PDA

View Full Version : FOX pulls NY and Philly stations from Cablevision - NLCS telecast in doubt

Fenway
10-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Fox pulls plug on its stations on Cablevision, leaving viewers in jeopardy of missing NLCS opener

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/10/16/2010-10-16_tv_flap_may_hit_baseball.html#ixzz12XEUYJaO

QyEM4hLA7Pg

pearso66
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Fox is threatening to pull from Dish Network also, but they are blaming Dish for being greedy. Saying that Dish says they want more than 50% increase, and that they are not asking for that. I read an article that says from Cablevision they were getting 70 mil and now want 150. Sounds like Dish is the one to believe in this. They say they make less money than ESPN does, last I checked, ESPN is a subscription channel, Fox you can get for free with an antenna. I hope Dish Network doesn't lose Fox but it does sound like they are being a little greedy.

Red Barchetta
10-16-2010, 04:23 PM
...remember when TV was free?! :(:

pearso66
10-16-2010, 04:32 PM
...remember when TV was free?! :(:

From my understanding it still can be. My Grandma doesn't pay for cable and gets like 32 channels, plus some in HD.

Fenway
10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
FOX isn't budging as the NFL including the GIANTS blacked out in much of NY

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/giants-game-in-the-balance-in-cablevision-fox-fight/?src=twt&twt=nytimestv

downstairs
10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
People do realize a $10 antenna solves all their problems when it comes to network TV?

I have DirecTV, but often flip over to my antenna to get programming (in HD) when a rainstorm makes the sattellite unreliable. My antenna seems more reliable during the rain.

Still, you're not going to miss any network TV. It is free over the air still.

cnw8052
10-17-2010, 07:18 PM
That depends where you live.

Where I live, an antenna gets me maybe 3 channels if the reception is good. Cable/satellite is the ONLY way to get anything here.

People do realize a $10 antenna solves all their problems when it comes to network TV?

I have DirecTV, but often flip over to my antenna to get programming (in HD) when a rainstorm makes the sattellite unreliable. My antenna seems more reliable during the rain.

Still, you're not going to miss any network TV. It is free over the air still.

Fenway
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Try to get WBBM-DT over the air. It is next to impossible to lock in.

New York is brutal for over the air signals and cable is a must as DirectTV is knocked out by tall buildings in most areas.

Fenway
10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
FOX version of events

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/an-open-letter-to-cablevision-subscribers-from-wnyw

CABLEVISION version

http://www.cablevision.com/fox/index.jsp?ftrack=cvcfox

downstairs
10-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok, cool. I didn't realize over the air was so difficult to get in even highly populated areas. Guess I'm just lucky. I got my first HD tv 2 years ago, and when I put the antenna on, it "just worked". Then, yeah, I can see this being a major problem for those fans.

Fenway
10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Ok, cool. I didn't realize over the air was so difficult to get in even highly populated areas. Guess I'm just lucky. I got my first HD tv 2 years ago, and when I put the antenna on, it "just worked". Then, yeah, I can see this being a major problem for those fans.

Digital TV was pushed back a few years in the US when the DTV transmitters in New York fell on 9/11. They use the Empire State now but it doesnt have the range of the WTC.

Manhattan is Time-Warner and RCN so they are not affected but the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester , Long Island and Western Connecticut are.

voodoochile
10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Digital TV was pushed back a few years in the US when the DTV transmitters in New York fell on 9/11. They use the Empire State now but it doesnt have the range of the WTC.

Manhattan is Time-Warner and RCN so they are not affected but the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester , Long Island and Western Connecticut are.

In San Jose we played with a digital antenna but was unable to pick up ANY of the major broadcast stations. I wanted cable anyway, but gave it a shot. So we got cable.

Fenway
10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
This is a big deal and I wonder how long MLB and the NFL will say nothing

http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/jpg18/lg/NY_DN.jpg

http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/jpg18/lg/NY_MET.jpg

downstairs
10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
In San Jose we played with a digital antenna but was unable to pick up ANY of the major broadcast stations. I wanted cable anyway, but gave it a shot. So we got cable.

I totally understand how someone far from Chicago (like the poster from Rock Falls who responded to me) have this issue, but I'm truly shocked that people in NYC and San Jose have these issues. I'm no expert, but I'm just curious how that can be?

I live in New Orleans, right near our downtown (French Quarter/Central Business District). From everything I've heard most of the antennas are located there, 2-3 miles from me. So I guess I'm just lucky- I've never had even the slightest interferrence on my antenna. Not even during rain.

Maybe because so many people have cable, people just don't care. But free TV was the foundation for a major part of the communication in this country for 50+ years... surprising that it seems that's neglected now.

voodoochile
10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I totally understand how someone far from Chicago (like the poster from Rock Falls who responded to me) have this issue, but I'm truly shocked that people in NYC and San Jose have these issues. I'm no expert, but I'm just curious how that can be?

