PDA

View Full Version : Glacial pace of MLB playoffs

PeteWard
10-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I have stopped watching the playoffs. These games simply suck because they drag on too long especially those involving NY . Something has to be done to speed things up.

samurai_sox
10-19-2010, 11:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Joe West is that you??

PeteWard
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM

Joe West is that you??

:rolleyes: Look at the ratings on Monday night.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-20-2010, 12:45 AM

If they really cared about the ratings they wouldn't bury the series on a cable channel that people associate more with Friends reruns than sports. TBS isn't happy I'm sure, but MLB still gets their money.

johnnyg83
10-20-2010, 12:58 AM
If I was the MLB I'd be upset by all the empty seats in the bottom of the 7th inning behind the plate. Embarrassing. They should have seat holders or move people down.

kittle42
10-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I think the playoffs have been pretty damn entertaining.

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2010, 01:03 AM
If I was the MLB I'd be upset by all the empty seats in the bottom of the 7th inning behind the plate. Embarrassing. They should have seat holders or move people down.

Look at it this way... next time someone opens their mouth about how "nobody cared about the '05 Playoffs and World Series", you know what to do. :smile:

PeteWard
10-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Look at it this way... next time someone opens their mouth about how "nobody cared about the '05 Playoffs and World Series", you know what to do. :smile:

Yes and the Sox pitchers pitched. They didn't line up every delivery like it was a 25 foot putt for the Masters title.

voodoochile
10-20-2010, 03:23 AM
SF and Philly played a 2:39 game today.

g0g0
10-20-2010, 09:22 AM

+1

It's refreshing seeing SF and Texas so deep in the playoffs fighting for a WS berth. I relish the Yankees being dragged through the mud for 9 long, agonizing innings. It's a beautiful thing.

SI1020
10-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Joe West is that you?? You like 4+ hour games with 5 or more minutes of commercials every half inning?

kobo
10-20-2010, 09:47 AM
You like 4+ hour games with 5 or more minutes of commercials every half inning?
That's the problem, the commercial breaks are longer in the post season than they are during the regular season which causes the games to drag.

Hitmen77
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Agreed. Other than the NY-Min and Phi-Cin series, the other 4 series so far have been pretty good baseball to watch.....and even the Reds-Phillies series gave us a no hitter.

If the playoffs are going to be on cable anyway (ESPN), I have no problem with them being on TBS instead. I'm much happier with their coverage than having to listen to those Northeast-centric clowns on ESPN.

My biggest complaint to date is how drawn out the playoffs go this year with the World Series running in to November. There is no need for so many off days in between playoff rounds.

harwar
10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I've tried to watch every inning of every game .. the ever increasing commercial time sometimes threaten to drive me away but i stay none the less ..

bigsoxfan420
10-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I have stopped watching the playoffs. These games simply suck because they drag on too long especially those involving NY . Something has to be done to speed things up.

Gotta disagree, the Championship Series' have been great!

WizardsofOzzie
10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Because ratings really determine how good a series of games actually are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2206044

jdm2662
10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
The longer breaks don't help, but let's remember the Yankees stall more than any other team in the league. They do this in the regular season, too. They are brutal to watch. The only time they are tollerable is when CC pitches because he actually works at a decent pace.

Bucky F. Dent
10-20-2010, 10:53 PM
They have been slow, but these playoffs have been extraordinary to watch. Great pitching performances.

Dub25
10-21-2010, 01:12 AM

Not sure if I completely agree with you but I do agree about the Yanks. For years they always seem to take forever. I believe they beat the Sox here this year 2-1 and the game took almost 3 and a half hours.

downstairs
10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
It doesn't bother me that much, honestly- except for how TBS handles commercials. It seems every year the focus on one or two shows, and keep showing the same commercial over and over and over and over. To the point where, even if I was interested, I'm sick of the show already!

