PDA

View Full Version : 2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Pages : [1] 2

Viva Medias B's
10-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Who wins it all?

JermaineDye05
10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Rooting for the Giants. I think their pitching will shut down the Rangers bats, like they did the Phils.

aryzner
10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I think the Rangers will win it all.

sox1970
10-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Rangers in 5.

I think Lee is the difference maker.

I hope it goes 7 though.

voodoochile
10-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I gotta admit I think the Rangers will win it, but my heart is screaming for the Giants right now. I not only live in the Bay area (oh man I bet things are nuts out there tonight) but I do have a soft spot for Uribe in particular.

PaleHoser
10-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Giants in six. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

nccwsfan
10-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Picking Texas- their pitching is better than we've thought and their lineup is outstanding. No problem with either team winning though.

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm going with Texas. Just a hunch.

(Of course, I also went with Philly and the Yankees, so this might be good news for the Giants. :tongue:)

twinsuck
10-24-2010, 12:25 AM
The Giants!! Juan Uribe MVP!!

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Picking Texas- their pitching is better than we've thought and their lineup is outstanding. No problem with either team winning though.

I agree with this completely. It's a nice feeling for a change! :gulp:

palehozenychicty
10-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Damn, I wish Uribe was still on this team. I think the Rangers are a better team, but the Giants look a lot like the Sox five years ago. Clutch hitting, dominant pitching, and Uribe.

Rockabilly
10-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Go Giants!!!

soxnut1018
10-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Senor Profundo gets it done in 6.

Foulke You
10-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Giants in six. Pitching, pitching, pitching.
Rangers in six. The AL is the superior league and it will show again in this World Series. Also, the Rangers pitching has been overlooked all year. Cliff Lee, Colby Lewis, CJ Wilson, and Hunter shut down BOTH of the "Beasts from the AL East" in the biggest playoff stage. They don't get the national pub like "The Freak", Cain, or Sanchez have been getting but they are doing some chunkin' in Arlington this year. I just don't see them folding to an NL club that is inferior to both of the teams they just beat to win the AL Pennant. The Giants have a good starting rotation but so do the Rangers who also happen to have a much better lineup.

SoxSpeed22
10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
I think the Rangers win. Cliff Lee must be licking his chops to pitch in AT&T Park. The Rangers are also facing a much weaker lineup than they've played against so far. The Rangers also have more speed and will be able to score in different ways.

VMSNS
10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm happy with either team winning, since they both deserve it. However, I honestly can't make a pick as to who'll win it all. Texas clearly has a better lineup, but although their pitching isn't bad, their starting rotation outside of Lee just isn't as good as the Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez trio. Not to mention that their bullpen appears to be pretty shaky, especially with an inexperienced closer on the mound.

The Giants, on the other hand, have just a rag-tag group of castaways for a lineup, but they seem to be playing very well together at the moment and have hit their stride. And, like I said above, a staff of Lincecum/Sanchez/Cain might just be too dominant to overcome, plus Wilson as the closer.

I dunno, it seems like a toss up to me. I like both teams, but I'll probably be cheering for the Giants during the WS because of Rowand and Uribe.

StillMissOzzie
10-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Rangers in 6.

SMO
:gulp:

Zakath
10-24-2010, 02:18 AM
At this point, the poll is 50-50. Anyone surprised?

Fox's worst nightmare came true, as this is the matchup I'm pretty sure they DIDN'T want.

Interesting the parallel between this series and 2005. One of the older teams in baseball who hasn't won the Series in a long time (Giants' last title was in 1954, when they were still in NY) vs. a team making its first-ever Series appearance in their 50th year.

Good pitching beats good hitting, and the Giants have a LOT of good pitching, so have to go with the Bay Area boys here. Could easily see Washington pitching Lee on 3-days' rest for this one to get him 3 starts, because this one could go 7.

WhiteSox5187
10-24-2010, 02:34 AM
I have no clue who is going to win this series, but because I believe the AL to be a more dominant league and because I hate the city of San Francisco, I am going with Texas.

thomas35forever
10-24-2010, 02:37 AM
I'll pick the Giants. Not sure how many games it will take, but they'll have the title in the end.

PKalltheway
10-24-2010, 02:51 AM
This is one evenly matched series. Who saw this matchup coming in April?:tongue: I'll say Giants in seven, but I don't have a problem with either team winning.

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2010, 03:05 AM
I'd prefer the Rangers because I'm an AL guy, but no real problem with a "Bonds-less" Giants team.

soxfanatlanta
10-24-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm looking forward to watching this one!

SephClone89
10-24-2010, 06:54 AM
The Giants have virtually always been my second favourite baseball team/favourite NL team, so I'm going for them all the way.

WSox597
10-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see Texas win, although I'm okay with either team winning. I kind of like both teams, and have nothing against any of their players.

I do believe SF will win, because of their pitching. As others have said, beyond Cliff Lee the other TX pitchers aren't as good.

It should be an excellent series. ESPN is crying in their beer, too, so that's a good thing.

Dan H
10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I am picking Texas. Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy this series with no Yankees or Phillies. San Francisco is a beautiful city and it is good to see a new comer like the Rangers in it.

ChiSoxGal85
10-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I think the Rangers are a better team, but the Giants look a lot like the Sox five years ago. Clutch hitting, dominant pitching, and Uribe.
+1. The Giants seem to have it all working for them at the right time. I like both teams, so I won't be mad if the Rangers win, but I pick the Giants. This is going to be a fun series to watch - I'm going to make it a point to see it. Hear that, ESPN?

cws05champ
10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
My prediction...Bengie Molina will win a World Series ring. He's guaranteed to!!

getonbckthr
10-24-2010, 11:34 AM
AT&T Park will hurt Texas. Giants in 7 games. If it was in Texas I would've said Rangers in 7.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
At least if they have to go into November to play the weather figures to be decent...it could have been a lot worse.

Lip

BleacherBandit
10-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Look at my signature pic. LOOK AT IT!

HomeFish
10-24-2010, 12:44 PM
The Rangers are by far the better team.

But in my heart, I want Juan Uribe to hoist his second Commissioner's Trophy.

Marqhead
10-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm rooting for seven exciting games.

I'm rooting for Juan Uribe to be the star of the show.

PaleHoser
10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
My prediction...Bengie Molina will win a World Series ring. He's guaranteed to!!

And two nice, fat playoff share checks, even if they're partial.

TommyJohn
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I voted for the Texas Rangers, but I forgot all about my Hitless Wonder Factor, patent pending. That law states that any team with three or more ex-White Sox on their roster at any given time in the season will come from behind to win the pennant, pull off an upset to win the World Series, or both. Examples: 1968 Tigers, 1969 Mets, 1978 Yankees, 1985 Royals, 1997 Marlins, etc. I named it after the 1906 White Sox, the "Hitless Wonders" who came from 9 games back to win the AL Pennant, then bested the 116-36 Cubs, who were heavily favored to win.

So, the Giants have the edge with Aaron Rowand, Juan Uribe and Javier Lopez. The magical Sockie pixie dust is spread all around. They beat the Phillies in an upset to take the NL pennant, now they are poised to win their first World Series since 1954. I voted Texas, but I say the Giants.

Of course, the Giants also have three ex-Cubs. That may poison the magical Sockie pixie dust and invalidate the Hitless Wonder Factor. So we shall see! Giants in Seven. The Hitless Wonder Factor shall prevail.

And I know it may seem stupid, but I look at it this way-if some Cub fan can pull an "ex-Cub Factor" out of his ass and act like an arrogant dickweed about it (of course, he was probably an arrogant dickweed to begin with) then I can too.

