PDA

View Full Version : Mike Quade named new Cubs manager

MARTINMVP
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
News conference set for this afternoon. No mention of any role for Ryno yet.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/quade-gets-two-year-deal-to-manage-cubs.html

DirtySox
10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Probably the right decision. Hopefully Ryne is not the bench coach.

The Critic
10-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Seems like he did a decent job to end the season. I don't like Sandberg, so I was hoping he'd inherit that mess. From what I've heard from him, Quade might be someone I wouldn't mind seeing on the Sox coaching staff.

doublem23
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Wonder if Ryno would go somewhere else now? Milwaukee? That'd be great.

gogosox675
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Quade went 24-13 with a team that looked like they were on the fast track to 90+ losses. He definitely earned the right to manage the team in 2011. It will be interesting to see what Ryno does now.

thomas35forever
10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I like this call. Quade finished the season strong and Hendry must not want to mess with a good thing. Of course, we'll have to see where Ryno goes now. Moving up that quickly in the organization and then not getting the job? That's gotta be tough.

russ99
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
I like this call. Quade finished the season strong and Hendry must not want to mess with a good thing. Of course, we'll have to see where Ryno goes now. Moving up that quickly in the organization and then not getting the job? That's gotta be tough.

Forget "Ryno". Look at all the quotes from Sandberg since Piniella left, it's obviously all about himself.

Example: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5398569

Baseball is still an old boy network and a me-first attitude will get you nowhere.

PKalltheway
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
This really has to suck for Sandberg, but there are still a few managerial positions open that he can go to. My guess is that he'll land a managerial gig somewhere else sometime this winter. Besides, him not managing the Cubs might be the best thing for him.

The Immigrant
10-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I thought there was some sort of unwritten rule on waiting until after the World Series to make these types of announcement, or maybe that rule only applies to Boras clients.

kba
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought there was some sort of unwritten rule on waiting until after the World Series to make these types of announcement, or maybe that rule only applies to Boras clients.

Selig imposes a news blackout DURING the World Series, but I don't think there's any such policy during the playoffs.

gobears1987
10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I actually think the Cubs made a smart move here. :o:

doublem23
10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks like Ryno's leaving the Cubs organization

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5703595

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Not rooting for the Cubs, but I'm happy for Quade to not have to live in Sandberg's shadow if RS was the bench coach. That would be completely unfair. Quade did a good job with a team that was on pace for a huge loss season but partially dismantled by the time he got there.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I kinda wished that the Cardinals didn't sign TLR and went after Ryno.

I would have LOVED to see Cubbie fans' reaction to that. The whole four years, he's the next big thing, the Chosen One to lead the Cubs to greatness. If he was ever involved with the Redbirds, they'd turn on him and call him a never-was bum who never will win anything managing in half a millisecond.

Well, Milwaukee's looking for a manager...

MeteorsSox4367
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I actually think the Cubs made a smart move here. :o:

I agree. I watched the presser on Comcast and Quade seems very fired up about the job. He seems like a low-profile baseball lifer who paid his dues and now got his opportunity.

How many times will TV types who know nothing about baseball mispronounce his last name?

They also mentioned that Sandberg is disappointed about not getting the job. Sorry, dude. Things happen.

g0g0
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Great hire and I'm looking forward to next season now. Ryno still has a chance to manage Chicago if he stays a little longer as a Triple A manager.

Dan H
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I still don't understand why everybody worries about Sandberg. Is he the only who didn't get a job he wanted? Not that I care, but I think Quade is a good choice. Hopefully, Ryno will go away and stay away.

downstairs
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Forget "Ryno". Look at all the quotes from Sandberg since Piniella left, it's obviously all about himself.

Example: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5398569

Baseball is still an old boy network and a me-first attitude will get you nowhere.

To be fair, the job was up for grabs, and politics is part of life and business. He wants to be a manager, so he's gotta go out there and sell himself. There are only 30 jobs available, and maybe 4-5 open every year.

