PDA

View Full Version : Bill Veeck / Ivy Question

BLRMKRdave
10-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know where the Ivy came from that Bill Veeck planted at Wrigley Field? I remember on a tour at the University of Michigan they stated it came from their Law Quad... BS?

soxpride724
10-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure, but I can tell you the plant is called Boston Ivy.

downstairs
10-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know where the Ivy came from that Bill Veeck planted at Wrigley Field? I remember on a tour at the University of Michigan they stated it came from their Law Quad... BS?

Is it rare in Chicagoland? Because why get it from the east coast?

Nellie_Fox
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Is it rare in Chicagoland? Because why get it from the east coast?Ann Arbor Michigan is east coast?

Boston Ivy is easily purchased in the Chicago area, but I don't know if that was the case back then.

downstairs
10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Ann Arbor Michigan is east coast?

Boston Ivy is easily purchased in the Chicago area, but I don't know if that was the case back then.

My bad I read it fast and thought it said Massachusetts. Especially since its called "Boston Ivy".

eriqjaffe
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
FWIW, "Boston Ivy" is actually native to Asia, and got the name "Boston Ivy" because it is used as masonry covering on a lot of buildings in Boston.

So, yeah, it's from the east. Very, very far to the east.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_ivy

Steelrod
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I would think that striping another building complex bare in order to cover a ballfield's wall, rather than purchase locally sound like a myth to me.

downstairs
10-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I would think that striping another building complex bare in order to cover a ballfield's wall, rather than purchase locally sound like a myth to me.

Well it is Ivy. Maybe they got a little bit from one building and let it grow somewhere before covering Wrigley Field? The day they introduced the Ivy... was the wall 100% covered... or did it slowly grow (as Ivy does) over months?

Nellie_Fox
10-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I would think that striping another building complex bare in order to cover a ballfield's wall, rather than purchase locally sound like a myth to me.That's not the way it works. You can root cuttings and they grow into new plants. Boston Ivy grows fairly quickly. You would not take down entire mature plants and expect them to attach themselves to a different wall. You'd only need to take a few small cuttings from the parent plant.

downstairs
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
That's not the way it works. You can root cuttings and they grow into new plants. Boston Ivy grows fairly quickly. You would not take down entire mature plants and expect them to attach themselves to a different wall. You'd only need to take a few small cuttings from the parent plant.

Absolutely. We have some form of ivy on our gate... I could trim it down to almost nothing, and in weeks its uncontrolable again! Of course its a tropical vine or ivy, and like most tropical stuff down here, grows like nuts.

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Well it is Ivy. Maybe they got a little bit from one building and let it grow somewhere before covering Wrigley Field? The day they introduced the Ivy... was the wall 100% covered... or did it slowly grow (as Ivy does) over months?

As I recall from Veeck as in Wreck, they were up all night covering the wall for the game the next day and then they introduced another batch of ivy that was allowed to grow more slowly.