TommyJohn
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I like this match: A team that hasn't won a World Series in 56 years is up against a team that has never won it in 49 years of existence. So someone has to win it.

*whiny sportswriter* But...but...where's the drama? Where is the hook, compelling me to watch? What curse are they trying to break? Which team is more lovable? Which team has had the longest-suffering, loyal, noble fans? The Giants and Rangers are dull. Dull, I tell you! Joe Girardi going for a second straight title...A-Rod overcoming his postseason slump...the Yankees trying to win number 28 for George and Bob Sheppard and all those ghosts of Yankees past...the 2010 Yankees adding to the Yankee mystique, the Yankee aura, the Yankee magic, the purity of baseball as played by the Yankees in Yankee Stadium...and hey, let's not forget Derek Jeter's dreamy smile...these are compelling reasons...these are filled with DRAMA......

I find absolutely nothing exciting or compelling about Texas vs. San Francisco, except [insert lame-ass, stupid joke about pick-up truck driving good ol' boys of Texas facing off against the homosexuals of San Francisco]. So you peasants can have your stupid, boring, undramatic, uncompelling World Series. I'm going to watch [obscure, low-rated cable TV show] instead. Out. *whiny sportswriter*

TDog
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't believe the Rangers are a much better team than the Giants. There isn't a big difference in the quality of the leagues. They do have a better lineup, they lead the league in sacrifice bunts and such, but they don't have great pitching. The surprises that the Giants pitching could hold for the Rangers are mitigated with the knowledge Moliana has. Cain and Lincecum matured with Molina behind the plate, although Whiteside (a forgotten man since Posey started catching every game) caught the Sanchez no-hitter last year. The Rangers' offense will be better at home when they have their DH, but the Giants offense will be better in Texas when they don't have to find a place for Pablo Sandoval in the field.

The last time the Giants won the World Series, of course, no one game them a chance against the Indians who destroyed the American League in 1954. And the Giants won four straight.

If you look at the teams and pick the one that looks like it's better, the Rangers and Giants wouldn't be playing in this World Series. Most of the sports people in the Bay Area media were picking the Phillies to go to the Series before the first Lincecum-Halladay matchup.

konerko 14
10-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Giants, it would be great to see Uribe and Rowand get a second ring

g0g0
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Such an awesome year for the underdogs. Love it - Rangers in 6. :bandance:

cards press box
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't know who will win the World Series but I am rooting for the Giants and their ex-White Sox trio of Juan Uribe, Aaron Rowand and Javier Lopez.*

* I don't remember if Lopez ever pitched in any regular season games for the Sox but he was definitely in the Sox organization and was traded to Boston for David Riske.

Madscout
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I picked the Rangers, because I like how they play, and anyone who knocks out the Yankees is good in my book.

I don't really care who wins, I'm just glad to see no Yankees in the WS.

SOXSINCE'70
10-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Had to vote for the Giants. Too much positive mojo. In their last series they beat Halladay and Hamels.Oswalt had
a win and a no decision in game 6 (IIRC).Just 2 HUGE issues for the Gaints in this series:

1. How do they get Hamilton out?
2. Does Posey change his signs? Bengie Molina could heavily tip the scales in the Rangers favor if Posey does not change his signs, IMO.

SOXSINCE'70
10-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Pitching, pitching, pitching.

That guarantees 6 or 7.:cool:

Red Barchetta
10-24-2010, 10:18 PM
And I know it may seem stupid, but I look at it this way-if some Cub fan can pull an "ex-Cub Factor" out of his ass and act like an arrogant dickweed about it (of course, he was probably an arrogant dickweed to begin with) then I can too.

That's another reason I'm leaning towards the Rangers. Another team to hoist the WS trophy since the Cubs. :D:

Lip Man 1
10-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Lopez never appeared in a game for the White Sox.

Lip

JermaineDye05
10-24-2010, 11:09 PM

Lip

Yeah. I remember he was in the running for one of the last bullpen spots in 2007. Lost out to Boone Logan, I believe.

doublem23
10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I just want it to be exciting.

GoSox2K3
10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I like this match: A team that hasn't won a World Series in 56 years is up against a team that has never won it in 49 years of existence. So someone has to win it.

The Giants and Rangers have the 3rd and 4th longest current World Series championship droughts. It's the Giants' 56th season since their last title and the Rangers franchise's 50th season of existence. All time, their droughts rank 8th and 10th. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason _droughts

The top 7 all-time droughts are you-know-who with the longest (and current) drought, followed by the White Sox (88 yrs), Red Sox (86 yrs), Phillies (77 yrs before their first WS title), Browns/Orioles (63 yrs before their first title), Senators/Twins (63 yrs), and the Indians current streak will be 63 yrs in 2011. Ranked 9th is the Brooklyn Dodgers streak of not winning a title until the 52nd World Series in 1955.

If you're looking at current World Series title droughts by city (instead of by franchise), then San Francisco is 2nd only to Cleveland in the number of consecutive MLB seasons played without a championship. Of course, SF only ranks up there if you look strictly at the Giants being the only team to play in SF. If you count the metro area, then Oakland has given the Bay Area more recent WS championships. After that, the cities that have had to wait the longest are Washington (1924 - combination of 3 different franchises but not counting the 33 years they didn't have a team), Milwaukee (1957 - not counting the 4 years they didn't have a team), and Houston (no championship since the team started play in 1962). "Texas" fans (Dallas area) have had to wait 39 seasons since the Rangers moved there.

downstairs
10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
When was the last World Series between two cities that have never won one at all?

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
When was the last World Series between two cities that have never won one at all?'02, Anaheim vs. SF?

TheOldRoman
10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I am very excited for this series. I think it will be incredible. I won't be upset no matter who wins, but I am pulling for the Rangers. The Rangers are the better team, but still, I have a feeling like the Giants are going to find a way to win. I mean, how in the world did that lineup outscore Philly?! I think it is the Giants' year.

GoSox2K3
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
When was the last World Series between two cities that have never won one at all?

Hmmm....good question. Just looking back at recent World Series, the last time this happened would depend on whether "Anaheim" (formerly "California" and now "LAA of A") is considered as "Los Angeles" being in the World Series. If you don't count them as "LA", then the Angels vs. Giants in 2002 was the last WS between two cities that never won it all.

If that doesn't really count, then the last time was Toronto vs. Atlanta in 1992. Toronto was in the WS for the first time that year. Atlanta didn't win a WS until after that year (the Braves had last won it all in Milwaukee).

WizardsofOzzie
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Don't you guys watch ESPN? They canceled the World Series when the Yankees were eliminated because nobody cares unless the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs are involved. Not sure how much of that should actually be in teal since I've heard people ranting on radio and TV, how nobody cares and the ratings are gonna suck. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
With the discussion of championship droughts, I was curious as to which cities had to wait the fewest number of years before being home to a World Series champion. Not counting the teams that won the WS at the very beginning in the early 1900s, here's the list I was able to figure out:

2 seasons: Los Angeles, 1959: Dodgers 2nd season in LA.
4 seasons: Phoenix, 2001: D-backs 4th season after expansion
5 seasons: Milwaukee, 1957: Braves moved to Milwaukee in '53. Last title was 1914
5 seasons: Oakland, 1972: A's moved to Oakland in '68. Last title was 1930
5 seasons: Florida (Miami), 1997: Marlins win the WS in their 5th season.