I don't fault him. He wanted the job, loves the team.

stacksedwards
10-19-2010, 07:12 PM
for the direction the Cubs seem to be going (cut payroll/younger player) I think its a really good hire.

slavko
10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Any chance he'll wind up on our bench if Cora gets a managerial job elsewhere? That would frost Cubbie cookies.

SOXSINCE'70
10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Some advice for new sucker...er, uh, manager Mike Quade.

To paraphrase a 1966 song written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards:

"Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes, here it comes,
here comes your 19th nervous breakdown".

Look at what managing the sCrUBS did to Pinella.
God only knows the toll it will take on Mike Quade.:gulp:

Dub25
10-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm baffled. I don't see how the team plays well for Quade next season. Pinella retires, all the pressure for the 2010 season is gone and they respond. Ok, fine, what about 2011? :scratch:

LongLiveFisk
10-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Some advice for new sucker...er, uh, manager Mike Quade.

To paraphrase a 1966 song written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards:

"Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes, here it comes,
here comes your 19th nervous breakdown".

Look at what managing the sCrUBS did to Pinella.
God only knows the toll it will take on Mike Quade.:gulp:

Followed by "I Can't Get No Satisfaction". :tongue:

Andy T Clown
10-20-2010, 12:43 AM
The Qubbies?? Get your T shirts now. :party::party:

StillMissOzzie
10-20-2010, 12:49 AM
I think the Cubs made the right choice, but...meh. I am sure that the Ricketts got him on the cheap since his MLB managerial experience is all of under 25% of one full season. They only signed him for two years, and probably told him that retaining the pitching coach, Larry Rothchild, who already exercised HIS option to stay, is a precondition for the job. I think it further signals another youth / rebuilding movement.

And, it allows them to save a few bucks when they have all the $$$ tied up in Soriano, Fukudome, Big Z, and Aramis Ramirez (assuming he exercises HIS option to come back for something like $13M)

SMO
:gulp:

gobears1987
10-20-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm baffled. I don't see how the team plays well for Quade next season. Pinella retires, all the pressure for the 2010 season is gone and they respond. Ok, fine, what about 2011? :scratch:

They aren't going to be good next year, but that's exactly why hiring a big $$$ manager would be absolutely stupid. The team needs to cut payroll and expenses. Getting a cheap manager who appeared to work well with the developing players is the smart move.

Sam Spade
10-20-2010, 03:50 AM
I bet joe giradi hates this, only because he could have bled the yankees that much more with the chicago media crying for him. I am not saying I think joe would want to manage the cubs.

Red Barchetta
10-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm impressed that the organization made what IMO was the right choice. Quade deserved the shot based on his performance. I find Sandberg's comments interesting considering that Quade also managed AAA Iowa and then served as a coach in the majors prior to being promoted to manager. Sandberg thinks he should move directly into managing. I know that happens, however I think Quade learned a lot from being a coach on the MLB level first.

I really thought the Cubs would announce Sandberg during their Cubs Convention this year, however I then realized that the Tribune Marketing department is no longer involved. :D:

Kruk's comments about Pinnella (and Baker) not working out was a little harsh. Pinnella managed them to two straight division titles. It was the players who let them down, not the manager IMO.

doublem23
10-20-2010, 10:00 AM
The Cubs didn't hire Quade because he's a good field manager, or a player's manager, or that he works well with kids; they hired him because they need a fall-guy to run the team for the next 2 seasons, take the lumps, and get unceremoniously fired after 2012. By then some of the more boner contracts Hendry inked will start to end, allowing the Cubs to start bringing in some new blood, and hey, hire a guy like fan favorite Ryne Sandberg, who will have spent the last 2 seasons learning how to manage at the Major League level somewhere else.