I understand they gotta promote their brand, but maybe diversify the commercials or just tone it down. There is such thing as too much being less effective than just right.

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Not sure if I completely agree with you but I do agree about the Yanks. For years they always seem to take forever. I believe they beat the Sox here this year 2-1 and the game took almost 3 and a half hours.

I was at that game, it was Frank Thomas Day. Part of the problem was that it was a Nationally Televised game and those always take longer but the Yankees as a team typically take forever to play just to show that they can control the pace of a game.

DumpJerry
10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
:burly
Baseball is a 90 minute sport.

Foulke You
10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I was at that game, it was Frank Thomas Day. Part of the problem was that it was a Nationally Televised game and those always take longer but the Yankees as a team typically take forever to play just to show that they can control the pace of a game.
All of their pitchers tend to work slow and Posada gives Joe Mauer a run for his money on how many times he visits the mound.

illinibk
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
My big gripe is the schedule of the Division Series. The Phi-Cin series was played on a Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. No need to spread that out three days. It completely ruined the flow of the series. A day off for travel between the cities, fine I suppose, I can understand that. But a day off between games one and two, and then another day off for travel between games two and three is horrible. It's crap like that that causes the World Series to be played into November.

But then to have two or three days off between the LCS and the start of the World Series is also a head scratcher.

Lip Man 1
10-22-2010, 10:02 PM
The postseason schedule issues will be solved with the release of the new "squeezed" (for want of a better word) schedule starting next year.

Lip

ewokpelts
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
in a span of 20 days, we had two rounds of playoff baseball. aside from the philly/reds series(day off in between EACH game), the schedule has been brisk. AND there were no unneccesarry days off in the LCS(unlike 2009) they even had weekday DAY games for the alcs and nlcs.

it's gotten better in 2010, and it SHOULD be better in 2011(the playoffs begin 10/1, according to usa today)

Balfanman
10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
My big gripe is the schedule of the Division Series. The Phi-Cin series was played on a Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. No need to spread that out three days. It completely ruined the flow of the series. A day off for travel between the cities, fine I suppose, I can understand that. But a day off between games one and two, and then another day off for travel between games two and three is horrible. It's crap like that that causes the World Series to be played into November.

But then to have two or three days off between the LCS and the start of the World Series is also a head scratcher.

That's a problem that I hope can get resolved next year. The better part of a week that was wasted between the division series and the league championship series was ridiculous in my opinion. If they would of started the league championships on Tuesday, rather than waiting until Friday we might have been able to avoid November baseball this season.

TomBradley72
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM

I agree with you....all off the off days and the lengthy delays between series kill and real energy around the post season...not for the diehards...but for the casual fan...people have to be dropping off in droves.

They used to be alot "tighter" a day off for travel...then get on with it.

ewokpelts
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
That's a problem that I hope can get resolved next year. The better part of a week that was wasted between the division series and the league championship series was ridiculous in my opinion. If they would of started the league championships on Tuesday, rather than waiting until Friday we might have been able to avoid November baseball this season.only one series went 5 games. when you have a few sweeps and 4 game series, you tend to get that lull. sox had the same issue in 2005.

Balfanman
10-26-2010, 12:47 PM
only one series went 5 games. when you have a few sweeps and 4 game series, you tend to get that lull. sox had the same issue in 2005.

So? move the series up then. I believe that the last division series ended on a Monday. Have the other league start their championship series on Tuesday night and the league that just finished can start theirs on Wednesday.

I find it disheartening that the 2005 World Series was completed before this one even starts.

ewokpelts
10-26-2010, 01:08 PM
So? move the series up then. I believe that the last division series ended on a Monday. Have the other league start their championship series on Tuesday night and the league that just finished can start theirs on Wednesday.

I find it disheartening that the 2005 World Series was completed before this one even starts.blame fox and tbs then

Balfanman
10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
blame fox and tbs then

I'm not really looking to blame anyone in particular, I just hope that it gets resolved.