Don't you guys watch ESPN? They canceled the World Series when the Yankees were eliminated because nobody cares unless the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs are involved. Not sure how much of that should actually be in teal since I've heard people ranting on radio and TV, how nobody cares and the ratings are gonna suck. :rolleyes:

It's amazing that people think this way. I think this promises to be one of the more exciting WSs in recent memory. You have to wonder how much some people really care about baseball at all if all that matters to them is NY, Boston or the Cubs being in it. "If they're not in it, nobody is going to care." Great statement about the game right there.

TDog
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
'02, Anaheim vs. SF?

You have to go back to 1980 to find a World Series between two franchises that never won a World Series. What makes that remarkable is that the National League team wasn't an expansion team and didn't even win a championship in the 19th century. That isn't the case here, but I find it interesting. Of course, if you are going to count Anaheim as Los Angeles, you might as well count Oakland as San Francisco, although that would be a crime.

The funny thing is that the Giants before moving to San Francisco won a few championships (and even refused to play a 1904 World Series). The Dodgers before moving to Los Angeles won just one in Brooklyn, but started winning more in Los Angeles. The teams continue to have the most intense rivalry in sports, but LA has fared better since the West Coast move.

TommyJohn
10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
The Giants and Rangers have the 3rd and 4th longest current World Series championship droughts. It's the Giants' 56th season since their last title and the Rangers franchise's 50th season of existence. All time, their droughts rank 8th and 10th. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason _droughts

The top 7 all-time droughts are you-know-who with the longest (and current) drought, followed by the White Sox (88 yrs), Red Sox (86 yrs), Phillies (77 yrs before their first WS title), Browns/Orioles (63 yrs before their first title), Senators/Twins (63 yrs), and the Indians current streak will be 63 yrs in 2011. Ranked 9th is the Brooklyn Dodgers streak of not winning a title until the 52nd World Series in 1955.

If you're looking at current World Series title droughts by city (instead of by franchise), then San Francisco is 2nd only to Cleveland in the number of consecutive MLB seasons played without a championship. Of course, SF only ranks up there if you look strictly at the Giants being the only team to play in SF. If you count the metro area, then Oakland has given the Bay Area more recent WS championships. After that, the cities that have had to wait the longest are Washington (1924 - combination of 3 different franchises but not counting the 33 years they didn't have a team), Milwaukee (1957 - not counting the 4 years they didn't have a team), and Houston (no championship since the team started play in 1962). "Texas" fans (Dallas area) have had to wait 39 seasons since the Rangers moved there.

I believe the Phillies' drought is considered 97 years-they came into existence in 1883 and did not win their first title until 1980. True, there was no WS until 1903-but there were different "championship" series played in the 19th century-the Phillies did not play in any of them. When the NL was the only game in town and whoever won the pennant was the "Champions" of baseball they never won either. So it wasn't until 97 years into their existence that they were the champions of the baseball world.

TommyJohn
10-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Lip

No, but he wore a Sox uni in Spring Training-so the magical Sockie pixie dust infected him and he has spread it around the Giants clubhouse. I know that doesn't seem right, but in the grand tradition of the arrogant dickweed that started the "ex-Cub factor" I am going to invoke my arrogant dickweedness and say it counts because I say it counts. :redneck

MeteorsSox4367
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Giants in 6. My second-favorite NL team against an AL West team that I really have no problem with.

Neither team is the Yankees and I'm dang happy about that.

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
I usually enjoy Pardon the Interruption as long as it's Kornheiser and Wilbon, and not a guest host.

But today, to have to listen to Kornheiser say that this World Series isn't interesting because it "leaves out 2/3 of the country" really pissed me off. Hey Tony, how come you didn't complain last year, when a Yankees/Phillies World Series left out about 95% of the country? What you really mean is that it left out the east coast, right?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I usually enjoy Pardon the Interruption as long as it's Kornheiser and Wilbon, and not a guest host.

But today, to have to listen to Kornheiser say that this World Series isn't interesting because it "leaves out 2/3 of the country" really pissed me off. Hey Tony, how come you didn't complain last year, when a Yankees/Phillies World Series left out about 95% of the country? What you really mean is that it left out the east coast, right?

I thought Bill Simmons was pretty good as a guest host on PTI.

Kornheiser can kiss my ass. I, for one, will make it a point to watch this World Series BECAUSE the east coast isn't involved. This has plenty of storylines (Lee vs. Lincecum, Great pitching vs. great offense, Bengie Molina, and seeing who will get their first championship in franchise history), and would hold my interest than another Yankee-Phillie knob-slobfest, where the only thing to root for would be the planes breaking down and the transformers in both stadiums to blow.

Balfanman
10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I thought Bill Simmons was pretty good as a guest host on PTI.

Kornheiser can kiss my ass. I, for one, will make it a point to watch this World Series BECAUSE the east coast isn't involved. This has plenty of storylines (Lee vs. Lincecum, Great pitching vs. great offense, Bengie Molina, and seeing who will get their first championship in franchise history), and would hold my interest than another Yankee-Phillie knob-slobfest, where the only thing to root for would be the planes breaking down and the transformers in both stadiums to blow.

I could not possibly agree more!

GoSox2K3
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
I believe the Phillies' drought is considered 97 years-they came into existence in 1883 and did not win their first title until 1980. True, there was no WS until 1903-but there were different "championship" series played in the 19th century-the Phillies did not play in any of them. When the NL was the only game in town and whoever won the pennant was the "Champions" of baseball they never won either. So it wasn't until 97 years into their existence that they were the champions of the baseball world.

Thanks for the clarification. You bring up a great point that the Phillies had to wait until the 97th year of their existence to win a championship.....did they blame that on a curse?:tongue:

I was only counting their wait for a World Series win. Also, the "modern era" of baseball arguably started in 1901. I know many of the NL teams existed before that, but I think it was a much different game before 1901.

Hitmen77
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Should somebody tell this ignoramus that California and Texas are the two most populous States in the nation?
:fail:

Fenway
10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Rangers not thinking about 0-9 record at AT&T Park

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/10/26/rangers_not_thinking_about_0_9_record_at_att_park/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Red+Sox+News

doublem23
10-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Should somebody tell this ignoramus that California and Texas are the two most populous States in the nation?
:fail:

That may be the case, but those states have a combined 4 other MLB teams, so it's not like everyone in Texas is a diehard Rangers fan. Hell, San Francisco shares the Bay Area with the A's. That'd be like saying if the Cubs went to the playoffs, "everyone in Chicago is psyched for the Cubs!!!" Uh, no.

Like it or not, the Eastern 1/4 of the country dominates population wise. The Eastern Time Zone (which is not represented in this World Series) has about 1/2 the country's population.

Hitmen77
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Like it or not, the Eastern 1/4 of the country dominates population wise. The Eastern Time Zone (which is not represented in this World Series) has about 1/2 the country's population.

So.....you're agreeing with the "let's not care because 2/3 of the country is left out" notion?:?: If not, then I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

The only point I'm making is that - in response to what Nellie said he heard - it's pretty sad when we can't even accept a WS between teams from the two most populous states. I'm not going to get pulled into an argument here about which time zone has more people since I never said there weren't a lot of people on the East Coast. But a lot of people live in Texas and California and not everyone in the Eastern Time Zone (which stretches from Florida to Michigan) is a Yankees fan.

