PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

Moses_Scurry
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Why would any teams in contention NOT at least make some kind of effort to sign Cliff Lee this offseason? I don't care how stacked your rotation is, he makes you an automatic favorite. Imagine the Sox signing Lee and trading Danks for a stud right fielder. I can dream!

JermaineDye05
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Why would there be any teams in contention NOT at least make some kind of effort to sign Cliff Lee this offseason? I don't care how stacked your rotation is, he makes you an automatic favorite. Imagine the Sox signing Lee and trading Danks for a stud right fielder. I can dream!

Given the money already committed to Jake, I don't see it happening. Plus, I think the Sox are more focused on offense this offseason with the rotation pretty much set with Danks, Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, and Jackson, not to mention Chris Sale waiting in the wings if needed.

Moses_Scurry
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Given the money already committed to Jake, I don't see it happening. Plus, I think the Sox are more focused on offense this offseason with the rotation pretty much set with Danks, Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, and Jackson, not to mention Chris Sale waiting in the wings if needed.

That's where the trade of Danks for offense comes in!

By the way, I didn't mean to put that big smiley face on the post. I must have brushed it.

Daver
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
By the way, I didn't mean to put that big smiley face on the post. I must have brushed it.

What are you talking about?

Moses_Scurry
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
What are you talking about?

Thanks.

DumpJerry
10-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Nolan Ryan is dead set on making the Ranger a premier pitching team. He will not let Lee get away. If Lee gets a WS Ring, it would be hard for him to say no to the Rangers.

LongLiveFisk
10-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Nolan Ryan is dead set on making the Ranger a premier pitching team. He will not let Lee get away. If Lee gets a WS Ring, it would be hard for him to say no to the Rangers.

This is what I am thinking, especially with the way he has dominated the Yankees.

(Of course, that's also just further incentive for the Yankees to try going after him as well.)

palehozenychicty
10-19-2010, 01:18 AM

If we could dream. I want to believe in Jake, but until I see it, I don't believe anymore.

I'd give up some things for Mr. Lee. He's kind of good.

JermaineDye05
10-19-2010, 01:34 AM
If we could dream. I want to believe in Jake, but until I see it, I don't believe anymore.

I'd give up some things for Mr. Lee. He's kind of good.

Yeah, but Moses was talking about signing Lee at the expense of trading Danks. I really don't think that's the right thing to do right now, unless you can get someone like David Wright or Ryan Zimmerman in return, AND guarantee me that the Sox sign Lee.

doublem23
10-19-2010, 07:57 AM
He's going to the Yankees, guys. On top of the fact that they've got what is essentially an unlimited payroll, they're also dropping about $40 M in back pay to players no longer on their roster and free agents.

I'm sure the Sox and Rangers will throw an offer at him to say they did, but there's no point in wasting time getting into serious negotiations with a guy who will be in Yankee pinstripes next April.

Red Barchetta
10-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I would love to add Cliff Lee, however I would love winning the lottery as well. Personally, I think Lee just auditioned for his new team last night.

I also am not counting on Peavy's return. The fact that his muscle pulled off his bone really scares me. Scar tissue will form during the healing process so I'm really not counting on him. If he makes it back, it's a plus.

Moses_Scurry
10-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Ultimately it's Lee's decision where he goes. I'm just saying that he is absolutely incredible, especially in the post-season. Any team that at least thinks they have a decent chance next year should at least be preparing some kind of offer to make to him or else they are not serving their fanbase. Sure he will probably end up with the Yanks or Rangers, but you really do not know what is going on in his head. Maybe he grew up a big Reds fan, but hasn't told anybody.

While I don't want to see a big cross country tour with an hour special on ESPN to announce "The Decision", every team that has expectations to contend next year should be at least guaging his interest level. He will probably bring in at least half his salary in added revenue anyway. Maybe they all do, and we just don't hear about it. If I'm a Twins fan, and I somehow gain inside knowledge that the front office did not even make one call to see his interest level, I would be pretty disillusioned.

rainbow6
10-19-2010, 09:06 AM
The problem with your premise is that signing Lee would tie up 20% of your entire payroll - unless you are one of the top few teams in spending.

This automatically takes him off the list of all the teams that "think they may be in contention." It doesn't make any sense to invest that much money in one pitcher at the expense of the rest of the team.

I loved the Peavey trade at the time - now I think I may agree with Reinsdorf's prior stance on limiting multi-year contracts to pitchers.

Ultimately it's Lee's decision where he goes. I'm just saying that he is absolutely incredible, especially in the post-season. Any team that at least thinks they have a decent chance next year should at least be preparing some kind of offer to make to him or else they are not serving their fanbase. Sure he will probably end up with the Yanks or Rangers, but you really do not know what is going on in his head. Maybe he grew up a big Reds fan, but hasn't told anybody.

While I don't want to see a big cross country tour with an hour special on ESPN to announce "The Decision", every team that has expectations to contend next year should be at least guaging his interest level. He will probably bring in at least half his salary in added revenue anyway. Maybe they all do, and we just don't hear about it. If I'm a Twins fan, and I somehow gain inside knowledge that the front office did not even make one call to see his interest level, I would be pretty disillusioned.

khan
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Didn't that franchise just declare bankruptcy? How could they afford to re-sign him?

