PDA

View Full Version : October 26 - White Sox 5 Year World Series Anniversary

Madvora
10-26-2010, 08:04 AM
And this year's World Series hasn't even started yet.

Hitmen77
10-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Wow! Five years ago today. Time sure does fly.

I know the Sox haven't "taken over Chicago" or anything, but 2005 really gave this franchise's fan base a boost and I think we'll really start seeing it in another 5 or so years as the kids who were thrilled by 2005 grow up and start becoming paying customers.

I sure hope we see another WS title soon and don't end up like Bears fans still looking back at the championship glory from 25 years ago. At any rate, we'll always have the memories of 2005.

Here's to 10/26/05!!!!!:party::gulp:

soxfanatlanta
10-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Feels like a lifetime ago.

GoGoCrede
10-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow, I was 17 when it happened. A lifetime ago, indeed.

JoeyCora28
10-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I may have to dig out the World Series DVD's tonight and play through some of the highlights. I'll have the sound turned down and Barbara Streisand singing "The Way we Were" turned up on the stereo. A box of tissues at my side... :whiner:

salty99
10-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Don't Stop Believing!

Kilroy
10-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Feels like a lifetime ago.

Doesn't feel like 102 years ago tho!

Hitmen77
10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Doesn't feel like 102 years ago tho!

:roflmao:

Rohan
10-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Can anyone pinpoint the exact time that Konerko gloved the final out?

Edit: Found the answer to my own question. 11:01 central time.

Viva Medias B's
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
It never gets old.

johnnyg83
10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I've been through O'Hare two straight weekends and the only baseball hats I saw for local teams were for the Sox.

khan
10-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I will never forget this date as long as I or my father live.

I sure hope we see another WS title soon and don't end up like Bears fans still looking back at the championship glory from 25 years ago.

And THIS is why I believe we as a fandom should DEMAND excellence. THIS is why I hate the "winning-season-is-good-enough" crap with the FIRE of 1,000 SUNS. THIS is why I don't compare the current teams to the crappy SOX teams of my childhood, or give the current management a free pass.

I prefer to measure the overall quality of the current SOX team to that of '05. [READ: "Quality," not absolute makeup.]

In any case, Happy Anniversary to us all. :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

russ99
10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
And THIS is why I believe we as a fandom should DEMAND excellence. THIS is why I hate the "winning-season-is-good-enough" crap with the FIRE of 1,000 SUNS. THIS is why I don't compare the current teams to the crappy SOX teams of my childhood, or give the current management a free pass.

I prefer to measure the overall quality of the current SOX team to that of '05. [READ: "Quality," not absolute makeup.]

You can't let down the axe you have to grind for one day?

A World Series title should stand on its own. Don't act like some whiny Red Sox fan and expect it every year just because they won once. I hate that mentality with "the fire of 1000 suns". :rolleyes:

A little perspective should be in order. My dad lived 63 years without witnessing a White Sox World Series title.

We did celebrate that, and for that I'm very grateful, and expect nothing in the future because of it.

khan
10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
You can't let down the axe you have to grind for one day?

A World Series title should stand on its own. Don't act like some whiny Red Sox fan and expect it every year just because they won once. I hate that mentality with "the fire of 1000 suns". :rolleyes:
And don't act like a stupid, whiny scrubs fan that's happy with any degree of mediocrity.

A WS title does stand on it's own, but time waits for NO ONE. [BTW, there's a difference between "expect" and "demand."]

A little perspective should be in order. My dad lived 63 years without witnessing a White Sox World Series title.
And my dad lived 70 years before he saw his first WS title. I called him right after the last out was recorded, and his words were, "I never thought I'd live to see this!"

Call me "a jerk" if you want, but I'd like for my dad [and for ALL OF US] to see another one before we all take dirt naps.

We did celebrate that, and for that I'm very grateful, and expect nothing in the future because of it.
Bull. Don't lower your expectations. I remember [as the other poster stated] the '85 BEARS as a lad, and I remember thinking that they'd be great for years to come.