I reject the idea that the only time a WS matters is when an Northeast team is in it. We hear this crap every year.....and I don't care what % of the population lives in the Northeast, that sentiment in the national media is just bull****.

but those states have a combined 4 other MLB teams, so it's not like everyone in Texas is a diehard Rangers fan. Hell, San Francisco shares the Bay Area with the A's. That'd be like saying if the Cubs went to the playoffs, "everyone in Chicago is psyched for the Cubs!!!" Uh, no.So? There are other teams in the Northeast too. NY has more than one team, last I heard. "Everyone in NY is psyched for the Yankees!!!! Uh, no."

Like I said, all i'm saying it that people shouldn't be dismissing the World Series just because NY or Boston (or Philly?) aren't in it.

GoSox2K3
10-27-2010, 01:17 PM

It's pretty sad if MLB has gotten to the point where even a World Series between teams from 2 rather large metro areas isn't good enough for some of these national media clowns.

We're not talking Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City here (though I don't remember the media pissing and moaning when those teams were in the playoffs and WS a lot in the 70s and 80s). The Giants have a long, rich history, play in the 4th largest metro area in the US, and sell out every game.....but nope, anything that isn't NY or Boston isn't interesting to 95% of the country.:rolleyes:

TDog
10-27-2010, 07:16 PM
That may be the case, but those states have a combined 4 other MLB teams, so it's not like everyone in Texas is a diehard Rangers fan. Hell, San Francisco shares the Bay Area with the A's. That'd be like saying if the Cubs went to the playoffs, "everyone in Chicago is psyched for the Cubs!!!" Uh, no.

You can't compare the Giants-A's thing with the Cubs-Sox thing. There are hats you can buy that have the Giants on one side and the A's on the other. I don't even know if the Yankees-Mets rivalry compares to the Sox-Cubs rivalry. Giants fans don't care about A's fans. Their hatred is saved up with venom for the Dodgers.

What I find interesting, though, is that many of the same media figures I heard and read complaining six months ago that baseball had a serious problem because no one could compete with the Yankees because of their payroll are now complaining that teams have successfully competed and left the Yankees for dead on the side of the road, at least for the 2010 season.

If the Twins were in the World Series, the media would be screaming about what a great thing that would be. If the larger-market White Sox made it, they would be whining that no one cares. And if the Cubs were in the World Series, it would be some sort of mega-event despite the fact that they also are from Chicago.

Baseball is a wonderful, a beautiful game. The national media doesn't do it justice.

cards press box
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Baseball is a wonderful, a beautiful game. The national media doesn't do it justice.

With respect to the clowns at ESPN, I could not agree with you more. But, I must say, the coverage at MLB Network has been excellent all year. MLB Network covers all the teams well and, from the time that the Giants clinched this year's pennant, they have gone to great lengths to explain why the Rangers-Giants match up should be a great one.

Baseball Tonight on ESPN is, however, useless and annoying. Come to think of it, hasn't ESPN been on the decline since the mid '90's?

Marqhead
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Big time brain fart by Lincecum. He's struggling.

But he gets out of it with only 1 allowed.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
It only took five pitches, but Tim McCarver already said the stupidest thing ever.

According to Tim: "Changeups are much better for Lincecum when they go down."

Can you name me one pitcher in the history of baseball whose changeup was not better when it went down? I believe that's the purpose of the pitch, Tim. Changeups that don't go down are usually what we call hangars.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
It only took five pitches, but Tim McCarver already said the stupidest thing ever.

Can you name me one pitcher in the history of baseball whose changeup was not better when it went down? I believe that's the purpose of the pitch, Tim. Changeups that don't go down are usually what we call hangars.

Please God, pull the plug on Buck and McCarver doing the World Series already.

Thank you.

soltrain21
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Meh. It was a weird way of saying he needs to keep the ball down. He has said far worse things.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Meh. It was a weird way of saying he needs to keep the ball down. He has said far worse things.

My point exactly.

ode to veeck
10-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I'll put my vote in for the Giants, as it often comes down to pitching, and the Giants may just have the edge there, even though's the Texans are no slouch on the rubber especially with mound stud Lee. The no name Giants just figure out to win somehow and besides, they have the 0.083 postseason BA secret weapon Juan Uribe, who single handedly snuffed out the most playoff experienced defending champs Phillies with his glove and his stick.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Freddy Sanchez has Cliff Lee figured out.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Giants really working Lee well.

100+ pitches in the 5th and 4 runs.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Giants knocked out Lee in the 5th. Who saw that coming?

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
URIBE!!!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

8-2 Giants

manders_01
10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Juan!!! :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Uribe goes iprofundo!

Marqhead
10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Profundo

/edfarmer
that means "deep" in spanish
/edfarmer

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Juan wants another ring, baby! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Lincecum pitches after the long rest. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some guys up in the bullpen just in case.

LongLiveFisk
Way to go, Juan!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

RadioheadRocks
Gotta love that snowman on the scoreboard :D:

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Lincecum 38-0 when his team scores 4+ runs :o:

What a freak.

He just made Vlad look horrible.

BadBobbyJenks
10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I miss Juan Uribe.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 10:10 PM
The long wait, coupled with the line drive to the leg, Lincecum doesn't have it now.

8-4.

Freak out.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Huff boots it.

Those plays always come back to haunt you.

EDIT: Not this time. 7th inning Stretch. 8-4 Giants.

ZombieRob
10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow so many games on I posted in the wrong thread haha. WS, Bulls, and Hawks

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Kinsler just made a big no-no. Overran first base.

Viva Medias B's
10-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Vlad having a bad night.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Vlad having a bad night.

and Sanchez having an amazing night.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Hmmmmmm, fake rally?

Taliesinrk
10-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I've looked for quite a while, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find the video of the intro Fox played right before the start of game 1? It was written by Ken Burns and narrated by Keith David.

whitesox4eva
10-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I've looked for quite a while, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find the video of the intro Fox played right before the start of game 1? It was written by Ken Burns and narrated by Keith David.

The freak vs Cliff Lee and its a 11-7 game at the moment. Unreal.

MarkM2112
10-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Not quite the pitcher's duel I was expecting... :scratch:

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Hmmmmmmm, I'm starting to see more votes for the Giants.

"Listen to the tide slowly turnin'..."

thomas35forever
10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
:uribe:
"I'm only following great defense in one WS with great offense in another one, you know."

palehozenychicty
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Kinsler just made a big no-no. Overran first base.

He tends to do that, and it's really irritating. I like their aggressiveness, but the Rangers get picked off more than any team I've seen in memory. The Twins game during the regular season comes to mind, too.

palehozenychicty
10-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Vlad out tonight, Murphy in.

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Matt Cain is shutting down the Rangers.

5 shutout innings. Just two hits and one walk which was intentional.

Ian Kinsler just missed a HR by hitting the top of the CF wall.

LongLiveFisk
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Renteria goes deep! 1-0 Giants in Game 2.

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Renteria goes deep and it's 1-0!!

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 09:35 PM
The big bad Texas offense doesn't phase Matt Cain one bit. Pitches out of trouble.

He's such an underrated pitcher.

Bottom 6

1-0 Giants.

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Matt Cain has been fantastic.

7 shutout innings.

4 hits.

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Go Juanie Go!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Profundo!!!

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Derek Holland can't handle the pressure.

Walks three straight batters to give the Giants a HUGE insurance run.

3-0.

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Profundo up with the bases loaded... have yourself a Series, Juan!

(edit) Bases loaded walk... we'll take that RBI! :bandance:

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Profundo up with the bases loaded... have youself a Series, Juan!

4-0!!

Bases loaded walk for Juan!!

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Rangers bullpen imploding in the 8th again like they did against the Yankees.