It's actually kind of a stroke of brilliance on their part.

russ99
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
The Cubs didn't hire Quade because he's a good field manager, or a player's manager, or that he works well with kids; they hired him because they need a fall-guy to run the team for the next 2 seasons, take the lumps, and get unceremoniously fired after 2012. By then some of the more boner contracts Hendry inked will start to end, allowing the Cubs to start bringing in some new blood, and hey, hire a guy like fan favorite Ryne Sandberg, who will have spent the last 2 seasons learning how to manage at the Major League level somewhere else.

The other part is that Hendry's on a short leash. If the Ricketts decide to get a new GM a year or two down the road, he'd want to hire his own guy.

What I don't understand is this notion by Cubs fans that somehow Sandberg is just destined for the job.

He's like anyone else, he needs to interviewed and be considered like any other candidate. Even when we hired Ozzie, he was up against Cito Gaston.

C-Dawg
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I also think they've made the right choice. Strangely, none of the Cub fans I know like the news; they all wanted Sandberg.

I don't understand all the Sandberg love. Wasn't he eventually painted as an unlikeable egomaniac towards the end of his career? Or am I thinking of a different Cub?

soxfanreggie
10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I bet joe giradi hates this, only because he could have bled the yankees that much more with the chicago media crying for him. I am not saying I think joe would want to manage the cubs.

Even without a boost from that, Girardi will probably still make more as a manager than he ever did as a player. He made a little over $21 million as a player, but he'll make over one-third of that in his first three seasons managing the Yankees (3 years, $2.5 per year). If he delivers another W.S. title in only his second season at the helm of the Yanks, he'll likely be getting a huge raise and a much longer contract as well.

Red Barchetta
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I also think they've made the right choice. Strangely, none of the Cub fans I know like the news; they all wanted Sandberg.

I don't understand all the Sandberg love. Wasn't he eventually painted as an unlikeable egomaniac towards the end of his career? Or am I thinking of a different Cub?

My perception of Sandberg (from a SOX fan's point of view) was that when he "unretired" after his bitter divorce, he came back only to break Joe Morgan's record for home runs by second basemen (since broken by Kent). :D:

I thought Sandberg was a good player, however the Tribune media portrayed him as the second coming. When he returned, he couldn't hit a curve ball, his average dropped, he stopped stealing bases and he rarely dived after ground balls.

The Critic
10-20-2010, 12:01 PM

The upside for Quade is if he happens to do a decent enough job with a cost-cutting, kid-loaded team, it could put him on the Manager Carousel and land him another major-league managing job down the road.

Noneck
10-20-2010, 12:37 PM
There are reasons why a guy who has been coaching for 25 years never got a sniff at big league managerial job.

Smokey Burg
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
During my lifetime (since 1959) the cubs have had many managers that were succesful at other organizations. Guys like Leo Drocher, Herman Franks, Jim Frey, Don Zimmer, Don Baylor, Dusty and Lou all had teams that had the raw talent to win a WS, but they were unable to do it. I feel for Mike Quade, because if the cubs don't win the only thing we are going to hear from cub fans and the cubune is "We could have had Ryno!". One good thing the Quade has going for him is that he won't lose any hair over this job.

HomeFish
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, he won't suffer from the instant WS winner expectations that plagued Dusty or Lou.

Woofer
10-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, he won't suffer from the instant WS winner expectations that plagued Dusty or Lou.

Any move the Cubs make brings hightened WS winner expectations.

slavko
10-21-2010, 12:42 AM
My perception of Sandberg (from a SOX fan's point of view) was that when he "unretired" after his bitter divorce, he came back only to break Joe Morgan's record for home runs by second basemen (since broken by Kent). :D:

I thought Sandberg was a good player, however the Tribune media portrayed him as the second coming. When he returned, he couldn't hit a curve ball, his average dropped, he stopped stealing bases and he rarely dived after ground balls.

And some said he retired to reduce his income for divorce settlement purposes, then unretired after the decree came down. So I guess he's not all bad. Pick whichever suits you.

Let's not chew his behind out too much. He could wind up in Joey Cora's seat. Then we'd have to eat our words.

soxinem1
10-21-2010, 07:07 AM

I remember when CHC named Jim Frey manager right after the White Sox were eliminated in 1983, just as the World Series was set to begin.

