PDA

View Full Version : Would you mind Ryne Sandberg in the Sox organization?

Rikirk
10-27-2010, 02:02 AM
It is within the realm of possibility.
That and ive been hearing them talk about it on the score off and on all night.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Why?

slavko
10-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Why?

To peeve off the Cubs, of course. Can't believe you asked.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 02:21 AM

Like when we got Santo back in '74????? :rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
10-27-2010, 03:23 AM
I will welcome anyone who can help contribute to a World Series title for the Sox in 2011.

Rikirk
10-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Im sure Ryno is quite peeved at his former organization, and Im almost sure he wants a position in the major league, So wouldnt it be nice if Ryno came to the Sox and we went to the WS with him

I dunno...just thinkin.
I like the idea of Ryno with the Sox if Cora goes north.

MARTINMVP
10-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Im sure Ryno is quite peeved at his former organization, and Im almost sure he wants a position in the major league, So wouldnt it be nice if Ryno came to the Sox and we went to the WS with him

I dunno...just thinkin.
I like the idea of Ryno with the Sox if Cora goes north.

The idea sounds interesting, but I'm a bit iffy...

As soon as the Ozzie and Kennie drama gets going in the 2011 season, all the speculation will turn to whether or not Ozzie will come back in 2012, with people asking if Ozzie does indeed leave, does the job then go to Sandburg.

I'm sure the Kennie and Ozzie drama will happen at some point - an added Sandberg element just may add more fire to people's speculation.

Moses_Scurry
10-27-2010, 07:46 AM
I don't know enough about Sandberg to form an opinion one way or the other. If it helped get a Championship, I would hire Sammy Sosa as the manager with Mark Grace as the GM!

Doing it just to piss off the cubs and cub fans would be really stupid.

DumpJerry
10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Can't believe someone gives a rat's ass about how the Cubs feel.

Want to "peeve off" the Cubs? Call talk radio every day and proclaim the Cubs are a lousy organization. Stand outside Wrigley with a sign that says the Cubs suck.

Want to be a White Sox fan? Talk about what will get the team to another World Series championship. "Peeving off" the Cubs does not win games, does not get you a World Series trophy.

This is not high school.

MARTINMVP
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Want to "peeve off" the Cubs? Call talk radio every day and proclaim the Cubs are a lousy organization. Stand outside Wrigley with a sign that says the Cubs suck.

Want to be a White Sox fan? Talk about what will get the team to another World Series championship. "Peeving off" the Cubs does not win games, does not get you a World Series trophy.

This is not high school.

Where's the "Like" button for this post?

Well said.

g0g0
10-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't like this for obvious reasons, but I don't see this working any more than Ryno becoming bench coach for Quade. Same scenario and I'm sure he'd rather work on the North Side if all things are equal.

Hitmen77
10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't know enough about Sandberg to form an opinion one way or the other. If it helped get a Championship, I would hire Sammy Sosa as the manager with Mark Grace as the GM!

Bingo.

DrCrawdad
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM

This is not high school.

This whole "controversy" began when in a Score interview the Score hosts asked Guillen if he'd hire Sandberg as bench coach. Guillen's response seemed, to me, to be respectful towards Sandberg but most of his response to that question had more to do with Cora.

Of course many Cubbie fans are sure that Guillen is only tweaking the Cubbies, typical reaction.

And as I said, this whole controversy is manufactured by The Score and there is virtually nothing to it in Guillen's response.

Me? I have ZERO interest in hiring Sandberg simply to tweak the Cubs. IF it made sense in the baseball realm to hire Sandberg, fine. However in a way I'd hope they did not even actually consider Sandberg to avoid this crap.

russ99
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
If the intent was to annoy Cubs fans, just the mention of Sandberg on the Sox staff in my office yesterday made them bristle. Mission Accomplished.

It would never work. The guy has a bigger ego than Ozzie and Kenny, maybe even combined. The reason Cora works so well is that he knows his role and excels in it. He's not angling for a bigger job all the time, which I'm sure factored in the Cubs decision.

And if Joey gets the Milwaukee job, which would make us all proud and happy, then the Cubs can keep their own crappy icon.

We have our own high-profile ex-players who can do well in the job, like Ventura who's already helped the players and our own hall of famer (one who's numbers weren't aided by short fences, wind-blown homers and tall infield grass) in Thomas who could also help Walker get the message across to hitters.

I'm encouraged by Ozzie's response, though. Seems he's cooled from the posture he's taken the last few years about "what he wants" and was open to a different, albeit strange idea.

TomBradley72
10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm not really interested. Seems like move similar to Santo or Kessinger joining the Sox in the 70's.