25 years later, we're STILL waiting for another good BEARS team. YOU may be comfortable watching the SOX suck for a quarter-century, and that's cool.

I, on the other hand, am not OK with it. Some of us don't have that much time left on earth to wait that long for another WS win.

doublem23
10-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Bull. Don't lower your expectations. I remember [as the other poster stated] the '85 BEARS as a lad, and I remember thinking that they'd be great for years to come.

25 years later, we're STILL waiting for another good BEARS team. YOU may be comfortable watching the SOX suck for a quarter-century, and that's cool.

I, on the other hand, am not OK with it. Some of us don't have that much time left on earth to wait that long for another WS win.

And how exactly does one "demand" excellence? As if whining on a message board is going to suddenly make AJ's knees 25 years old, Buehrle's arm lose 1,500 IP, and Jenks' pants size drop back under 50?

Some of us actually like watching baseball and sports in general for the sheer pleasure of being able to watch baseball and sports. If you're motto is "championship or bust," why do you even watch? And why be a Sox fan? If the only thing that satisfies you is a World Series championship, then you're dumb as a ****ing box of rocks if you're not a bandwagon riding Yankee fan yet. Because that's really all you can control.

khan
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
And how exactly does one "demand" excellence?
Start off by not making stupid decisions that even the most myopic of minds can see are stupid. Stop overrating crappy bench fodder, and giving them bigger roles than their talents dictate. Stop adding payroll to teams that don't have a prayer of competing. Scout, draft, and develop wisely.

Is that "overly demanding?" Or should we be happy with the stupidity that we've witnessed in recent seasons?

Some of us actually like watching baseball and sports in general for the sheer pleasure of being able to watch baseball and sports. If you're motto is "championship or bust," why do you even watch? And why be a Sox fan? If the only thing that satisfies you is a World Series championship, then you're dumb as a ****ing box of rocks if you're not a bandwagon riding Yankee fan yet. Because that's really all you can control.

So are you saying that you didn't enjoy winning the WS? That you enjoy watching crappy performances moreso than GREAT performances? :scratch:

doublem23
10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Start off by not making stupid decisions that even the most myopic of minds can see are stupid. Stop overrating crappy bench fodder, and giving them bigger roles than their talents dictate. Stop adding payroll to teams that don't have a prayer of competing. Scout, draft, and develop wisely.

Is that "overly demanding?" Or should we be happy with the stupidity that we've witnessed in recent seasons?

Well since you nor I have any actual formal decision making capacity in teh White Sox front office, I fail to see exactly how you expect either one of us to accomplish this. How am I supposed to "demand" the Sox only sign or target players I want them to? Should I stage a hunger strike outside the Cell? Should I write them a stern email? Should I put a carton of eggs under my radiator for a week and then egg their offices?

So are you saying that you didn't enjoy winning the WS? That you enjoy watching crappy performances moreso than GREAT performances? :scratch:

Nice job missing the point. Obviously the World Series was the best season of my life. Obviously. That doesn't mean every other year they didn't win was a steaming pile of **** that I regret completely for ever being emotionally invested in. 1993 was a lot of fun. 2000 was a lot of fun. 2003 and 2004 had their moments. 2008 was fun. 2010 was fun for most of the summer. So yeah, even though none of those seasons ended with a big party, they were still enjoyable and that's what I want from my sports teams.

Fans can expect and "demand" (or whatever meaningless buzzword you want to substitute in there) their teams to be competitive and enjoyable to watch. That's fine, I'll meet you to that point. The only fans who cannot accept anything short of a World Series championship have their heads stuffed so far up their own asses they can't stop and enjoy the moment for the moment.

Dan H
10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
2005 will always be a great memory, but it is becoming a distant memory. We can still enjoy for what was worth and enjoy other non-championships as well. However, I don't think we should let the White Sox ownership rest on the past accomplishment. It is, after all, the only WS win in 93 years. I only hope 2017 doesn't roll around with the Sox not winning another. One championship a century doesn't cut it.