For one of the few times Hendry made the right call. He said screw Girardi, didn't want Sandberg or the others who interviewed, and decided on getting ready for the 2011 season.

I just hope that the 'World's Greatest Fans' give him a chance and don't call for his head the first time they lose three in a row.

ewokpelts
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
And some said he retired to reduce his income for divorce settlement purposes, then unretired after the decree came down. So I guess he's not all bad. Pick whichever suits you.

Let's not chew his behind out too much. He could wind up in Joey Cora's seat. Then we'd have to eat our words.I think he retired in 94 to try saving his marriage.

SOXSINCE'70
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Followed by "I Can't Get No Satisfaction". :tongue:

You are correct, sir.:bandance::bandance:
For the fans who still think this team can win eventually,
may I suggest "You Can't Always Get What You Want" ??:D:

Red Barchetta
10-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Let's not chew his behind out too much. He could wind up in Joey Cora's seat. Then we'd have to eat our words.

I'm not chewing him out. I just don't think he was that good when he came back, for whatever reasons that prompted his Jordan-like retirement.

I remember all the rumors involving his wife and Rafael Palmero and Davey Martinez. Also, didn't Sandberg eventually marry his best friend's wife after he became single? Nice! :D:

Rikirk
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
It seems to me that Ryno was this guy ...picture this image...hands clasped, puppie dog eyes, please , please , please gimme the job. I jumped thru all your hoops. They walk right past him and choose the next guy.

I dunno...I feel sorry for Ryno. Hopefully he sticks it to them down the line somewhere.

Foulke You
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
It seems to me that Ryno was this guy ...picture this image...hands clasped, puppie dog eyes, please , please , please gimme the job. I jumped thru all your hoops. They walk right past him and choose the next guy.

I dunno...I feel sorry for Ryno. Hopefully he sticks it to them down the line somewhere.
I'm not a Sandberg fan but I agree that he was pretty much screwed. I don't think Hendry ever had interest in Sandberg managing and he didn't think that he would call his bluff by accepting managing jobs in the minors. He did it and had success down there so you can't blame Sandberg for being upset about the situation.

ernie14
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm not chewing him out. I just don't think he was that good when he came back, for whatever reasons that prompted his Jordan-like retirement.

I remember all the rumors involving his wife and Rafael Palmero and Davey Martinez. Also, didn't Sandberg eventually marry his best friend's wife after he became single? Nice! :D:

My goodness, Red Barchetta, did I miss something? What's all this about his first wife and Dave Martinez and Palmeiro? I never heard anything and I was living in Chicago at that time.

Most rumors turn out to be false anyway and what does this have to do with his ability to manage a ballclub that stinks no matter who manages.

:D::D::D:

As far as stealing another man's wife ( if it's true and only if it's true)
it's only 50 per cent his fault. TAKES TWO.
She could have said " NO "!!!
She could have slapped his FAT UGLY face and walked away.

Back to baseball - the scrubs stink - Doesn't matter who manages!!!!!:dtroll:

Brian26
10-24-2010, 07:22 PM
During my lifetime (since 1959) the cubs have had many managers that were succesful at other organizations. Guys like Leo Drocher, Herman Franks, Jim Frey, Don Zimmer, Don Baylor, Dusty and Lou all had teams that had the raw talent to win a WS, but they were unable to do it.

Not sure on the Herman Franks part. He managed during a very bad era of Cubs baseball.

Rockabilly
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Apparently losing Jaramillo didn't affect the Rangers

Red Barchetta
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
My goodness, Red Barchetta, did I miss something? What's all this about his first wife and Dave Martinez and Palmeiro? I never heard anything and I was living in Chicago at that time.

Most rumors turn out to be false anyway and what does this have to do with his ability to manage a ballclub that stinks no matter who manages.