I live in New Orleans, right near our downtown (French Quarter/Central Business District). From everything I've heard most of the antennas are located there, 2-3 miles from me. So I guess I'm just lucky- I've never had even the slightest interferrence on my antenna. Not even during rain.

Maybe because so many people have cable, people just don't care. But free TV was the foundation for a major part of the communication in this country for 50+ years... surprising that it seems that's neglected now.

Well the major broadcast stations are located in Oakland and San Francisco around these parts. Both of those are 40-50 miles away though technically we are all part of the "Bay Area Metropolitan Region". In addition there are actually mountains between where I live and San Francisco (not sure about Oakland because I don't know the geography around here very well, but every way I look I can see mountains fairly close so it wouldn't surprise me at all).

khan
10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Well the major broadcast stations are located in Oakland and San Francisco around these parts. Both of those are 40-50 miles away though technically we are all part of the "Bay Area Metropolitan Region". In addition there are actually mountains between where I live and San Francisco (not sure about Oakland because I don't know the geography around here very well, but every way I look I can see mountains fairly close so it wouldn't surprise me at all).

Don't you mean "topography?" [I've been looking for a reason to use that word lately, and need a use-ruling.]

In any case, I'm rarely home, so I cancelled cable. In it's place, I got the free digital TV converter, and an amplified antenna [one that plugs into AC power] for ~$5 off Craigslist. I can get pretty much every OTA station on the rare occations that I'm home and watch TV. [Even some of the stations that are down in NW indiana.

IMO, [and on a side note] this is just one more reason why cable needs to be a la carte in this country. There were maybe ~5-10 pay channels that I'd use regularly, plus another ~5 or so more beyond that that I'd use on occasion when I had cable. Why pay a nickel for the assclowns in bristol if I don't have to do so?

Fenway
10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Good example is NBC 11 in the Bay Area - try getting that OTA in SF as the xmtr is in San Jose.

Before the conversion Boston could get the Providence stations OTA - not anymore

voodoochile
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't you mean "topography?" [I've been looking for a reason to use that word lately, and need a use-ruling.]

I probably do...

asindc
10-18-2010, 03:21 PM

In any case, I'm rarely home, so I cancelled cable. In it's place, I got the free digital TV converter, and an amplified antenna [one that plugs into AC power] for ~$5 off Craigslist. I can get pretty much every OTA station on the rare occations that I'm home and watch TV. [Even some of the stations that are down in NW indiana.

IMO, [and on a side note] this is just one more reason why cable needs to be a la carte in this country. There were maybe ~5-10 pay channels that I'd use regularly, plus another ~5 or so more beyond that that I'd use on occasion when I had cable. Why pay a nickel for the assclowns in bristol if I don't have to do so?

I probably do...

Ok, I'll bite.:smile: "Geography" is the correct term here because Voodoo is referring to where Oakland is in relation to its surroundings. The "mountains" reference is incidental to that. If he had said "I'm not sure which mountain I'm looking at when I look out my kitchen window, then "topography" would be the correct term.

khan
10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok, I'll bite.:smile: "Geography" is the correct term here because Voodoo is referring to where Oakland is in relation to its surroundings. The "mountains" reference is incidental to that. If he had said "I'm not sure which mountain I'm looking at when I look out my kitchen window, then "topography" would be the correct term.
Are you sure about this?

1. "Topography" would, in fact concern the terrain of the area surrounding vodoo's house, no?

2. Since voodoo didn't specifically mention the sierra madres or whatever mountain chain that surround his house, wouldn't this also contradict your statement here?

asindc
10-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Are you sure about this?

1. "Topography" would, in fact concern the terrain of the area surrounding vodoo's house, no?

2. Since voodoo didn't specifically mention the sierra madres or whatever mountain chain that surround his house, wouldn't this also contradict your statement here?

Yes, I'm sure. His reference to Oakland is to the geography of the area. He did not specifically mention which mountains he was looking at, but if he had a question about them similar to his question about Oakland, then that question would be about the topography of what he was looking at, not where they were in relation to their surroundings. Your 1. is correct. Topography does concern the terrain, but he had expressed uncertainty about where Oakland is in relation to his house, not the mountains. That is unless I misunderstood his statement and he is saying that he is not sure there are mountains in between where he lives and Oakland. If that is what he is saying, then topography is the correct term.

EDIT: Yep, it's a slow afternoon for me. :)

FielderJones
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Try to get WBBM-DT over the air. It is next to impossible to lock in.

I get WBBM-DT just fine. After the switch from channel 3 to channel 12 (http://www.stationindex.com/tv/markets/Chicago), the WBBM-DT signal became much easier to tune.