Madvora
10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I was at a bar watching the game. As soon as they got the final out, the bartender took out a bottle of champagne and started spraying everybody. I was in tears.

khan
10-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Well since you nor I have any actual formal decision making capacity in teh White Sox front office, I fail to see exactly how you expect either one of us to accomplish this. How am I supposed to "demand" the Sox only sign or target players I want them to? Should I stage a hunger strike outside the Cell? Should I write them a stern email? Should I put a carton of eggs under my radiator for a week and then egg their offices?
No, we should hold ticker-tape parades for the greatness of Kotsay and Wise and Linebrink, right? We should rejoice at the overdraft of Phegley and the cavalcade of future Hall of Famers that are brought into the organization every year, right? We should have a fireworks display after the wise re-signing of Mark Teahen, keeping him from the greedy clutches of the Yankees and red Sawks, right?

All kidding aside, I believe that most management of sporting businesses [outside the Bill Wirtz-led Blackhawks] do listen to their customers. [Hell, JR changed around US Cellular in response to what WE as fans asked.]

Not raising [fair and valid] questions or concerns about your favorite team is the first step towards becoming cub fan-like. Accepting piles of crap as the team you're supporting makes you sheeple, IMO.

But voicing your concerns with your team is a right and a responsibility to a degree, IMO.

Nice job missing the point.
Actually, I did EXACTLY what you did in your previous post, only I had the courtesy to NOT personally attack you.

Obviously the World Series was the best season of my life. Obviously.
Thank you for agreeing with me. It WAS the best season of my life. And call me "crazy" for wanting all of us to experience it again before we die.

Fans can expect and "demand" (or whatever meaningless buzzword you want to substitute in there) their teams to be competitive and enjoyable to watch. That's fine, I'll meet you to that point.
Thanks. I agree.

The only fans who cannot accept anything short of a World Series championship have their heads stuffed so far up their own asses they can't stop and enjoy the moment for the moment.
See, if anyone replied to post of YOURS like this, would you be cool with it? I'm honestly curious here.

In other words, using the "If you have the opinion that I'm rephrasing here to make a point, then you're a moron" line.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Well, so much for my getting into this thread before it turned into . . . what it turned into.

Best birthday present ever. That is all.

doublem23
10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Not raising [fair and valid] questions or concerns about your favorite team is the first step towards becoming cub fan-like. Accepting piles of crap as the team you're supporting makes you sheeple, IMO.

But voicing your concerns with your team is a right and a responsibility to a degree, IMO.

Well now you're backtracking, there's a difference between "voicing your concern" and "demanding" something. I was pissed off the Sox were starting guys like Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones everyday, but I still don't see how my demands would have been recieved at the front office. Bottom line is, prior to 2005, most "experts" and fans had the Sox in the bottom 1/2 of the division. Oops. Hell, if you're tired of the '05 comparison, how many people had the Rangers and Giants in the World Series in April? Exactly. Nobody.

If the Sox were on a Pirates or Royals-like run of futility, OK, I'm with you there. That's unacceptable for any team, and those fans have every right to express their displeasure with the organization at the gate, in TV ratings, etc. The Sox have actually been decently successful over the past decade. There's room for more, obviously, but it's not like it's been a barren wasteland of baseball death and pestilence over this decade. So no, sorry if I don't share your fire or zeal for DEMANDING the Sox win 162 games every year and sweep the World Series in 3 games AND ANYTHING LESS THAN THAT IS CUB-LIKE SHEEPISM.

Sorry man, I actually watch sports and baseball because I like it brings me happiness in and of itself. I don't need artificial happiness, like that from a division, league, or World Series championship, as the only means by which I enjoy the game. They only accentuate the enjoyment baseball brings me. I can comprehend mixed emotions, and understand that even though the Sox ultimately disspointed me in the end, the 2010 season was actually pretty fun to watch and enjoy. I don't see things in black and white absolute and say that 2005 was the only good year the Sox have had in my life.