:D::D::D:

As far as stealing another man's wife ( if it's true and only if it's true)
it's only 50 per cent his fault. TAKES TWO.
She could have said " NO "!!!
She could have slapped his FAT UGLY face and walked away.

Back to baseball - the scrubs stink - Doesn't matter who manages!!!!!:dtroll:

That was the rumor I heard going around at the time. The timing backs it up because Sandberg was the face of the organization and the Davey Martinez/Mitch Webster (non) trade with Montreal came right around that time as there were whispers that they could not continue having both guys in the same clubhouse. Palmeiro had already been traded.

His divorce from his first wife Cindy, wasn't final before his relationship with his second wife began. I agree about the 50/50, however this SI article from that time touches on some of the rumors, however I remember a few comments from the air jockeys linking Cindy Sandberg to Davey Martinez, thus the "non-trade". His second wife Margaret is described as a "neighborhood friend" who he got involved with. I think it was a case of two people both unhappy in their respective marriages getting together and blending their families.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007823/1/index.htm

Regarding Palmeiro and/or Martinez, just perform a Google search with their names and Ryno and you'll get tons of rumor posts.

Many people, not just ballplayers, have marital issues, so it's not a blast on Ryno. I just find it interesting to read about the lengths the Cubs organization allegedly went to in order to protect their franchise player.

Smokey Burg
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Not sure on the Herman Franks part. He managed during a very bad era of Cubs baseball.

IIRC, I added Herman Franks because the cubs almost made the playoffs in 1977. He also was the first cubs skipper to have Bruce Sutter. He probably had the bare minimum of talent to make the playoffs, but upper management refused to help him out.

EndemicSox
10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Good hire, imo...seems to have the perfect personality for a MLB manager, and some brains...couldn't have done much better. A good manager may get you 3-5 extra wins, and a bad one 3-5 losses, not sure where MQ falls on that scale, but in the grand scheme of things, the manager matters not...for the most part. Get them some good players, and and the Ringling Brothers could manage a team to a title...

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Sandberg has left the Cubs organization.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/hendry-confirms-sandberg-left-cubs-organization.html

ernie14
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Sandberg: A spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement.

Thinks his stuff doesn't stink

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum

soltrain21
11-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Sandberg: A spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement.

Thinks his stuff doesn't stink

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum

I don't see anything wrong with him leaving. I don't see what is "spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement" about it. He wants to coach in the majors. He won't get that option with the Cubs.

But right, it's the Cubs.

g0g0
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't see anything wrong with him leaving. I don't see what's "spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement" about it. He wants to coach in the majors. He won't get that option with the Cubs.

+1

Sad to see him go, but if the top job is his dream and he wants to pursue it then best of luck. I just wish he would have given it a coupe more years in AAA.

Moses_Scurry
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
So assuming Sandberg can't get a MLB managing job for 2011, where does he go? Will he be a bench coach somewhere else? Will he go to the minors again? Will he sit at home eating Ho-Ho's and playing the Sega Genesis?

I don't see how leaving the Cubs helps his prospects any unless he actually lands a 2011 major league managing job. Do any other teams have interest in him in that capacity?

Red Barchetta
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with him leaving. I don't see what is "spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement" about it. He wants to coach in the majors. He won't get that option with the Cubs.

I agree. It happens all the time in the business world. An organization has a choice of qualified candidates and they choose the best fit based on their decided criteria. The candidates "passed over" realize their upward mobility at that particular organization is now limited and sometimes it's best to leave. Even if he takes a lateral position as the AAA manager for another team, the issue is whether there is another near-term opportunity within that organization to manage at the MLB level.

Plus, we don't if he was informally promised the job upon Lou's retirement. Something could have changed based on the ownership change.

Hitmen77
11-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Sandberg reportedly will be the next manager of the Phillies AAA team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/sandberg-to-manage-phillies-triple-a-team.html

ewokpelts
11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Sandburg reportedly will be the next manager of the Phillies AAA team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/sandberg-to-manage-phillies-triple-a-team.html

who's sandburg?