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 10:55 PM
6-0!!!

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Rowand sighting! :bandance:

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Rowand sighting! :bandance:

2-Run triple!!

8-0 Giants!

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Way to put that snowman on the scoreboard Aaron! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Tell me he doesn't want another ring!!!

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
7 runs with 2 outs. That's gotta be a post season record.

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 11:04 PM
And some people thought the Rangers were going to roll all over the Giants.

Time and time again, good pitching beats good hitting. Also, the Giants seem to have that special something.

ode to veeck
10-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Most people were calling for the Rangers rolling over the Giants.

Aaron Rowand penalized 15 yards for "late hit" & "piling on"

JermaineDye05
10-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Giants going into Texas up 2-0. Their offense may get a boost with Kung-Fu Panda coming in as the DH. So will Texas though since they'll be able to play Vlad as a DH instead of as a RF. The Giants will still be in good shape if they can just win one game in Texas.

PalehosePlanet
10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Hard to believe this ragtag Giants lineup could score 20 runs in two games against anyone.

Texas hits well at home so it's not over yet.

Dibbs
10-29-2010, 12:48 AM
I love Juan Uribe, and was sad to see him go. There was so much distaste for him around here that I could never figure it out. I love watching that guy play baseball. Go Giants!

Rockabilly
10-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Had a lot of fun at both games.. My wife is on cloud 9 with her team being 2 wins away from a championship..

MarySwiss
10-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Sweet!

Especially sweet seeing Nolan Ryan's sourpuss; they should have shown it more often! :D:

ChiSoxGal85
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Fell asleep in the 8th inning when it was 4-0. What a surprise when I check the score this am and it's 9-0. Just wow.

My son asked me why I was pulling for the Giants. I wasn't really sure why I like them, but I think they remind me of '05 Sox. No big-name stars (well, besides Lincecum) and the mojo working at the right time. And Uribe (and Rowand). Fun to watch! :bandance:

g0g0
10-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Disappointed in how the Rangers are performing right now, especially with RISP.

Hitmen77
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Texas teams are now 0-6 all time in World Series games. (I remember the other 4 losses well.:cool:)

The Rangers themselves are 0-11 all-time at AT&T Park.:o:

asindc
10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I love Juan Uribe, and was sad to see him go. There was so much distaste for him around here that I could never figure it out. I love watching that guy play baseball. Go Giants!

I liked Juany as well, but as a super utility guy. If I had known KW was going to sign Teahen to his contract, I would have preferred that Uribe stayed. Oh well, it is good to see him doing well with SF and I hope he gets another ring.

TDog
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
... My son asked me why I was pulling for the Giants. I wasn't really sure why I like them, but I think they remind me of '05 Sox. No big-name stars (well, besides Lincecum) and the mojo working at the right time. And Uribe (and Rowand). Fun to watch! :bandance:

The Giants have reminded me of the White Sox all season, and I've posted before that they are doing what I expected the White Sox to be doing this season.

Now, with Uribe (and Rowand, although he lost his starting job to a career minor leaguer who has turned out to be the sparkplug of the team), looking to break a long World Series drought and playing a team from Texas who has never been to the World Series, I see eerie similarities. The Giants media is talking about how the Giants have been "under the radar" and underappreciated, and how the national media not giving them much of a chance, and many not liking them and openly rooting for another NL team to be in the World Series.

The Rangers, meanwhile, are playing a little better than I expected them to, but they are still doing a poor job of representing the American League.

soltrain21
10-29-2010, 02:56 PM
The Giants have reminded me of the White Sox all season, and I've posted before that they are doing what I expected the White Sox to be doing this season.

Now, with Uribe (and Rowand, although he lost his starting job to a career minor leaguer who has turned out to be the sparkplug of the team), looking to break a long World Series drought and playing a team from Texas who has never been to the World Series, I see eerie similarities. The Giants media is talking about how the Giants have been "under the radar" and underappreciated, and how the national media not giving them much of a chance, and many not liking them and openly rooting for another NL team to be in the World Series.

The Rangers, meanwhile, are playing a little better than I expected them to, but they are still doing a poor job of representing the American League.

Were you expecting them to poop their pants and spin around in a circle? They look bad.

GoSox2K3
10-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Really? They got schalacked yesterday and the Giants opened up an 11-4 lead in Game 1 and Cliff Lee didn't make it out of the 5th inning. You were expecting worse from Texas?

TDog
10-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Were you expecting them to poop their pants and spin around in a circle? They look bad.

I was actually expecting the Rangers to look worse. I thought they could be shut out in each of the first two games, although Bengie Molina knows the Giants starters very well and knows how Boche thinks. I didn't expect the Giants to score 20 runs, but I'm not surprised they did. The Giants probably would have scored more runs Thursday if Guerrero had been in right again.

I expected the Giants would make them look bad, but I was surprised they didn't look worse in Game 1.

It could be different in a smaller park with a DH in the lineup, but I thought that either the Phillies or the Giants were much better than the Rangers, and probably better than the Yankees.

Bucky F. Dent
10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
My, God. McCarver is DIM!

SoxSpeed22
10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
We got a series now.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
What the hell was that trivia answer? The last AL team to win its first WS game at home was Toronto in 1992? :scratch: Do they mean ever, in the history of the franchise?

TDog
10-30-2010, 10:46 PM
What the hell was that trivia answer? The last AL team to win its first WS game at home was Toronto in 1992? :scratch: Do they mean ever, in the history of the franchise?

I was wondering the same thing. If it was a franchise thing, it was a stupid question. The last AL team to get to the World Series was the Angels, and their first World Series win was at home -- against the Giants. I wondered if that what the question was getting at. It was the first World Series win for the franchise, and it was at home and it was against the Giants. But it was the second World Series game played in Anaheim.

Every AL team this decade that has homefield advantage has won its first World Series game of the year at home. It was a frustrating question. And, of course, Tim McCarver, who earlier this postseason insisted that a home run with one out and none on in extra-innings against the Giants was an unearned run because that is what the Fox graphic implied, was oblivious. Jon Miller would have been asking for clarifications, but he is doing ESPN radio.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Giants by five tonight.

Marqhead
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Did Ozzie just defend Mark Kotsay's 0-4 performances on national tv?

Also, little Ron Washington is amazing.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Did Ozzie just defend Mark Kotsay's 0-4 performances on national tv?

Also, little Ron Washington is amazing.

I didn't see it, but what is Ozzie gonna do, say it was a mistake and then proceed to rip him to shreds? Of course he's going to defend Kotsay on national TV.

Marqhead
10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I didn't see it, but what is Ozzie gonna do, say it was a mistake and then proceed to rip him to shreds? Of course he's going to defend Kotsay on national TV.

I phrased that incorrectly, he used Kotsay in an analogy; he wasn't directly asked about him. Frankly I find it hilarious that he was able to work defending his horrible decision into his main point.

Unfortunately I missed the earlier part of what he was saying so I didn't get the whole gist.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I phrased that incorrectly, he used Kotsay in an analogy; he wasn't directly asked about him. Frankly I find it hilarious that he was able to work defending his horrible decision into his main point.

Unfortunately I missed the earlier part of what he was saying so I didn't get the whole gist.

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Meanwhile, the Giants are having some good at-bats against Hunter. He just got bailed out by Hamilton. He's at 44 pitches after 2 IP though.

Viva Medias B's
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
2-0 sf

palehozenychicty
10-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Giants doing it again. Aubrey Huff with the bomb, and a great throw by Posey.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 10:10 PM
As I'm looking at this series, I'm thinking to myself that the Rangers unknowingly hurt their chances this year when they traded us John Danks a couple years back.