Honestly, with this attitude, why aren't you bandwagoning for the Yankees yet? For a guy who seems to want to "demand" people listen to him and "demand" management make decisions he approves of, you seem to be missing a crucial point here, you control which team you root for. If championships are the only thing that makes you happy, they're the only logical choice to make.

kufram
10-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Nice job missing the point. Obviously the World Series was the best season of my life. Obviously. That doesn't mean every other year they didn't win was a steaming pile of **** that I regret completely for ever being emotionally invested in. 1993 was a lot of fun. 2000 was a lot of fun. 2003 and 2004 had their moments. 2008 was fun. 2010 was fun for most of the summer. So yeah, even though none of those seasons ended with a big party, they were still enjoyable and that's what I want from my sports teams.

Fans can expect and "demand" (or whatever meaningless buzzword you want to substitute in there) their teams to be competitive and enjoyable to watch. That's fine, I'll meet you to that point. The only fans who cannot accept anything short of a World Series championship have their heads stuffed so far up their own asses they can't stop and enjoy the moment for the moment.

I agree with the sanity of your post.

One would think that when commemorating the greatest season in living memory of any White Sox fan that the chip could fall off the shoulder for 2 minutes.

How about Juan Uribe making two game-winning hits in the NLCS? What a useful player Uribe is/was. What a lot of crap he got every time he took a wild, free-wheeling swing at a ball for strike 3. I remember the great plays he made when we needed it most and that great arm of his.

It is ONLY 5 years from the title. That's nothing, folks.

GoSox2K3
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Honestly, with this attitude, why aren't you bandwagoning for the Yankees yet? For a guy who seems to want to "demand" people listen to him and "demand" management make decisions he approves of, you seem to be missing a crucial point here, you control which team you root for. If championships are the only thing that makes you happy, they're the only logical choice to make.

Why do you keep saying this? Haven't you heard, the Yankees are merely on par with quite a few AL teams:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124095

QueerGirrl
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
That's a night that I will never forget. I've been very lucky to see the Bears, Bulls, Sox and Hawks win championships, but '05 will always be number one in my heart. I felt like I floated around the city for at least a week afterwards, my feet never touching the ground. Damn that was an awesome feeling. :gulp:

soltrain21
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Watched the game on my couch by myself. Couldn't/didn't want to be around anyone else. As soon as the game was over I got a call from my dad who was so excited. It was awesome.

khan
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Well now you're backtracking, there's a difference between "voicing your concern" and "demanding" something.
Actually, you asked how to voice your displeasure with stupid decisions, and I answered your query.

I was pissed off the Sox were starting guys like Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones everyday, but I still don't see how my demands would have been recieved at the front office.
Here, I'd suggest:

1. If you're really disappointed, then spend less money on the product if you find the product to be inferior.

2. In a respectful way, if/when you have to opportunity to communicate with management [such as at Sox fest], mention how you disagree with a decision, and how it really looks dumb to have Mark Freakin' Kotsay as the main DH, for example.

If the Sox were on a Pirates or Royals-like run of futility, OK, I'm with you there. That's unacceptable for any team, and those fans have every right to express their displeasure with the organization at the gate, in TV ratings, etc.
Different expectations for differing degrees of difficulty. For a toddler, walking, not drooling on yourself, and trying not to crap your diaper is a big task. This is not so for most adults.

For small, craptacular teams/cities like KC, and for dying cities like Cleveland and pittsburg, making it to .500 is a big deal. For large markets and teams located therein [like the SOX], .500 is akin to an adult not crapping his pants on a given day.

Lowering your view of the SOX to that of KC or pittsburg is the fast road to mediocrity.