I tend to believe that he'll end up with the yankees next season as others here have stated.

russ99
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I also am not counting on Peavy's return. The fact that his muscle pulled off his bone really scares me. Scar tissue will form during the healing process so I'm really not counting on him. If he makes it back, it's a plus.

If Peavy makes it, which considering his will to succeed is a pretty decent bet, we have another top pitcher.

If he doesn't, insurance picks up his salary, we have more to spend and Sale steps into the rotation.

No worries.

Moses_Scurry
10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
The problem with your premise is that signing Lee would tie up 20% of your entire payroll - unless you are one of the top few teams in spending.

This automatically takes him off the list of all the teams that "think they may be in contention." It doesn't make any sense to invest that much money in one pitcher at the expense of the rest of the team.

I loved the Peavey trade at the time - now I think I may agree with Reinsdorf's prior stance on limiting multi-year contracts to pitchers.

QUOTE=Moses_Scurry;2638210]Ultimately it's Lee's decision where he goes. I'm just saying that he is absolutely incredible, especially in the post-season. Any team that at least thinks they have a decent chance next year should at least be preparing some kind of offer to make to him or else they are not serving their fanbase. Sure he will probably end up with the Yanks or Rangers, but you really do not know what is going on in his head. Maybe he grew up a big Reds fan, but hasn't told anybody.

While I don't want to see a big cross country tour with an hour special on ESPN to announce "The Decision", every team that has expectations to contend next year should be at least guaging his interest level. He will probably bring in at least half his salary in added revenue anyway. Maybe they all do, and we just don't hear about it. If I'm a Twins fan, and I somehow gain inside knowledge that the front office did not even make one call to see his interest level, I would be pretty disillusioned.[/QUOTE]

Most of the teams that are expecting to be in contention are at least decent spenders though. Plus, you have to figure that he will bring in a pretty decent chunk in added revenue. I think the biggest problem would be the number of years, but my opinion is just that all of these teams should at least be making a proposal. The team that offers 7+ years is most likely the team that will get him.

SF, LAD, cubs, Hou, Phil, Atl, NyM, Tex, Ana, Sox, Minn, Det, Yankees, Red Sox, Toronto are all teams that have shown in recent years that they will spend money. Most of these teams will at least think they have a chance at the postseason next year. I don't see how Lee would not help any of these teams tremendously.

doublem23
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
If Peavy makes it, which considering his will to succeed is a pretty decent bet, we have another top pitcher.

If he doesn't, insurance picks up his salary, we have more to spend and Sale steps into the rotation.

No worries.

And what happens if he's physically able to play but just isn't the same old Jake Peavy?

Moses_Scurry
10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
And what happens if he's physically able to play but just isn't the same old Jake Peavy?

This is what I'm most worried about. It also seems like the most likely option. He'll come back, but be like a number 5 inning eater.

Hitmen77
10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Why would any teams in contention NOT at least make some kind of effort to sign Cliff Lee this offseason? I don't care how stacked your rotation is, he makes you an automatic favorite. Imagine the Sox signing Lee and trading Danks for a stud right fielder. I can dream!

Ahhh, if it were only that simple for the Sox. If Sabathia is getting paid $23 million per year, Cliff Lee is probably getting at least that much. .....and there's probably a team out there that will give him a 5-7 year deal too.

There is just no way the Sox and most other teams are going to compete with that.

He's going to the Yankees, guys. On top of the fact that they've got what is essentially an unlimited payroll, they're also dropping about $40 M in back pay to players no longer on their roster and free agents.

I'm sure the Sox and Rangers will throw an offer at him to say they did, but there's no point in wasting time getting into serious negotiations with a guy who will be in Yankee pinstripes next April.

Bingo. If he's not staying with the Rangers (which is possible), he's going to the Yankees. The bottom line is that the Yankees already can afford a payroll that is something like $50 million more than the 2nd highest payroll team....and they seem poised to add even more. They're bringing in money that other teams can't possibly match. That's what's screwed up about MLB - the competitive balance is broken.

I don't blame the Yankees for spending the money they have, but their year after year of gobbling up other teams' all-stars (so that they only missed the playoffs once under the current format) makes the AL pennant chase seem like a farce. It's almost like having the Harlem Globetrotters playing in a legitimate league. Yeah, they don't win the pennant every single year (only 7 pennants since '96!) , but they're almost certain to be deep into the playoffs every year.

johnnyg83
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Didn't that franchise just declare bankruptcy? How could they afford to re-sign him?

I tend to believe that he'll end up with the yankees next season as others here have stated.

The Rangers were just sold to Nolan Ryan and Group.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth both Ryan and the new owner have been quoted in numerous publications (for example The Sporting News) as saying the Rangers are going to raise payroll "significantly" (direct quote) this off season and that the transition to new ownership will not limit what they can do.

The sense I get is the Rangers are about to become the next 'power' from a payroll standpoint in the American League. I fully expect them to make a very high offer to keep Lee.

Lip

khan
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
The Rangers were just sold to Nolan Ryan and Group.

Yes, we're aware of this. However, my recollection of the matter was that in the bankruptcy ruling, creditors became equity holders in the team.

If this is in fact the case, then the bankruptcy ruling may or may not affect future operations.