RadioheadRocks
10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Shutout in tact, 3-0 Giants, on to the 8th... :bandance:

TDog
10-31-2010, 10:52 PM
As I'm looking at this series, I'm thinking to myself that the Rangers unknowingly hurt their chances this year when they traded us John Danks a couple years back.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, Kenny Williams likes to trade his brilliant young pitchers in search of upgrades.

Teal implied.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Bumgarner really had a courageous inning. These Giants hurlers...if they can get some better bats around them, look out for the future. Barry Zito is still on the team until '13!

RadioheadRocks
10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Goner! :bandance:

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Posey goes deep!!

4-0!!

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
The Giants are getting closer to making my prediction a reality.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Bumgarner's been sensational.

8 shutout innings.

Good pitching beats good hitting.

and JD05 beats a dead horse.

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Sucks for Rangers fans. On the one hand, you want to bolt out of there, on the other hand, you spent so much money to be there and they could always rally.

LongLiveFisk
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't mind SF winning at all, but I feel bad for the Rangers fans. They have to be feeling pretty bad right now as things are not looking too good.

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't mind SF winning at all, but I feel bad for the Rangers fans. They have to be feeling pretty bad right now as things are not looking too good.

Real insult to injury having to watch the celebration on their field, if the Giants win here.

LongLiveFisk
10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Real insult to injury having to watch the celebration on their field, if the Giants win here.

Yes. That happened to another Texas team just five years ago. :cool:

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes. That happened to another Texas team just five years ago. :cool:

And Rowand and Uribe were there, also. :cool: Honestly, I haven't paid a lick of attention to the playoffs since the Twins got booted, but I'm tuning in to watch the celebration (3 more outs!).

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 11:26 PM
And Rowand and Uribe were there, also. :cool: Honestly, I haven't paid a lick of attention to the playoffs since the Twins got booted, but I'm tuning in to watch the celebration (3 more outs!).

Well, 30 more outs technically :smile:

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Well, 30 more outs technically :smile:

WHAT?! I thought this was Game 4? Holy ****, I'm totally out of the loop. Embarrassing.

Marqhead
10-31-2010, 11:28 PM
WHAT?! I thought this was Game 4? Holy ****, I'm totally out of the loop. Embarrassing.

It is. The Rangers won last night.

LongLiveFisk

It is Game 4 but the Rangers won a game so it won't be a sweep.

GoGoCrede
Ah, I'm an idiot. I thought the Giants were undefeated in the series. Oh, well, back to Ghost Hunters. Thanks for bringing me up to speed, guys.

LongLiveFisk
10-31-2010, 11:30 PM
And Nolan is NOT a happy camper. :whiner:

RadioheadRocks
10-31-2010, 11:31 PM

Booey-Hooey! :D:

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:31 PM

I'm sobbing.

LongLiveFisk
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
And this ballgame is OVAH!!

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Giants lead 3-1

The Rangers have to beat Lincecum and Cain just to force game 7. They also only have one game left with a DH. Doesn't look good.

Go Giants!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

GoGoCrede
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Go Giants. I was born in the Bay Area, and AT&T Park is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen. Hope they bring it home (now that I know it won't be a sweep, lol. :redface:).

JermaineDye05
10-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Josh Hamilton has just two hits this world series.

Nelson Cruz has three.

Vlad has one.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-01-2010, 12:11 AM

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Hitmen77
11-01-2010, 09:32 AM
According to Buck on TV last night, the last team to come back from down 3-1 to win the World Series was the 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Here are all the MLB teams that have done it. But I'm not sure which ones had to come back by winning the last 2 games on the road (like Texas would).
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_mlb_teams_have_come_back_after_being_down_3-1_in_the_world_series_to_win_the_series

The most recent "LCS" I can think of where a team blew a 3-1 lead was Cleveland blowing that lead to Boston in the 2007 ALCS (but the Indians lost the last 2 games on the road).

Hitmen77
11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
The Giants are at the brink thanks, in part, to home grown talent:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101027&content_id=15861458&vkey=news_sf&c_id=sf

Of course, it helps that they had top 10 overall picks to get Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey. The Sox have only had one top 10 pick in the last 20 years (Beckham) and were able to acquire another top 10 pick (Danks) in a steal of a trade. But the Giants also got Sanchez, Romo, and Wilson in the 24th round or later. I think by that round, the Sox have their eye on drafting managements' relatives.

g0g0
11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Giants have been so solid and have really surprised me. Both teams were on a great streak, but I thought Texas would get it done when given the chance(s). Giants have taken care of business.

So glad Bonds isn't a part of it.

Oblong
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
When did Joe Buck morph into Cliff Clavin? Has he always been like this and I never paid much attention? It could be due to the fact I was putting some furniture together and not watching teh game but rather listening to it.

I appreciate relevant stats but he was dropping some very obscure thigns. "Last rookie catcher to bat #3 in a world series" or something like that.....

jdm2662
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
When did Joe Buck morph into Cliff Clavin? Has he always been like this and I never paid much attention? It could be due to the fact I was putting some furniture together and not watching teh game but rather listening to it.

I appreciate relevant stats but he was dropping some very obscure thigns. "Last rookie catcher to bat #3 in a world series" or something like that.....

Some of it I'm sure is Fox who is throwing random **** out there. He also tries to be funny, but he really isn't.

TDog
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
The Giants are at the brink thanks, in part, to home grown talent:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101027&content_id=15861458&vkey=news_sf&c_id=sf

Of course, it helps that they had top 10 overall picks to get Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey. The Sox have only had one top 10 pick in the last 20 years (Beckham) and were able to acquire another top 10 pick (Danks) in a steal of a trade. But the Giants also got Sanchez, Romo, and Wilson in the 24th round or later. I think by that round, the Sox have their eye on drafting managements' relatives.

The Giants started the season with free-agent Barry Zito as their second starter and Todd Wellemeyer (former Cubs fourth-round draft pick) as their fifth starter. Madison Bumgarner was a disappointment coming out of spring training. He had lost a lot of velocity, and writers and fans were writing him off. Jonathan Sanchez, who I have always liked, was a huge question mark at the beginning of the season, and he seems to be a postseason question as well. (The White Sox beat Sanchez a couple of years ago on Alexei Ramirez's first major league homer.)

Mark Buehrle was a 36th pick for the White Sox. I don't know who in the organization he is related to. The White Sox built a deal around 8th-round pick Clayton Richard to get Jake Peavy, who was a 15th-round pick by the Padres. Gavin Floyd and John Danks were first-round picks acquired by the White Sox, Floyd for Freddy Garcia and Danks (with others) a deal for 17th-round-pick Brandon McCarthy. Edwin Jackson is a former sixth-round pick by the Dodgers acquired in a deal built around a former fifth-round pick for the White Sox.

The only regular position player the Giants developed was first-round pick Buster Posey, who was the fifth player taken in 2008, the year Gordon Beckham was the eighth player taken. (The first player taken in 2008, Tim Beckham, was still in Class A ball in 2010.)

The Giants farm system in recent years has been rated behind the White Sox farm system with a few strong pitching prospects. Both Tim Lincecum and Bumgarner were 10th overall picks. Matt Cain was picked toward the end of the first round. The young position players the Giants have been bringing up in the last couple of years aren't even on the postseason roster, except for second-rounder Nate Schierholtz and 21st-round pick Travis Ishikawa.

