PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Inge Re-Signs with Tigers

PaleHoser
10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Two years + team option, $11M (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5710569).

doublem23
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I cannot figure out how this guy is a Major League baseball player.

JermaineDye05
10-21-2010, 05:56 PM

I think he's a solid utility player. He's fantastic defensively at more than one position and can give you some pop from time to time.

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I think he's a solid utility player. He's fantastic defensively at more than one position and can give you some pop from time to time.

This. The guy is a plus defender who is versatile with some pop. This isn't Luis Terrero or Andy Gonzalez.

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Seriously? :?:

I think this guy is more than serviceable at this level compared to many guys who are complete garbage filling up rosters around baseball. I mean, just look at our roster.

JermaineDye05
10-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Seriously? :?:

I think this guy is more than serviceable at this level compared to many guys who are complete garbage filling up rosters around baseball. I mean, just look at our roster.

Inge > Teahen

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Inge > Teahen

+ Lilibridge + Kotsay + A Jones + Jason Nix (who was here opening day).

Bob Roarman
10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah he's definitely MLB quality. Don't see how that can be argued.

Dub25
10-21-2010, 10:43 PM

:scratch: Really? :scratch:

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2010, 11:07 PM
:scratch: Really? :scratch:

Take it even further, would he not be the best candidate at 3B over any of our guys (Morel, Vizquel, Teahen, Viciedo)?

Dub25
10-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Take it even further, would he not be the best candidate at 3B over any of our guys (Morel, Vizquel, Teahen, Viciedo)?

Yep, solid player.

Bob Roarman
10-22-2010, 03:13 AM
But he plays for Detroit, so you gotta hate him and say things like that.

doublem23
10-22-2010, 06:09 AM
But he plays for Detroit, so you gotta hate him and say things like that.

Uh no, he's actually pretty ****ing terrible.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/ingebr01.shtml

Bob Roarman
10-22-2010, 06:47 AM
No he's not. Actually look at the stats you linked, he's just about the definition of "serviceable".

DumpJerry
10-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Come on, this guy could not get the starting QB job at the University of Tennessee. He lost out some guy named Peyton Manning.

hawkjt
10-22-2010, 08:48 AM
He was playing hurt again this year. But that is a problem...injury prone.
When healthy, he is adequate. Better than Teahen both at the bat and in the field.
I was hoping he would move on. Tigers seem to be willing to spend again,eh?

doublem23
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
No he's not. Actually look at the stats you linked, he's just about the definition of "serviceable".

85 career OPS+. For a third baseman?

That is significantly worse than Mark Teahen.

OK, maybe he's a nice utility infielder, or maybe a middle infielder on a bad team, because he once had a pretty good glove. But they're starting him 140 games per year. And paying him $5.5 million. That makes my brain bleed. Though, I'm all for it. The more ****bag players like Inge the Tigers try and squeeze in their lineup, the better for us. Hell, I hope they reink him through 2020. That'd be a dream come true for everyone in Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City, and Cleveland.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Uh no, he's actually pretty ****ing terrible.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/ingebr01.shtml
Why does it seem to me like this guy has been such a huge Sox-killer? The stats don't back it up, but I feel like he's always coming through with big hits and RBIs against us.

thedudeabides
10-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Why does it seem to me like this guy has been such a huge Sox-killer? The stats don't back it up, but I feel like he's always coming through with big hits and RBIs against us.

I think that's the problem with Sox fans view on him, he's had some big hits and big plays with the glove against the Sox. It just sticks in your head.

I agree with doubs, I'm glad he's back with the Tigers. He is a terrible hitter, and his glove is very solid, but his range is getting to be poor due to age and quite a few injuries. I don't expect him to get better at 34. It sounds like their plan is to bring back Peralta to play SS. I feel bad for their pitching staff, if that's true. There will be a lot of balls getting through the left side of that infield.

He is well liked by the fans, management, and teamates, so it's not going to really hurt them, if their plan is to spend big elsewhere. I know they will problem be in on 1 or 2 of Dunne/Crawford/Werth.

It should be an interesting offseason for the Tigers. I'm sure Oblong, or the boards other Tiger fans, can shed some more light on their plans and how Tiger fans feel about the Inge signing.

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2010, 12:01 PM
85 career OPS+. For a third baseman?

That is significantly worse than Mark Teahen.

OK, maybe he's a nice utility infielder, or maybe a middle infielder on a bad team, because he once had a pretty good glove. But they're starting him 140 games per year. And paying him $5.5 million. That makes my brain bleed. Though, I'm all for it. The more ****bag players like Inge the Tigers try and squeeze in their lineup, the better for us. Hell, I hope they reink him through 2020. That'd be a dream come true for everyone in Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City, and Cleveland.

To quote Daver, baseball is not an offensive sport. I'd take Inge over Teahen every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

doublem23
10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
To quote Daver, baseball is not an offensive sport. I'd take Inge over Teahen every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Exactly, the Yankees and Phillies won all those 0-0 ball games.

Could I not take Teahen or Inge? Is that an option? Because they're both awful.

Foulke You
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Wilson Betemit, Chris Snopek, and Greg Norton were awful third basemen, not Inge. Actually, to classify Inge as just a 3B would be cutting him short. Anyone who can play all 3 outfield positions, catcher, and just about every infield position and play them WELL has value to a team. I think Inge's versatility and his tenure with the Tigers is what got him the big pay day. It's nice to have a veteran guy like Inge that you can plug in just about anywhere if someone gets hurt. It remains to be seen if he continues to play effectively at the age of 35.

Plus...don't forget that Inge is very grindy. :redneck

Oblong
10-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Inge is not as bad as his detractors say he is. I watch him every day. He's probably the most polarizing non great player in MLB history.

There's a place for a Brandon Inge on a good team if he's your 7-9 hitter and you only want him for his defense.

Look at it this way.... who was available that is better? Go the free agent route? Which one? Make a trade? Who has what you want and do you have what they want? Does making that trade prevent you from doing something else at another position?

Inge is extremely popular and well liked by a lot of casual fans. I'm not that high on him but it's ok.