I'm not a very big Sandberg fan...his numbers are impressive...but he always seemed overrated to me. Because this is Chicago...adding him would just add more Cubs related drama along with Sandberg as Ozzie's successor drama to the mix...no thanks.

DumpJerry
10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
If Cora leaves, I think the White Sox should hire some of the tremendous baseball minds we have on WSI. It's a terrible waste of resources forcing these people to use WSI to let the world know what the Sox should do.

Bob Roarman
10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Me? I have ZERO interest in hiring Sandberg simply to tweak the Cubs. IF it made sense in the baseball realm to hire Sandberg, fine. However in a way I'd hope they did not even actually consider Sandberg to avoid this crap.

But that's all it would ever be if it happened, a hire based on making sense in the baseball realm, nothing more. Folks, folks, these people don't care about the "rivalry" to NOT make a decision that could help their team and just the same, they wouldn't make a decision just to piss off the opposing team's fans. This is ridiculous.

Balfanman
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
This whole "controversy" began when in a Score interview the Score hosts asked Guillen if he'd hire Sandberg as bench coach. Guillen's response seemed, to me, to be respectful towards Sandberg but most of his response to that question had more to do with Cora.

Of course many Cubbie fans are sure that Guillen is only tweaking the Cubbies, typical reaction.

And as I said, this whole controversy is manufactured by The Score and there is virtually nothing to it in Guillen's response.

I listened to that interview and this has been totally blown out of proportion and manufactured. Ozzie clearly said that he did NOT even know Sandburg. Ozzie simply said, out of respect for a Hall of Famer, that if Cora left he might consider him if Sandburg was interested. The Score is turning this into a "Ozzie is bringing in Sandburg if Cora leaves" story.

Jason82807
10-27-2010, 10:58 AM

This is about what I was going to say verbatim. The fact that he was with the Cubs for so long is irrelevant.

dickallen15
10-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't know what makes Sandberg a worse choice than anyone else. I think if Cora left, he would be a decent choice. That fact that it would bother many Cubs fans seeing him in White Sox flannels is an added benefit, but only if he would actually be an asset as a coach. I would imagine he would be fine. He probably would help Beckham. Sandberg has a similar career path. SS to 3B to 2B.

Noneck
10-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I would rather see a experienced ex big league manager as a Sox bench coach. And no, not Terry Bevington.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
If it helped get a Championship, I would hire Sammy Sosa as the manager...No. If you want to sell your soul, head on down to the crossroads and see if you can't negotiate a better deal.

TheOldRoman
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM

This is not high school.You completely missed that he was kidding, or at least that he wasn't advocating it.

PaleHoser
10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Maybe to play 3B. He's as young as Vizquel and has a little more pop, and would be a defensive upgrade over Teahen.

Hall of Fame career, but he was very quiet as a player. Were the Cubs ever "his" team from a leadership standpoint?

It might make for great PR, but I don't think it would be a good move on the field or clubhouse.

slavko
10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm not really interested. Seems like move similar to Santo or Kessinger joining the Sox in the 70's.

I'm not a very big Sandberg fan...his numbers are impressive...but he always seemed overrated to me. Because this is Chicago...adding him would just add more Cubs related drama along with Sandberg as Ozzie's successor drama to the mix...no thanks.

Take it back even farther. Cub lifer and local hero, Lane Tech's own Phil Cavaretta, was Cub player/manager in 1953. Told Mr. Wrigley before the 1954 season that his team sucked and would up fired and playing that season for the Sox.

Tell me, how different is Sandberg from another HOF'er, Carlton Fisk, that some of you are still yearning for? Except that Sandberg paid his dues in Iowa.

DirtySox
10-27-2010, 11:39 AM

This is not high school.

You realize his post was in jest right?

If Cora leaves, I think the White Sox should hire some of the tremendous baseball minds we have on WSI. It's a terrible waste of resources forcing these people to use WSI to let the world know what the Sox should do.

Original and fresh content. Thanks for the contribution.

Noneck
10-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Tell me, how different is Sandberg from another HOF'er, Carlton Fisk, that some of you are still yearning for? Except that Sandberg paid his dues in Iowa.

Being currently in the game and paying your dues is a huge difference from being out of the game for decades and having zero coaching experience.

khan
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
It would never work. The guy has a bigger ego than Ozzie and Kenny, maybe even combined. The reason Cora works so well is that he knows his role and excels in it. He's not angling for a bigger job all the time, which I'm sure factored in the Cubs decision.
Russ, I'd thought about that. But I think we have to separate our view of Sandberg-the-player from Sandberg-the-coach/manager.