The Sox have actually been decently successful over the past decade. There's room for more, obviously, but it's not like it's been a barren wasteland of baseball death and pestilence over this decade. So no, sorry if I don't share your fire or zeal for DEMANDING the Sox win 162 games every year and sweep the World Series in 3 games AND ANYTHING LESS THAN THAT IS CUB-LIKE SHEEPISM.
See, there you go again reading imaginary posts. Where did I state this?

Sorry man, I actually watch sports and baseball because I like it brings me happiness in and of itself. I don't need artificial happiness, like that from a division, league, or World Series championship, as the only means by which I enjoy the game.
Huh? This is artificial? :scratch:

I actually think high-fiving complete strangers after the 2005 WS is as organic a joy one can have with their team. Pretending to be happy with mediocrity, and "managing expectations" to a low degree seems so contrived to me.

And with the attitude that "good-enough-is-good- enough," why aren't you and russ having a party in the bleachers at wrigley? If you're a parent, why don't you give your kid a new BMW for getting straight Cs on a report card?

On the other hand, I'm perfectly comfortable wanting my team to do well. The 5th year anniversary of this great day is as good a day as any to want my team to do well.

JermaineDye05
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
voEAptjTm4I

This video never gets old and always gives me chills. I have to watch "Sox Pride" again sometime soon.

thomas35forever
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Just finished watching the DVD. Has it been five years already? It still seems like it only happened yesterday.

Let's hope Juan and Aaron can taste it again this year.

I posted this a couple years ago:

On October six-and-twenty, foom foom foom
Jermaine Dye drove in Willie Harris for the only run
It was in the eighth inning
Celebrations were beginning
Foom foom foom

Uribe threw to Paul Konerko for the final out
And then there was rejoicing
Our team praises we were voicing
Foom foom foom

BadBobbyJenks
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
5 years already, wow. Probably the greatest night I have ever had.

:gulp:Sox fans.

tebman
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Well, so much for my getting into this thread before it turned into . . . what it turned into.

Best birthday present ever. That is all.

It was a great night. Simply a great night. I fell on my knees in front of the TV at the last out and banged the floor with my fists.

And while I'm here, SatCT, :happybday

:cheers:

spawn
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
It was a great night. Simply a great night. I fell on my knees in front of the TV at the last out and banged the floor with my fists.

And while I'm here, SatCT, :happybday

:cheers:

After the final out, I hugged my wife, then ran outside and yelled at the top of my lungs. It was the best night of my sports viewing life.

esbrechtel
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Will have to throw in the DVDs tonight as well...

Hard to believe this years WS hasn't even started yet!

2005 Sox thanks for the memories! :gulp:

October26
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
October 26 is a very special day for me and my family. :D: Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Sig update time...

Soxman219
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
:happybday:bandance::bandance:

soxlady8
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I remember the evening so very well in my mind.
I cried when Paulie caught the ball for the final out.
I felt such pride , such honor , such utter happiness.
good times , good times !!

JermaineDye05
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I forgot how crazy Crede was on defense that whole post season.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=456113&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05ws_gm1_houcha_crede_reel_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/22/houmlb-chamlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2)

He really deserved a gold glove for 2005.

kufram
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I watched the entire 6 game DVD set which included all four WS games only 3 weeks ago. I hadn't seen it 3-4 years. That team didn't put a foot wrong once they clinched the division... and a lot of people were saying they wouldn't even win the division, let alone the WS. J. Mariotti where are you?? What it particularly interesting is how the commentators talk about Ozzie. He and the team did everything right for 3 weeks.

I watched the 2005 post season alone in the wee hours of the morning because I'm 6 hours behind Central time. I couldn't stop talking about it to a bunch of English people who were only a little interested because I was so involved. Several nights I was silently punching the air and trying not to wake the kids.

I said at the time that it was simply the greatest thing that had EVER happened, and I'm a well-informed, well-read, very experienced guy who traveled the western world for 20 years doing lots of exciting things.