Hitmen77
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Old Giants fans in NY caught up in this dispute:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/nyregion/27giantsfans.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/27/fox-cablevision-dispute-leaves-old-giants-fans-in-dark/

I'm surprised to hear that there are still some Giants fans in New York!

Balfanman
10-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Not even during the hurricane several years ago? :?:

asindc
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Old Giants fans in NY caught up in this dispute:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/nyregion/27giantsfans.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/27/fox-cablevision-dispute-leaves-old-giants-fans-in-dark/

I work with a native New Yorker who still roots for the Giants.

jdm2662
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Hell, there are still some people here who think the football Cardinals are still in Chicago.

TDog
10-28-2010, 01:23 PM

That surprises me. I've known old Brooklyn Dodgers fans who have nothing but scorn for the LA Dodgers. My father grew up a Dodgers fan, and after he got out of the Marine Corps because a White Sox fan, rooting against the Dodgers in the World Series.

There was a Hollywood crowd in the late 1950s that started on Broadway and New York (i.e. Groucho Marx) who had always been Dodgers fans and became part of the early Dodgers fan base, but I've never met anyone from New York who remained a Giants fan after they left.

The funny thing is that after the Giants and Dodgers left New York, Yankees attendance dropped (or so I've been told, I've never gone to the trouble of looking it up). The expansion Mets incorporated the look of the Dodgers and Giants into their caps and uniforms to get back both of the NL fan bases.

Johnny Mostil
10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
That surprises me. I've known old Brooklyn Dodgers fans who have nothing but scorn for the LA Dodgers. My father grew up a Dodgers fan, and after he got out of the Marine Corps because a White Sox fan, rooting against the Dodgers in the World Series.

There was a Hollywood crowd in the late 1950s that started on Broadway and New York (i.e. Groucho Marx) who had always been Dodgers fans and became part of the early Dodgers fan base, but I've never met anyone from New York who remained a Giants fan after they left.

The funny thing is that after the Giants and Dodgers left New York, Yankees attendance dropped (or so I've been told, I've never gone to the trouble of looking it up). The expansion Mets incorporated the look of the Dodgers and Giants into their caps and uniforms to get back both of the NL fan bases.

I've never met a Brooklyn fan who had anything but scorn for the L.A. Dodgers. I've met one or two Giants fans who followed the team, but considered them exceptional.

Yankee attendance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/attend.shtml) appears to have dropped modestly in 1958. It then increased through 1961, to 1,747,725, but dropped in 1962 to 1,493,574.

asindc
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Oddly, he roots for both the Giants and the Mets. Really, really hates the Yanks.

Hitmen77
10-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Hell, there are still some people here who think the football Cardinals are still in Chicago.

That surprises me. I've known old Brooklyn Dodgers fans who have nothing but scorn for the LA Dodgers.

......The expansion Mets incorporated the look of the Dodgers and Giants into their caps and uniforms to get back both of the NL fan bases.

I've never met a Brooklyn fan who had anything but scorn for the L.A. Dodgers. I've met one or two Giants fans who followed the team, but considered them exceptional.

Interesting. I wonder if this means there are still some A's fans left in Philadelphia or Braves fans left in Boston?

One difference with the Giants (and Dodgers) is that a new team did come along a few years later (Mets) to take their place. They didn't just have to turn to their hated crosstown rival.

Here's an article I found by a New Yorker who has stuck with the Giants all these years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5729746

jdm2662
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Interesting. I wonder if this means there are still some A's fans left in Philadelphia or Braves fans left in Boston?

One difference with the Giants (and Dodgers) is that a new team did come along a few years later (Mets) to take their place. They didn't just have to turn to their hated crosstown rival.

Here's an article I found by a New Yorker who has stuck with the Giants all these years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5729746

When did the A's and Braves leave their respective cities? I know the Giants, Dodgers, and football Cardinals left their respective cities in the late 50s. So, it's certainly possible to have fans still left, if they choose to still follow the team.

downstairs
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Not even during the hurricane several years ago? :?:

Heh... I was living in Chicago in 2005. Moved down to NOLA in 2006. Yeah, while I happened to evacuate during Gustav in 2008... I'll caveat my statement that my antenna probably did not work well those few days. ;)

downstairs
10-28-2010, 04:54 PM
For those who care, the issue still continues:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/10/cablevision-fox-dispute-comes-to-legal-blows.html

Johnny Mostil
10-28-2010, 07:10 PM
When did the A's and Braves leave their respective cities? I know the Giants, Dodgers, and football Cardinals left their respective cities in the late 50s. So, it's certainly possible to have fans still left, if they choose to still follow the team.

Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953 (and Atlanta in 1966). I've seen some contention that the Braves moving to Milwaukee helped prod O'Malley to move the Dodgers, given the large numbers they drew to County Stadium, and the small capacity of Ebbets Field. In fact, the Braves did lead the NL in attendance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/attend.shtml) from 1953 through 1958. They drew 281K in their last year in Boston, and 2.1M in their second year in Milwaukee.