One WAS egocentric and driven, but that was before the divorce, when he was younger and a lot more inexperienced about life. The other was humble enough to go pay his dues riding busses all over the midwest, managing the future security guard, janitor, or high school gym teacher at several levels. He also coached some of the younger players in the scrubs big league team and still in their system.

He also has direct knowledge of youngsters in different leagues than the ones that the SOX youngsters play in, if memory serves.

So, I don't necessarily know if Sandberg would be a good fit for the SOX or not. I have stated elsewhere that I don't believe him to be a legit contender for an opening on Ozzie's staff. But I don't believe that ego would be a barrier to him succeeding as a bench coach or manager in MLB.

And if Joey gets the Milwaukee job, which would make us all proud and happy, then the Cubs can keep their own crappy icon.

We have our own high-profile ex-players who can do well in the job, like Ventura who's already helped the players and our own hall of famer (one who's numbers weren't aided by short fences, wind-blown homers and tall infield grass) in Thomas who could also help Walker get the message across to hitters.

I'm encouraged by Ozzie's response, though. Seems he's cooled from the posture he's taken the last few years about "what he wants" and was open to a different, albeit strange idea.
From my view, who cares if it were Sandberg or Thomas or Ventura helping the team?

I wouldn't give a rip WHO it was coaching the team or where he came from, IF it helped us kick the twins asses instead of being surrender monkeys to them. Pretty much anyone other than a criminal or Bin Laden would be welcome in my book, if he/she could help us win world series championships.

Jason82807
10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
That fact that it would bother many Cubs fans seeing him in White Sox flannels is an added benefit, but only if he would actually be an asset as a coach.

If the Sox hired him and he turned out to be a bust, I'm sure Cubs fans would be laughing, the same way Broncos fans are laughing at us over the Cutler trade. Oh wait, Denver is 2-5? Never mind.

Rockabilly
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
sure I would love to have Ryne as part of the Sox organzation.

dickallen15
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
If the Sox hired him and he turned out to be a bust, I'm sure Cubs fans would be laughing, the same way Broncos fans are laughing at us over the Cutler trade. Oh wait, Denver is 2-5? Never mind.

Yeah, buts it pretty hard to determine a bench coach a bust. Hitting coach, pitching coach, manager, 3rd base coach, you can get information which can fairly or unfairly determine their performance, but I've never seen any bench coach really called a bust. Its a pretty good gig. You probably have a lot of responsibility, but you really don't have any of the crap that the hitting coach or pitching coach gets. You won't have a column stating what a horrible bench coach you are staring at you when you read the paper in the morning. You won't have message boards slamming you for anything that happened in a loss that just happened. People won't be calling into sports radio stations asking for your head.

voodoochile
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't care about sticking it to flubbie fans at all. If the Sox think he's the right guy for whatever job they want him for they should hire him. If that happens to market the Sox to some fence sitting flubbie fans who love Ryno, good.

TDog
10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Sandburg is a weasel who is lived by Cubs fans. What would be the point in another organization giving him any sort of meaningful job?

Rikirk
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
If Cora goes North, Id definitely offer the job to say Frank Thomas or Ventura. But if theres no other... Id go with Sandberg, hes no idiot IMHO.

tstrike2000
10-27-2010, 03:46 PM
If Cora goes North, Id definitely offer the job to say Frank Thomas or Ventura. But if theres no other... Id go with Sandberg, hes no idiot IMHO.

Outside of being former Sox players, why?

Jason82807
10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

I think Frank likes his current cushiony job as ambassador.

Rikirk
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Outside of being former Sox players, why?

Why not?

MeteorsSox4367
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
We Sox fans endured Terry Bevington. I think we could handle a former Cub.

spawn
10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Why not?

It really annoys me when someone answers a question with a question. tstrike2000 asked a legitimate question. Outside of being former White Sox players, what makes either Ventura or Thomas legitimate candidates to be the Sox bench coach?

cards press box
10-27-2010, 06:10 PM
It really annoys me when someone answers a question with a question. tstrike2000 asked a legitimate question. Outside of being former White Sox players, what makes either Ventura or Thomas legitimate candidates to be the Sox bench coach?

Ventura always seemed to be observant and a student of the game. I don't see why he wouldn't be an excellent bench coach.

As for Thomas, he knows a tremendous amount about hitting. Could he teach someone how to hit, or perhaps more accurately, how to break bad habits? Once again, I don't see why not.

Rikirk
10-27-2010, 07:58 PM
It really annoys me when someone answers a question with a question.

Cuz most everyone on this board feels compelled to be a smart ass, I thought id start too.
You dont like it, too bad....the line forms over there.

soltrain21
10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Cuz most everyone on this board feels compelled to be a smart ass, I thought id start too.

