to the AL Central. Then the west is easy - move the Rockies and Royals into the AL West and the Mariners into the NL West.

That way the Rangers, Rockies and Royals are in the same division which reduces travel and road teams can play them as a block.