Hitmen77
11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
who's sandburg?

:doh:

TDog
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM

There may be nothing wrong with Sandberg leaving the Cubs organization under these circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a sense of entitlement. The Cubs are probably better off without him.

downstairs
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
There may be nothing wrong with Sandberg leaving the Cubs organization under these circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a sense of entitlement. The Cubs are probably better off without him.

I disagree. You have to market yourself and make it known that you want to be manager. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a MLB manager- and if I wanted the job I'd be telling everyone that would listen, including the media.

soltrain21
11-15-2010, 06:39 PM

How did he have a sense of entitlement? He wanted the job. Do you not want to have bigger and better things in your life? Was I wrong in telling people I was qualified for the job I currently have and trying to work any angle I could to get it?

TDog
11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I disagree. You have to market yourself and make it known that you want to be manager. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a MLB manager- and if I wanted the job I'd be telling everyone that would listen, including the media.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a manager, even if you have no business being a manager. Sandberg has character issues that are exclusive of that. Those character issues manifesting themselves in Sandberg wanting a shortcut to a big-league managerial post. It is to his credit that he left the Cubs organization. He is now in a position where he will have to earn the job in an organization other than Cubs where he acted as if he didn't have to earn it.

My problem isn't with Sandberg leaving the Cubs.

TommyJohn
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
who's sandburg?

Carl Sandburg. You know, the guy who wrote about Lincoln.

soltrain21
11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a manager, even if you have no business being a manager. Sandberg has character issues that are exclusive of that. Those character issues manifesting themselves in Sandberg wanting a shortcut to a big-league managerial post. It is to his credit that he left the Cubs organization. He is now in a position where he will have to earn the job in an organization other than Cubs where he acted as if he didn't have to earn it.

My problem isn't with Sandberg leaving the Cubs.

If he was getting a "shortcut" to a managerial position than what the hell did Ozzie Guillen get? Ryne coached in the minors for a few years, at least.

TDog
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
If he was getting a "shortcut" to a managerial position than what the hell did Ozzie Guillen get? Ryne coached in the minors for a few years, at least.

Ozzie Guillen was qualified to manage at the major-league level when the White Sox hired him from the Marlins organization. Hanging around in the minors for a team for which you used to be the star does not entitle you to a managerial job when an opening comes up.

Sandberg is not qualified to manage except in the he-couldn't-be-any-worse-than-anyone-else sense. To the Cubs' credit, that wasn't the criteria they used when they chose their current manager.

And to Sanberg's credit, he seems willing to go to another organization where he will have to show he has learned how to manage.

Ex-Chicagoan
11-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Ozzie Guillen was qualified to manage at the major-league level when the White Sox hired him from the Marlins organization. Hanging around in the minors for a team for which you used to be the star does not entitle you to a managerial job when an opening comes up.

Just so we're clear: a bench coach at the major league level who did not manage in the minors (Guillen) is qualified to manage at the major-league level, while a guy who managed in the minors (Sandberg, Quade) is not?

Does Sandberg simply need to "hang around" on a major-league bench?

soltrain21
11-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Sandberg is not qualified to manage except in the he-couldn't-be-any-worse-than-anyone-else sense. To the Cubs' credit, that wasn't the criteria they used when they chose their current manager.

And to Sanberg's credit, he seems willing to go to another organization where he will have to show he has learned how to manage.

Nope. Sorry.

ewokpelts
11-16-2010, 10:10 AM
he did four season in the minor leagues to prove his worth. fours years was the max length of lou's deal, so ryno was going to be a candidate no matter what.

if anything, i gotta hand it to sandberg. he had big balls asking for the job in 06, and took hendry sayin no pretty well, while agreeing to work in the minors.

it's rare for a HOFer to accept a spot in the minors of the team he played for. most guys become coashes on the big league level and skip the minors.

guys like ozzie are lucky becuase he had a mentor(torborg) who offered him a coaching job not too long after he retired, so he didnt have to slug it out in the minors.