You are so edgy. I would like to see your collection of hair gel and leather jackets.

manders_01
10-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't mind at all. In fact, the prospect excites me. Not for the former Scrubs player aspect but from the former catcher aspect.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
You completely missed that he was kidding, or at least that he wasn't advocating it.

You realize his post was in jest right?

The Teal Police, they live inside of my head,
The Teal Police, they come to me in my bed...

voodoochile
10-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Wouldn't mind at all. In fact, the prospect excites me. Not for the former Scrubs player aspect but from the former catcher aspect.

Um Ryne played 2B... am I misunderstanding your comment?

ernie14
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
sure I would love to have Ryne as part of the Sox organzation.

:rolling: You're joking, right. :D:

We're getting way ahead of ourselves. Joey Cora may not even be offered the Brewers' job.

I though they were considering Bobby Valentine.

Maybe Ryno should be considered for the Brewers.

stacksedwards
10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
If he helps Gordon it might be a fit but hiring him for the sake for hiring a name is just dumb

spawn
10-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Ooh...You're SUCH a rebel. :rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
10-27-2010, 10:21 PM
If he helps Gordon it might be a fit but hiring him for the sake for hiring a name is just dumb

I agree with this. I think Ryno could help Beckham both as a fielder and as a hitter. Ryno was a solid hitter for average and power who also did the "little things" quite well: sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc. Plus, if Ryno is as good of a teacher as some of the news stories have suggested, he would fill a major gap on the coaching staff.

Similarly, I would like to keep Vizquel as the utility infielder because he likely would continue to help Alexei and also could help Morel. And when Vizquel retires, I'd like to see him join the coaching staff; perhaps replacing Cox as the third base coach.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
If they really think he is the best man for a particular job, then fine, but don't do it to get back at the Cubs. That's just silly.

manders_01
10-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Um Ryne played 2B... am I misunderstanding your comment?

No, just...and please WSI don't kill me...for some reason I was thinking about Fisk when responding. :dunce:

g0g0
10-28-2010, 08:35 AM
No, just...and please WSI don't kill me...for some reason I was thinking about Fisk when responding. :dunce:

:scratch: :?: :o: :redface: :D:

voodoochile
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Now THAT'S a brain fart...:D:

No worries. I have them all the time. Ask anyone. I leave people scratching their heads on a weekly basis. Most of them too afraid to tell me I'm an idiot for fear I'll ban them. Not that I've ever banned anyone for calling me an idiot when I deserve it before...:tongue:

asindc
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

I approve of this post.

pmck003
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
On the cover, it seems hard to believe someone openly pining for a head manager job to the media would be a good fit for an outspoken manager who has been questioned lately.

spawn
10-28-2010, 11:49 AM

:rolling:

slavko
10-28-2010, 01:08 PM
On the cover, it seems hard to believe someone openly pining for a head manager job to the media would be a good fit for an outspoken manager who has been questioned lately.

That would make him unlikely to get any baseball job. Look for him soon as a barista at your nearby Starbucks.

DumpJerry
10-28-2010, 02:06 PM

That would make him unlikely to get any baseball job. Look for him soon as a barista at your nearby Starbucks.
What makes it even worse for Sandberg is that he was openly gunning for only one job-the Cubs. That job is now unavailable for a few years (I have a feeling they're gonna stick with Quade) and who will hire to manage their team knowing that he will be following the Cubs more closely that the team paying him?

dickallen15
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
What makes it even worse for Sandberg is that he was openly gunning for only one job-the Cubs. That job is now unavailable for a few years (I have a feeling they're gonna stick with Quade) and who will hire to manage their team knowing that he will be following the Cubs more closely that the team paying him?

Sandberg may be a lot of things, and I have no idea what kind of coach he would be, but one thing he definitely is and has always been is professional. If your reason is the reason someone doesn't hire him for a job in which they think he would succeed, its their loss. I think he realizes his Cubs ship has sailed.

dickallen15
10-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Yet Joey Cora interviews for managerial jobs. Rick Hahn has interviewed to be a GM and I don't see anyone complaining about a fit. Moving up is something most try to do. I'm sure he wants to be on a major league staff this season.

g0g0
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Sandberg may be a lot of things, and I have no idea what kind of coach he would be, but one thing he definitely is and has always been is professional. If your reason is the reason someone doesn't hire him for a job in which they think he would succeed, its their loss. I think he realizes his Cubs ship has sailed.

I don't think he's run out of chances with the Cubs. I just think it's not the right time for him. As others have suggested, maybe after 2-3 years when they get rid of their monster contracts and develop some of these good young players that they'll give him a chance.

Red Barchetta
11-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I have an older, second cousin of mine who quite literally, may have a heart attack if he ever saw Ryne Sandberg in a White Sox uniform.