The difference in the way the Giants have built their team and the White Sox have built their team is that the Giants have been in a better drafting position for pitchers (although Sayle looks like he might not be such a bad pick) and were able to draft Posey over Beckham. The White Sox have upgraded their starting rotation by trading for other team's former first-round picks and Cy Young Award winners.

Hitmen77
11-01-2010, 02:52 PM
The Giants started the season with free-agent Barry Zito as their second starter and Todd Wellemeyer (former Cubs fourth-round draft pick) as their fifth starter. Madison Bumgarner was a disappointment coming out of spring training. He had lost a lot of velocity, and writers and fans were writing him off. Jonathan Sanchez, who I have always liked, was a huge question mark at the beginning of the season, and he seems to be a postseason question as well. (The White Sox beat Sanchez a couple of years ago on Alexei Ramirez's first major league homer.)

Mark Buehrle was a 36th pick for the White Sox. I don't know who in the organization he is related to. The White Sox built a deal around 8th-round pick Clayton Richard to get Jake Peavy, who was a 15th-round pick by the Padres. Gavin Floyd and John Danks were first-round picks acquired by the White Sox, Floyd for Freddy Garcia and Danks (with others) a deal for 17th-round-pick Brandon McCarthy. Edwin Jackson is a former sixth-round pick by the Dodgers acquired in a deal built around a former fifth-round pick for the White Sox.

The only regular position player the Giants developed was first-round pick Buster Posey, who was the fifth player taken in 2008, the year Gordon Beckham was the eighth player taken. (The first player taken in 2008, Tim Beckham, was still in Class A ball in 2010.)

The Giants farm system in recent years has been rated behind the White Sox farm system with a few strong pitching prospects. Both Tim Lincecum and Bumgarner were 10th overall picks. Matt Cain was picked toward the end of the first round. The young position players the Giants have been bringing up in the last couple of years aren't even on the postseason roster, except for second-rounder Nate Schierholtz and 21st-round pick Travis Ishikawa.

The difference in the way the Giants have built their team and the White Sox have built their team is that the Giants have been in a better drafting position for pitchers (although Sayle looks like he might not be such a bad pick) and were able to draft Posey over Beckham. The White Sox have upgraded their starting rotation by trading for other team's former first-round picks and Cy Young Award winners.

Like I said, the Giants have benefited from some top 10 picks in recent years that the Sox haven't had and the Sox trade for Danks (a top 10 pick for Texas) was a steal....and so was the Floyd trade. So, I don't think we're actually that far apart on this as your response seems to indicate.

Since you mentioned Zito, I do find it interesting that the Giants haven't let high-priced bad contracts to Zito and Rowand become total albatrosses to the team. I'm not saying that in comparison to the Sox....I'm just saying this is an interesting part of the Giants rise this year.

As far as the "who is Buehrle related to?" comment. Oh come on. You know what I mean. I didn't say EVERY player in later rounds is a Sox relative. Once again, not every statement boils down to an absolute: "Buehrle was drafted and isn't a relative, therefore I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about" "Mark was a successful late pick in 1998, therefore there any comments about successful drafts is pointless" But I do think the Sox have shown less than spectacular....and I'm not sure what best fits here: is it regard? know-how? resources? .....in drafting players.

All I'm saying is that this article points out that the Giants have some later-round draft picks contributing to their run right now. I guess any further discussion on how this reflects on the Sox would take this thread way off topic and is better suited for the Type A free agent thread in the Clubhouse. So, to wrap this up, I agree that my statement means I think that every single draft pick ever by the Sox sucks and the Giants entire roster is full of homegrown talent. :nod::)

TDog
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
As far as the "who is Buehrle related to?" comment. Oh come on. You know what I mean. I didn't say EVERY player in later rounds is a Sox relative. Once again, not every statement boils down to an absolute: "Buehrle was drafted and isn't a relative, therefore I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about" "Mark was a successful late pick in 1998, therefore there any comments about successful drafts is pointless" But I do think the Sox have shown less than spectacular....and I'm not sure what best fits here: is it regard? know-how? resources? .....in drafting players. ...

The Buehrle pick came a few years after Ron Scheuler drafted his daughter. Symbolic picks, family picks, favor picks are something you see from most teams. Actually, Mike Piazza was such a pick, taken in the 62nd round as a courtesy.

My point is that the Giants and the White Sox are quite similar except that the White Sox have traded for their starting rotation picking up first-round draft picks from other teams. And sadly, Flowers is no Posey. The Giants don't have a great farm system. In fact, for awhile this summer, Joe Borchard was the leading hitter for AAA Fresno.

In a lot of ways the Giants mirror the White Sox. If the Twins had a 10-game losing streak in September as the Padres did (the only team the Padres could beat in September seemed to be the Giants), the White Sox might be playing the Giants in the World Series, and they match up better against the Giants than the Rangers do.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
So if the Giants do clinch tonight, can anyone actually pinpoint a single MVP?

downstairs
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

It may have a lot to do with what happens tonight, remember. Lincecum with two wins would probably seal the deal.

TDog
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Aaron Rowand is starting in center tonight.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
It may have a lot to do with what happens tonight, remember. Lincecum with two wins would probably seal the deal.

I think he'd have to throw a hell of a gem to get it. The offense was pretty much what got them game 1. It feels like the 2005 team as it was tough to pick a single MVP in that sweep. A go ahead RBI single could pretty much seel the deal.

GOB: Did you say seals?

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 08:31 PM
GOB: Did you say seals?

I'll see your Seals and raise you Crofts :D:

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Lincecum and Lee looking equally strong early.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we have a pitchers' duel.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow. Lincecum looking like he did when he struck out 14 Braves, and Lee looking like he did when he struck out 13 Yankees.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out which lineup looks more uncomfortable. Lincecum is absolutely filthy right now.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Mute button during latest lame MasterCard commercial... priceless!

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
this game is insane.

all*star quentin
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
It's getting interesting

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Burrell is killing the Giants. I'm surprised he's playing over Sandoval. Though I don't know many guys who are gonna hit Lee right now.

GoSox2K3
11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
What do people think about the Giants having Huff bunt there?

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Pretty safe bet it WON'T be Burrell

JermaineDye05
Renteria!!!

3-0

LongLiveFisk
Goodbye, Rangers.

all*star quentin
Burrell is killing the Giants. I'm surprised he's playing over Sandoval. Though I don't know many guys who are gonna hit Lee right now.

Renteria goes yard

RadioheadRocks
Renteria!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

GoSox2K3
11-01-2010, 09:45 PM

EDIT: Nevermind! :gulp:

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Now let's see how Lincecum comes back.

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
not over by a long shot.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
It ain't over yet. Cruz finally makes an appearance in the series.

3-1.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Gotta imagine we'll see the Giants bullpen soon.

TDog
11-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Sandoval isn't playing because Burrell, despite striking out every time up, remains a better option. Sandoval rarely hit against lefties after the All-Star break.

If this game were being played in San Francisco, the game would probably be scoreless, yet each side has a home run.

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
so what prison did the two fellas in the front row behind the plate get released from?

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Lincecum rattled after that HR. I think you let him face one more batter, and pending how that goes, you pull him.

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
somebody just shoot McCarver. A "how do you feel meeting"?

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM
No worries, on to the 8th.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
the belief that NL pitchers can't pitch in the AL is a myth and Lincecum knows it.

9 Ks.

TDog
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
the belief that NL pitchers can't pitch in the AL is a myth and Lincecum knows it.