The Athletics moved to Kansas City in 1955 (and to Oakland in 1968). They were generally awful in the 1950s, but did get a 1.1 million boost in attendance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/attend.shtml) their first year after the move. After that, it looks like KC fans realized how bad they were.

The Browns also became the Orioles around this time, moving from St. Louis to Baltimore in 1954. FWIW, their attendance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml), too, was woeful their last years in St. Louis.

More precisely, the Dodgers and Giants moved west in 1958. And the football Cardinals moved to St. Louis in 1960 (and to Phoenix in 1988).

jdm2662
10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953 (and Atlanta in 1966). I've seen some contention that the Braves moving to Milwaukee helped prod O'Malley to move the Dodgers, given the large numbers they drew to County Stadium, and the small capacity of Ebbets Field. In fact, the Braves did lead the NL in attendance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/attend.shtml) from 1953 through 1958. They drew 281K in their last year in Boston, and 2.1M in their second year in Milwaukee.

My mother-in-law is from Wisconsin and was a huge Braves fan. She had plenty of stuff, and she loved Eddie Matthews. She became a Sox fan when they moved. She did not catch on to the Brewers, and she refused to follow the Cubs.

and of course, who remembers the episode on Happy Days when Fonzie was upset that the Braves were moving to Atlanta.:redneck

Johnny Mostil
10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
My mother-in-law is from Wisconsin and was a huge Braves fan. She had plenty of stuff, and she loved Eddie Matthews. She became a Sox fan when they moved. She did not catch on to the Brewers, and she refused to follow the Cubs.

and of course, who remembers the episode on Happy Days when Fonzie was upset that the Braves were moving to Atlanta.:redneck

Seriously, was there such a thing? I hadn't known the timeline for that show went past the 1950s. (Although I do remember a "Laverne and Shirley" episode set on New Year's Eve 1959/60. :redface:)

Hitmen77
10-28-2010, 11:33 PM

For some reason, I have heard more Milwaukee fans clinging to the memory of the Braves than other cities clinging to their ex-teams. Maybe it's because the Braves were very successful during their short stay there (2 pennants, 1 world championship, Hank Aaron, Spahn, Matthews). The Brewers haven't come close to that even with the Gorman Thomas/'82 pennant years. Maybe that's the thing with some NY fans clinging to the Giants too....they actually had a lot of successful memories.

Seriously, was there such a thing? I hadn't known the timeline for that show went past the 1950s. (Although I do remember a "Laverne and Shirley" episode set on New Year's Eve 1959/60. :redface:)

LOL! I remember that Laverne and Shirley episode too. Wasn't Lenny or Squiggy climbing down some rope or something as they counted down to 1960?

But seriously, once both of those shows got into the 60s, they were way past their prime and I had stopped watching. The last straw for L&S was when they moved to California:rolleyes:. I certainly wasn't watching anymore if Happy Days got up to the Braves moving, but I do remember tuning in to Laverne and Shirley once long after I had stopped watching and was surprised to see that they were set in 1967!:o: [/thread hijack]

Fenway
10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
One / third of New York City can't see the World Series and FOX doesn't care.

However they are worried about the Super Bowl.

Raissman: Only fans can lose in FOX fight

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/10/29/2010-10-29_forecast_for_super_standoff.html

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
For some reason, I have heard more Milwaukee fans clinging to the memory of the Braves than other cities clinging to their ex-teams. Maybe it's because the Braves were very successful during their short stay there (2 pennants, 1 world championship, Hank Aaron, Spahn, Matthews). The Brewers haven't come close to that even with the Gorman Thomas/'82 pennant years. Maybe that's the thing with some NY fans clinging to the Giants too....they actually had a lot of successful memories.

There were a lot of people in New York who stuck with the Dodgers. In fact, most Met fans I knew in New York were the grandchildren of Dodger and Giant fans and that their grandparents were still very bitter about the Dodgers and Giants leaving.

Johnny Mostil
10-30-2010, 12:20 AM
There were a lot of people in New York who stuck with the Dodgers. In fact, most Met fans I knew in New York were the grandchildren of Dodger and Giant fans and that their grandparents were still very bitter about the Dodgers and Giants leaving.

My grandmother was one of them. But she didn't stick with the Giants. She just waited for the Mets. (My dad, a Dodgers fan, started rooting for the Yanks, as his father long had done.)

skobabe8
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
FOX is back on Cablevision. Cablevision blinked first according to reports.

pearso66
10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
FOX is back on Cablevision. Cablevision blinked first according to reports.

Fox and Dish Network came up with a deal also, I wonder who won that one. Probably Fox since they showed they were willing to pull their main channel off the air.