PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Sandoval

KMcMahon817
10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
This is totally my idea, and no I don't have any sources, but I've noticed that the Giants obviously don't like Pablo Sandoval's defense at third or at first. So much so that they have started Mike Fotenot at third the past two games. He is still young, only really two and half years of playing time and he isn't even arbitration eligible until after next season.

I am curious what others think about the possibility of KW inquiring on Sandoval this offseason as a LH power hitter for the DH spot. I don't know what it would take to pry him loose from the Giants, but maybe Viciedo (Huff is current 1B) and something else. Or maybe this is the blockbuster, and the Sox could send them Danks and the Giants include a prospect. I don't know if I would love that return on Danks, but I really do think that Sandoval would hit very well at US Cellular.

What do you guys think?

Tragg
10-18-2010, 12:14 AM
I am curious what others think about the possibility of KW inquiring on Sandoval this offseason as a LH power hitter for the DH spot.

he had a good 1/2 a year, excellent full year, pretty bad this year (13 homers; .323 obp).
He's risky
And his big year was 25 homers...that's a little light for a DH.
But, at the right price (i.e. cheap)....

Oh, and a side note.....Danks for Sandoval- that's absolutely nuts. Danks is one of the top young lefties in the league. Sandoval isn't top anything.

When players have down years, you pay a down price.
A top lefty for a mediocre DH type who can't play the field?????

CHISOXFAN13
10-18-2010, 12:47 AM
The Giants really don't need starting pitching, so I'm not sure they want a starting pitcher who will get a significant increase in salary shortly.

TDog
10-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Sandoval has had a bad season after doing so well last year. His problems this year have been more pronounced on offense than on defense. He had to leave the team (and the country, as it turned out) for a few days midseason to take care of family problems. He's been going through a divorce, and that was a factor in his on-the-field problems. His physical conditioning is another.

He led the National League in grounding into doubleplays and passed a runner on the basepaths and had only flashes where he looked like the same hitter he was last year. At the plate he looked more like Juan Uribe, or a mirror of Juan Uribe because the switch-hitting Sandoval ended up sitting against southpaws late in the season. He was better defensively last season as well. It is like he hasn't had his head in the game. There was a play this summer with the bases loaded and two outs when he chased down the runner from second to tag him for the third out, allowing a run to score, which wouldn't have happened if he had gone the the base for the force.

Still, Sandoval remains extremely popular in San Francisco. The Giants don't dislike him, but they recognize he is struggling. If he were hitting as well as he did last year, Fontenot wouldn't be starting at third.

I get the impression that Sandoval isn't going anywhere, that the Giants consider him their future, although not the face of the franchise with the development of Posey behind the plate.

KenBerryGrab
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
He's on the Mo Vaughn plan to eat his way out of baseball. No thanks.

kjhanson
10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
And his big year was 25 homers...that's a little light for a DH.

In 2010 only two DHs had more than 25 homers.
In 2009 only three DHs had more than 25 homers.
In 2008 only three DHs had more than 25 homers.

wassagstdu
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
There was a play this summer with the bases loaded and two outs when he chased down the runner from second to tag him for the third out, allowing a run to score, which wouldn't have happened if he had gone the the base for the force.

I think he is not quite sure where third base is located.

Tragg
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
In 2010 only two DHs had more than 25 homers.
In 2009 only three DHs had more than 25 homers.
In 2008 only three DHs had more than 25 homers.
If you're giving me the number of homers teams get out of their DH, which is how this should be measured, those numbers are surprising.

Still, at, best he's Carlos Quentin from the left side.

Let's trade one of the best LH pitchers in the AL for an inconsistent hitter who can't field a position and who isn't that good in a good year.
Brilliant idea.

What you should do, is try to get him on the cheap.

kjhanson
10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Let's trade one of the best LH pitchers in the AL for an inconsistent hitter who can't field a position and who isn't that good in a good year.
Brilliant idea.

My statement was merely of fact to dispel the myth that everyone has a 40 homer, 100 RBI DH. Now time for my opinion: Trading Danks for Sandoval would be an atrocious decision.

KMcMahon817
10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I agree with the past two posters that trading Danks for Sandoval straight up would be an awful trade for our SOX. That was not at all the point of the orginal post. I was merely reiterating that the thought of trading Danks this offseason has been tossed around here quite often, and that Sandoval would fit in well as the SOX DH. Maybe the two teams could come up with a trade that involves Sandoval, but again, trading the two straight up would not be a good business decision for the SOX, nor will happen.

EndemicSox
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
He's on the Mo Vaughn plan to eat his way out of baseball. No thanks.

Agreed...guy should be in excellent shape after two+ years in the big leagues with MLB trainers breathing down his neck...instead? He is a lazy, p.o.c. that is taking his talent/skill/luck/etc for granted...the Sox want nothing to do with these types, albeit the potential is still there for a 25-35HR DH...

palehozenychicty
10-26-2010, 10:27 AM
The Panda Bear..?! I'll take him, but not for a starting pitcher.

TDog
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
The Panda Bear..?! I'll take him, but not for a starting pitcher.

Would he be better than Dayan Viciedo? Offensively and defensively this year, they were comparable.