PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Baseball Museum

Rockabilly
10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know when the Museum is going to open up?

I can't wait to see it

Lip Man 1
10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Let's just say (as someone who works with individuals involved in the project) that it's going to be awhile, probably a long while before a building is purchased, renovated, a museum set up and then opened to the public.

And I mean a LONG time.

For now the material that they have (for example Jerome Holtzman turned over all his papers to them when he passed away) is being held in a secure, climate controlled warehouse.

This project has been on the boards for the past five years (at least) and frankly there hasn't been much headway.

I think the folks involved with it have good intentions but there are things taking place that are out of their control. I was also told by one former White Sox player who has had dealings with the group that "they talk a good game and promise a lot but I'd be careful working with them..."

Lip

Fenway
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I think we will see Baseball Museum before this

BUT they say construction has resumed

http://www.museum.tv/museumsection.php?page=582

ChicagoBMuseum
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
We are glad to see people are inquiring about the Chicago Baseball Museum and eager to see it open.

We hope that it will not take a long time to realize our dream of a home for Chicago’s history of baseball, but we are realistic talking with fellow members of the museum community that it often takes years to complete the funding needed. In fact, we learned that it took the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield 13 years to open its doors.

Because we feel an immediate need to share Chicago’s baseball history and the impact it has made on the game and our nation, we have embarked on several projects while in our fundraising stage.

In fact, last month the Chicago Baseball Museum’s “Buck O’Neil and Black Baseball in Chicago” film documentary was selected for participation at the Baseball Film Festival at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. This movie was also shown at the White Sox’s Double Duty Classic this year.

Earlier this year, the 501(c)3 non-profit organization Chicago Baseball Museum marked the 70th anniversary of the historic Opening Day No-hitter by honoring Hall of Famer Bob Feller with a special tribute luncheon. The sell-out crowd applauded the CBM bringing Feller to Chicago for the historic occasion and several members stood to wish the CBM well on its future endeavors.

Each month, we send out an enewsletter detailing upcoming events like these mentioned, we help promote other baseball industry events, and share any upcoming fundraising events. We encourage you to join our mailing list at www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org (http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org/) to learn more.

The previous comment stated the Holtzman collection is in storage. Yes, it is in protective storage awaiting its future home. And, we have come close to identifying a location a few times, but decided they were not the right locations or the right time. We have a Location Committee that is aggressively reviewing opportunities as they are presented. The Holtzman Collection is also available to the public by appointment and has been used by media sources several times.

For now, the museum can be accessed online. We have created a website that archives many of projects and even hosts weekly columnists discussing historical moments in baseball. We invite you to visit it and learn more about what the Chicago Baseball Museum is doing right now. And, if you feel like helping us fundraise so we can get to our goal even faster … we are always looking for volunteers! www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org (http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org/).

Dr. David Fletcher, Chicago Baseball Museum, president and founder