It is not good that the WS is only starting now. Baseball, in my opinion, should be done and dusted by the middle of October at the very latest. A little earlier in October would be best. Soon somebody is going to be referred to as Mr. November

TommyJohn
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Is it me, or does every thread celebrating the 2005 White Sox dissolve into a pissing match thanks to people who just can't put aside being crabby for one damn day?

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Great memories! Can't believe it's 5 years already. Let's hope by the time the 10-year anniversary comes that we have celebrated yet another WS victory! :D: :gulp:

Daver
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Is it me, or does every thread celebrating the 2005 White Sox dissolve into a pissing match thanks to people who just can't put aside being crabby for one damn day?

Welcome to WSI.

Rikirk
10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Khan man,...I wanna buy you a beer. Speak it how it is.
Never settle for mediocrity. If you can be better,...or the best...go for it.
I pray for the day when we are as good as the Twins and are mentioned in same regard as them, and have a dynasty built that way.
In baseball you have to win the last game of the season and get that WS ring....hopefully '05 was the start of something grand.

soltrain21
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I pray for the day when we are as good as the Twins and are mentioned in same regard as them, and have a dynasty built that way.
In baseball you have to win the last game of the season and get that WS ring....hopefully '05 was the start of something grand.

I must have missed those titles upon titles the Twins won in the last decade. What ****ing dynasty do they have?

Rikirk
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
No ,...they dont have a dynasty...
But they are consistantly good....or havent you noticed that?
Most sports nuts,...er baseball freaks mostly would rank the Twins higher than us. I see the two teams about evenly matched but the nod always go toward Minny in a discussion..
Id like to see that change.

doublem23
10-26-2010, 09:12 PM

This what nobody can explain to me about this... What am I supposed to do about "not accepting mediocrity?" Somebody explain to me how I am supposed to do that. Are you telling me to not watch baseball when the Sox win 88 games because that's too "mediocre" for you? Am I supposed to jump ship and become the world's biggest Rangers/Giants fan now?

I have less than 0 control over what the Sox do, despite what some of the lunatics around here would think. Me telling KW at Soxfest that I disagree with his decisions will probably get a polite response in person, and then he'll be yukking it up at the bar with his buddies in 20 minutes.

SoxSpeed22
10-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I like winning, I would like to win a title every year. But I'm not going to bitch until I'm blue in the face for every year we don't (as long as it's a reasonable drought <15 years). I've lived through the Bears in the late 90s-early 2000s, and the post-Jordan/ pre-Rose Bulls. And that misery is not even close to what many others have lived through here. I want to keep aiming high and count my blessings while I can.

Rikirk
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
If you tell the powers that be you want a better product, they may provide it for you. Im not saying its a lock to happen...but..
Sometimes squeaky wheels get the grease.
Demand a better team, or dont buy the product. Otherwise you get a team like the Cubs.

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I ♥ this day so much. It brings back fond memories of the greatest sports night of my life. Thank you, White Sox, for a night - and postseason run - none of us will ever forget. :cheers:

spawn
10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Some people just feel the need to bitch about...well, everything. :shrug:

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2010, 10:07 PM

I agree. There are plenty of other threads for that.

tacosalbarojas
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Five years ago today...it will never get better than that for me in sports. Will. Never. Happen. Not even more titles. The first one is always the sweetest.

Brian26
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
My greatest memory is waking up the next morning and knowing it wasn't all a dream.

manders_01
10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Love this day! :bandance: Can't wait till we get to do it again!

And this year's World Series hasn't even started yet.

I was thinking about that today as well. Kinda crazy!

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I didn't even sleep that night. Stayed at the bar very late, walked home from that bar, grabbed my car to look at the skyline, watched some TV/surfed the WWW, then left for work at about 6:30 in the same dirty Konerko jersey I didn't wash during the entire postseason.