9 Ks.

What amazes me is the total lack of any offense so far in these three games in Texas. All of the runs the Rangers have scored came on home runs.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
What amazes me is the total lack of any offense so far in these three games in Texas. All of the runs the Rangers have scored came on home runs.

The Giants have pitched them perfectly. They've really shut down Cruz/Hamilton/Vlad to this point.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
"Rowand's post-season inexperience" ???!!!???!!!

Shut the **** up, McCarver. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
God, McCarver is a knob!

LongLiveFisk
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
God, McCarver is a knob!

Anyone else see this website?

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd be shocked if Bochy let's Lincecum face some of these hitters a fourth time.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
On to the 9th

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
3 more outs!!

Streets
11-01-2010, 10:18 PM
That fan is such an idiot!

TDog
11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

It was the right play because it guaranteed Renteria came up with runners in scoring position. I thought that at the time. The Giants led all of baseball in grounding into doubleplays during the regular season. I expected another one there becaue Huff had never sacrificed in his career.

The Rangers should have bunted with Andrus.

JermaineDye05
I might lose it if Uribe makes the last out.

LongLiveFisk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdTYVxzEwI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdTYVxzEwI)

Love this Tim McCarver jab. :D:

TDog
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Isn't St. Louis west of the Mississippi?

all*star quentin
11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdTYVxzEwI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdTYVxzEwI)

Love this Tim McCarver jab. :D:

I don't get it :redneck:redneck

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
the 3-4-5 in the 9th for the Rangers. Wow.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Isn't St. Louis west of the Mississippi?

Dear Lord,

Please, Please, Please, Please, PLEASE pull the plug on Fox handling any more post-season baseball.

Thank you.

MeteorsSox4367
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
"That's when they were in New York. Now, they're in San Francisco."

Thanks, Tim. No kidding.

What's next? Three outs in an inning? Three strikes for an out?

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Wilson in to try and save it all. Hopefully he's better than he was in the clinching game of the LCS.

MeteorsSox4367
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Dear Lord,

Please, Please, Please, Please, PLEASE pull the plug on Fox handling any more post-season baseball.

Thank you.

I thought maybe my glasses were dirty. How about Fox checks its facts before putting them on national TV? Mercy.

TDog
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Brian Wilson trying to tie Mark Buehrle on the all-time World Series saves list.

ChiSoxGal85
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Congratulations to the Giants!

RadioheadRocks
How many rings does "post-season inexperienced" Rowand have NOW???!!!???!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Way to go Giants!

Go to hell, Buck and McCarver

JermaineDye05
GIANTS!!

YES!!

all*star quentin
Congratulations, SF Giants :gulp:

russ99
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Congrats to the Giants, especially to our all of our former Sox!

:gulp:

5 days until the Sox can start assembling the 2011 roster, thank goodness...

esbrechtel
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Congrats Giants!!!! Juan will probably be the runner up for MVP. Great series Juan!

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Former Sox Win! Former Sox Win! Holy Cow!

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Lincecum was 4-1 this postseason when up against an ace. What's more astonishing is he beat Halladay once and Lee twice. Don't underestimate the Freak.

Tragg
2 years ago when the Sox played the Giants, the Giants looked like the worst team I'd seen in years. They couldn't hit a lick - their top hitter was a limping Ray Durham. Their pitching was young and spotty. It's a remarkable building job in such a short period.

ChiSoxGirl
Is anyone else having memories from five years ago flooding back to them right now? I am.... Congratulations to Rowand and Uribe. :smile:

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
And some people thought the Giants wouldn't make it past the Phillies.

tstrike2000
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought Texas in 5, but San Francisco's clutch hitting and outstanding pitching gave them a much deserved win after how they played the whole series. Congrats to them.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Renteria MVP.

KRS1
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I may hate the Giants fan base almost as much as the Cubs, Yanks and Sawx, but I'll take them over the state of Texas getting a championship. :redneck

LongLiveFisk
11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm going with Texas. Just a hunch.

(Of course, I also went with Philly and the Yankees, so this might be good news for the Giants. :tongue:)

Here it is...the real reason the Giants won! :tongue:

Congrats to the Giants! :gulp:

thomas35forever
11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I played for the Giants when I was 9-12 years old so I like this. Congrats Giants!:bandance:

And Edgar Renteria just loves the postseason. It only took him 13 years to deliver in the clinching game of the WS once again.:D:

Lip Man 1
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
And now perhaps the most significant White Sox off season in years begins.

Stay tuned.

Lip

Brian26
11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
And some people thought the Giants wouldn't make it past the Phillies.

This is the least talented World Series Champion in my lifetime, and I was born in '72.

You're looking at a team that rode good (but not exceptional) pitching as long as it could and was fortunate that a half dozen guys got hot offensively at the right time. Pat Burrell, Cody Ross, Juan Uribe and Edgar Renteria have no business making up 4/9 of the World Series winning starting lineup.

I think the '87 Twins are up there. The '06 Cardinals had a lot more talent than their final regular season indicated. This 2010 Giants team probably is the least talented to win it though.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Congratulations to the Giants! Glad to see Grindy and Senor Profundo get another ring.

I remember the Sox being in that position 5 years ago....dammit, Kenny, I want this to be the Sox again next year!

The weakest offensive team wins the World Series.

Also, like the Sox, the Giants won every clinching game on the road.

soltrain21
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Wrap this up and start the news so I can go home, damnit.

TommyJohn
11-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I voted for the Texas Rangers, but I forgot all about my Hitless Wonder Factor, patent pending. That law states that any team with three or more ex-White Sox on their roster at any given time in the season will come from behind to win the pennant, pull off an upset to win the World Series, or both. Examples: 1968 Tigers, 1969 Mets, 1978 Yankees, 1985 Royals, 1997 Marlins, etc. I named it after the 1906 White Sox, the "Hitless Wonders" who came from 9 games back to win the AL Pennant, then bested the 116-36 Cubs, who were heavily favored to win.

So, the Giants have the edge with Aaron Rowand, Juan Uribe and Javier Lopez. The magical Sockie pixie dust is spread all around. They beat the Phillies in an upset to take the NL pennant, now they are poised to win their first World Series since 1954. I voted Texas, but I say the Giants.

Of course, the Giants also have three ex-Cubs. That may poison the magical Sockie pixie dust and invalidate the Hitless Wonder Factor. So we shall see! Giants in Seven. The Hitless Wonder Factor shall prevail.

So I predicted it, and so it came to pass. The Hitless Wonder Factor strikes again. God, I'm so wonderful. If you thought I was an arrogant dickweed before, watch out. That guy who invented his "ex-Cub Factor" will have nothing on me.

TDog
11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I may hate the Giants fan base almost as much as the Cubs, Yanks and Sawx, but I'll take them over the state of Texas getting a championship. :redneck

My hatred of all things Texas was developed by suffering more than two years of my life in the DFW metroplex. I have to respect anyone with anything negative to say about Texas. But I'm not sure how the Giants fanbase could possibly engender hatred from anyone but Dodgers fans.

This title means a lot more to Northern California than it would to people in Texas.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
This is the least talented World Series Champion in my lifetime, and I was born in '72.

You're looking at a team that rode good (but not exceptional) pitching as long as it could and was fortunate that a half dozen guys got hot offensively at the right time. Pat Burrell, Cody Ross, Juan Uribe and Edgar Renteria have no business making up 4/9 of the World Series winning starting lineup.

I think the '87 Twins are up there. The '06 Cardinals had a lot more talent than their final regular season indicated. This 2010 Giants team probably is the least talented to win it though.

Pitching wins championships.