PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito: a contract that even Jim Hendry would turn down?

DumpJerry
10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-zitobust101510

Near the end of the article, it shows that his performance with the Giants should not be a complete surprise.

Chalk up another snow job for Borass.

TDog
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Funny thing is, the fans were excited about the contract when it was signed. Of course, Zito had been a great pitcher across the Bay. And I recall White Sox fans wanting to go hard after Zito when he was a free agent.

DumpJerry
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Funny thing is, the fans were excited about the contract when it was signed. Of course, Zito had been a great pitcher across the Bay. And I recall White Sox fans wanting to go hard after Zito when he was a free agent.
Coop woulda fixed him.

StillMissOzzie
10-17-2010, 02:02 PM
It is stories like this that make me appreciate JR's position on not signing starting pitchers for more than 4 years. with the durable Buehrle being a notable exception. You almost have to factor in a year off to recover from TJ surgery too. The Sox would be hamstrung for years if they were saddled with the Zito deal. Of course, with Bora$ being his agent, there's no way Zito would have been here anyhow.

SMO
:gulp:

Tragg
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Can't win them all.
giants are in the playoffs and looking strong.

TDog
10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Can't win them all.

And it has nothing to do with their recent big-money free agents, Zito and Rowand.

Pablo_Honey
10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
And it has nothing to do with their recent big-money free agents, Zito and Rowand.
While Kenny has made moves that I hated with passion, I thank the Lord that our GM is not Brian Sabean.

TDog
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
While Kenny has made moves that I hated with passion, I thank the Lord that our GM is not Brian Sabean.

Braian Sabean looks pretty good now, after signing Aubrey Huff cheap, picking up Pat Burrell after he was released by the Rays, picking up Cody Ross on waivers. If the White Sox had signed Aubrey Huff and he had had his Giants season in Chicago, the Sox might be in the ALDS right now.

asindc
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Can't win them all.

Are you implying that the Sox would be in the playoffs now if the Sox had signed Zito to that contract instead of SF?

Pablo_Honey
10-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Braian Sabean looks pretty good now, after signing Aubrey Huff cheap, picking up Pat Burrell after he was released by the Rays, picking up Cody Ross on waivers. If the White Sox had signed Aubrey Huff and he had had his Giants season in Chicago, the Sox might be in the ALDS right now.
Sabean has been pretty bad with his big FA signings (Off the top of my head: Zito, Rowand, Renteria, Derosa) although he probably deserves praise for little things like drafting Lincecum and Bumgarner, or picking up people off of waiver as you mentioned. I don't follow the Giants closely and all I hear about is how he makes boneheaded moves and his big name signings probably give him worse image than he deserves. Or maybe I'm just remembering too much of the Bonds' Giants when the roster was full of aging old men. Still, I'm glad we don't have Sabean. One thing I like about Kenny is his reluctance to pony up the dough in FA signings.

As for the Sox not making moves like signing Huff, that is all in hindsight. When the Giants signed him, the guy was coming off an ugly year and there was no idea on how much he would recover from it. Besides, now that I think back on it, the bullpen implosions and starters not delivering down the line cost us the division, not the offense, although the offense did choke in situations where they should have delieverd.

TDog
10-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Sabean has been pretty bad with his big FA signings (Off the top of my head: Zito, Rowand, Renteria, Derosa) although he probably deserves praise for little things like drafting Lincecum and Bumgarner, or picking up people off of waiver as you mentioned. I don't follow the Giants closely and all I hear about is how he makes boneheaded moves and his big name signings probably give him worse image than he deserves. Or maybe I'm just remembering too much of the Bonds' Giants when the roster was full of aging old men. Still, I'm glad we don't have Sabean. One thing I like about Kenny is his reluctance to pony up the dough in FA signings.

As for the Sox not making moves like signing Huff, that is all in hindsight. When the Giants signed him, the guy was coming off an ugly year and there was no idea on how much he would recover from it. Besides, now that I think back on it, the bullpen implosions and starters not delivering down the line cost us the division, not the offense, although the offense did choke in situations where they should have delieverd.

Of course the Sox signing Huff part is hindsight. I never claimed that it wasn't. And it's possible like many good hitters, he hits better when he's actually playing rather coming off the bench as a DH. I certainly wouldn't argue that Williams not signing Huff was what doomed the season. That's all hypothetical and really irrelevant.

My point is that Sabean is no longer considered a failure in Northern California. He has assembled a team with perhaps the best starting rotation in baseball, despite signing one flop free agent starter and shored up both the offense and the bullpen on the fly in July and August when things looked like they could get ugly because the Giants bullpen was imploding and they were losing too many low-scoring games.

asindc
10-17-2010, 04:03 PM

KW's philosophy in this regard is definitely under-appreciated by many Sox fans. Some fans seem to work themselves into a fit every offseason when the Sox don't win the FA sweepstakes. Remember how some reacted after SF signed Rowand to that ridiculous contract instead of the Sox.

Pablo_Honey
10-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Of course the Sox signing Huff part is hindsight. I never claimed that it wasn't. And it's possible like many good hitters, he hits better when he's actually playing rather coming off the bench as a DH. I certainly wouldn't argue that Williams not signing Huff was what doomed the season. That's all hypothetical and really irrelevant.
I take things literally so when I see statements like this...
[QUOTE=TDog;2637680]If the White Sox had signed Aubrey Huff and he had had his Giants season in Chicago, the Sox might be in the ALDS right now.
...it tells me that you think the 2010 season would have been different with an Aubrey Huff signing, which is why I said 'pen implosions and starter chokes cost us the division. But this is derailing the thread so I'll stop here.

My point is that Sabean is no longer considered a failure in Northern California. He has assembled a team with perhaps the best starting rotation in baseball, despite signing one flop free agent starter and shored up both the offense and the bullpen on the fly in July and August when things looked like they could get ugly because the Giants bullpen was imploding and they were losing too many low-scoring games.
True, I guess Sabean has redeemed himself this season but it's hard to ignore unnecessarily big contracts like Zito and Rowand when they were clearly not worth the money when they became FAs. If he wanted to spend big, he should have spent it on better players.