Viva Medias B's
10-26-2010, 10:48 PM
After we won it, I opened up a bottle of champagne I had reserved for the occasion. I wound up drinking the whole damn bottle and was paying homage to the porcelin god at 2 in the morning - and enjoying every minute of it because I saw my baseball team finally win the World Series.

And, boy, the hangover I had at the Loyola basketball luncheon at Harry Caray's the following day! But I still didn't care because I was on Cloud 9.

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
The feeling that very next day was pretty cool as well. I blew off work so I could run over to Sports Authority and get the World Champs gear ASAP. The stuff was flying off the tables. :cool:

JermaineDye05
10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
The next day was pretty awesome with the rally.

Then in school after that, some Cub fan, seeing my Sox jersey, actually had the audacity to say the Sox cheated to win the WS because of the AJ call.

:rolleyes: That was pretty much my response.

Even my friend who's a Cub fan backed me up by telling the guy he was an idiot.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
This what nobody can explain to me about this... What am I supposed to do about "not accepting mediocrity?" Somebody explain to me how I am supposed to do that. Are you telling me to not watch baseball when the Sox win 88 games because that's too "mediocre" for you? Am I supposed to jump ship and become the world's biggest Rangers/Giants fan now?

I have less than 0 control over what the Sox do, despite what some of the lunatics around here would think. Me telling KW at Soxfest that I disagree with his decisions will probably get a polite response in person, and then he'll be yukking it up at the bar with his buddies in 20 minutes.

Let's see, what is it the kids say? :geezer:

Oh yeah, I remember now...QFT!!!

WhiteSox5187
10-27-2010, 01:21 AM
I was living in New York at the time and didn't know anyone there yet who loved baseball and my roommates didn't get what it was all about, this might say more about me than I would normally care to admit, but I think that that day might be the best day of my life.

10-27-2010, 01:30 AM

slavko
10-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Been doing the DVD's a game at a time, it's been 4 years for me. Just finished the ALCS. I had forgotten those botched fielding plays by Angel pitchers that led to the winning run in game 5. Fun memories, more AJ controversies. On to the WS.

twinsuck
10-27-2010, 02:42 AM
:o: I totally forgot. I'm sad, I can't believe I didn't remember. :(: Now the day is over.

Madvora
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
:o: I totally forgot. I'm sad, I can't believe I didn't remember. :(: Now the day is over.
You'll be in time for the White Sox five year pararade and rally anniversary thread.

TheOldRoman
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM

No ,...they dont have a dynasty...
But they are consistantly good....or havent you noticed that?
Most sports nuts,...er baseball freaks mostly would rank the Twins higher than us. I see the two teams about evenly matched but the nod always go toward Minny in a discussion..
Id like to see that change.All I took from this is that you really love ellipses.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2010, 11:35 AM
All I took from this is that you really love ellipses.It's the new "all-prupose" punctuation. That way, you don't have to worry about what the punctuation actually should be. Just dot dot dot whenever you think there should be a punctuation mark.

PaleHoser
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
After the final out, I woke up my sons (ages 11 and 13 at the time) and we drove to Bridgeport. Streets and Sanitation parked snow plows at every exit on the northbound Dan Ryan from the Skyway to downtown in a failed attempt to keep us out.

We exited at Cermak, cut over to Halsted and joined the fun. A mob of people, but not one was unruly, obnoxious or stupid. Just pure joy, and a reminder that Sox fans are beautiful people.

We called off work and school the next day and we drove out to Midway Airport to see the trophy come home. I couldn't call them off for the parade, but I think that seeing the trophy come home (and Buehrle's truck) was worth it.

Madvora
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I never could replicate that feeling I had at the Sox parade 10/28/2005. If they won it again, it wouldn't be the same. It was a once in a lifetime moment and one of the greatest feelings of pure joy ever.

GoSox2K3
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
5 years of many Cubs fans eating their hearts out. :nod:

I never thought I'd experience a White Sox World Series win.....and I'll always have fond memories of 10/26/05 and the ensuing celebration. :gulp: